Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  07:58:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's funny seeing people talk about shops they LOVE in this thread crazy]

I won't take the phone audits that have been REDUCED by $2 this month at a well known MSC. If you do 'em you can't do any MSing at THAT store for a year after that

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

EloiseStone
Contributor

Redwood City, CA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  09:20:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had to do a shop on a credit union where I was suppoed to have a a hundred thousand dollars to invest. Yeah! That will happen! But I thought it was fun to pretend for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Sara D
Valued Contributor

South Hadley, MA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  5:16:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't know if this type of shop has been mentioned yet in this loooooonnnngggg thread, but the one shop that I have done that I would not touch with a ten-foot pole at this point is...........

An apartment shop that requires that I reach a specific agent and then requires that I handwrite the results of my shop on a zillion page report...

Oi.

Sara A Davidow,
MSPA Gold Certified shopper #aziwc5
Go to Top of Page

DonnaShops
Star Contributor

Murfreesboro, TN
USA
380 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  5:22:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I don't enjoy apartment shops, so I tend to stay away from those. Because of that, I haven't run across this shop. If I consider accepting an apartment shop, I'll have to find out about the reporting process first! Thanks for the heads up.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping Middle TN & Beyond
Someday my Spa Shop will come!
Go to Top of Page

A.Lake
Trainee

Cary, NC
USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  6:48:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did two of the TNS sandwich shops. These two places were literally out in the middle of nowhere. I got a $30 bonus on each one. Did them both in one day. One was even on the way to the other (well sort of...lol). The places these are at are a great motorcycle ride to get too, so I hopped on the bike headed east and made out like a bandit for an area I ride out to a lot anyway!
Go to Top of Page

TaraSue
Star Contributor

Fort Wayne, IN
USA
384 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  8:04:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
for those of you who LIKE the check cashing beware... I saw the screen by chance one day, your record is CLEARLY starred mystery shopper on the screen that normally only the clerk can see....
Go to Top of Page

EmilyMtr
Valued Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  10:41:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, after shopping for a few years I've never posted on this topic yet...I always say, I'll try every shop ONCE...but now I've changed my mind. Here's my 10 ft poles:

1. The auto shop where you have to drive all the way out to the auto mall, haggle the price with a salesperson (who knows how long that will take) drive all the way back and write about it for $15! LOL Most car shops I've done pay at least 3-4x that! This would amount to less than minimum wage here.

2. Then there's the repeated shops up at the ski resort. Seems to me now, these schedulers must realize that no shoppers actually live there! Perhaps if they offered decent bonuses, (and there is more than one company that has ski resort shops) I could see myself driving there and doing a round of them. But the fee offered never increases.

3. Then there's the $2 phone shop...downloading audio info, a 5 min report (it's always more than 5 minutes) Well at least it's not the 50 cent pizza shop, but still someone is making more than $2 on this project and it ain't us!

4. Now there's the store that requires you to stay 35 minutes! It's pretty hard to do when it's empty and small..just walk around in circles for 35 minutes looking confused? And sure they give you $5 to spend in the store, but you can't even find something in the clearance bin for $5!! Spend much more and that would eat up the small shop fee!

These are the first ones that enter my mind, only because I see them posted again and again...Give me time and I'll probably add to this list soon.
Go to Top of Page

Terry P
Trainee

CA
USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  8:16:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say that my biggest complaint is along the the lines of the previous comment.

For example: A shop sounds doable based on the announcement, and I sign up. *Then* I get the *complete* requirements. In some cases, had I read the full info beforehand, I would not have signed up. It is annoying.

Example, "You will be paid $15.00 to do xyz shop." THEN, when the full info comes, "you must buy xxx for which you will be reimbursed." Well, xxx costs $5.00 so now the shop is $10.00. Granted, you are reimbursed for xxx, BUT you have to buy something you may or may not want.

Hope that doesn't sound too picky but this is only one of several examples...

Terry
Go to Top of Page

CMilton
Star Contributor

North Haledon, NJ
USA
379 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  4:14:36 PM  Visit CMilton's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I normally love real estate shops, but I just bailed on one that I will never accept again. The rep (who I couldn't call; I had to track him via a website) took the president's day weekend off, then, after updating his recording to say he would be in on Wedndesay, ( I got rescheduled for Thursday) took Thursday and Friday off. The schedular was livid with me, rescheduled me for another day without checking if I could do it.

Now, I have already called the darn place four times, and rescheduled two days of shopping to work with his schedule (and not been able to shop him) , and the scheduler tells me that "maybe I shouldn't take jobs like this". And of course, I've spent time without being paid.

I was insane, lol. Maybe the complex shouldn't hire reps like him......

celia milton
Gold Certified 2004, nzcy0k
Go to Top of Page

.Janet Sue
Contributor

Bayside, NY
USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  6:52:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Time to bring this list to the top again.
I just saw a listing on one site offering $10.00 plus $1.50 for a purchase. Interact with 4 associates at least. Ask about merchandise
somewhere else in the store. Watch for 10 store conditions.
NOW THE CLINCHER- Hours of shop: 1AM-7AM.
Don't these mystery shopping companies think that we are human and might want to sleep? I declined the offer with the following reason:
No jobs done in the dead of night.

Janet

Janet Sue
Silver Certified.
Shopping-Queens and New York City
Go to Top of Page

Pandora

Casper, Wyoming
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  7:40:30 PM  Visit Pandora's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

The one I'm debating right now is those grogery shops.
The kicker that gets me. Must be in the store for 30 mins?! What can I do in the store for 30 min? Besides it takes me that long in the line to get checked out! You must buy something for so much. Ok? Like what? I have tried to buy there requiments. But it never makes it up to the required amount.
The same people working and the same long line.
I tried doing the same shop two times in a row. Except there were two days apart. And still couldn't get the amount required. No more grogrey shops for me please.

Live in the West States.
Looking for more merchandising work!
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  8:07:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can be (easily) suckered once, but not twice!

The one shop I will NEVER do again I took because it paid $45 and I was a brand new shopper. Oh great, I thought. As I drove to this large home furnishing store, I heard a radio advertisement that said there was huge semi-annual sale occuring that weekend. I had to visit one department, buy an item in the warehouse, pick it up, return it, and, in addition visit 3-4 other departments including the food area and write each section up. During my shop experience, the customers in the store were getting so fed up with the waits, there was a mutiny in the warehouse pick up line where everyone refused to cooperate with the sales associates, began yelling and then demanded better service. It was a nightmare. It took me 5 hours to complete this shop, the waits took forever, and then I had to write it up and submit that night. I didn't get to bed until 3 am. It almost cured me of ever MSing again. I was feeling so hostile by the time I got home that I didn't care what score I received. Got an 8 but I will never do that one again.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

PamBam
Star Contributor

Schaumburg, IL
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  3:45:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will never again shop companies that require me to get employees LAST NAMES - when they don't even wear name tags giving their first one! I can pull the ol' "Aren't you Ben, Kimberly's brother?" but in this day and age of security, nobody wants to give their last name. And then you need to preserve anonymity as well - not for me.

Pam

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping domestic and international locations since 2003
Go to Top of Page

Andrea S.
Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  9:37:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Amy, I saw that shop recently. The shop fee is a lot of money for a poor student/new shopper such as I, but I'd just recently read this thread and I decided not to take it. Now, reading your post, I'm glad I did.

That said, that particular store has a lot of neat things, I need to go there sometime when I'm not shopping.

Shopping New York City & Atlanta
MSPA Silver Certified #nanexe
Go to Top of Page

Karen A.
Star Contributor

Hudson, NC
USA
297 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  10:08:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will never ever attempt to do a phone card machine installation again.I would not touch a shop requiring a min. purchase of $25.00 the shop pays $12.00 and I could keep the purchase or any type of ABC store or bar.

Karen A.
Go to Top of Page

Roswitha
Star Contributor

Pinellas Park, FL
USA
445 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:18:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would not touch a shop requiring a min. purchase of $25.00 the shop pays $12.00 and I could keep the purchase

WOW - I guess when you put it that way - maybe it is a ten foot pole shop.

Roswitha
MSPA Gold Shopping sunny Florida Tampa, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Largo .....
Go to Top of Page

Alieda
Contributor

Tulsa, OK
USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  07:33:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Karen you are so right about a phone card instillament shop never again. I wented to a gas station to do one , all the wire were pullin to one place and they were so mess up you could not tell which one was which one. I ask the person there to help but he just say pull one because he was not sure. Well I pull the wrong one and shut down eveything. He get the pump working again but all night long they had no restiers, so it was back to the old days when stores just had a money box. Yes I get pay.
Go to Top of Page

Karen A.
Star Contributor

Hudson, NC
USA
297 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  10:18:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alieda you are good! At least you followed through to the end.I had to stop and was not allowed to go to the remaining stores.Thank God!Amazingly the company I was working for did not hold it against me.

Karen A.
Go to Top of Page

CarolShopsNTX
Valued Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  12:26:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amy Kitay

I can be (easily) suckered once, but not twice!

The one shop I will NEVER do again I took because it paid $45 and I was a brand new shopper. Oh great, I thought. As I drove to this large home furnishing store, I heard a radio advertisement that said there was huge semi-annual sale occuring that weekend. I had to visit one department, buy an item in the warehouse, pick it up, return it, and, in addition visit 3-4 other departments including the food area and write each section up. During my shop experience, the customers in the store were getting so fed up with the waits, there was a mutiny in the warehouse pick up line where everyone refused to cooperate with the sales associates, began yelling and then demanded better service. It was a nightmare. It took me 5 hours to complete this shop, the waits took forever, and then I had to write it up and submit that night. I didn't get to bed until 3 am. It almost cured me of ever MSing again. I was feeling so hostile by the time I got home that I didn't care what score I received. Got an 8 but I will never do that one again.

I've done this shop ONCE too! On a Weekend - took me ONE hour to learn the store layout and then about 1 1/2 to do the shop. NEVER NEVER EVER again (well now I know the store, on a weekday, maybe!)

Shopping North Texas and sometimes Central Colorado! MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

ChrisP
Apprentice

Yonkers, NY
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  4:29:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I look at the postings, I try avoid the shops that require training or testing. You are required to study, evaluate and sometimes submit writing samples. The average shop pay is $10 or less. Is it worth it? I don't think so.

Chris P
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums