Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Val17

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  1:15:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wont do the gas station photo shops either! Way too much time and not worth the pay. I also did not like the purchase a large item and wait for someone to offer you a cart, and the managers of the store know what the key item is and they are on the lookout for customers inquiring about that item. There a bunch of others were the fee is 5.00 and under.
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  2:56:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, Deb, quick thinking for those movie assignments. If you ask, they may let you switch off with a friend so you don't look so obvious. I did it a couple of times some time ago, and I used two sets of friends with the blessing of the ms company.
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  8:25:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any new ones to add?

I won't do ff shops with a decent reimbursement and miniscule pay that doesn't let me order the food the way I like it.

I won't do shops with such specific criteria all of the employees (and probably half of the customers!) must know you are the shopper. I don't understand the point of this type of shop; and, invariably, these are offered by the same companies that warn you "if you are 'spotted' as the shopper you will not be paid"...uhm...well...duh...how could you NOT be?

Many other shops I haven't done are many thanks to those who post here...*lol*

So, what are you avoiding now?

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

ShanaS

New York, NY
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  12:31:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For the right price, I'll do fast food shops. I've found that when it comes to a free meal that's nearby (with mostly yes/no questions on the eval), the "right price" isn't terribly high.

I know MargeI posted about this awhile ago, but I, too, am leery of shops prefaced with "No Hassle."

Since I'm still a newbie with this, I'm continuing to get a feel for what I like and what I don't like. At this point, I am open to most kinds of places, and the 10-foot pole determination is based more on whether the amount of work is commensurate with the pay. For example, there is a prevalent office supply store that appears to pay insanely low for the interactions and document printing components. I haven't done this shop because it just doesn't seem worth it.

I feel similarly about a lot of the purchase and return shops I see--it seems like two shops for a teensy bit more than the price of one. Fitness clubs turn me off, too--I don't know if there is a price for which I'd do these--not sure if I could deal with the pushiness.
Go to Top of Page

.TheLloyd
Inactive

Corning, NY
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  09:59:33 AM  Send .TheLloyd an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a 10-foot-pole favorite.

One company is offering a compliance check at one restaurant which is reveal and no fee. The manager comps the food, you mail in to get the drink(s) reimbursed and no fee for the first shop, then tiny fees for the 2nd and 3rd shop.

Maybe the non-anonymous merchandisers would like to pick these up, but as an anonymous mystery shopper I'm not interested in 'outing' myself for no fee, especially if the compliance check fails and leaves everyone mad. By the time I've done it 3 times for tiny fees the employees of this restaurant will likely have spread to other restaurants in the area and I'll be recognized everywhere and completely out of business.

Insult to injury - I'm solicited for these several times *every* day.

Also gas shops at $4 each. At $3/gallon the gas stations are all $4 apart so that's just entering reports for free.

Lloyd
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  10:31:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deb Jump

Blind movie theater check in a small town. I had to buy tickets for two matiness and three evening showings of the same film. I was going in and out all day long, to the bewildered looks of the theater employees. The best excuse I could think of was that my ex-boyfriend played a small part in the first 15 minutes of the film and I wanted to see him over and over... (ah, young love )

Deb, too funny! I've told them that I was taking a film class and had to write a paper about the movie, plot, lighting, etc. Only thing I could think of.
Lisa
Go to Top of Page

LynnJ
Star Contributor

MA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  6:50:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If it was really hot out, you could say, "I just want to be in the AC!! And I thought it was a great movie, so it's worth paying to just sit in here all day."

Gold Certified in Central Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  8:08:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The ones I won't touch, we are offering a bonus on this job of $2.00 to give you $8.00 now, if you can drive 40 miles one way. Yea right! I feel like I am being down right insulted with this one company when they act like they are offering me such a good deal. Needless to say I decline each time.

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JNorthup
Valued Contributor

Toledo, OH
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  9:28:19 PM  Send JNorthup an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynnJ

If it was really hot out, you could say, "I just want to be in the AC!! And I thought it was a great movie, so it's worth paying to just sit in here all day."
that's funny! With all those tickets she had to buy, I'd say, that cost more than to use an AC in your own home for a week! But in any case.....I guess you had to be in a hurricane stricken area where your neighborhood has had no power for weeks and you're on the verge of dying from a heat stroke, then that line would be a good one! "I go to the movies to survive!"

Josh
Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  07:08:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I tell myself never again every time, and yet I still do it.
But talks!

... The awfully awful price audit at the retail computer store...

The last I did took me upwards of 2 1/2 hours as there was some sort of a concenssus amongst the employees not to help me out.

The first employee had to leave for the day so he left, then the manager helped me for about ten minutes and had to go, the third employee just stood behind me without helping, the fourth guy wanted me out of there so bad he rushed me through the store....Which was OK because I was ready to leave.

Trust me, trying to find motherboards and wireless modems is not what I do for a hobby!

BTW, I saw the first employee playing with the Xbox display when I left, two hours + after he had told me he needed to leave...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

.Erin Steffanie Peterson
Inactive

Seattle, WA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  2:48:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
1. I personally don't deal well with targeted apartment shops. They're way too unpredictable, in regard to timing. I never know when I'm going to finally be able to get ahold of the target and they ultimately end up messing up my schedule.

2. Competitive pricing shops. I just don't do very well with recording information, in public, without being suspected of something. I had a store employee follow me around once, thinking that I was shoplifting. Way too stressful.

3. Food shops that won't let me order what I want. I don't mind having to order a specific type of item (mixed drink, entree for everyone in the party,) but I draw the line at having someone else tell me what to eat.

4. Shops with ridiculous criteria. Asking very obvious questions, taking covert photos in public or otherwise embarassing myself in public just aren't worth it.

That being said, I absolutely love car dealership shops, as there are so many cars that I've always wanted to drive and... woo! I get to drive them! I actually found my new dream car during a dealership shop.

I also love restaurants, even if they're reimbursement only. I don't have to cook, I don't have to clean up, saves on groceries and it's nice to be waited on for a change.

There are also a few companies that I'll rarely, if ever, turn down. I just like the people and the schedulers so much that... even if I really dislike the shop, I'll usually take it anyway.

Steffanie
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JNorthup
Valued Contributor

Toledo, OH
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  3:41:33 PM  Send JNorthup an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
When you look at the "shop details" on a job board, if the address shows as a "PO box" ,the phone number was either unavailable or expired, and the scheduler says, "well, its in the town, you could ask when you get there, the client hasn't gotten back to us on the address yet and its been shopped in the past." YEAH RIGHT. No thank you. I need an address or I will be driving in circles, burning gas at $3.00 a gallon!

Josh
Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Carol C
Star Contributor

Washington, DC
USA
436 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  3:53:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Josh, I have a similar issue with one particular shop in my area, which is inside a sports arena. It is only open during events, which means that it is not open most days, and is often not open at all during the day part specified for the shop. Yet the MSC does not mention this in the job instructions, and the location has no phone. Any shopper who is not familiar with the location could easily drive all the way there only to find that it is not open, and indeed that there is no sign at the location indicating when it will be open. In fact, they may not be able to find the location at all when the arena is not open, since it does not have a separate sign.

Washington, DC-area Gold Certified #cr5xij
MSPA Rookie Shopper of the Year 2007
Go to Top of Page

EllenNC
Star Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
498 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  6:09:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I disagree with a lot of you on this, but I will not take what some call "high end" shops--hotel and fine(?)dining. They are usually reimbursement only and some say they like them for the free night or the free meal but not me. There's nothing free about working your rump off for a meal or a bed when you work the entire time keeping notes and keep track of every detail and then spend hours writing pages to summarize the shop. The only winner here is the client. I don't call these "high end". I call these just plain cheap. To me high end is when the bonus is "high" at the "end" of the month. I would rather work and pay for a night out and enjoy it.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

TaraSue
Star Contributor

Fort Wayne, IN
USA
384 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  11:14:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nsite is a prime example of that. LOTS of paperwork and granted a free meal but not worth it when the report takes longer than it did to eat the five course meal.
Go to Top of Page

AJasinski
Trainee

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  12:21:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How funny how one person loves what another hates. I really like those revealed shops that pay on the tiered system. That structure is fairly new. The scheduler is super nice and have worked with me on the fees. At this point, if I get a familiar server, we both keep our mouths shut. I've been responsible for servers losing their job, but it's not my fault and I don't have to see them after the deed is done. I fit them in when I have something else near it. Can't beat a paid lunch.

Amanda
Go to Top of Page

Chris59
Valued Contributor

Palmerston North
New Zealand
105 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  9:57:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It really doesn't matter what shop it is, I,ll give it a go, but am sure getting sick of F.F. My theory is I am in this game to do something different and MAKE MONEY,
So I look carefully at the costs to me, and running my car 40 km round trip for a free breakfast and $4 is not even considered, when, if I wanted, I could go 1km down the road and get the same thing for a lot less than what the costs are to me doing a M.S

Chris
Go to Top of Page

DWyndon
Apprentice

Altadena, CA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  02:00:43 AM  Send DWyndon an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The shop that I really will not do at all are:

PURCHASE/RETURN's - Those are the worst for me.

I have been mystery shopping for about 10 years. The first four years where just for fun.

Back in the olden days, Mystery Shopping was this.. Go to this store and purchase 'xxxzzxx' report on how you were treated and you got to keep the item you purchased and you were reimbursed for your purchase and I believe you got money as well. That is why I got started. To get paid for spending someone else's money and I got to keep the item. YIPPEE!

Fast forward 10 years and not only can I not keep the item, but you want me to return it (usually not the same day or hours later) and I don't even get paid for the return trip??!?!!!??

Those kinds of shops are an insult to me on so many levels..

Wow! That felt good to get that off my chest... LOL

Take Care All
Darlene

Darlene Wyndon
Go to Top of Page

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  05:30:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One (of the many) new ones I've seen that I won't do; A certain digital picture retail shop that makes you answer about 7 questions before showing you the shop. One of the questions is, "do you mind doing a shop that may take up to 2 hours to complete?" uhm...well....no, actually I don't, but, for $12? You better believe it!

If anyone HAS done this shop, how long does it actually take?

Thanks!

~Christina

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

Debbie Coler

Dallas, TX
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  09:00:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, did it once and it did take two hours. First and last time at that rate!

Debbie Coler
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums