Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Satisfaction Services is not paying me money that their schedulers told me that they'd pay
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Deborah

Meadow Lake, SK
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  2:32:01 PM
I don't know about laws in the USA but here in Canada a Verbal contract is Legaly Binding, harder to prove yes, but just as legaly binding. So, Bill, I have to say thanks for posting your problem with this company It's good to know that they don't live up to there verbal obligations, and that shoppers really need the e-mails from them. Hope you get your money.
Deborah
(Time is money)

Shopping Northern and Central SK,
MSPA Silver Cert. na03oq
Go to Top of Page

Heather_K
Valued Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  07:01:30 AM
Marylou states: BTW, Bill is only out "time" not "money". It's not as if he spent $40 on unreturnable merchandise.

I don't understand how a MSer can say this with a straight face, unless I am really missing something. If you accept a job you're told will pay you $50, then your check comes and it's $10, would you feel as if, "ahh well, I'm just out time, not money" and feel nothing? Or would you be hopping mad and fighting to get the other $40 which is rightfully owed to you? I suppose I see my "time" as "money" while MSing. I would think a lawyer who charges $100 an hour feels he is out "money" as well when he doesn't get paid.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLou
Inactive

East County / San Diego, CA
USA
915 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  08:12:35 AM
Heather,

My point is that had he done a $200 dinner and not been paid, that would have been an entirely different story. I do feel badly for JC. I just don't think that he will get resolution from the BBB.
I have done thousands of shops. I have been paid for all but one. I am owed $20 for an observation only shop, which was completed in December 2001. I am not dwelling on it. I am out 30 minutes of my time and 30 minutes from the report.
Geez, life is short. Those shops only paid $15 each to start. The company doesn't seem like they are going to pay at this point. I am not about to rally behind somebody who is owed $15.76.

That's just my opinion. I have never had any problems with this company.
Go to Top of Page

CabrusoBros
Star Contributor

NC
USA
744 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  2:59:47 PM
Always a good reminder to the veterans...documentation, documentation, documentation. In the past, I have been contacted by a service by phone (including by cell while out working.) I will give a verbal agreement to accept a shop with the understanding that the scheduler send me an email confirming what we have agreed upon. It is amazing how much can get lost in the translation between one person and another. It is sadly even more amazing that a service would not honor a commitment made to a shopper. As Sandi says, make a note of this service. What I've learned...(1)Keep good written records and insist on written instructions especially when negotiating unusual contractor pay and (2)Keep in mind there is always recourse be it the BBB or this forum.
Go to Top of Page

MisterBill
Star Contributor

NY
USA
261 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  6:42:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLou

Geez, life is short. Those shops only paid $15 each to start. The company doesn't seem like they are going to pay at this point. I am not about to rally behind somebody who is owed $15.76.

Not to nitpick, but the shops did not pay only $15 in my case. Because they were emergency shops, they paid $25 (although for one of them they claim it was only $20, but I didn't even bother bringing that up here because I wasn't positive, but did find it strange that they showed me getting a larger bonus the second time when I was quite sure it was supposed to be the same each time). So while I did not bring it up, it was even more confusing in my case because there was some bonus piece which was not reflected in the shop info, and that piece was being paid no matter what I spent (or did not).

And please be sure to let us know what amount we have to be out before you'll "rally behind" us. Obviously we've determined that $15.76 isn't enough. Should it be $20? $50? $160?

In my case, I guess I can say that I've gotten my $15.76 worth of venting in this thread. I don't think that JCinNC has gotten their $160 worth yet, however.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Heather_K
Valued Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  12:24:35 PM
Marylou,

Certianly it's up to you to decide what you're worth. If you don't feel as if your time is worth anything, then don't get upset or do anything when you don't get paid. Personally, I take it to a more global level - should companies be able to get away with stiffing shoppers? If I don't inquire, email, phone, threaten etc. to get the money I've been promised for the service I've provided then the company may think "hey, cool, we don't have to pay these people because they're too lazy to do anything about it!". If *I* don't fight for what's mine, the next shopper that comes along is more likely to get stiffed. I don't think it's right to let dishonest people get away with being dishonest.

Yes, the world would be a lovely place if no one got upset that they didn't get paid for services they provided - lawyers, doctors, accountants could all work on a "pay if you want, I'm only out time so it's no big deal" scale. Unfortunately, landlords and grocery stores don't also work with that same scale.

FTR, I have never worked for the company the OP is talking about so I can't comment specifically on them. But I have chased a few payments and after a few phone calls have been paid. Life is short and I haven't lost sleep over it - but my time is valuable and I intend to be paid. If the OP wants to go to the BBB, good for him. It wouldn't change my mind if it was $5 or $200 - it's the principle.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLou
Inactive

East County / San Diego, CA
USA
915 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  5:21:02 PM
Heather,

This thread has taken a strange turn. I am not sure what would make you think that I am above calling when a payment is due. If the shop is done correctly, the shopper should get paid. As I stated earlier, I have done thousands of shops and have been paid for all but one. The checks did not all come in time. I have made phone calls, sent e-mails and re-submitted receipts just like everyone else.
My time certainly is valuable. I keep very good records of my correspondence in case there is a misunderstanding. I have been shorted a bonus or two over the years. I made a phone call or sent a copy of the e-mail and was paid on the next check, every single time.

"I don't think it's right to let dishonest people get away with being dishonest." (I couldn't agree with you more.) Not all schedulers are honest. Not all shoppers are honest. Sometimes there is miscommunication on both sides.

Enjoy your shops. I know I do.

Go to Top of Page

Leigh

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  5:38:55 PM  Send Leigh an AOL message
Regarding Satisfaction Services, I have completed numerous shops for them at the sporting good store. I have always found the instructions simple, clear and concise. What is even nicer is that there is a sample report of how they would like the narrative to be written. True, the pay is low, and they are very slow, but I like to work them in my mall mystery shopping route, pick up a new package of socks and complete an easy report. I would not go out of my way to do this shop, but if the time frame and location works, I love it.
Go to Top of Page

Emma
Valued Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
196 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  5:44:17 PM
I have done more than one type of shop for Satisfaction Services and have always been paid. The first time they called me, they specifically told me (more than once) on the phone that I would receive an email and would need to accept/decline the shop. They specifically told me that if I did not get this email, I needed to call them before doing anything. I cannot say that things did not happen the way the shopper reported them, but it seems quite different than my normal dealings with them. As a shopper, I tend to like to get things "in writing" (email, fax, whatever) when there is something different than the norm. I have had occasions that I needed to prove that conversations "exist" with other shopping companies, and find this to be helpful.
Go to Top of Page

.KrisPittman
Inactive

Cordova, TN
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  3:49:31 PM
I did my very first shop ever for Satisfaction Services at the beginning of this month. I found out after the fact that they tried to contact me at work prior to emailing me about the shop. Turns out, my manager's name is Kris, so they just assumed she was me when they called. So much for being anonymous! I won't get paid until the end of July, so I haven't had a problem with payment from them. But I was a little curious as to whether or not they offered feedback about the quality of your shop (since it was my first, I wanted to make sure I had done a good job). All I got was an email confirming that they'd received my report. Has anyone ever gotten feedback from them? Just curious

Kristin Pittman
MSPA Silver Certified #sf9r4i
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

0 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  05:44:47 AM
On May 31, 2003 I had done a dinner shop at a hotel which costed me 120$. I
submitted it on June 1, 2003. When submitting I get no reference number all I
see is "Thanks for submitting"
This coming pays the 25th of the month after the assignment. I had not gotten my
check so I went to their website and I see that my Dinner shop was not
submitted. All the info I had typed out was there, all I had to do was hit the
submit button.

I did that on June 1, I didn''t understand why my assignment was still there. I
called Brian to find out and he sits there and tells me "we tried calling you bu
there was no answer". I have been in contact with this man ONLY on emails and he
tells me he only called me.

He said that I never submitted the assignment on June 1, 2003. I told him that I
submitted the assignment and it said "Thanks for submitting". I also told him
that I have a feeling that he put that assignment back in my shops as if I never
hit the submit button.

I have been a shopper for 4 years and I have NEVER experienced anything like
this. He said that he will not pay me and I am angry at the fact that I spent
120$ canadian dollars on a luxury dinner shop.

This is a warning for futur shoppers!!!!
_____

BillRubin and JCinNc let me know if you have complained to the BBB about Satisfaction Services because this is ridiculous.

I AM A SPAMMMMMMMMMMMMMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAA
Go to Top of Page

CathyInMD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
441 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  11:16:07 AM  Visit CathyInMD's Homepage
I recently did a shop for Satisfaction Services and was told during the phone conversation that I would receive and email to accept or decline as well. The shop went just fine and did mention that it was up to the reimbursable amount plus the fee for filling out the report. Now, just need to wait for payment. By the other posts here, I guess it will be a little while.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping In Maryland
xiffkw
Go to Top of Page

NatrinaNC
Valued Contributor

High Point, NC
USA
159 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  03:22:46 AM  Visit NatrinaNC's Homepage  Send NatrinaNC an AOL message
I've never gotten feedback. I've completed 2 shops in June.
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  07:22:44 AM
Maybe they should change their name to . . .

"I can't get no satisfaction"

Thanks for the warning, guys. Luckily I haven't dealt with them yet.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums