Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JulesDV
Contributor

TX
USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  05:45:25 AM
I am agreeing with Shasha. It appears as if this poster waited until the last minute. I have to ask, if you know that you frequently (avg. 3 times a week according to the post) have these migraines, why would you wait until the last minute to do this shop as opposed to getting it done quickly on a day that you don't have a migraine in order to avoid this type of problem?
Don't get me wrong, I understand emergencies. Believe me, as a mother of four, I definetely understand them. I have had to cancel one or two shops at the last minute due to babysitters flaking on me and once my transmission actually went out on me on my way from one shop to another. I do think though that not putting the shop off until the last minute could have avoided all of this.
As for the scheduler keeping her bad day to herself, I don't see a post from her on here. Taking you out of the database is probably a good idea to avoid her having to take the additional time to reschedule the next time you get a migraine. As everyone else has said, I don't think that her note, atleast what you have posted here, is rude at all. Silver certification is supposed to distinguish you/us from the other shoppers who do not have a real commitment to MS'ing. And to see that a silver certified shopper had this type of incident occur was probably frustrating for her as that is probably the primary reason you were assigned that shop to begin with!

Sometime the "bandwagon" is actually right.

MSPA Silver Certified 7oyxfy.
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  07:30:50 AM
As far a the comparision to an MS company that does not pay on time, ok lets address that. If a company committed to pay shoppers on two seperate occasions (in a three week window of time) then cancelled payment, and expected those shoppers to contact them to see why the delay way occurring, (making no attempt to explain the extenuating circumstances) yikes!! Then, if the company posted how they did not understand why all those shoppers did not call them to find out why they have not completed payment, called those shoppers rude and ruthless, I am sure the majority of posters would disagree with the way the company handled that situation, as well.
P.S. I do know your pain. At times, I have severe headaches and dizziness. I have a cereberial cyst . I take medication and never let it get me down!!
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  1:57:12 PM
I don't really see a point of me posting in this thread after this. Others have covered all the substantive points and I'm firmly seated on the bandwagon. Just some last thoughts on all this before I go:

1. In my opinion, the original poster keeps making excuses and refuses to accept ultimate responsibility for her action. She keeps using "declined" instead of "cancelled", despite others having pointed out the difference. It does not matter the website uses the word "decline". What the O.P. did was cancelled. Refusal to use that word or even to address the issue tells me a lot more about the situation and the O.P. than anything else said in the posts.

2. Again, just my opinion but the O.P. is not only not taking responsibility for her own actions, she keeps blaming the scheduler. As others have said more eloquently than I: there was no reason/duty this scheduler had to call the O.P. to find out WHY she flaked on the job. The scheduler did her job -- professionally, too. The O.P. did not and is still indulging in playing the I-am-the-center-of-the-universe-and-the-Victim-Woe-is-me-Everybody-is-wrong-and-I-am-right-and-I-must-attack-and-complain-instead-of-taking-responsibility game. This goes beyond being thin-skinned. It's reality check time.

3. I feel very sorry for the scheduler. I don't know whether she is aware of this thread. How would she feel reading this? Would she feel bad because of what the O.P. is saying? Or, would she feel good because the majority of the posts are supportive? Perhaps, she would already know that she was right and feel very little reading all this.

4. I am worried about the devaluation of my own MSPA certification. I hope schedulers don't dismiss the importance of certification because some certified shoppers flaked on them.

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

.Lindy
Inactive

Pioneer, CA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  2:02:07 PM
Here Here Barbara! Or is it Hear Hear? In any case, you covered it all!

Lindy DuCray ~ MSPA Double Gold Certified ~ Shopping in Northern CA
Go to Top of Page

.KaBryant
Inactive

Scottsdale, AZ
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  5:22:00 PM
Well if everyone agrees I am totally wrong, then the office manager is totally wrong too. She agreed and asked me to forward the message to her, saying it was "way out of line and would be taken care of." I will gladly do work for other companies instead of them. I suppose many of you dealt with a company who scheduled the steak shops,department stores and others. I remember so many complaining about him that he was rude, abrupt, ya know what, I found him very amusing, although dry humored so I am not sticking forks in all the schedulers I run across. I just rescheduled a shop to later next month with another company because I had no one to watch my kids and refuse to take them on such a indepth shop, fearing I would miss something. She was very understanding, didn't belittle me as being "silver certified" and not having a good reason or not knowing if I had a good reason. That is the main issue, not know if I had a good reason. Judge not, lest ye be judged.
Go to Top of Page

JillyB71

Broken Arrow, OK
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  5:26:16 PM
If you are unable to log into the system, I'd say the office manager took care of the problem!

MSPA Gold Certified xgowgj
Shopping the Tulsa area
Go to Top of Page

DanInSK
Star Contributor

Canada
484 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  5:39:16 PM
Post not lest ye not hear what thou dost want to hear!!!!!

Silver Certified
SQM LEVEL 9 Step shopper and proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  7:18:52 PM
I agree with JillyB71, if you were removed from the database, the office manager most likely reviewed the case (and the email that you felt was so terrible)and found that you were no longer eligible to receive offers. If that wasnt the case, you would still be able to log on!!!
You seem to be of the opinion that you are the one who is entitled to choose when your shops will be completed, according to your schedule and health issues. If you leave it to the last minute and have to cancel, how dare the scheduler address the issue. I have to say that this is not the way this business works, and the sooner you realize this, the better off you will be.
Go to Top of Page

MStokes117

Jefferson City, MO
USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  08:07:15 AM
Just another opinion here. My uncle passed away a few weeks ago early on a Friday morning. I had shops scheduled for both Friday and Saturday. There were no services until Sunday, but I really felt lousy for doing these shops under the circumstances. But I also did not want to cancel on these either and get a bad rap with the company (actually about 5 different companies). I also feel like the schedulers hear so many reasons for cancellation so often and since they have heard it all, they tend to not believe you. I have been a retail manager, so believe me I have heard everything under the sun when it comes to excuses. But as a newbie, do you think most schedulers would give me another chance if I would have cancelled those shops? Just a question!

Mandy
Go to Top of Page

MarteeC
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
1352 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  08:43:08 AM
Mandy-I would not have canceled, rather contact them and let them know the circumstances and ask if they would allow you to reschedule after the funeral. This gives them the option of reassigning (which schedulers do not want to do if feasible not to) or extending the due date if able. Your willingness to go ahead and complete the shops under those circumstances is admirable and would be appreciated. They would have worked hard WITH you to come to a decision.
Schedulers are not mean nasty ogres (well, most of them are not). They ARE human with issues too. They just have a rather difficult job to do entrusting THEIR paycheck to people they have virtually NO relationship with. The flake factor for newbies is extremely high, however once you have established a relationship with a company, they know what you do and how reliable you are. They WANT to work with you, they WANT you to succeed. For each successful shopper they have, less work is expended on their part. It is a win-win situation
The problem most have with this particular thread is that the shopper has chosen to publicly pass the buck. She had an extended time period to complete her shops, and LIFE stepped in. She extended her time, which with a newbie, probably would not have been approved. Only when the due date was upon her, did she release the shop. At this point the scheduler is on major time crunch and well, guess what-she is not thrilled. She is understandably mad and stuck with a shop she could have, should have had completed easily weeks ago. She was then publicly blasted (fortunately identifying info was not included, but my guess is the scheduler knew EXACTLY who was being referred to, which may have added to the posters new inability to access the site.)
Many valuable lessons to be learned from this thread.
Go to Top of Page

PamProjectMgr

Hooksett, New Hampshire
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  09:13:32 AM  Visit PamProjectMgr's Homepage  Send PamProjectMgr an AOL message
Hi Everyone,

Now it’s time for the ‘ruthless’ scheduler, who ‘spit all over’ the shopper, to speak. I have chosen to include the original email (pasted below), in it’s entirety, minus names, of course. There was nothing rude or unprofessional about the email, I was simply stating the facts, and I was not having a bad day, nor do I need an attitude adjustment. As stated on so many of the posts, I could have just deleted that shopper, with no notice at all.

“Good morning Shopper,

While I was checking the status of the XXXXXXX assignments this morning, I saw that the XXXXXX shop had been declined, even though it has been showing as accepted for three weeks. I checked the history of this particular shop and it shows that you accepted on 6/27/2003, with a date for completion of 7/11/2003. On 7/10/2003, you rescheduled for a completion date of 7/17/2003, then on 7/17/2003 you declined the visit. In essence, you have had control of this assignment for three weeks, and then two days before the end of the shopping period, you declined the assignment. Perhaps you had a family emergency, and that is understandable, but if there is no good reason, then is it not acceptable, especially since you hold an MSPA Silver Certification for mystery shopping.

I must emphasize the importance of following through with a commitment, and completing assignments as soon as possible, instead of waiting till the end, then not being able to do them.” (end of email)

I realize the MSPA silver and gold certification is still fairly new, but if you hold either one, then you have read, and signed, the code of ethics, a portion of which is this:

In addition, we agree to the following Rules of Ethical Conduct
• I agree to perform all shops to the best of my ability;
• I agree to perform all shops with honesty and integrity;
• I agree to submit all reports on or before the deadline;
• I agree to honor all confidentiality agreements;
• I agree to give immediate notice to the shopping company if I cannot perform a shop for any reason;

To take a line from your original post, Kabryant, you wrote, and I quote “…we make their success possible by doing their shops.” That’s exactly right, but you did not do your shop, even though you had a three week window of opportunity.

I sincerely hope this puts an end to this unpleasantness.

Thanks for your time and all your supportive comments and especially to the shoppers who help me meet my goals each month and are willing to help out in a pinch.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  09:53:25 AM
I am glad that you chose to post the "infamous" email. I think that it is professional, and not a bit rude or ruthless. Maybe a lesson will be learned.
Go to Top of Page

KSSLorri
Star Contributor

Cincinnati, Ohio
USA
603 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  09:53:44 AM  Visit KSSLorri's Homepage
All I can say is "Wow, I guess that clears that up".

I hope this is a lesson to all shoppers out there. There are many times when schedulers and MS Companies get the "short end of the stick" because some shoppers come on this board and others and bash a scheduler unmercifully. Some of the lists are private and MS companies, schedulers, and even board owners (like Ray) are not allowed to post to defend themselves.

Please always take what you read with a grain of salt and know that there are two sides to every story. It is quite obvious that there was nothing rude or unprofessional in this email that Pam sent to the shopper. In fact, she was far more pleasant that I probably would have been. Shame on the shopper who lied to all of us and tried to ruin a scheduler's reputation for no reason.

Lorri (Kern) Hsu
KSS International, Inc.
KSSLorri@kernscheduling.com
Go to Top of Page

.Lindy
Inactive

Pioneer, CA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  09:53:57 AM
Pam, thanks so much for posting the original e-mail in it's entirety. I think we were all suspicious of the fact that Kabryant only posted bits & pieces of it when it served her purpose. I'm sorry that you felt you had to post a reply but I'm glad you did. It surely clears up any misconceptions that may have been formed from reading this saga. The vast majority of responses supported your side. I wish my assignments allowed the time span opportunity that yours did. There is absolutely no possible way that your e-mail could be construed as "rude" or implied that you were "spitting all over" her. When a shopper performs in this fashion, especially a certified one, it sheds a bad light on the rest of us who take our commitments seriously and view Mystery Shopping as a profession and not just a hobby when it suits us.

Lindy DuCray ~ MSPA Double Gold Certified ~ Shopping in Northern CA
Go to Top of Page

ShAndrews
Inactive

Inland Empire, California
USA
480 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  09:55:47 AM  Send ShAndrews an AOL message
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I know many of us have been wondering exactly what was in that email you sent. I personally found it was neither rude nor were you spitting on anyone. Yes, it certainly was a stern email, but a necessary one. Being certified is not just about getting a number to add to your name; it is about achieving a higher level of competence in your chosen field.

Shannon R. Andrews
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Inland Empire, Southern California
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:17:04 AM
I fail to see how that email constitutes "being spit upon" or "ruthless." Thank you for clearing that up, Pam. I think most of us were expecting something quite different judging by the OP's comments.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

DM Griffin
Valued Contributor

Hayward, CA
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:26:22 AM
Pam, thank you for posting the Email in its entirety. I am with the majority on this. You definitely proceeded in a professional manner. You were not having a bad day, as I had mentioned was possible in one of my earlier posts in this thread. I think you gave the shopper every opportunity to continue on with your company, and she could have explained herself, apologized and then moved on. She could have proven to you, in the future, that she would not let this happen again. It was really nice to be able to get both sides of the story. I feel bad for the way you were bashed, when you handled everything quite professionally.

Diane
Shopping the East Bay in Northern California
MSPA Gold Certification: crcaxm
Go to Top of Page

PamProjectMgr

Hooksett, New Hampshire
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:47:02 AM  Visit PamProjectMgr's Homepage  Send PamProjectMgr an AOL message
Hi ShannonPA,

The email is posted in it's entirety.

Pam
Go to Top of Page

DonnaInGA

Powder Springs, GA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:50:12 AM

That was a very professional email. Pam even sent clear evidence of why she was counseling the OP. I look at it like this. If I had a job where I was not a contractor what would my employer do. Wouldn't this be the same conversation or counseling that the employer would do. Pam clearly set out the problem, backed it up with fact and then explained what you need to do in the future. Many shoppers forget this is real work and not play time. We have to be willing to take the counseling along with the good. I receive thank you emails or calls from companies all the time. But I also receive feedback on how to do something differently or better. It is part of expanding and developing our experience. Kabryant, I hope you have learned something from this and will think about how you take constructive criticism in the future.

Mystery shoppping Georgia and Alabama
Go to Top of Page

DM Griffin
Valued Contributor

Hayward, CA
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:53:55 AM
DonnaInGA;

I totally agree with you. We have to take the good with the bad. Whenever I get feedback from a scheduler, whether it be positive or negative, I always use it to help myself do a better job the next time around. In fact, receiving feedback is very valuable...and I take it to heart!

Diane
Shopping the East Bay in Northern California
MSPA Gold Certification: crcaxm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums