Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  04:13:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What are the shops you know to avoid?

Blanche

Carolina Shores, NC
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  04:22:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would really love to do an apartment shop worth over a million.
My husband is working on a condo site in manhattan and he said I
would not believe how beautiful they are going to be. It also has
a glass outside elevator. I am not sure how many floors, but I know
it is pretty tall. I would love a ride in that elevator. Of course,
I would not do this for a fee of under $45.00. Anything less than
that is not worth it with all the writing you have to do. The last
one I did was 15 pages long.

Blanche-Ct.
Go to Top of Page

Jules in Boston
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  04:36:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lets just say that I am not going to haul around a vanity, kitchen sink or anything else weighing more than 30 lbs and return it as soon as I purchase. No thanks!

GOLD CERTIFIED
Shopping Boston, MA and metro area.
Go to Top of Page

.Dawn DE
Inactive

DE
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  06:51:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
FF shops where the report is 22 pages long ,pays 7 dollars, and requires dine-in and drive through. My printer thanks me, my waistline thanks me.............but I suppose I should never say never, there is always a month when I seem to miss EVERY decent dispatch and start hitting "I'll do anything mode". Desperation is an ugly thing .

Dawn

Dawn
Go to Top of Page

MandyMershon
Valued Contributor

Kyle, TX
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  07:33:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll never do a store I have seen listed that the only pay is a PARTIAL reimbursement. Although I would like to do them, I won't do anymore bra store shops, at least in my area. I did a few in a row at the same locations and I am afraid of being spotted. Can't easily do bank and apartment shops since I would have a hard time taking my baby with me. And finally, I will NEVER EVER take a fitness club shop after reading that thread about coming up with excuses!

Mandy Mershon
Shopping Central Texas including Austin, San Marcos, and Bastrop
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper # nkbd8u
Go to Top of Page

NatrinaNC
Valued Contributor

High Point, NC
USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  07:34:15 AM  Visit NatrinaNC's Homepage  Send NatrinaNC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Departments stores that pay $2 per person shopped and you have to shop at least 10 people.

Grocery stores for $10, not worth it to me.

Anything less than $10 with more than a 250 character narrative.

Dining where I'm told the average cost is at least $80, and only reimbursed $50.

MSPA Gold Certification #icw3ir
MSSIC: NatrinaNC
Shopping the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte Areas: High Point, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, Durham, Cary, Raleigh, Concord, Charlotte, Matthews, Kannapolis, Salsibury
Go to Top of Page

MissyHall

Parkersburg, WV
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  07:58:15 AM  Send MissyHall an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mandy, Can you explain more about asking more questions on the hotel shops? I've never done one (want to) and would love to know more.

I won't do FF (too hard on the waistline)
Apartment shops (The area I live in is too small to pull this off)
Bank shops (haven't got the nerve yet to pull off saying I have a gazillion dollar balance) Maybe when I get more experience.
Grocery stores that evaluate 10+ people for a few dollars

Go to Top of Page

MandyMershon
Valued Contributor

Kyle, TX
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  08:30:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Missy read the thread about the most bizarre shops you have done. I posted my hotel shop on there. I would do another one but only for a better hotel chain. The one I had was so bad that I asked for my money back and left.

Mandy Mershon
Shopping Central Texas including Austin, San Marcos, and Bastrop
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper # nkbd8u
Go to Top of Page

MikeShop
Contributor

NJ
USA
54 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  10:15:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dont worry Mandy, you are not the only one who would be afraid of
being spotted while doing a "bra shop"
Mike
Go to Top of Page

.LaurenMilligan
Inactive

Warrenville, IL
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  11:15:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will NEVER do another mall shop that requires you to go to 8 or 9 deparments-between the shop and the report, you've wasted an entire day! I also don't do FF, or any shops where the 'payment' is only the purchase reimbursement. If I wasn't going to shop at that particular store anyway, it's just a waste of money. It's a really cheap way for a store to get more customers. Unfortunately, I can't do shops that require a digital camera, cuz I don't have one.

Lauren Milligan
Go to Top of Page

Melissa_MI

Westland, MI
USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  12:43:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No more pet stores.
No more Fast Food with dine in, and drive thru.
No Bank shops I am too young to have several thousand dollars.
No Apartments take too long, can't fit into my schedule.
No Fitness shops. Super huge narrative for not enough money.

No Pizza slicing shops. I have never done one just read the threads.

I think I might want to do a bra shop.
Go to Top of Page

Janet_CA

Bay Area, California
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  2:00:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I thought you were joking about the Acupuncture shop, but I see one listed. I wonder how long that one stays open?

MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

ElaineHN
Star Contributor

Georgia
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  2:04:05 PM  Visit ElaineHN's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is the acupunture shop actually a shop where you get the service done ... or is it one where you are asked to reveal yourself to the provider and they answer questions and allow you to make photos of their facilities as a part of their accreditation process? I did one of those for a chiropractic office ... no services were actually performed on me. I just photo'ed their office, file system, exam room, etc.

Right now I might actually accept a shop to a chiropractor that actually involved service ... assuming they were fully licensed and accredited ... my back is killing me!!!!

~*~ Shopping West Georgia (Carrollton, Douglasville, Newnan, etc.) & Metro Atlanta ~*~
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  2:26:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My list of what I won't do for money is very short! I've tried quite a few shops which looked profitable and ended up losing me money either by wasting time, taking me far out of my way, or not fitting into schedule. But - provided the directions are clear - I still like to try each one once.

Things I practically NEVER do: Cheap/average pay assignments which take 90 days to collect. Something could happen to me before then and if the company is so broke or disorganized it takes 90 days to scrape up some small change, then my estate would never get it's $9! Reimbursement-only shops for things I am not sure I'll need. My closet has enough "presents" stocked now...and I drove my car every mile it took to get those jewels. The last "please-no" is purchase-and-return without adequate reimbursement. That is two shops, not one.

But as soon as you say NEVER, you find yourself with a couple hours free during lunch hour, nothing else in sight, and french fries or free gas beckoning. However, a lot depends on how a company treats it's shoppers. There are some for whom the cheap shops are a pleasure to perform because they are so nice and accomodating or they have other better shops available.

MSPA Gold Shopper
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  2:32:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ugh! Most people are mentioning that grocery store shop that is $10 now with all the departments you must shop! No way! I like the company but the new requirements just aren't worth it! I don't shop pet stores since I don't have any pets except Chucky O ( a goldfish, RIP July 2002).
Go to Top of Page

Rhonda in Michigan

Shelby Township, MI
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  3:07:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Geez, the most important one seems to be missing!!

It's the one that requires you to buy something from a famous home imrovement store that you end up lugging around, purchasing the item, then bringing the !$#^ item back for a refund!

Million dollar apartment shop? Have yet to see one of those, but I think I can do it. I did an $800,000 new home shop and didn't seem to have any problems, other than the salesman...

MSPA Silver Certification
qo8qc8
Go to Top of Page

Deborah

Meadow Lake, SK
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  3:19:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think the list of things I would Not do as a secrets shopper is very short;

I DO NOT do any shops that cost more than I would make.
And I don't really care for buy and returns unless it is something I really would return ( hi, this shirt didn't fit my husband and he really didn't like the color)
I also DO NOT do shop were the requirements for fulling the shop are dead give aways to the employees.
I notice alot of people don't like the bank shops but I love them ( at least for the company i work for) and at 24 I really don't think I am to young to have several thousand dollars. Hey, they don't know me my parents could have been loaded, or I could have married rich

Shopping Northern and Central SK,
MSPA Silver Cert. na03oq
Go to Top of Page

MonieTX

Waco, TX
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  3:32:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I was just starting out I fell for 2 of the no fee/ reimbursement only shops. I got paid $4.95 for a pet store shop and $2.79 for an electronics shop. Never again!! I also won't do anymore return shops. They make me feel uncomfortable and I feel that it's a dead giveaway that you're a shopper.

Shopping in El Paso, TX and Alamogordo, Las Cruces and Ruidoso, NM.
Silver Certified #orlahb.
Go to Top of Page

NatrinaNC
Valued Contributor

High Point, NC
USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  4:03:45 PM  Visit NatrinaNC's Homepage  Send NatrinaNC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did my first bank shop today, it was really easy, I'm thinking about doing one of those investments shops when they come around. With me being 25, I could easily explain having more than 50K, to play around with...umm inheritance from my great Aunt Sally, bless her heart.

MSPA Gold Certification #icw3ir
MSSIC: NatrinaNC
Shopping the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte Areas: High Point, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, Durham, Cary, Raleigh, Concord, Charlotte, Matthews, Kannapolis, Salsibury
Go to Top of Page

Roger42
Star Contributor

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  4:39:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Health clubs - too much pressure and too long of a visit.

Roger
Gold Certified - 15 Years Experience
Specializing In Audits
Covering Mid Atlantic and Northeast
Go to Top of Page

Cyn

Port Orchard, WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  10:01:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So what are the odds that the famous home improvement shop is going to be a ten foot pole next month?

Cynthia
Silver Certified
Shopping WA cities of Port Orchard, Poulsbo, Bremerton, Silverdale and Gig Harbor
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums