Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

RandyW1
Contributor

Orange Park, FL
USA
52 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  8:28:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FancyFran

I know one ten foot pole shop - the one where you buy a two dollar bag of rice...
I did 3 of these shops today. The rice I paid $1.29 for and $1.49 for each box. The pay was more than $10. Still not sure it was worth it.

Shopping Northeast Florida
Go to Top of Page

Carol Ann Kaplan

Columbus, GA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  8:28:49 PM  Visit Carol Ann Kaplan's Homepage  Send Carol Ann Kaplan an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FancyFran

I know one ten foot pole shop - the one where you buy a two dollar bag of rice, and then a box for $4.29 (no reimbursement for box or contents)and ship it somewhere. The pay is $10.00!
I saw this one today. I had read that the $12 includes the box AND rice. No way!

~Carol Ann
Silver Certified jsvqvg
Go to Top of Page

Dot-eee

Benton, AR
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  11:07:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I must be lucky. I paid 69 cents for the rice and 88 cents for the box. I did 2 of these and the drive was less than a mile from my house and the other one was less than a mile from my job. The reports were super-easy, too. Well worth it for me.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping Central Arkansas - Little Rock, Benton, Bryant, Malvern, North Little Rock and beyond
Go to Top of Page

JodiSpoon

SC
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:06:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My rice and box cost 2.25, and these shops pay more than $10 in my area. It -sounds- like the same job, but I've found mine cheap and easy to do.

Silver Certified in
South Carolina
...and now serving Asheville & Hendersonville, NC too!
Go to Top of Page

MelanieL
Trainee

Mustang, CA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:17:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My ten-foot pole shop is anything located inside an amusement park on a summer weekend. For the traffic, parking, stress and time, it's not worth it.

Also, I stay away from scenarios such as, "pretend you own a small business and need a loan /line of credit /account /store membership." I don't have any experience to draw on, to think on my feet or anticipate questions and answers for those.

Gold Certified
Oklahoma City metro area
Go to Top of Page

FancyFran
Valued Contributor

South San Francisco, CA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  06:42:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
RE: box and rice assignment - the size requirements for the box are very strict and I was too chicken to chance it. I bought the box at the location. Big mistake. I'll have to look for those cheap bags of rice, to eat, not to ship - lol.
Go to Top of Page

ShawnaL
Star Contributor

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  10:27:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I stock up on the boxes whenever Office Depot has them on sale BOGO free, then I only pay about 75 cents per box and get the rice for $1.

The shops that I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole are:

Fitness Centers - Did one and they called me for MONTHS!
Most Banks - Seems too easy to be spotted, I do a few select ones.
Purchase/Return - I used to love them, but I got tired of making excuses.
McDonalds - Not enough pay to get fat and get all of those timings.
Apartments - I'll do about one or two per year, really have to be in a strange mood to do them.

But, give me a shipping shop any day! I love to package and ship boxes!!! The shops take no time and the pay is not bad at all.

Shawna
Go to Top of Page

Laurie
Valued Contributor

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
USA
108 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  12:34:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The audit of a type of rental shop. Very detailed and time consuming, luckily it was close to my home because I have to go back there. Aargh, this shop has become my current nightmare!

I'll take a $10 or $20 phone or email shop anytime!

MSPA Gold Certified yxelnt
Shopping Florida's Treasure Coast and Palm Beaches
Go to Top of Page

Deena
Trainee

CA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  1:19:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't touch any shop that has a $5 fee for an on-site visit even if it is literally next door. I tried ONE at a mall where I already had shops just to prove to myself they aren't worth the effort.

Objective achieved! I'll wait for a higher paying job. :)
Go to Top of Page

MandyMichel

St. Louis, MO
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  10:01:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ten foot pole shops:

Ones that require more than one person and are NOT restaurant shops and pay what would be reasonable compensation for only one person. For example, there was one I saw that involved having a couple talk to someone about building a custom home but did not pay very well. I feel that my husband's time is worth something, too--he's not just an object for me to drag places.

Tire shops involving knowing specifications about tires, pretending to have a car that needs tires, and writing a huge long story about it.

I saw one that required walking away without grabbing the change so the place could have a reason to fire and possibly prosecute the person working the register. The instructions said that the shopper might have to testify in court. For $15??? How could I possibly sleep at night?

Fast food reveal shops that require the shopper to possibly say, "You failed!" are pretty awful but I have taken a few of those for large bonuses.

The rice ones are not so bad. I never buy the boxes. I always find them in or near dumpsters while I'm out on leisurely bike rides. The size really does not have to be exact--just err on the small side.

Mandy
Go to Top of Page

Laura Harms
Contributor

DeKalb, IL
USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  06:18:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will no longer do restaurant-alcohol-compliance-reveal-yourself-to-the-manager-comped_bill_shops. Here's why, I had done afew my second month of shopping, got some free date nights with hubby, sane time away from the kids and fairly good meals.

Then, there was one that was near a mall I was going to be at anyway, so I grabbed because it had a binus. I figured I could get some lunch and enjoy some time to myself before braving the mall on a weekend.

Well, the server did not card me and consequently "failed" the shop. When it came time to reveal myself, and this information, to the manager I got a little nervous since nobody had failed before. I told the manager that they failed the alcohol compliance, showed him my ID to prove who I was and that I was of age. The manager then went straight to the employee with the written information, pointed over to me and I assume either fired him or asked him to leave for the day.

Then the manager returned to me and gave me the comped bill. But then I had to leave the restaurant, alone, with a possibly disgruntled employee waiting for me in the parking lot, since he knew I was the shopper and gave away his mistake.

I have never been so afraid to leave a restaurant in my life, and I will admit I was looking over my shoulder all the way to the car, checked my rearview mirror all the way to the mall and was very cautious while at the mall.

The employee didn't follow me or anything, but I was very nervous and will not do these shops anymore because of it. You never know how someone will react!

Laura

Laura Powell
Independent Editor, Scheduler, Shopper
Go to Top of Page

KLuellen

Dumfries, VA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  06:57:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had to laugh reading this thread because I *just* did the "carry around a bulky object" one (and I'm scheduled to do it again next week!) AND the large home improvement store - although I don't have to buy a kitchen sink or anything! I guess us newbies are the suckers who take those jobs . I'm trying to get my feet wet so taking lots of jobs . . . for now!

I haven't seen the rice one!!! So odd the things we have to do! My favorite so far is the movie seat check I did last night. How easy is that? And I love the movies!

Kelly

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth36
Star Contributor

Greenville, NC
USA
566 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  10:11:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kanga

It just surprises me to see Exit Interviews on quite a few lists of dreaded shops. I just love them and I have had some great experiences on every assignment. The managers have been very pleased to see me there. They are quite anxious to get good marks. The customers have been mostly very willing to fill out the short form and I enjoyed visiting with a lot of them. There were, of course, some customers that were in a rush to leave and couldn't take the time and almost all of those were very apologetic for not having the time to fill one out.

I just had entirely different experiences with Exit Interviews and I find them to be easy and lots of fun.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the area where people are from? I am scheduled to do an exit interview Monday and am looking forward to it. Maybe people are more willing in the South to take the time to do the surveys. That whole *Southern Hospitality* thing?

No's for me? Well as a newbie I am taking alot that I might not do again. I do like the Grocery stores because I have to grocery shop anyway, might as well get paid for it. FF stores are probably more of a no from now on. I got paid really well for one that was DT and WI ($22.00 plus reimbursement) but after reading this board I know why they were paying so high! It is hard to do both a WI and DT in a small town.
I love the bank ones!!! Easy pay and so far the experience has been easy. I have 3 more next week!!!
I will not do the big ticket purchase required ones... Not enough extra cash to play with.

Elizabeth
Shopping Greenville NC and surrounding areas!
I WANT MORE MERCHANDISING WORK! Call me, ok?
Go to Top of Page

VickiC
Star Contributor

Placentia, CA
USA
455 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  1:31:03 PM  Send VickiC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Go to off airport parking in the middle of the night. Park, take shuttle to aiport. Bring suitcase loaded so as to appear to be actually flying. Get off shuttle at aiport. Wait. Do not take same shuttle back to parking. Return to car on another shuttle. Drive home, fill out survey. All this fun for 15 dollars.

Shopping North Orange County, Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Susanne Marie
Star Contributor

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  9:28:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The carpet cleaning shop. It took months of follow up reminders to the scheduling company to finally get paid and it was a lot of cash out of pocket. The carpets didn't look much better after being cleaned and they hounded me with duct cleaning phone calls for 6 months.

The bulky item shop where the employees seem to know the scenario just as well as I do. Too long of a form for too litle pay.

50 cent phone call shops. Too little pay for too much time.
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  06:27:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Vicki,

If you ever get a 10 foot pole, could you please do that one at BWI? They NEED it done. OMG I think I'm gonna start paying for the private parking, it's so bad there.

My brand-new 10-foot-pole shop is a rather well-paying shop from a notorious self-assign company that promises it won't take more than four hours, and first one took me 8, second one took me 6. It's an audit. Nuff said!
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  6:04:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just did the rice shop. Actually, the shop was the easiest part. Reviewing the paperwork, taking the briefing, going to 2 stores to get rice, get a box, package it up, a real hassle.

BUT... I just sent a box of manuals to some friends and the post office suggested the flat rate priority promotion of $7.77. They have special boxes and will send as much as you can cram in it. They were 4x the weight of the rice and the cost was about half. What a great deal. The promo goes thru Nov 06.

My 10ft pole shops are the auto supplies that take forever to pay, 13 months is just too long... and phone shops. And I'm pretty sick of FF.
Go to Top of Page

JSalata
Contributor

Wakeman, Ohio
USA
83 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  11:36:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MargeI

My brand-new 10-foot-pole shop is a rather well-paying shop from a notorious self-assign company that promises it won't take more than four hours, and first one took me 8, second one took me 6. It's an audit. Nuff said!
I just did this same audit! I guess I must be speedy, cause it only took me a little over 5 hours! I don't see myself doing another one of these in a long, long time.

Janice
Shopping in North Central OH - now Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  4:12:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just did a pet store audit that was suppose to take 3 hours but took around 5. There were over 300 items in every department. All they gave on the paperwork was the basic name(I mean basic), maker, UPC, SKU. Also, they were not in any order. If I didnt get the help of a very nice associate I would of been there all day. All that for $25. Thats less that minimium wage. Then of couse the 10 departments in department store, FF w/dine in and drive thru, any shop that pays or reim. less than $10.

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page

Helen Jean Harris
Valued Contributor

Mesa, AZ
USA
149 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  4:47:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I started shopping I did everything and almost anything to gain the experience. Well, doesn't take long to realize those jobs less than $10 are not worth it unless it's something you do anyway. Others I won't do are: grocery shops because usually long questionaire and some require 10 contacts and then giving their descriptions. Did 2 and they were awful.. UGH! Never do a buy and return shop. Usually stay away from long questionaire shops. Like others say too much work for little money and your printer, ink and paper mount up on costs. Keep it as simple as you can. Oh, one last NEVER do pizza shops if it's like those that want digital pictures. Did that for a BIG bonus and still will never do them again.

With that said I guess saying never is sometimes too much, but I think never works for most of the jobs I mentioned....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums