Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  12:15:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For the gravesite assignments, try doing a "google" on gravesite service or similar terms. It should pop right up.

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

Jim P
Contributor

Vancouver, WA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  12:44:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not 100% sure, but it think the MSC in question for the gravesite assignments has an advertisement for it inside their job applications (Check the right hand side, below where you enter your username and password). I've never saw a job assignment specifically for doing it on their Job Board.

Would it be OK to post the URL to the actual company listed in the advertisements on the MSC website?

Jim
Shopping in The Vancouver, WA/Portland, OR Metro areas.
Go to Top of Page

Aileen M.
Star Contributor

Naperville, IL
USA
410 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  2:18:24 PM  Visit Aileen M.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
This MSP also has the five department discount store shop and cigarette compliance shops. It's a big comany...

Aileen Mullee
General Manager
Ann Michaels and Associates
Go to Top of Page

CariTX
Valued Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
201 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  2:25:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I'll have to do some investigating, since I don't recognize the companies that you've given clues for. I've also seen this service advertised on the Internet, but not with job opportunities.

Arch, there should be an icon at the top of my post that says Email Poster. That will send a private email to me.

MSPA GOLD Certified gdhls4. Happily shopping and merchandising in North Texas
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  7:12:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cari, It's a sassie site. The grave site jobs are few and far in between. I only saw one in the last 6 months and it was over 60 miles from me 1-way.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Madge Shawver
Star Contributor

PA
USA
299 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  07:57:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have seen those Funeral services, and wouldn't do them either. I also see some $3 shopping shops????

Madge
Go to Top of Page

Janis in SoFla

Pembroke Pines, Florida
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  6:15:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt do any shops that require me to print out pages and pages of rules. Ink is expensive. I also won't do a shop that is more than 5 miles out of my way. I burn 3 dollars worth of gas to make 8 or 9 dollars is not worth it to me

Silver certified shopping in South Florida
Go to Top of Page

Mz.Paulette
Trainee

S. Florida
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  5:54:10 PM  Visit Mz.Paulette's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
OMG I did a furniture shop at a HUGE furniture retailer and it was incredibly tedious. Ten different departments with an inquiry, name and description of each clerk and item as well as detailed narratives of each. They suggested 3 hours and it took just that long plus an additional 2.5 hours to enter the shop. I also did a Dept store audit recently that required 100 different items also 3 hours. No Mas for me.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ICourland
Contributor

New York, NY
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:08:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mz.Paulette

OMG I did a furniture shop at a HUGE furniture retailer and it was incredibly tedious. Ten different departments with an inquiry, name and description of each clerk and item as well as detailed narratives of each. They suggested 3 hours and it took just that long plus an additional 2.5 hours to enter the shop. I also did a Dept store audit recently that required 100 different items also 3 hours. No Mas for me.

I did the same one - 6+ hours of work for $40 (not including the gas, travel time and requisite food purchase). This is the shop that got me to stop mystery shopping almost completely. It's almost impossible to get me to take on a new and mysterious assignment, because I got gunny-sacked like the above 3 times for different companies in different stores. They oftentimes don't want you to know the full extent of the work you have to do. I estimated the shop company could be getting upwards of $500 for the completed report, based on the amount of work the shopper does.

I do few mystery shops anymore because I can't stand it. It is a grueling, painful way to make money.

Now most of my MS work is bonused.

Ilene
I no longer shop. Stop spamming me with your shops!
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  11:54:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
These last two posts had me laughing (in empathy). I view that particular shop, done only during their semi-annual sale, as the hazing ritual for newbies. I did that shop too 2 years ago when I first started because I was swayed by the big pay check. However, after I was done, that pay check turned worthless considering the time it took and the exhaustion of staying up til 3 am to get the report done. I learned my lessons. First, not to take everything that pops up and second, never to go back to that store. Nothing against the store, but that shop had me overdose on it and the memories are so bad. This shop needs to be performed by two shoppers.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

ICourland
Contributor

New York, NY
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  1:47:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
This shop needs to be performed by two shoppers.

This shop needs to be performed by a team of several shoppers, but of course that costs real money, and they hope that a single shopper can be worked to death because it maximizes the bottom line.

If you slip up and miss even one thing, the shop is canceled and you don't get paid. I know, because it happened to me; I got paid only because I screamed and made a fuss over working all day into the night.

This particular assignment is the US equivalent of a sweatshop in Bangladesh. Worse even, because you're paying $4.50 gas to get to it, and the chances of payment is iffy.

I don't care what I say here because I'm 90% retired from the MS gig.

Ilene
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  4:09:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AmyK

However, after I was done, that pay check turned worthless considering the time it took and the exhaustion of staying up til 3 am to get the report done. I learned my lessons. First, not to take everything that pops up and second, never to go back to that store. Nothing against the store, but that shop had me overdose on it and the memories are so bad. This shop needs to be performed by two shoppers.

And I thought I was the only one who couldn't go back the store after the shop! Before I did the shop there, I used to view a trip there as a treat--even to the restaurant! I would go there and shop for personal, home things, every month or so. But with the shop (and the aftermath) such a negative experience, I haven't been there for myself since my first--and only--shop there. That was more than a year ago.

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  4:44:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If y'all are talking about the furniture place with 4 letters in the name, the pay is more than the $40 per ICourland.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

ICourland
Contributor

New York, NY
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  4:45:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

If y'all are talking about the furniture place with 4 letters in the name, the pay is more than the $40 per ICourland.

Eek! That's what I got about a year ago. So what is it now?

Ilene
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  4:59:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here it's usually bonused to $65 or $70 and I still won't consider it...well maybe someday. As I've said before, I used to do them regularly for a different company for much less $$, but they kept adding things to do on the shop. I did it once or twice for the new (not so new anymore) company for around $55, I think, and NEVER again. I think I emailed them regarding the tedious report and told them it's at least a $100 shop.

I became VERY familar with the store layout and could BREEZE through it in a bit over 2 hours, but that report was a nightmare. Shudder..shudder when I think about it. I also remember staying up most of the night to get it in. UCK NEVER AGAIN.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  5:23:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last time I saw it posted, it was $55, a $15 increase from 2 years ago, but not nearly enough to compensate for services rendered. Didn't notice it this month, although when ever I drive past the store and see the sale banner, I just smile and pity the poor soul who took the shop.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  8:05:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's a bit inconvenient, my acquired phobia about the place.

Right after 9-11, I renovated my kitchen (which was in dire need of an upgrade) to distract myself from the attack. I used this company's products, hirng a contractor to rip out old cabinets and install all new sinks, cooktop, butcher-block countertops, cabinets with drawers and shelves, dishwasher, Insinkerator, the works. (The cabinets came from our 4-letter store; the appliances and sink came from Sears.) In their kitchen fixtures department, they have a great product for keeping butcher-block and other wooden countertops properly oiled. I guess that's what I miss the most--the wood oil.

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

EmilyMtr
Valued Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
204 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  8:52:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The nightmare furniture shop is $40 in Canada. All the shops in Canada would have to dry up before I take that one. And even then I'd have to think about it. 1 hr travel time, 2-3 hrs in the store then the report...ummm..that's way less than minimum wage here, which is $8 per hour...a definite 10 footer.
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:01:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just got back from walking my dogs and viewing the fireworks. Happy 4th of the July everyone! I had a perfectly deliciously evil thought . Why not, for an advanced certification, make it a requirement to do this four letter word shop. If you can survive this, and still want to MS afterwards, then why not be recognized for it!!!

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:17:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw it for $65 this month; it was not bonused.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums