Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

.KaBryant
Inactive

Scottsdale, AZ
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:05:42 PM
I would not copy and paste the note here on this, reasons obvious to all but in words similar,"perhaps you had a family emergency, that is acceptable, but if there is no good reason, that is unacceptable, seeing as how you are silver certified." Then stating the typical you commit to a shop, you should keep the commitment. As to other posters, I would not have have done a interaction/purchase/return while on codeine (it totally knocks me out) and to attempt that would be more in violation than declining a shop. I would not be alert at all to anything going on in the store or be able to perform what was necessary to complete the shop. I am in no ways making excuses but stating what I go through sometimes 3 times a week physically. I do not enjoy it, I have small children at home now and it is dangerous to not know what they are doing while on medication. I do not make a habit of cancelling shops, usually I pick up what others have declined. My main concern is, that I was not called and asked why but sent an e-mail, the chickens way out. A call would have prevented my need to vent but the manager I talked to did not like the wording of this and asked me to forward it to her after reading it thus inferring that she thought and said it was offensive. She also said the scheduler should have called.
Go to Top of Page

MPresley
Valued Contributor

Lake Mary, FL
USA
155 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:42:58 PM
Sorry and don't take this as rude...but if you're flat on your back up to three times a week by these headaches then perhaps you should rethink MSing as it has frequent and many times fast paced deadlines. You will end up being "bad listed" on many lists and not just the one in question.

GOLD Certificate hxxy4v shopping Orlando, Winter Park, Sanford, Lake Mary, Orange City, Deltona, Deland, Oviedo, Altamonte Springs, FL
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1852 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:59:21 PM
about those headaches...

My sister suffered terrible migraines, where she would have to go into the hospital and get an injection of codeine and a vial of vicodin to stop them. She started taking cayenne pepper tincture, removed dairy from her diet, and voila! they stopped. Nobody should have to live in that kind of pain.

I do think that you failed to see the scheduler's point of view. I also think that people make mistakes, and it's a lot more beneficial to educate rather than vilify them.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

MaryAnne in VA

VA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  4:31:50 PM
I hope you feel better soon, I know how headaches can stop you in your tracks at time.

Is it possible that since you are so attached to the situation you cannot see where she is coming from and making a mountain out an ant hill? I mean you did reschedule once and then cancel again. Maybe her wording just rubbed you the wrong way. I'm sure she might have been harsh, and this in no way excuses a "rude" email, but schedulers get excuses all the time and maybe she felt you were being a deadbeat shopper too. Plus, you didn't call her, why did you expect her to call you?

Hope you get some kind of resolution.
MaryAnne
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  4:39:42 PM
I still dont understand why you take offense on the communication via internet. That is how you rescheduled and ultimetly cancelled the shop, right? Did you call them, no.
Go to Top of Page

Francine Meadows
Inactive

USA
964 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  6:13:07 PM
"Then stating the typical you commit to a shop, you should keep the commitment."

That seems pretty reasonable for the scheduler to point out.

"I am in no ways making excuses but stating what I go through sometimes 3 times a week physically."

I'm sorry that you have to deal with pain so often. It can really make life hard. Under the circumstances you might want to consider not taking as many jobs. Or at least take jobs that have a large time frame. That way you will be better able to complete them.

"My main concern is, that I was not called and asked why but sent an e-mail, the chickens way out."

This scheduler most likely has many people to deal with. Sometimes it is a lot easier to send out a quick email than to try to track someone down over the phone. Jobs are offered, accepted, and declined through email. There is nothing wrong with communicating in that fashion. Also, if you were feeling terrible then I would think that you wouldn't have been in any shape to take a phone call anyway. At least the email allowed you to respond when you were ready and not while out of it from medicine.

Francine Meadows
Go to Top of Page

ShAndrews
Inactive

Inland Empire, California
USA
480 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  6:37:26 PM  Send ShAndrews an AOL message
I have never gotten a call from a scheduler, and I've been shopping for a year! I would probably have a heart attack if one did call me (LOL)! I prefer emails, that way everything is nice and documented, and you don't get into a whole "he said/she said" situation. [:p]

Shannon R. Andrews
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Inland Empire, Southern California
Go to Top of Page

CabrusoBros
Star Contributor

NC
USA
744 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  07:05:31 AM
Before anyone thinks the responding posters have no heart and no sympathy, we do recognize that pain as it applies to any of us cannot be measured by anyone else. I think where most took offense were the comments such as "being spit on", "typical commit to shop", "chickens way out", etc. The original poster sees absolutely no wrong in how she handled her side of things. By finishing up stating that she would "take a break and check other websites," she indicates that she feels the service was completely at fault and that should another service handle a similar situation with her migraines the same way, she would simply move on. You have to give in return what you expect in return. I think we all certainly wish the shopper the best on her road to recovering from this affliction and hope that such a situation does not occur in the future. As Julie says, the responders most likely intended to help by educating and presenting an outsider's point of view.
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  08:19:31 AM
I dont know who the "vilify" refers to. I myself am a compassionate person. However, when I see a post that is so one sided and a shopper who is having trouble seeing the big picture and taking absolutely no responsibility for a situation that was a direct result of HER action(and inaction) then I think it to her benefit to try to stress the major faults in the handling of the matter.
Go to Top of Page

.Lindy
Inactive

Pioneer, CA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  1:43:39 PM
It's interesting to note that shedulers not only read the messages boards but also post replies. I would like to share with other shoppers what I have recently experienced. My husband was severely hurt on his job last Monday. Since I was out MSing at the time, I was not notified until 4 hrs later. (Time to get a cell phone, I know!) He underwent surgery on Tues. To make a long story as short as possible, I had to cancel some shops. Every scheduler I contacted either by Email or phone was sincerely sympathetic and understanding. One sheduler even offered to cancel another shop that I had accepted but I told her I could complete it since it was located within a few blocks of the hospital. The same for the assignment I had with Cam at ESP. I don't remember if I told her about my personal situation or not. I had already committed to do a reshop because when I originally visited the location, the salesperson was the same one from a different location I had just shopped a few days prior and he recognized me. Anyhow, Cam just said to call ahead in a few days to make sure he wouldn't be working there that day and do the reshop. (She offered to extend my due date & bonus for this as well) How could I refuse! I would also like to point out that I had a two week time span to complete the assignment.Wouldn't you know it, my husband was hurt during this time. Fortunately, it also was located not too far from the hospital so I completed my assignment in between visits. I take my commitments very seriously and deeply regretted having to cancel 3 shops. The hardest part of it all was the late hours I had to put in submitting my reports. This past week I have been averaging 3-4 hrs. per night. My husband is home now but requires pretty much constant care. I escaped yesterday for a little while to perform a shop at one of his favorite fast food places and brought him back a nice dinner plate. Enough of my sad story. I just wanted to agree with the other shoppers that we have to try to honor our commitments no matter what everyday problems may arise. These companies are relying on us to meet their obligations to their clients and are trying to make a living just like the rest of us. Thanks Cammie, for being a professional Scheduler who is easy to communicate with. I look forward to working with you in the future.[:p] Sounds like I'm kissing a.. but I'm not. I simply appreciate all those who have helped make my current life crisis a little more bearable. Good Luck Shoppers!

Lindy DuCray ~ MSPA Double Gold Certified ~ Shopping in Northern CA
Go to Top of Page

Heather_K
Valued Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  07:33:41 AM
Just a couple of suggestions - instead of canceling a shop, perhaps you should have offered to reschedule it? I had some morning sickness that left me unable to move for a while and had to reschedule a couple of shops and the schedulers were very understanding. Or maybe offer to have your husband do the shop? Some schedulers are ok with this and some are not.

I think there's a big difference between saying "I'm canceling this shop" and "I can't do this shop tonight, can I offer an alternative..."
Go to Top of Page

DM Griffin
Valued Contributor

Hayward, CA
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  09:04:39 AM
Have you tried to get in touch with this scheduler again after reading all the responses on this thread? Maybe, you can work out the problem, and come to an agreement so that you can still work together. In the past, I have had situations arise that a scheduler sees things differently than I do. I always attempt to work it out if possible, because I know that not everyone sees things the same as the next person. I always try to put myself in the scheduler's position. Maybe, he/she was having a bad day already, or had many other shops to reschedule on a last minute basis. Either way, it doesn't hurt to try to talk it out, that is if you want to, and if the scheduler is willing to try to work it out with you. If you had an excellent rating before this, maybe it is worth a try. Good luck to you.

Diane
Shopping the East Bay in Northern California
MSPA Gold Certification: crcaxm
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethJR

St. Louis
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  09:51:18 AM
Kabryant,

I read your response, posted after I responded to your initial posting and I hope you weren't thinking that I'm unsympathetic. I'm not. I suffer from migraines that don't respond to any of the "new" treatments, so I take Darvocet to control the pain and ride it out -- I'm sure you understand how truly painful that is. I know how frustrating it can be -- and I sympathize.

I just hope you can see the scheduler's point of view. She had done her job in assigning the shop to you -- you could have done it at any time, but you waited until it fit into your schedule and it just so happened that this headache popped up. I think we all have tales of the extraordinary measures we have gone to to make sure that a job is completed.

The best thing to do, perhaps, is to take the experience as a lesson. Your actions have consequences, even when your actions are in response to a circumstance that is somewhat out of your control.

Good luck.

"In the long run, we hit only what we aim at."
Go to Top of Page

KimberlyPA
Valued Contributor

Pittsburgh, PA
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  11:39:07 AM
I agree with the other responses you have received on this post. Many shoppers just grab up all of the shops that they can and then take more than they can handle or put them on the back burner until it is too late.

As a shopper, it is your responsibility to perform the shops that you request ON TIME AND AS INSTRUCTED when YOU ACCEPT the assignment. This is a cardinal rule in mystery shopping.

You are correct in saying that there are other shoppers that will fill your shoes. I especially find it disturbing that you had such a vast timeframe to complete this shop and then could not do it. If you suffer from migranes and cannot ALWAYS be reliable, then perhaps mystery shopping is not a good choice for you.

I can totally understand the scheduler being upset and do not blame them for the rude e-mail.

Silver Certified Shopper ID#4j0h41
Shopping PA cities: Pittsburgh, Homestead, West Mifflin, Johnstown, Greensburg, Indiana, Irwin, Jeannette, Altoona, Blairsville, Latrobe, Washington, Monroeville, and Delmont.

Silver Certified Shopper #4j0h41
Go to Top of Page

MarteeC
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
1352 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  12:36:40 PM
quote:
and do not blame them for the rude e-mail.
I do not find the email rude. At least not the part that was "shared".
I do not understand why you can blast someone (even anonymously), yet NOT provide the actual email response, rather bits and pieces? Am I missing something? Yes, you could cut and paste the email..removing the name of the scheduler and company if you so wanted, but I certainly do not think it was wise to vent here without substantiating the topic ... which was...?
Go to Top of Page

.KaBryant
Inactive

Scottsdale, AZ
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  6:46:38 PM
Basically, I get the idea that everyone thinks the scheduler was not at any fault. Maybe I am thin skinned but I wouldn't toss out excuses on why someone declined a shop on such short notice without going to get the story from the horses mouth.Yes, maybe she was having a bad day but if everyone took their bad day out on every human being they interacted with, I don't think law enforcement could handle all the calls. I will not be dealing with them because of two reasons, this issue, which is my decision (not that I took many shops from them, once in a blue moon) and the fact that I told them, after being asked, did not want to be removed from their list. But, I out of curiosity's sake, tried to login today, voila, no user name, no e-mail address found. Maybe they would rather lose a shopper than a scheduler,but hope she keeps her bad days to herself. And my point was again, she appeared to be judging my cancelling a shop on short notice and my certification as a reason to not do that, but without finding out the reason for cancelling in the first place. It would be like running down a MS Company for not paying you for 60 days without calling them to find out where you check it, only to find out the accountant died and no one else has had time to get to the bookwork.
Go to Top of Page

Shasha
Valued Contributor

MS Gulf Coast
USA
241 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  8:31:53 PM
Kabryant,
I disagree. I feel both parties may be at fault in this situation. Yes, the scheduler may have been “rude” to you but you must also take responsibility for your part in this situation. Perhaps the old saying "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" would help you understand this situation. From what I gathered , you waited until the last minute to complete a shop. This should be a learning experience to you. As far as the comment regarding certification, I completed my silver certification to increase my chances to receive shops. Certification distinguishes us from other shoppers.

I sorry but you must look at the big picture.

mystery shopping along the mississippi gulf coast & mobile, al
mspa silver certified
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  10:53:08 PM
But I thought she did know the reason, and she said "I could understand if you had a family emergency". I think the scheduler was trying to make a point that your certification was part of the reason why you were assigned this shop, you had a very large window for this shop and at sometime in that 3 week period, if you consistantly feel sick you should have brought it to the companies attention. You chose to extend the timeframe twice, and recommit yourself to complete the shop. In the end, you declined. That may not have been the best way for you to have handled the situation, and it is the schedulers responsibility to bring that to your attention, and her statements do not seem rude, it was a matter of fact statement as to why the company expected the shop to be completed (she chose to include all relevant info You were chosen because of silver certification, you scheduled , rescheduled twice, and declined last minute).Where is the rudeness, and ruthless behavior? Why is this viewed as being "spit on"? Do you think that you were at all neglegent, as far as your handling of the situation?
Go to Top of Page

MaryAnne in VA

VA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  05:18:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Kabryant

And my point was again, she appeared to be judging my cancelling a shop on short notice and my certification as a reason to not do that, but without finding out the reason for cancelling in the first place.
Maybe I am misinterpreting this line. Why do you think it is the schedulers responsibilty to figure out why you cancelled the shop? She a scheduler not a detective. And why do you think you deserve special treatment? Did I read that sentence wrong, if so someone please correct me.

Thanks,
MaryAnne.
Go to Top of Page

CabrusoBros
Star Contributor

NC
USA
744 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  05:39:21 AM
I think most posters are siding with the scheduler because the original poster does not give the impression that she feels she caused any harm in this situation. Colleen and I keep bringing this to front because it seems like the crux of the poster's argument. Does she accept her share of the responsibility? I am not seeing that in her continued posts. The scheduler probably ended up reprimanded because she attempted a corrective action through email although ultimately she had to get the shop covered no matter what and she had a "situation" that had to be addressed. Could the scheduler have handled it differently/better? Of course. Could the shopper have handled it differently/better? Of course. Hindsight is 20/20.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums