Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

ShowAngie
Valued Contributor

Greer, SC
USA
164 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  6:38:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
When I look at the postings, I try avoid the shops that require training or testing. You are required to study, evaluate and sometimes submit writing samples. The average shop pay is $10 or less. Is it worth it? I don't think so.
I totally agree. Some on these threads think a particular company or two that require ridiculous tests are worth it. I am insulted by them. You can't do the shop correctly without printing, reading and know the instructions, so I don't need to take a silly knowledge level test to show that I am worthy of the shop. Anyone that knows education knows that those kinds of test show absolutely nothing. Anyone can memorize and spit back info., but it comes from short term memory. It doesn't translate into long term knowledge, and shouldn't make a difference in a shop being done well or not. I refuse to take them and do those shops. My time is way more valuable than that.
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  8:05:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the tests. I like this ms company because it's self assigned supermarket several times a month. It's well worth the time to take the tests because it brings me steady work every month.

The one I will not do again it's the upscale teen clothing stores in the mall that requires getting a name when they don't wear a name tag.

Connie
~*~how beautiful it is to do nothing...and then to rest afterward~*~
Go to Top of Page

CarynCOregon

Portland, Oregon
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  4:26:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The 5 dollar hardware shop that requires you to make a phone call, observe 5 employees, purchase something for 2 dollars, when there is nothing useful available for 2 dollars, and then input the shop asking for in depth details.
I fell for it once but never, I mean NEVER, again.
Oh and you had to take a long certification test.
I don't mind the tests for some companies because it has helped sometimes but for a 5 dollar shop? Not gonna happen.

Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  7:39:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will never do another bookstore shop again.

Today, all I had to do was complete 3 easy count-the-steps shops in 3 different bookstores all within a 5 mile radius near my home.

Total income of the 3 shops: $15

Total amount spent at the 3 shops: $18

Total time completing said 3 shops: 3 hours

Worse, had to return to the first bookstore cuz I got so deep into a conversation with another customer that I forgot to count the registers.

Ten lashes with a wet noodle!

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Ruthie

New York
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  2:04:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
From now on I will be selecting my assignments more carefully than I already have been. This past Saturday was the worst shop experience for me. Hopefully, I will never end up in a section of town where I have to worry if my car will be stolen as I walk past scary people who stare, cat call, and hoot and holler at me. A firm grasp on my pepper spray bottle was the only way I got through that FF shop. All that suffering for a FF meal that I gave away,(I only eat healthy but I was curious about FF shops.) and a measly $8.00 fee for my valuable time? Never again.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MSerBill

NY
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  9:53:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean!!! Thats why you have to look before you choose some shops.
Go to Top of Page

SacTam
Contributor

Sacramento, CA
USA
63 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  10:40:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's a great one I got today:
"The shop will pay a reimbursement up to $6 for your purchase plus a $3 fee."

No thanks!
Go to Top of Page

LisaCDuffy
Contributor

Vallejo, CA
USA
64 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  11:38:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got suckered into an apartment community that had a "c" rating. Can we all say, "NEVER AGAIN!" The company told me to "dress down" so that I could blend in. Let me tell you, the only way I could blend in is if I appeared HOMELESS!!!! I was SO afraid for my life, that I burned rubber outta there! Also, I will no longer do any shop under $10 UNLESS the scenario is one that I'm curious of for my own personal gain, such as going to an electronics store to inquire about laptops because I plan on purchasing one, or going to a credit union to learn that they are now offering 6-week Certificates of Deposits. But, my rule of thumb is that I am burned out and will no longer do cell phone and fast food shops (unless they are emergency shops that pay $20 or more).

LisaD - Certified MSPA Gold member shopping since 2005 and LOVING the high-end and entertainment shops!
Go to Top of Page

Ron de Sacramento
Valued Contributor

Sacramento, CA
USA
214 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  3:35:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SacTam

Here's a great one I got today:
"The shop will pay a reimbursement up to $6 for your purchase plus a $3 fee."
I got that one too! Whoo hoo! A whopping $3 profit!
Go to Top of Page

TerryCorsello
Contributor

Rochester Hills, Mi
USA
80 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  5:34:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well I feel better, I've done about 22 shops. I did a home improvement shop yesterday and it was horrible. There was no return, but you had to chase down the "employees" to get anywhere near them. Not only did I not enjoy it but I dont know if I even want to shop there anymore! I reeally don't want to do that again! I love the fast food ones though, I think they're fun. The bowling one was the best - I got to take my daughter for some 'mommy and me' time!!

Silver Certified in Rochester Hills, Mi... I Love audits!! Send me more!
Go to Top of Page

Christina_C
Contributor

Portland, OR
USA
75 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  8:03:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL, a company that has a huge list of complaints on here and is known for their low-paying, highly-detailed, extensive-test-taking shops had an apartment shop that I took even though it was a distance because I thought I could work it into my route. They didn't even tell me it was a "c" property on the paperwork and I assumed standard "b" property. Well, I was WRONG! There was a guy outside trying to get me to try some "pie" out of a brown paper bag. I was mortified! I wasn't expecting this type of environment at all, and never would have taken it had I known it was in a ghetto for gods sake. LOL
I stood out horribly...but made it through because I guess I felt like an adventure that day. That company, I've had more problems with them, overall it just ends up not being worth it. Never got anything less than a 5 on my reports though..but now another company has their clients and is paying $10 more per shop. Hmmmm. Maybe I'm not so burnt out on apartments after all? There's nay an apartment left in Portland I haven't shopped (that do shop their properties) so I needed to take a break. We'll see.

MSPA GOLD Certified - Shopping the Portland Metro since 2001
Go to Top of Page

NoelleL

Florence, SC
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  9:59:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will not do anymore reveal shops... they payway too little and it ticks me off when I've recieved excellent service and they don't get the prize because of some pencil pushers idea of proper timing.. Irecently had one of those where the shop was perfet but it wasdone ata busy time and there were a large amount of cars in front ofme. COnsidering the amountof business, I felt I had recieved my meal in a reasonable time, (4 minute wait with 5 cars ahead of me at the drive thru) but they missed the target becuase they should have served me in 3 minutes or less..

NoelleL
Go to Top of Page

LThurston
Contributor

TX
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  07:09:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've done this shop ONCE too! On a Weekend - took me ONE hour to learn the store layout and then about 1 1/2 to do the shop. NEVER NEVER EVER again (well now I know the store, on a weekday, maybe!)
I did this shop too! I was soooo stressed by the time I left there (after 3 hours) that I almost quit mystery shopping that day. I was supposed to go to 5 different departments and find items that were out of stock and ask a cashier where they were. I couldn't find anything out of stock in 1 department much less 5 different ones!

Lisa
MSPA Gold Cert
Go to Top of Page

MMedina
Apprentice

Atlanta, GA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  08:31:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw some for no pet stores. I did one over 2 years ago and my purchase was a fish that I still have. So even though i only got reimbursed for the purchase I got reimbursed more from my new little friend. I will NEVER EVER do a cut up pizza shop again!! They got me 1 time and that was 1 time too many.

Melanie
Silver certified!
Go to Top of Page

SueBEEE
Trainee

Mesa, AZ
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:32:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did one this weekend for a store that sells things for your home...Had to get EVERY employee's name , carry around bulky items and do multiple scenarios. The instructions were confusing, the paperwork was even more confusing and inputting the report did not clearly align with the paperwork. Compensation was under 10 with a reimbursement under 10. I think I figured out that I grossed about 5 dollars an hour. Big mistake. It was worse than the book store one I did several months ago. Live and learn I guess.

BajaSue
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MarcieL
Apprentice

La Habra, CA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  9:52:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh Sue, I know of what you speak. And here I was carrying these ridiculously large and awkward baskets (I really wanted the baskets) around while every single store employee pretended not to notice me. Some walked right by me more than twice and never offered a cart. Silly shopper, just because the shop instructions say they 'should' doesn't mean they 'will'.

I would LOVE to see the tape review of me during this shop. The baskets were on my head, they were on my shoulder, I was leaning on the baskets against a post the whole while looking forlornly at every employee that walked by. There was a part where you were supposed to ask an employee the location of an item you knew was in stock. I did that, baskets on the head, and the employee didn't even bat an eyelash as they led me to the item. I swear, it HAD to have been torture the mystery shopper day. I think that particular employee won the jackpot. I will NEVER do that one again. I've also done that $45 home store shop *shudder*

Lately when I see these shops come up, I get this image in my head of the scheduler calling out for volunteers to step forward. Those of us that have been once bitten step back from the line and let the newbie have it. Then after the shop they stumble on this forum or on another and they get to join the me-too-never-again club. A initiation or right of passage so to speak. No one ever calls you a fool, they just pat you on the back and say, "I remember when I did that shop too, never again."
~M
Go to Top of Page

AngelaN
Valued Contributor

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  12:00:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well the $1 phone shop would definitely have to make this banned list.

I can't believe they even post this.

AngelaN
Go to Top of Page

Sara D
Valued Contributor

South Hadley, MA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  04:35:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ever done one of those pet pricing shops? (I haven't read through every post so maybe someone's already posted about this one...) You know, where you're supposed to go in there and record all kinds of information for all kinds of dog and cat food, including some UPC codes.. all of which, as the instructions indicate, could take you up to 1 1/2 hours... and you're supposed to do it all covertly?

Yeah. That was really unpleasant. Never again.

-Sara

Sara A Davidow,
MSPA Gold Certified shopper #aziwc5
Go to Top of Page

Ruthie

New York
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  06:53:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yuck! I just got an email for a shop where you have to go into a public restroom and take a series of pictures including:

Toilet flush holes
Men's urinal flush holes
The underside OR the sink bowl including faucets (you will need to read the shop details to determine which picture you will need to take).

How disgusting and foul! I looked to see how much it paid and saw that one of the locations were scheduled! I guess some people will do anything for a measly $15.00 I thought I recently saw a thread on this type of shop but I can't seem to find it.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Nancy954
Apprentice

Yardville, NJ
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  7:42:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done almost all of these--ONCE. But once was enough. The bath store, the covert pet shop audit, the home improvement $5.00 one. I actually like the pizza mutilations.

My all time worst shops haven't been mentioned. I haven't seen them offered in a while so maybe they realized how dreadful they were. One you had to pick out a gift, have it engraved, and then return it. I felt awful after having the salesgirl help me pick something out and choose the lettering and then bring it back. The other one involved getting a bra fitting. I was the only customer in this store. The salesgirl was bringing back all these bras for me to try on so I could find the perfect one. Then I had to return it. What was I supposed to say? It didn't fit? I ended up buying two and then saying I really only needed one, but it was not worth it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums