Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:19:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
These paid $7 last round and I did a whole bunch. They take about 15 minutes and are extremely simple. Small wonder they got snatched for $10....they got snatched around here too!
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethG
Valued Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  1:02:24 PM  Send ElizabethG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do those TNS sandwich shops whenever they come to Chicago. For the one bite I need to take to know the sandwich is good, I get sandwiches for the whole family (doing a bunch of them at a time). We'd buy the sandwiches anyway, I love the ability to reward good work, and the "inventory" part is extremely easy to do. AND I get paid for it! All pluses in my book.

Gold Certified yysqi1
Shopping Chicago and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

DeeJay

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  11:22:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't do the Swedish Furniture chain that requires you to shop inside, outside, bathrooms and every department in the store, eat, purchase and return. On top of all of that, a 10 page report with lots of narratives. All of this for $xx dollars.
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  07:00:49 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Similarly, I won't do the outdoor clothing shop that requires over half an hour in the store, which is offered for less than $10 and a $5 reimbursement.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  09:57:25 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't do that furniture store either. I cannot believe the fee for all that work. I love shopping there and I am there at least once a week for the great deals, but I would not take that job unless the fee was at least $75.00. I can do the car dealership shops quicker and make more money.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Kathy C.
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  8:12:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Fast food assignments that only pay $7 for the report and a single taco or hamburger and drink in reimbursement fees.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:41:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KathyCastaneda

Fast food assignments that only pay $7 for the report and a single taco or hamburger and drink in reimbursement fees.
That's better than one company that's doing chinese ff where you only get reimbursed for the food, but they require you to remember SOOO much

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

.ChrisS
Inactive

Los Angeles, CA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:21:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is one I turned down:

Pays a whole $5 - which includes $2.50 for the audit; UP TO 50cents for the required purchase AND THEN up to $2.00 depending how many different of the company's products you find. WHEE!!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

JanetOKC
Contributor

Oklahoma City, OK
USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  09:43:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I enjoy reading this thread. I get a big kick out of noticing that there are shops I wouldn't even consider that others love. And it works the other way, too. There are a few shops folks hate that I enjoy. I suppose it takes all kinds. . . .

Janet
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

FancyFran
Valued Contributor

South San Francisco, CA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:54:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Tell me, fellow shoppers, who does those pricing/audit shops where you have to find 35-55 items on the shelves for $12.00 with a $1.00 reimbursement? People seem to take them in my area and that puzzles me. Anyone have any feedback on those shops?
Go to Top of Page

Mike Krieger
Star Contributor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  1:34:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've actually succeeded once with adding a $44 bonus and I think I wouldn't do it for any less than that bonus that it takes that long.

quote:
Originally posted by FancyFran

Tell me, fellow shoppers, who does those pricing/audit shops where you have to find 35-55 items on the shelves for $12.00 with a $1.00 reimbursement? People seem to take them in my area and that puzzles me. Anyone have any feedback on those shops?

Go to Top of Page

S Wollenberg
Contributor

Texas
USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  2:52:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't actually done one of these; but how in the world can you covertly count and check sizing for 250 garments in a retail clothing store?

Susan
Go to Top of Page

DeeJay

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  6:54:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S Wollenberg

but how in the world can you covertly count and check sizing for 250 garments in a retail clothing store?

I did one of these and it wasn't hard at all.
I tend to browse for bargains anyway.
I'd count in tens as I moved garments 1 by 1 on the rack, then occasionally pick up one and look at it as if I'm checking the size, etc.

It was easy and no one batted an eye.
Go to Top of Page

GaryR
Trainee

Brewster, NY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:46:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had a lot of fun with the TNS fast food shops last summer but could not believe how much the audit portion of the form has absolutely mushroomed out of control on this round -- not worth the extra $2 for my tastes. People are reporting such different reactions to this shop that I'm wondering if there might be long and short variations to the form.

It all points out a typical problem in this biz -- you usually don't get to see what the actual form and instructions look like until you accept a shop, based on the often very sketchy summary info that is offered up front. (One thing I like so much about ServiceIntelligence is that the forms are posted where you can see them beforehand.)
Go to Top of Page

JenniferL

Midland, TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  12:21:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryR

I had a lot of fun with the TNS fast food shops last summer but could not believe how much the audit portion of the form has absolutely mushroomed out of control on this round -- not worth the extra $2 for my tastes. People are reporting such different reactions to this shop that I'm wondering if there might be long and short variations to the form.

I have taken several of these shops this round and am pleased with it. Yes, there are a lot of questions and a lot to audit, but it is extremely simple and takes no time at all, at least in the locations that I have been shopping/auditing.

For me, $10 an HOUR would be good pay at a "conventional" job, but $10 for half an hour (for the shop and actual reporting combined) is great! I am a SAHM/student in an area where the price of living is fairly low, so I try and think about getting shops that will pay at least $15/hour (including the reporting time) so that it is worth it for me to either be away from my family or worth it to bring my baby! lol!

Shops that I hate are bank shops where you get paid $10 and have to be at the location for at least 30 minutes and have to actually talk to the target person. I don't know about you, but at my bank it takes at LEAST 30 minutes to even get to talk to anyone and if you ask for someone in particular, it makes it very obvious that something's up (and you might have to wait a LOT longer )

I also hate reimbursement only pizza mutilation shops. I always wait for a bonus on these for it to even be worth the time to take the ridiculous photos plus cut up a perfectly good pizza.

Oh I also wanted to add those $4 gas station audits where you have to go in the restroom and take a picture, make a gas and store purchase (and only get reimbursed $1 for each), and take a picture of a gas pump. I see that the fee was raised in other areas, but in my area they were all snatched up before the fee increase! I couldn't believe it!

Jennifer
Silver Certified: 5dhvx5
Happily shopping Midland and Odessa, TX for over 3 years!
Go to Top of Page

Dee in AZ
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
663 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  8:01:19 PM  Send Dee in AZ an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Those $4 digital gas shops were snapped up in my area too. I can't believe people will work for such low fees. Not me.
Most of the grocery shops I see these days are too much work for the fees. I do a few of them with my regular shopping but I don't go out of my way to do them.
I don't mind the sandwich shops. There is more information but once you do one you know what to look for and it goes fast. It works out for a quick meal.

Deanna Kessler
Deannna.kessler@seelevelhx.com
Go to Top of Page

JeannieGA
Valued Contributor

Alpharetta, GA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  9:20:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How about the discount clothing store with two purchase and a return for $12? And the note on the website that they are sorry but they have to drop fees. They can keep the job for the fee being offered.

Jeannie in GA
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  10:42:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeannie, that's better than the $10 shoe shop where you have to make sure the associate does certain things, purchase 'em and then wait at least 30 minutes to return.

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth36
Star Contributor

Greenville, NC
USA
566 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:46:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
WOW! I just read the shop instructions for the $12 2 purchase and return AND the other one for the same company.....

JUST WOW!

This is the first on my list of 10 foot pole shops... you have to count (by my estimates) over 1000 pieces??????

Nope... Not for that fee....

Elizabeth
Shopping Greenville NC and surrounding areas!
I WANT MORE MERCHANDISING WORK! Call me, ok?
Go to Top of Page

GVargas
Valued Contributor

WA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  07:39:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A lot of the comments in this thread are over the pay of the job. Certainly if the pay is too low no job is attractive. But what if pay wasn't the issue? Are there shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole even if they were paying a $100 bonus?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums