Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

DeeJay

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  07:53:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gvargas,

The furniture shop is lengthy, I mean long!
It is extremely detailed and requires a comment on every line item, even the ones you check off as positive.
It took me 3 hours in the store to hit all of the departments and half the night to input the thing.
Let's just say a $100 bonus would still make this unattractive.

I could have dinner with a $60 remimbursement and a small fee and have a nice evening out and come out better.
JMO of course
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  08:07:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You would have to pay me a SIZABLE amount of money to spend time in a public bathroom taking photos, carrying a stepstool, etc. Yuck!

Jan
Go to Top of Page

JulieShops
Valued Contributor

Benwood, West Virginia
USA
174 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  11:56:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Count me out for the Swedish home store shop too. Loading furniture into your van and promptly returning it is too stupid for any amount of money. Too bad, too, because the store is a neat place to shop. They have some items that are useful and unique.

I have also become wiser about the college bookstore shops. Spending 20 minutes browsing sounds easy enough, until you find out the store is the size of a bathroom. Twenty minutes suddenly seems like a VERY long time.

Exit interviews. Just shoot me.
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth36
Star Contributor

Greenville, NC
USA
566 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  12:05:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Agreed on the exit interviews... I fell for this when I was newbie because the fee sounded good... NEVER AGAIN for ANY amount of money!!!

Only one positive came out of that.. if I ever see anyone doing a survey/exit interview I will stop and do it.. I feel their pain!!!

Elizabeth
Shopping Greenville NC and surrounding areas!
I WANT MORE MERCHANDISING WORK! Call me, ok?
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  2:46:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
OMG Julie, you're so right about the college bookstore!!!

Dang place was about the size of my kitchen. One staff member working. No one in there who's not a student, but me. I'm making up all these bogus excuses for why I'm browsing textbooks -- WHO BROWSES TEXTBOOKS????

In case it will help anyone, I told her I was working on an article on the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and I was curious how the finance textbooks were writing it up, since it's such a hot topic these days. (I don't think she knew wth I was talking about...)

Of course, needing to buy some stupid trinket at the end is the dead giveaway. I will never do that one again!

PS She HAD to know, she came after me on the sales floor offering me samples of chewing gum....
Go to Top of Page

Maureen5360
Star Contributor

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  3:28:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Actually when I was in college (and I went back as an adult so I definitely wasn't 19 again) I used to browse textbooks to size up some classes I had been considering. The other deciding factor in college seemed to be that if the book was substantial enough to crack nuts in the student union, it was valuable. We were always hungry it seemed.......
Go to Top of Page

Stacey in SouthFlorida
Contributor

Fort Lauderdale, FL
USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  4:37:57 PM  Send Stacey in SouthFlorida an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also hate that $10.00 bank shop where you have to talk to someone at the counter and then have them refer you to a banker. The scenario leaves a lot to be desired. I did several of them when I started shopping a few years ago and then realized how much I hated doing them.

Stacey

Stacey
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping all around Fort Lauderdale and Boca Raton, Florida
AOL IM: StaceyShopperSFL
Go to Top of Page

MsPesek
Valued Contributor

Alabaster, Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  6:52:05 PM  Visit MsPesek's Homepage  Send MsPesek an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
ANY $8 shop that threatens me in the offer letter, telling me what they will do to me if I do not do everything exactly as I report it. They will look at videotapes? Ok-great. Save your money you would have paid me and just look at the tapes. Have a nice time. SHEESH!

Susan Pesek
Silver Certified 7hvpqx
Go to Top of Page

Camille Brown
Valued Contributor

Springfield, MO
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  7:38:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did my first $10 bank shop a couple of days ago and enjoyed it. I was there about 30 minutes. Don't see how you could do the same branch again in less than 6 months. After you sit 15 minutes or so in the banker's office and talk face to face, there's no way he wouldn't remember you.

Camille Brown
Go to Top of Page

EliseWeav
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
528 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  8:36:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Camille,
I agree. I feel can't do those shops bank again within 6 months, at least. Generally, I am there 15-20 minutes. I do find it worthwhile when they or bonused, or, if you can schedule a route in the same area.

I am DYING to go to the Swedish store. They just opened one in my local area (local being about 40 miles away) after years and years of my yearning over the catalog and wishing they had a store here. I saw the shop listed and thought "no way" because of the amount of time, deparments, and having to return an item afterwards. I want my first experience in my local store to be relaxing and rewarding!!!

Elise
Boston area, especially North Shore. Silver certified and shopping since 2004.
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  06:58:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Elise,

I was in Boston over Thanksgiving and my whole family couldn't stop talking about that!

WOW they are HERE WOW WOW!

It ain't "all that" -- my advice would be wait for the crowds to die back down!

It is pretty amazing, though, that it took this many years for them to get to the Boston market. Wonder why....
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  07:55:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MargeI

It is pretty amazing, though, that it took this many years for them to get to the Boston market. Wonder why....
I remember them back from Germany. They always had cheap solid products. Every student went there for furniture and other stuff. Great solutions for small spaces. Anyhow, when they finally opened one up in Chicago in the 90's (we used to live there back then), I was happy, ... well, until I went inside and had a sticker shock It was only two years before that visit that I had been in a store in Germany. Some items in the Chicago store were double the price of what I knew it was just two years before Granted, Chicago is an expensive area and I'm sure they have to pay a lot to ship their specialty stuff to the US, plus whatever import/export costs there are with customs. But doubling the price?
Anyhow, that might explain, why their expansion into the US market is slow. People are often busy looking, but not buying as much...

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

ArtemisPub
Contributor

West Palm Beach, FL
USA
152 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  6:40:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have not done any shops I wouldn't do again, and one restaurant reimbursement has increased their reimbursement for required menu items. However, I believe restaurant shops should pay a fee and reimbursement if the shop is complex and requires lengthy narratives and detailed observations.

Artemis Smith
Go to Top of Page

RochelleP

Cheyenne, WY
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  6:58:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just started mystery shopping a couple of months ago so was taking whatever jobs were available for the experience. I accepted the national home improvement job where you have to shop 10 different employees before I read through the past posts here on the subject. They only paid $5. All I can say is NEVER again.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Susanne Marie
Star Contributor

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:53:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have several shops I will not do again.
The carpet cleaning shop-took 6 months to get reimbursed and had daily phone calls from the carpet cleaning company wanting to clean my vents. The carry a bulky item, purchase and return shop-too much work for too little money. The $10 bank shop-again too much time for too little money. The $9 cell phone shops where you have to wait half an hour to be helped and then the company calls you to dispute any negative things you write in your report.

Some I look at and laugh. The 10 dept home improvement store, the kids shoe store, the shop where you spend half and hour in a teen store for less than $10! I know not to hit accept on those as I'll be miserable the whole time I'm doing them!
Go to Top of Page

RochelleP

Cheyenne, WY
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  2:22:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just read the instructions for a $12 purchase and return shop. You actually have to make 2 purchases but they only require you to return one. You can return the second one if you want to but it has to be returned in a different area of the store. They won't reimburse you if you keep it. No way was I touching this one. One return I might do. I'm not going to keep the second item I don't need so it would be 2 returns...and you can't even return them at the same time/place. Not even with a 10 foot pole...

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

GLabow464
Valued Contributor

Springfield, PA
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  4:44:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Boy, it really is "to each his own." I like higher priced shops, but I take some of the ones other people wouldn't touch. We do a shoe shop which is low fee because my wife likes to shop there each season. I get a couple pairs of shoes and take one back. She bought three pairs this last time around. We go to lunch down the street while I am waiting my 30 minutes before doing the return. Where? Well, at a place I shop. Free lunch for me.
It is a really good shop for us. Then we went to a movie (another shop). Too bad I didn't have a dinner shop that day. And it was for my birthday!! Couldn't have been better.

Gary - Silver gjs9lz
Go to Top of Page

KarenWe

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  6:57:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I understand, "To each his/her own." I live in a major city. $10.00 to $15.00 cell phone shops are great. There is one from each company on every corner and in every mall. Taking them along side of my other shops is a major bonus.
Still the ones I won't touch with a ten foot pole are these.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  11:23:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any shop from that 0.50 cent phone call company, no matter how much they bonus their other shops. You gotta take a stand somewhere. There are plenty of other good companies out there

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

MaraInColo

Arvada, CO
USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  07:08:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have done the sandwich shops, the census takes about ten minutes. I also do the sizing shops in less than an hour. I can do the pet store inventory in less than half an hour with an employee and just under an hour without help. The shops go faster after doing several of them. I also don't mind toilet pictures. The pay is great for ten minutes on site and another ten to enter the report. I don't rename or resize the pics. I avoid the home improvement stores and most purchase and returns. I like cellphone and electronics shops because I can shop for things I like to learn about. I'll shop anything one time and then pass over it if the time and pay aren't adequate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums