Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JoAnn
Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:54:03 AM
Pam, I read the entire thread. I never questioned you and your professionalism based on what was posted. I personally didn't even think you needed to defend yourself in any way.

Give me a call/email if you need work completed in Western Washington. You can count on me to complete shops in almost any circumstances...including with a migraine.

P.S. I used to have to schedule out work (appraisals) so I understand that side of the business.

JoAnn Kuhn
Shopping Seattle to Olympia; Located in Tacoma, WA
Silver Certified xadodk
Go to Top of Page

Shasha
Valued Contributor

MS Gulf Coast
USA
241 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  12:05:00 PM
Pam,
I am so happy you replied to this post. First, I must apologize to you. In earlier post, I tried to give the shopper the benefit of the doubt. I stated that both parties were at fault. This was in error. You have cleared this matter up quite nicely. Your email was very professional. Not only did you where you very pleasant but you also had facts to support your statement. Kudos to you.

I still go back to my statement: "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" . Pam, I would say you have cleared this matter up quite nicely for all of us.

Thanks

mystery shopping along the mississippi gulf coast & mobile, al
mspa silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  12:22:46 PM
Thank you, Pam.

It's good finally to have proof of what many have long suspected (i.e. the O.P., not you, was the unprofessional one) and both sides of the story. As you can see (and probably already know), there are many reasonable and responsible shoppers out there -- some certified and some not (but both acting professionally).

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

.ShannonPA
Inactive

PA
USA
415 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  12:31:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PamProjectMgr

Hi ShannonPA,

The email is posted in it's entirety.

Pam

Sorry for missing that Pam. Kabryant's postings made me want to write straight away, and I skipped all the other posts below hers. You were totally professional. Thanks for giving me a clue!

MSPA Gold Certified uwjrsy
Go to Top of Page

CabrusoBros
Star Contributor

NC
USA
744 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  1:48:13 PM
Pam...thank you, thank you, thank you! I replied to the original post 2-3 times because I felt rather strongly about her comments. From one scheduler to another, I know that there are two sides to every story and you absolutely, positively came through for your side. I commend you for copying the email you sent and posting it here. It certainly indicates you handled the matter as professionally as you would be expected to. (Be sure to show your operations manager this thread. Over 3300 people have tuned in to read the continuing saga of the "spitting scheduler.")
Go to Top of Page

SusieH
Contributor

Acworth, GA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  1:52:41 PM
This is the kind of email I would expect if I were to cancel a job. To have that much of a timeframe to work with is a luxury! I would not abuse it.

Thank you to Pam for posting the email! I just decided to put in an application to your company.

MSPA Silver Certified, and happy to shop in GA!
Go to Top of Page

ShAndrews
Inactive

Inland Empire, California
USA
480 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  2:51:04 PM  Send ShAndrews an AOL message
I'm signing up with your company, too!

Shannon R. Andrews
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Inland Empire, Southern California
Go to Top of Page

KatherineM
Contributor

TX
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  4:04:02 PM
One more comment:

Now, if (and that's a BIG IF), I'd ever gotten to this point in the situation (getting an email for a shop I'd cancelled AFTER rescheduling)...then this would be the part (RIGHT AFTER RECEIVING THAT EMAIL)where I'd pick up that phone and call Pam. You bet I'd be "mea culpa" ing all the way, in hopes of salvaging something positive. I think she actually left the OP an "opening" to do just that with,

"Perhaps you had a family emergency, and that is understandable, but if there is no good reason, then is it not acceptable."

As I see it, it was a big mistake to hold onto that shop for that length of time through rescheduling, and then cancelling (which is what it was, no 'decline' here). But, I think the shopper still had an opportunity to ameliorate things by making a phone call to the scheduler after getting that email. Explain how you came to get in this "fix"...make the effort to get back into the company's good graces. If that wasn't possible, then accept it and move on. I always sorta cringe when I read a very personal vent here from a shopper regarding a scheduler....in a lot of cases, the "venter" has not thought it through and doesn't realize how negatively that vent can come back at 'em. And, on an end note....in reading Pam's email, I failed to see anything ruthless, rude, nor unprofessional. In fact, I feel she was doing exactly what her job as a scheduler entails.
Go to Top of Page

DanInSK
Star Contributor

Canada
484 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  8:09:41 PM
Pam, thank you for posting your message. I wished more companys or their reps would come in and read some of the bashes and perhaps give their perspective. Some times its the shoppers and sometimes its the Companies but it is important to get both sides of the argument to make up your own mind. In this case your letter was very professional under the circumstances, 3 weeks notice is plenty of time to get a job done or give it up early enough to be rescheduled.
Thanks again for giving your professional side to the discussion.

Dan
SQM STEP level 9 shopper and proud as a peacock.
Silver certified as well, and going for the gold

Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  10:41:41 PM
As one who suffers from Migraines that no medication will take even the edge off, nor laying in a dark room will help I have learned to deal with it. If I am scheduling shops and I don't feel well, that's my problem, not the schedulers. I made a promise to do a shop, sick or not, I'm going to make sure I honor that commitment. Some problems may occur when we have to plan out shops with some companies 30 days in advance. Like for instance, I have surgery coming up on the 31st of this month. I contacted the MS shop that I have two shops scheduled for and asked if I could please change the date as I did not know when I signed up for the shops that I was going to need surgery. I am still waiting to hear from them, and I do hope they understand that this is not something that I plan on doing a lot (canceling shops) in fact I'm not really canceling it, I'm asking to reschedule it as I still plan to do it for them.

If you make a commitment, stick with it. It might have been easier to just ask for another extension by telling them you had a migraine. Just my two cents worth.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

Phyllis_fromTexas
Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
53 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  05:22:39 AM
If I were a scheduler, and a shopper had to reschedule a shop, I might be a bit frustrated, knowing that I planned to have the shop completed well before the deadline. If a shopper then cancelled without contacting me, I would definitely be frustrated. My opinion of this scenario is that the shopper does not fully understand the point of view of the scheduler. This is an excellent lesson on the importance of not waiting till the last minute!

MSPA Gold Certified cfstuc
Go to Top of Page

JJinNWIN
Contributor

Wheatfield, IN
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  07:40:37 AM
In May, I accepted a special job that had to be completed within a three day window, because of a major sale. I accepted four stores, about a month before those dates. I went and did my first two stores and that night, my father died unexpectedly. I didn't work the next day, but the third and final day, I ran to town and completed the last two stores, before going to the funeral home for my father's viewing. This was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life, but I felt I had made a commitment. I knew the scheduler would not be able to find someone to complete the jobs on the last due date. And I also knew, my father raised me to be responsible and honor my commitments, and he would have expected me to do just that. It was a hard thing to do, but it had to be done, and I don't regret my decision to honor my commitment. Part of the reason we all love this job is because we have a degree of flexibility. But sometimes, we don't have the flexibility to just do it whenever, eg. approaching deadline. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do, whether we want to or not. I thought the original poster was wrong when I first read her post, and after reading the email from Pam, I still believe she was wrong. If we commit to do a job and something comes up, no matter how serious we have to consider the deadline when we are deciding whether or not to cancel. The companies we take jobs for have deadlines from their clients, and if we want these jobs to be available, we have to work with the companies who are giving us the jobs. Of course, there will be legitimate reasons that we can't. But we have to be very careful that we don't cancel unless we have no choice.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  1:14:59 PM
To JJinNWIN
What a fine person your dad raised you to be, even at his death, you made a commitment and stuck by it. Losing someone in your family can be so devastating (I know, I lost my younger sister two years ago) , and you still saw beyond that to finish something you started.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums