Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

.ChristinaHall
Inactive

Louisville, KY
USA
2126 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  3:17:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
sheesh! Even if we COULD and WOULD work for $6. per hour... once you factor in gas, we would be working for almost nothing.

I guess someone else can do these.

~Christina

Christina Hall
silver certified zqst3x
Go to Top of Page

Greta
Valued Contributor

Waldorf, MD
USA
132 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  4:49:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Add to my list an apartment shop where you have 6 hours after the shop to enter a detailed form online with and overview that needs 2000 - 5000 characters.

I received a call from a scheduler for this shop. I un-assigned myself when I saw the reporting time requirements.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  12:46:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DeborahL

Definately no more gas shops for me. I just did my second at the same location and it will be the last. The pay is not worth what I spend and taking a picture of the gas pump makes me nervous that they will think I am scoping them out for a terrorist act or something. I take it from the car, but I am still afraid of being seen. Besides, gas everywhere else around here is $2,31, but it's $2.95 at the "target" location. Plus, getting a receipt for a pack of gum gets you some strange looks.
At first I would buy gum or a cookie and, you are correct, asking for a receipt will get you strange looks. Most of these stores have a section with a variety of "office supplies" like ball-point pens, paper clips, rulers, etc, priced from $.50 on up. I started buying these items and asking for a receipt (which you would need for tax purposes). It felt less conspicuous. And I have accumulated a variety of nice little office supply gadgets.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Beth in TheWineCountry
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
161 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  7:53:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita,

You have a great idea with the office supply stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Beth

Gold Certified shopper happily evaluating
the North SF bay area
Go to Top of Page

.Erin Steffanie Peterson
Inactive

Seattle, WA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  8:47:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know which gas station photo shops you're talking about and used to do a lot of them. After I got a system down, they'd take me 15-20 minutes. Not bad, at the rate they were paying. However, getting that system down took quite a few shops and they weren't nearly as lucrative.

Steffanie
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

AnnaZ
Valued Contributor

Burlington, MA
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  10:11:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
New ten foot shop - Go to a shopping mall in the boonduck area of the state, 50 miles away from my house, and do 30 shops for $2 each. BTW, all the shops are not at the same building as the mall has the main area and then smaller buildings. The scheduler actually told me that's a great opportunity for a high paying job. That's in the area where gas stations are $20-$30 per shop. I just made the same amount in an hour this morning, 3 shops with 10 min reports, and did not have to drive.
Go to Top of Page

TaraSue
Star Contributor

Fort Wayne, IN
USA
384 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  6:28:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the 30 stores because it is in my backyard...
that report is over an hour long...
very NOT worth it
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  03:58:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would not do anything requiring me to go to Bush Intercontinental Airport. What at madhouse!

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

MsKim
Star Contributor

Bryan, Texas
USA
419 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  1:27:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think I know what company and shop you are refering to. I emailed them back and explained that I am familair with reveal gas shops along with other reveal shops ---
I stated that after reviewing what was needed for the shop, I was comfortable with completing it in the time stated--
I also noted that I did take ALL the required photos and then some extras ---
The shop not only went through but I was asked to do several more and was not asked about the time on the other ones.

Ms Kim
Go to Top of Page

Larry S
Valued Contributor

Simi Valley, CA
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  1:55:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do these shops all the time. In fact I did 4 today. 20 - 22 minutes tops from the time I enter the property until the time I leave and that includes completing the paperwork. I have never been questioned.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

KellieR

NY
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  2:39:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can't see doing any shop that pays less than $10. Especially if you have to take an hour to fill out the form. The only exception is with restaurant shops. I like being able to go to a nice restaurant and get reimbursed for it. I won't do the restaurant shops that do not offer enough money to cover the necessary meals. Then it's not worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  10:58:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Got a call from a scheduler I like to do a gas station convenience store. "You have to make a purchase. A soda and a candy bar, or something like that. Just don't go over $[x]." Okay. No problem. "How much is the fee?" "No fee, but we'll cover the soda and the candy bar."

BWHAHAHAHA.

I filled up at the gas station the next day. And I bought a snack. Wonder if she ever got anyone to fill the shop?

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  05:37:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Burrito shops where I have to take the item back and make them remake it for some reason. I like the food there but won't do their silly scenario. Besides, a dessert is required, which I cannot eat!

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

MsKim
Star Contributor

Bryan, Texas
USA
419 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  06:51:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
oh my gosh
I can not believe that MS companies are actually trying to get us to work for free--

I know that the schedulers with the low paying gas shops have to complete one gas shop at the low paying fee--they are not alloweed to get it a higher rate---
She said they (higher up)that they want the schedulers to experience the shop and at a low fee---

OK--I understand the purpose of completing a shop for the experience but to HAVE to experience the low fee--not sure what the point of that is--
So that the schedulers can have MORE pity for us as they ask us to these shops at low fees---LOL

Ms Kim
Go to Top of Page

Eric in Tampa
Valued Contributor

Shopperville, FL
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:49:59 AM  Visit Eric in Tampa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now this is a good topic! I just received a call on lunch from a scheduler to whom I have a great professional relationship with. She requested if I can do some retail shops for $3 with a $2 reimbursement for the sole purpose of validating your time there (receipt). I helped her out when she was in a bind before but right now, be it the beginning of the month, I just can't do a MS less than $15. Its good to be booked but $3 to me represents less than a gallon of gas and the half hour it takes to finish the report is time I could be spent doing something else.

Eric
MSPA Gold Certified, 2007; IMSC Certified, 2012 (Chicago), 2013 (Atlanta), 2015 (Las Vegas).
Undercover Essentials Video Certified, 2012 and owns PV-500 ECO. Nevada Work card (expires 2020).
Go to Top of Page

Val AC
Valued Contributor

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  11:07:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eric in Tampa

Now this is a good topic! Its good to be booked but $3 to me represents less than a gallon of gas and the half hour it takes to finish the report is time I could be spent doing something else.

You are so right, Eric. I think too many shoppers just look at being booked. I've recently been seeing just $10-12 shops. That looks fabulous after seeing $4 & $5 shops, but you have to figure in gas and report time. Today, I got emailed 3 $10 shops in the same area, but I didn't take them b/c I have a feeling I wouldn't get all 3 (with my luck) and then each one wanted minimum of 25 minutes in the store, trying things on and then the report. All that for $10.
Go to Top of Page

Val AC
Valued Contributor

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  11:16:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the apartment shop where the report had to be entered within 6 hours. I took it b/c I knew I could get it done. Having said that, I assumed the report would be somewhat simple. I've had simple apartment shop reports. Oh, to see those again. This one required a lot of narrative. Don't think I would do it again.

I don't like shops that get offered to me and then I have to take some sort of goofy product knowledge test to APPLY for the shop. Then you figure you're going to get your instructions when you get assigned the shop and have to read through those. What do these people expect from us? It's not like they're going to commit to giving you a shop every week or month.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  8:06:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaliCat
I decided the only way I can do these is to lie.

That was sarcasm, right?
Because if it was not, how is that ethical?
They will not mind you telling them the truth and stating what you just said in your post, as many of us have experienced. I usually put something like "The location had no major issues [if applicable]" or "The evaluation was straightforward". I have never been questioned and have done more than 200 of those.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  12:34:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any shop done at an airport that doesn't pay for parking.

"URGENT! Shop that doesn't require security clearance. Incentive bonus offered!"

Wow. A whopping $6 + $2 "incentive". Not sure about where you live, but here that would just barely cover the parking for an hour.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  6:44:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie_WA_Writer

Any shop done at an airport that doesn't pay for parking.

"URGENT! Shop that doesn't require security clearance. Incentive bonus offered!"

Wow. A whopping $6 + $2 "incentive". Not sure about where you live, but here that would just barely cover the parking for an hour.

Julie, Where I live, parking is free the first hour at the airport.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums