Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Andie
Valued Contributor

Sealy, TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  4:35:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL about the Swedish furniture store.

I just moved near a town with one. We went there over Christmas to buy a wardrobe. Bought it and went to put it in the car. We have a Volvo wagon so it should not have been a problem as you can fold down just one side of the seat. Forgot we had my mother with us - (hubby, 2 kids, mom & me) so we had to walk back inside and return the thing. Now I know that it is likely they were thinking we were the shoppers!

Doing very little shopping now since I moved to a small town. The only jobs I see are the fast food $8 for in and drive-thru and the $7 gas shops with $1 reimbursement. And guess what? I am not doing them. Factoring in the price per gallon of gas and computer ink, they don't pay for themselves!

Andie
Gold Certified, CCSE
Small Town TX
Go to Top of Page

KellyNY
Star Contributor

Long Island, New York
USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  4:49:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who actually likes the swedish furniture shop? I love the store, and my son absolutely loves the play area. I have the shop down pat and can usually get out of there in an hour as long as there is no line at the return counter...I make sure I don't schedule it for the weekend because I imagine the return line would be a nightmare, but at 2:00 on a weekday afternoon, it's usually fairly quiet. And I don't lug the item to my car either. I simply tell them I didn't realize how big it was, or that I don't like the color, or something along those lines. I would happily do more of these if I could, but the company has a 90 day rotation on it. I guess it's true, to each his own!

Long Island, NY
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Presley
Valued Contributor

Dallas, Texas
USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  7:33:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kelly,

I loved doing this shop too. It was time consuming however I learned some time saving tips for next time. The staff is wonderful and I really enjoyed looking at all of the merchandise. What a great store!!!!

Presley, KH
Gold Certified
Shopping Dallas/Ft. Worth & Surrounding Areas
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethG
Valued Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  1:48:15 PM  Send ElizabethG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't ever again do any merchandising in a Sam's Club. I have been treated poorly by management there more often than I have been treated well. No thanks!

Gold Certified yysqi1
Shopping Chicago and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

CMilton
Star Contributor

North Haledon, NJ
USA
379 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  1:18:03 PM  Visit CMilton's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I've been doing this for almost two years and yes, there are some that just don't pay; the ones where I have to crawl around under a gas pump to take photos of the signs and then visit the ineveitably disgusting bathrooms (in the snow, lol). The Swedish superstore shop where I need to drag some piece of furniture to the car and then back again....the restaurants where the reimbursement doesn't even come close to paying for the bill. Mailing rice? I don't think so.
I have concentrated my work with a few companies that pay professional rates for professional quality work; I do bank reps, luxury hotels and restaurants, and I am very grateful to get reliable work for these companies. But visiting four departments for 5 bucks and a 2 buck reimburse? Not in my lifetime. It's insulting and degrading in the message it sends to those of us who truly try to do well at what we do.

celia milton
Gold Certified 2004, nzcy0k
Go to Top of Page

DonnaShops
Star Contributor

Murfreesboro, TN
USA
380 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  6:56:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay...I have a new "shop I won't touch with a 10 foot pole"...the 38 page vitamin store audit. I enjoy doing audits...and the actual audit itself was't too bad. It took an hour and a half and the employee was cooperative. However, the shop input took about twice that long...uploading and renaming 31 pictures, in this case, matching them with the right question, explaining all no's, etc. Unless the fee is doubled or the requirements are cut in half...NO WAY!!

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping Middle TN & Beyond
Someday my Spa Shop will come!
Go to Top of Page

RalphMorenstern

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  11:25:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So, are the vitamin store audit and the "4 photo" gas station shops structured that way so as to strongly encourage a "clean" report? Sure seems that way. Once had someone tell me they could do and enter the vitamin store shop in about 1 hour total because they were "so experienced." LOL
Go to Top of Page

DonnaShops
Star Contributor

Murfreesboro, TN
USA
380 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  08:50:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One hour for the vitamin store audit??? In a perfect world, where there weren't any "no's", leaving only the 9 required photos...possibly. Oh, right...we don't live anywhere Perfect...that's why there's Walgreen's...

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Camille Brown
Valued Contributor

Springfield, MO
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  09:35:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree about the vitamin store audit. The shop wasn't so bad. Took about an hour and a half (although one poster reported she could do it in half an hour), but the form and pics were what were so frustrating and time consuming. Don't think it had anything to do with wanting a clean report. There were just so many things to take pics of. Took me half an hour just to take the pics off my camera as I had about 50. Besides the 9 required, needed one for each deficiency. Associating them with the correct question, as mentioned, was also quite time consuming although I had taken careful notes during the audit.

Camille Brown
Go to Top of Page

SacTam
Contributor

Sacramento, CA
USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  3:39:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will never do a check cashing shop ever again. One shop I recently did had me go in to cash a check. It took me 20 minutes to cash a $15 check I wrote to myself. I had to show multiple forms of ID, get fingerprinted, wait for the clerk to verify that my check is indeed real, AND have my picture taken. All this for $8, and I was not reimbursed the $3 service charge I had to pay to cash the check.
Go to Top of Page

Roswitha
Star Contributor

Pinellas Park, FL
USA
445 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  6:42:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
WOW and OUCH.
Not even a reimbursement for the check cashing fee?
Haven't even seen this shop and it certainly sounds like I would not want to.

Hopefully it was a real short report!

Roswitha
MSPA Gold Shopping sunny Florida Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo .....
Go to Top of Page

MSJamey
Valued Contributor

McKinney, TX
USA
116 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  12:00:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Let me tell you all the uploading of pictures, resizing, naming pictures with job numbers, scanning receipts...ugh what a pain"

What potty shop are you talking about The ones I do don't have anywhere near the amount of hassle you describe. Uploading a pic? I do that as a daily event around here, just ask my photobucket and ringo accounts. Resizing? I have my camera set to 480x640, no complaints. Naming pics with job numbers? never had to do that, either. I changed to naming mine for my benefit. Scanning receipts? for what? I never had to scan anything. I don't have to buy anything.

It takes me about 15 minutes to do a shop. Maybe 15 minutes to do the report if the potty was not up to par like it should be. I made up a special bag with gloves, a clipboard, my mirror, towel, that nice sanitizing gel, my little steppy stool. I look formidable and professional when I walk in that door. I just keep the whole thing tossed in the back of the truck for when I have a shop.

As far as I am concerned, I will take any and all potty shops that come my way. They are uber easy, I am a mother, so I have seen tons worse, it's not yucky, it's not like I am actually touching anything. An added bonus is I can make a man turn and run out of the bathroom in less than two seconds flat...now THAT is control, honey!

The shops I am not fond of, are the ones that ask me to input my shop online, then want me to mail said same exact thing to them snail mail. Isn't one copy good enough? Plus, all the mailing of ICA's yada yada....grrr, I don't even mail out christmas cards...they want me to mail stuff....grrrx2

The shops I won't touch, I hate to say, are the ones I am afraid of....the FF shops. First, they look incredibly detailed with lots of steps. Second, I don't think my sugar level could handle the temptation. Third, it seems an awful lot of work for so little pay.
The hotel shops is another one I am just not interested in. I do apartment shops, I don't mind narrative....but it sounds like it is more narrative than my brain can wheel out in one session.

Jamey
I can see you.
MSPA Silver Certified
Queen of theater Standees!
Go to Top of Page

CherieN
Valued Contributor

MD
USA
248 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  07:16:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would NEVER EVER do a bar intergrity shop again that requires me to sit at the bar for 1 1/2 hours and take a guest with me. On top of that you had to order 2 alcoholic & 1 non-alcoholic drinks a piece. They claimed you didn't have to drink them. What person goes to the bar and orders a bunch of drinks but does not drink them? Then on top of that they say you can split an appetizer. The appetizer comes out and it is 7 small chicken tenders.
Go to Top of Page

Traci18

IA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  08:35:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who won't do reveal shops? I did one about 5 years ago and a computer store and swore never again. Then about 2 months ago, I got the "can you PLLEEEASE help us with an emergency reveal sandwich shop for a bonus?" UGH - I said yes, but regretted it the whole time. I feel WAY uncomfortable doing this. Besides, I live a town that is just way to small. A side benefit is that I get great service every time I go in there now......

Happily Shopping Central Iowa

Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

CarolineWalker76
Trainee

Atlanta, GA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:06:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually like doing reveal shops. I enjoy seeing the look in their faces when I walk back in. Either they are happy because they know they did a great job, or embarrassed because they know they screwed up. I even had a manager try to get me to change some of the answers so he could get a bigger bonus! Maybe I'm wierd, but I like doing them!

MSPA Silver Certified ljobc3
Mystery Shopper since 2004
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:44:16 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like them too. I have been doing some for Maritz that are great. I try to take them whenever I can.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Lee
Contributor

Central Texas
USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  2:23:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have only done one potty picture shop and I surprisingly loved it. It was easy and quick! I didn't think uploading the photos was difficult at all. My first attempt at one place was blocked by the manager, who had no idea about the audit. But the second location, the manager was laid back and seemed to know exactly what was going on.

I did the attempt to cash a check at a bank and it was no problem. I was simply told that since I didn't have an account there, I couldn't cash a check. Even easier, the teller didn't offer to introduce me to any account reps, so I earned a decent amount just for about 2-3 minutes conversation.

Thanks to the great people of this forum, I narrowly escaped the classic drive-through and order-in in the same hour fast-food deal. I nearly signed up for it, but felt a little weird about it, so I checked the comments here. Later I found out from a friend that she did the same type of job and got laughed at by the drive-through people after she bought items in the store. I don't see how this type of reporting could often be effective, unless one gets lucky somehow.

Michelle Lee
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Ron de Sacramento
Valued Contributor

Sacramento, CA
USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  05:01:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CandiWV_

There are a few types of shops I will never do again. Well, maybe never. LOL. Bank shops asking you to tell them you have such a large amount. I hate lying. I feel so low when I leave those types of shops. I would probably do another one if I got desperate. LOL.
Another one is grocery shops for less than ten dollars. The pretending like you are an airhead and forgetting that item under the cart when you just unloaded an almost empty cart gives you away as a shopper. Plus the fact that you have visited every department in the store gives you away.
One that I like doing because of the pay but hate being there is the funeral home shops. Everytime I leave one I wonder when I am going to really need this.

All you need for a scenario about having money is a believable one. The one that they train you at banks or brokerages is inheritances or "coming into money". No one is too young to come into an inheritance or money plus it gives you another dodge "I'd rather not talk about the sum because I am still grieving."
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethG
Valued Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  05:33:02 AM  Send ElizabethG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't see playing the role of a person who has more money than I do as "lying." It's acting, for a purpose, and these bankers know that they will be shopped at some time by someone who is playing such a role. Your job, should you decide to accept it , is to play the role well enough that s/he won't know it's YOU who are the shopper! That's all.

Gold Certified yysqi1
Shopping Chicago and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

DonnaShops
Star Contributor

Murfreesboro, TN
USA
380 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  07:40:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love reveal shops. I enjoy interacting with people and like being "in charge." (Maybe it's because I'm firstborn and a former restaurant General Manager.) I'd have to say that audits and reveal shops are probably my favorites (unless they have way too much report or pictures for the .)

The bank/investment shops where you have to pretend to have are probably some of my least favorites. They're depressing...I WISH I had !

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums