Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Jewelry Shops - Is Shopping for An Engagement Ring By Yourself & Being A Woman Believable?
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CathyInMD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
441 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  05:53:05 AM  Visit CathyInMD's Homepage
I wanted to find out if any lady shoppers out there have done jewelry shops and shopped for an engagement ring. I wasn't sure how believable it would be shopping (without your partner). Let me know what you think and thanks again.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping In Maryland
xiffkw

Backus

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:04:33 AM  Send Backus an AOL message
Does it have to be an engagement ring or just a diamond ring? If the latter, you could say you are looking for a diamond anniversary ring. If it has to be an engagement ring, you could say that you wanted to get some ideas so you could drop "hints" to your boyfriend. I would think that would be believable.

Amy
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

AndreaME
Contributor

Eastern, NC
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:07:07 AM
Absolutely! I have done this one and it is not nearly as hard as it seems. When I began looking at the rings, I told the associate that I had finally been given the "approval" from my husband to get the ring of my dreams. I explained that when we were married a few years ago, we didn't have the money for an engagemant ring (which was actually true back then.) After the salesman helped me pick out the ring and we agreed on a price, I told him that I would be back as soon as we received our income tax refund, to purchase it for cash.
It was that simple. Don't stress over it, they will have no idea that you are the shopper. Good luck!

Andrea M-E
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising and Shopping Eastern, NC: Kinston, Greenville, Goldsboro, New Bern and the little cities in-between.
Go to Top of Page

MarteeC
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
1352 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:15:25 AM
My husband loves to tell the story of how my girlfriend and I picked out my engagement ring. I had the salesman write up the information on the back of his business card and sent my hubby back for it. That was 20+ years ago. After 4 years of dating, SOMEBODY had to...
So, yes it is done and has been for years. You usually know when you are planning on getting married, and it is not uncommon to start shopping for a ring.
Now I would probably say I am helping my son who is getting engaged. 15 is not too young is it? Course it would help if he had a girlfriend...
Go to Top of Page

CathyInMD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
441 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:17:27 AM  Visit CathyInMD's Homepage
Well it looks like from the instructions it is a diamond engagement ring but in the initial email it said diamond engagement/anniversary ring so I am trying to get clarification on that. Since Andrea has done this shop before, I would guess I could do either one (although I'm single..), but hey, that's okay. Thanks much for the advice.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping In Maryland
xiffkw
Go to Top of Page

AndreaME
Contributor

Eastern, NC
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:22:24 AM
I am sure that it was the same shop. I was allowed to do either the engagement ring or anniversary ring scenario.
You will probably enjoy looking and trying these on. I certainly did.

Andrea M-E
MSPA Silver Certified
Merchandising and Shopping Eastern, NC: Kinston, Greenville, Goldsboro, New Bern and the little cities in-between.
Go to Top of Page

MaryAnne in VA

VA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:31:47 AM
DOH! Good thing I read this post, I'm doing the exact same shop. I accepted it since I actually am in the market for an anniversary band (never got the pretty engagement ring), I just read the instructions and it does say engagement. Hopefully it is an oversight, but just in case...time to email.

MaryAnne
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:33:22 AM
Yes, it is normal, and would not raise an eyebrow. My husband thought because it was my second marraige, I would not want to shop for an engagement ring. DH shopped (himself) and surprised me with a beautiful platnium anniversary band. He said he was the only man in the jewlery store , all of the rest of the customers were women. Many of them were looking at engagement rings, and a few said that they did not find the right man yet, but they want to know what style of ring they would like when the time comes.
Go to Top of Page

MarteeC
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
1352 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:47:58 AM
Colleen-I am certain they were all MSers doing this scenario...
Go to Top of Page

MikeSLU
Star Contributor

SE
USA
318 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:50:17 AM
As in any shop, if you are uncomfortable about the shop and don't think you can be believable........ don't sign up for it.
Go to Top of Page

Jean_GA
Valued Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  06:59:31 AM
I did this shop. I thought that I would originally go in and tell them I was interested in upgrading my diamond. However, when I saw the shop specs I realized that my current diamond is slightly larger than the size they wanted me to shop. So I took my ring off and went in shopping for a replacement to one that I had "lost". The sales people didn't bat an eye. In fact, one salesman told me a story of how his wife had lost her ring. It brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me how much I love my ring and what it signifies to me. So don't worry about being there on your own.

MSPA Gold Plus Shopper shopping Northwest Metro Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

CathyInMD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
441 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  07:00:53 AM  Visit CathyInMD's Homepage
I think I should be okay with it now that I have some tips from everyone.

One of the survey questions mentioned asks if the associate asked you to make a purchase/place an order/close the sale. I would think the answer to that question be "No" because you actually can't purchase if you want to "drop hints to your fiance", or if you are "just in the market" until the right man comes along? Just curious as to how you would answer. Thanks.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping In Maryland
xiffkw
Go to Top of Page

JoAnn
Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  07:14:37 AM
Cathy,

Your husband is letting you purchase the ring you always wanted.
You are replacing the ring you lost.

Both of those allow for you to be purchasing that day.

JoAnn Kuhn
Shopping Seattle to Olympia; Located in Tacoma, WA
Silver Certified xadodk
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  07:53:30 AM
Dont stress this one. I had a scenario where I went into a very high end jewlery store in NYC and posed as a customer looking to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend, yes GIRLFRIEND. The company was curious to see how I would be treated, and if the salesperson followed the selling guidelines and procedure. I did it with a very "straight" face, and the saleswoman was not shocked at all.
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl

Maryland
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  07:54:04 AM
I also completed this shop and used a scenario that my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting engaged and he asked me to "shop around" for the style of ring I wanted. It worked very well and the salesman "closed" the sale by asking me to bring my boyfriend back to shop with me when I finally decided what I wanted.

I must say it was fun trying on all of the diamond rings!

MSPA Certification # l8xh2q
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  08:12:52 AM
I too did this shop last year. Surprisingly I had just gotten engaged and my husband bought me a small but cute diamond solitaire. I kept my ring on but told the salesperson that I had just gotten engaged and my husband bought the ring in New York (where he lived at the time). I told them that he gave me the go ahead to pick out what I wanted since we couldn't shop for it since I lived in California and he was in New York. Believe me, they won't think twice about it!

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

MaureenLu
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
283 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  09:16:59 AM
Yep - it's totally believable. I just did this shop too and gave the same story that many have used - didn't have a fab engagement ring the first time, now I get to upgrade! She didn't even blink an eye. It was fun trying on those rings though...

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
Go to Top of Page

ShaneinMich
Star Contributor

near Grand Rapids, MI
USA
495 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  10:10:21 AM
along the same lines. . .my sister went with me to the 'be the bride' shop -- fell in LOVE with the DRESS. She got engaged the next week and want back and bought the dress. Go figure. I guess sometimes we do put the cart before the horse

MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Western Michigan
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  1:30:10 PM
I cracked up reading the title for this thread!

Based on responses so far, I think this is quite common.

I did this for real (NOT Mystery Shopping) for my engagement ring. My fiance was burned out from shopping, and I can shop 'til I drop, plus I'm picky about my ring, so I just waited until he couldn't take it anymore, and asked if it was OK with him for me to just pick my own, as long as it was within budget. He said fine, and I think he was actually quite relieved.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

PamelaS
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  1:51:02 PM  Send PamelaS an AOL message
I did two of these. The first was during the week, when single women looking at engagement rings are quite common. The second was on a Saturday, and I was challenged immediately on the absence of my "fiancé". Due to superb character development (name, birthdate, age, job, approximate wedding date, excuse for being at that location, spending limit, escape ploy) I was able to smoothly explain his absence.

Shopping Los Angeles and Orange Counties. MSPA Gold Certification: 3qangd
Go to Top of Page

PamelaS
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  1:56:44 PM  Send PamelaS an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by ColleenNYC

Dont stress this one. I had a scenario where I went into a very high end jewlery store in NYC and posed as a customer looking to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend, yes GIRLFRIEND. The company was curious to see how I would be treated, and if the salesperson followed the selling guidelines and procedure. I did it with a very "straight" face, and the saleswoman was not shocked at all.

I already get loads of spam offering to enlarge an anatomical part I don't have. I can't imagine how my email would run if I did one of those! [:p]

Shopping Los Angeles and Orange Counties. MSPA Gold Certification: 3qangd
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums