Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

MechelleNga
Valued Contributor

GA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  2:20:06 PM  Visit MechelleNga's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I absolutely love, the digital pizza shops (and so do my dogs).

Ya know why....because I wait till they get up to $15-$20 each.
Easy, easy...super easy . I have it down to photos and paperwork, in less than 30 minutes.

Shops I would never do again...the shop and return at the computer store, for an item up to $500.

Mechelle
Go to Top of Page

FancyFran
Valued Contributor

South San Francisco, CA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  4:25:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, maybe I'm too picky, but I won't touch those grocery pricing shops with a ten foot pole. You have to check 50 items in the store for an $8.00 fee and a $8.00 reimbursement. Way too much work for the !

Also - I saw a shop for a $90.00 lunch at an upscale restaurant where you use valet parking. The instructions are to leave cash on the seat of your car and see if the valet driver swipes it (you can bet you would be called to testify in court). Talk about not being able to sleep at night, all for a fancy lunch. No thankee!
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  4:57:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FancyFran

Well, maybe I'm too picky, but I won't touch those grocery pricing shops with a ten foot pole. You have to check 50 items in the store for an $8.00 fee and a $8.00 reimbursement. Way too much work for the !

Wow that is a lot...I have a grocery where you just have to be there 30 mins and make some observations about the store, NO need to interact w/any associates(you used to have to do 10 interactions a relative of mine did it then when they had that previous requirement) for $5 fee & $8 reimbursement. I only do a few now as I hate having to return (waste of gas and time) so I can get a really good shop fee! (Usually the shop dates are when this supermarket DOESN'T have good sales, and I don't feel like using my reimbursement on buying things I can get cheaper elsewhere!)

I hate cell phone shops(where you pretend you need service)...unless I can get a $30 fee for 'em. Then I grin & bear it

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

JonBinSD

Carlsbad, CA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  5:07:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a shop floating around in So CA for a mortage refi shop that pays $200+ $100 bonus to go through the complete process of a refi. There is a provision that after completely signing all the paperwork you are allowed to have the loan canceled. During the process you have to make mulitple calls and reports on the process. Way too much work and possible headaches if the loan cancel gets messed up.

The other is the one for a home inspection company that makes you pay $300-350 cash up front, for a small shop fee.

Forget these two, I'd rather go to the dentist!
Go to Top of Page

MelanieS
Contributor

IL
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  7:20:32 PM  Send MelanieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gads! Sad to say that in my five years of shopping, I've done almost every ten-foot-pole shopped mentioned,,,except carrying the kitchen sink around.

Here's my 10-foot-pole list:
1) ANYTHING on a college campus, especially purchase/return books in different months
2) Anything that requires me to loiter for 20 minutes in a store the size of a travel trailer.
3) Fried chicken shops in the 'hood. I actually did these for many months, but finally had to give them up, because I just knew I was a little too obvious - long blonde hair, bad Texas accent in St. Louis inner city locations,,,you do the math. (love the chicken, tho!)
4) Funeral homes - I quit doing these (loved the ) after my last one. The "salesman" was showing me different casket models, but didn't have an EMPTY one of a particular model. Yes, I got to check that one out with a dead person in it. TOO CREEPY for me! I QUIT!
5) Residential door-to-door surveys where you have to go to every third blue house and get an interview with the person whose birthday will fall on a full moon in the month of March,,,,or something equally impossible. I convinced a pal to work with me on this mega-money maker (NOT!). After we spent way too many days and miles on this shop, we discovered that another MS'er had disappeared only a few months prior doing this same type of work in Kansas City

Melanie
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  8:23:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A ff shop (not mcdc's) that's paying.....now get this....$7 whole dollars for a wi & dt! You got to be kidding me! Do all that interaction..check restroom...plus two jobs...

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth36
Star Contributor

Greenville, NC
USA
566 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  9:23:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PJLaw1

I just did a pet store audit that was suppose to take 3 hours but took around 5.....
Wow.. That sounds like one I just did for a pet store but if it is the same then they changed it some. Now only about 150 items... Orgnaized by area/location/department and now they are asking that on the next one I do that we get someone to help out during the audit if the store manager wants it... That should make it go alot quicker... I actually finished mine in about 2 1/2 hours... In their defense, if it is the same audit, they did state clearly that it was a new program and they were looking for feedback to improve it. So maybe your feedback made my audit easier!!!

I just recently completed a exit interview... The pay was good but having to enter 15 surveys one at a time, plus the cost of printing and faxing etc just didn't make it worth the time.. I can't wait til I get enough *good* shops so I can pick and choose.. Right now I am taking whatever I can get!

Elizabeth
Shopping Greenville NC and surrounding areas!
I WANT MORE MERCHANDISING WORK! Call me, ok?
Go to Top of Page

SoonerSteph
Apprentice

Tulsa, OK
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  9:42:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm just starting out, so I'll pretty much take what I can get within reason. I did just have a scheduler pull a guilt trip on me for not taking a $3 grocery store shop. Grrrr...

But anyway, I totally cracked up when I read the funeral home story.

*Stephanie*
Silver Certified in Tulsa, OK
Go to Top of Page

Mark Jones
Ray Sola

Battle Creek, MI
0 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  11:23:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm new so I haven't had many ten-foot-pole shops. But I got one last week. It was a dealership shop where I had to have Five (5!) 250-400 word essays. I've written shorter term papers and had less dialog in depositions. I wondered if they wanted me to wear a wire. It really would have been easier.
Go to Top of Page

MissChris
Contributor

CA
USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  01:01:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
OMG!! Melanie, I never even heard of a casket mystery shop!!! yeah, the seems to fit the ten foot pole category...

Okay, I don't know if it was mentioned yet but there's a certain coffee shop that requires a specific purchase and a question about brewing... The one time I did this the employees jumped to attention after that very obvious question. okay, who asks about the specifics on how to brew??? Silly but I won't do this shop b/c I don't like being outed that fast.

And grocery shops, sort of. I'll do it if you offer me a nice bonus!

Airport shops are ten footers for me b/c you have to memorize the employee ID numbers of workers!!! By the way the numbers are tiny and half the employees are wearing the name tags unside down. The day I went it was for a petite woman whose name tag was so low I had to stoop down to see the ID number!! It was not worth it!
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
626 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  07:31:19 AM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
3) Fried chicken shops in the 'hood. I actually did these for many months, but finally had to give them up, because I just knew I was a little too obvious - long blonde hair, bad Texas accent in St. Louis inner city locations,,,you do the math. (love the chicken, tho!)

I did one of those last month, and while my hair is brown and not blonde, I thought at first I stood out. And then a couple of other people who looked like me came in for take-out orders. I actually enjoyed this shop because the chicken is good, and the service was great.

You know, I got an email for an exit interview job tomorrow, pays well, but to be honest, I really don't like interacting with people that much. So, I just deleted it. I know how much I hate people bugging me for that kind of stuff. It was at a "large home improvement center" which leaves me 2 options.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

CarolLynn

Anaheim, CA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  6:55:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissChris

Okay, I don't know if it was mentioned yet but there's a certain coffee shop that requires a specific purchase and a question about brewing... The one time I did this the employees jumped to attention after that very obvious question. okay, who asks about the specifics on how to brew??? Silly but I won't do this shop b/c I don't like being outed that fast.

I guess I play the ditzy girl a little too well, because no one seemed to notice that my question was unusual when I asked it. I guess I just look like a person who can't make coffee!!
Go to Top of Page

FergusonKka
Valued Contributor

NY
USA
140 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  3:05:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
2 new ones come to mind:

Photographing a restroom in detail

Having a 'fun' interaction with 2 sales associates and the fee for this 1/2 hour shop includes your 'minor' purchase.

SOmehow my time seems to get more valuable and I can't hit 'delete' fast enough.

I'll never do those drive through/ eat in ones. I say spring for two shoppers or let them be done on different days.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  3:20:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A home improvement shop, that requires you to get not only 8 or so names but descriptions. Oh, and I forgot about writing up the interactions. How many times can one type: "Can I help you find something?"
Go to Top of Page

VickiC
Star Contributor

Placentia, CA
USA
455 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  3:50:06 PM  Send VickiC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some shops scream "I'm a shooper", but they are so nice and easy I do them anyways. If I'm spotted, then so be it, it's not my fault the scenarios is so badly written. Does any real customer inquire about the catering programs, then ask a stupid question about gift cards, then casually ask if there are any new menu items they should try, all during the lunch rush with 10 people in line behind them?

Shopping North Orange County, Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  3:53:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No, but like you said you dont write the scripts.
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  04:59:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will never work with a client's tape recorder again. Give me my own reliable equipment. Several years ago, I had to shop an upscale home builder. I was sent a tape recorder tho I had said I had my own very good one. NO, they needed their equipment and the tape. So my husband and I did the shop. The form was about 10 pages and I needed to send the tape and recorder back for backup. Sure enough, the thing did not work! There was static with intermittent conversation. We spent almost three hours on that shop location, looking at houses and getting info about the new community. And I spent several hours being detailed about the interactions on paper. (My husband used my own recorder as well and it worked fine! But they did not want that tape, which I was willing to send them.) But the company did not want to pay me my $50! After haggling with the account manager and the owner for hours on the phone, they finally sent me half of what the stupid job was worth. If I cannot use my own equipment, which I can trust, then let them find someone else. I felt cheated and used.

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

BrendaJM
Contributor

OH
USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  05:21:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No H I for under $50 for a walk thru & naming names. No purchase necessary with the return to follow, that will add pay for me.

Absolutely no more fast food, if I am doing a restaurant shop it is a great one!

Hotels, no way do I enter a Motel 6 when I can get $225 for a suite, $100 in food ($50 restaurant, $50 rooms service) and then have fun filing a complaint to get it all comped! I get lots of hotel shops.

Grocery shops that pay with G C to the store you are working for. I take a list with UPC's & price out the items for both stores. They fill carts with the items & place my check out receipt on both proving that you save money shopping with them. Those I really like, fast to do too with nice shopping to follow.

Did a cruise ship. DH was allowed to come but he had to pay. We check in as Elite members of the frequent cruisers club with the cruise line & they have us in an inside cabin right next to the anchor. I phoned that we can't sleep with the noise & vibration & I was told that you are working for us and that is the best employee cabin. Never again with Carnival. The 10 foot pole Cruise Line! I'd never cruise them period.

Bank shops, boring & low pay with no raise, bar shops with a meal & who wants to eat at a bar?

The ultimate 10 foot pole job is Service Plazas on Turnpikes. You are to visit all the stores, names & descriptions of people helping. You cannot spend over $5 & you get $5 for each store. But you pay tolls, no refund, and not too much is under $5 in the stores....

Brenda JM
MSPA Silver Certification
Go to Top of Page

JenShoppinFlorida
Valued Contributor

Plant City, Florida
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  4:18:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am a somewhat new shopper ~March 2005~ but I quickly found out that it is not worth my time to pick up as many as I can of the $7pay/$2reimburse gas station shops. I ran around a busy city one day like a chicken with my head cut off...all for about $45. Not worth it...never again...not with a ten foot pole!

Everyone on the -feedback for this particular company- thread seems to love this company. Me, personally...I do not enjoy having my work critiqued as if I were still in high school...all for about 9 bucks. Oh, and I did a card shop for them for a total of $10 including reimbursement. They lowered my score because I had the wrong next door location. I rechecked it and let them know that I did have the right one. Response..."thanks for the info." Do you think they changed my score of 8? NO! Yes they paid quickly, however I did not enjoy the work for the pay. Too much work, too little pay, too much criticism!

I am sorry but a company that advertises "convenience store needs shopped" has no place giving me an 8 out of 10 for slight grammar and punctuation errors. (Does "convenience store needs shopped" make any sense?)

I quickly removed myself from their database!

That's my

***Jennifer***
Shopping Central Florida
Go to Top of Page

JAngler64
Valued Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  07:49:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
OK, I haven't seen anyone comment on one of my pole shops:
The tomato audit for $6+$1 reimbursement.

Other 10 foot shops for me are:

1- any shops for a company where I have to chase down my money after doing everything correct, and they never answer answer calls/ emails.

2- The shop where you have to go through a HIGH PRESSURE sales presentation for a home improvement/ warehouse/ etc group. I thought it would be a short thing from the instructions, but wound up 3.5 hours in the location, plus 2 hours of reporting. Not even accounting for the phone calls before hand to schedule the appointment. No thank you. ('');

3- Make a phone call, go to the location, make a purchase of high end items, wait one day or longer, then do a return. And of course, every step must be documented. YUCK, and for a price of $15.00.

I probably have a couple more, but I just wanted to vent a bit this morning.

Jeff
MSPA Gold Certified aacxgi
Shopping Eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, NY to Washington, DC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums