Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:34:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like this idea, AmyK. Of course, I wonder if those who manage to shop them repeatedly get extra credit?

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  01:54:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

I saw it for $65 this month; it was not bonused.
What state are you in? Last summer they were $45 in my area. I think I have seen them for $50 or $55 recently. Not bonused. I'm not sure I've ever seen them bonused.

I sure do appreciate seeing everyone's responses because I have thought many times about taking one of these shops. The main reason I haven't is their rigid time frames. The time didn't work with the date. What if it had? Yikes!

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

Vonni
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  07:24:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
-any shop with a single digit fee (except for a couple of favorites that take 10 minutes tops, including the report)

-purchase and returns under $20 and/or not a same day return

-the dreaded competitor grocery shops with the ridiculously low fee that take FOREVER (even when you are familiar with the store)

-grocery shops that have a specific "in the store" time requirement as you stroll around with almost nothing in your cart

-dining shops with no fee offered and reimbursement too low to cover the meal

Yvonne
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

RuthHallows
Valued Contributor

Mesa, AZ
USA
117 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  8:00:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

I've done this shop three times and won't mind going back again. My daughter loves the childcare area. And the assignment is not too hard when my dh finds all the out of stock items for me.

That said, this store was one of my first shops and I almost pulled my hair out over the old guidelines. They were humorous, but much too long.

The pay is now 150% of the first time I took the assignment.

MSPA Gold Certified
Serving Mesa, Tempe, and Gilbert, AZ
Shopping Since 2001
Go to Top of Page

Kristi in VA
Valued Contributor

VA
USA
205 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  8:07:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mz.Paulette

OMG I did a furniture shop at a HUGE furniture retailer and it was incredibly tedious.
I haven't seen the furniture shop (I don't think we have any of those near me) but I actually enjoy the 100 item dept store audit. Maybe I'm strange, but I find it almost relaxing compared to some other shops because there is not scenario to remember, they know why I am there. No details to remember for the report. Just write down the info and plug in the items that were wrong. I was nervous the first time that I did one, but finished it in about 90 minutes and then the report only took about 15 minutes. Not bad for the fee paid. I take these whenever they come available and have them pretty much down to a science now. As long as I get an employee who knows what they are doing I can finish in a little over an hour (counting the 20 minutes or so it usually takes for them to find an employee available to walk around with me.

I think I'm a bit odd because I also love the vitamin store digital audits that several people have referred to as 10 foot pole shops. Oh well, more work for me!!

Kristi
Happily shopping her way towards being debt-free!
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  6:54:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kristi, I also love the vitamin digital audits and they disappear fast from the board.

I have never seen the 100 item store audits - sounds interesting.

>^..^< ::¤Connie¤::¤Gold Certified¤:: >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  7:06:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did a 100 item audit once. It was interesting, as are 99% of the shops I do. But I was working with staff who had never done it before, and it took nearly three hours. Fortunately, the online post-audit report took less than fifteen minutes.

If the pay was right, I'd do it again.

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

Mz.Paulette
Trainee

S. Florida
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  8:27:41 PM  Visit Mz.Paulette's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RuthHallows
I've done this shop three times and won't mind going back again. My daughter loves the childcare area. And the assignment is not too hard when my dh finds all the out of stock items for me.
My teenage son helped me to locate the out of stock items. It paid $55 but after the required meal purchase (unreimbursed) and the sheer volume of work involved it should clearly be a higher paying shop. Thankfully I got a 10 on my report which works for me. Maybe for 2x the fee I'd consider it again.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Carl25782
Contributor

The Woodlands, Texas
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  03:10:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vonni

-any shop with a single digit fee (except for a couple of favorites that take 10 minutes tops, including the report)

-purchase and returns under $20 and/or not a same day return

-the dreaded competitor grocery shops with the ridiculously low fee that take FOREVER (even when you are familiar with the store)

-grocery shops that have a specific "in the store" time requirement as you stroll around with almost nothing in your cart

-dining shops with no fee offered and reimbursement too low to cover the meal
That was basically my entire portfolio

I'll add that when you do the same shop month after month and all of the things you reported in the first month are still there in the second month (dirty windows, handwritten signage, etc...). It pays the same whether they correct it or not but you'd at least like to think that the mothership is reading your reports
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  05:25:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl25782
It pays the same whether they correct it or not but you'd at least like to think that the mothership is reading your reports

That's a funny way to put it!!!

My guess is they read the reports, but the lower management level may not care. If all they get is a slap on the wrist and nothing bad happens, why would they? After all, it may be what works for their customers.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  06:16:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Servanne
My guess is they read the reports, but the lower management level may not care. If all they get is a slap on the wrist and nothing bad happens, why would they? After all, it may be what works for their customers.
I agree. I have one shop where you have to buy something and see if the cashier offers you coffee. You then reveal yourself if they do and give them an award. You reveal yourself if they don't and have them sign something. I eat there almost every week, not shopping and not once have they asked me if I wanted coffee. I just don't think they care.
Go to Top of Page

DeeDee619

VA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  09:32:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also did a Dept store audit recently that required 100 different items also 3 hours. No Mas for me.

MzPaulette I totally agree with you on this shop. I would not do it again. This was the worst shop and then entering it in took forever.

DeeDee
Shopping in VA
Go to Top of Page

DeeDee619

VA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  09:37:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think I'm a bit odd because I also love the vitamin store digital audits that several people have referred to as 10 foot pole shops. Oh well, more work for me!!

Hey Kristi,

What part of VA are you in? I love these shops too but they go so quickly. Last month I answered the qualifying question wrong so I couldn't get any.

DeeDee
Shopping in VA
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:35:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vonni

Hey, wait a minute! If these are the shops by the company I think you are referring to, I grab as many as I can every month. The time requirement goes fast, the reimbursement helps me buy a lot of groceries (because I am a very careful shopper) and there are 4 of the stores very close to where I live and work, and a few more a little further out that I go to occasionally. I have to add that the company also pays very quickly!

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

Rachel B.
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:41:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love the vitamin audit too, but I haven't seen one since early April.

I like most of the grocery shops. I use a lot of coupons, so it goes far.

Rachel
Silver Certified pw4vpo
Go to Top of Page

Vonni
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  1:50:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdAora

Hey, wait a minute! If these are the shops by the company I think you are referring to, I grab as many as I can every month. The time requirement goes fast, the reimbursement helps me buy a lot of groceries (because I am a very careful shopper) and there are 4 of the stores very close to where I live and work, and a few more a little further out that I go to occasionally. I have to add that the company also pays very quickly!

AdAora
I am referring to the company you think I am, and I do love that they pay so quickly. Since this is not my regular grocery store, the time in store requirement seems like a lifetime to me. I usually only buy the required amount. So, sometimes I am just cruising around the store with very little in my basket. Although I have used the tactic of browsing around and putting things in my basket and then browsing around some more to put them back. That helps to tick some minutes off the clock.

I like the other shop types where you evaluate one specific part of the store and you can get in and out.

Yvonne
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  3:40:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:Originally posted by TinaMarie

I just got notice of the infamous furniture shop: Only $55 here.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  6:38:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This month is the first I've done grocery shops. There are 3 companies I know of and there is one grocer--the largest in the nation that I have yet to find. Regardless, of the 3, one I can't get to fast enough. It's gone the moment it hits. I picked up two recently, where you had to wander the store for 45 minutes and record lots of names. I actually liked that one--report was very easy and simple and I came away with a bunch of groceries and I actually like, in a perverse kind of way to wander aisles. I'm going to sign up for more if they are still there.

I did another today for an upscale grocer. Never again. The $10 reimbursement was ridiculous considering the prices of everyday items in this store. And I still had to come up with a BOB item. The form will require extensive narrative too and it's one of those--comment on every section and then repeat yourself from start to finish for an entire shop narrative. First time shopping for this company. I'll wait and see what else they have to offer. Live and learn.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  6:04:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would not shop Jenny Craig. Has anyone done them? Isn't it way too much work?

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  7:22:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did Jenny Craig. It was fun, lots to remember and lots of narratives. Also, they called me back a few times wanting me to sign up.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums