Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  7:37:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

I did Jenny Craig. It was fun, lots to remember and lots of narratives. Also, they called me back a few times wanting me to sign up.

You have confirmed why it's on my 10-foot pole list! Lots to remember, lots of narratives, and future solicitations.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  8:49:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShopperDee

I would not shop Jenny Craig. Has anyone done them? Isn't it way too much work?

I did a Jenny Craig right after my son was born. I told them he was a year old, instead of only a month old. Before I got pregnant I was 98 lbs, but I gained 54 lbs with him, so I figured I should make some money off all the extra weight!!

Happy to say that now I'm back down to 103 lbs (without Jenny Criag), but a bit sad that I can't do these shops anymore. I actually enjoyed it.

I haven't seen these shops for a while, so I wonder if they are even doing them.
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  12:57:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got accepted to do this shop quite a while ago, but when I saw what it entailed for $18, I bowed out. It looked like it was a $25-30 shop. I have backed out of only two or three shops in over three years, but this looked like way too much work for the pay.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

RissiLynn

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  7:49:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wont be doing restaurant shops anymore. They just arent worth it to me.
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  8:00:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
RissiLynn,

For me, it really depends on the restaurant. I've done some I like with such a high reimbursement that I can take one or two people, and we can get appetizers, entrees, drinks, and desserts!

I tried the fondue place once and was glad. I had never been there. Now I know I would never spend my own $ there! The prices were high, the portions small, and we had to cook our own food. Also had to order something from the bar, which I did not want to do, but it was a requirement.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

RissiLynn

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  8:08:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShopperDee

RissiLynn,

For me, it really depends on the restaurant. I've done some I like with such a high reimbursement that I can take one or two people, and we can get appetizers, entrees, drinks, and desserts!

I tried the fondue place once and was glad. I had never been there. Now I know I would never spend my own $ there! The prices were high, the portions small, and we had to cook our own food. Also had to order something from the bar, which I did not want to do, but it was a requirement.

Hi. The reason I said it wasnt worth it was because I did one yesterday. They offered a $10 bonus which after the tips and food ordered only came up to $6. The report was very long. It didnt save and I had to do it all over again. Plus I really need to stay away from that type of food. Any fast food makes my skin break out. So for myself, it wasnt worth it but for someone else, I might say go for it.

Now the bank shops. I love doing those. I just wish I could find more of them.
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  8:38:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love FF (easy report) and fine dining ($150 dinner? YES!!!). My 10' pole are casual dining, where I always go over the reimbursement and the reports rival fine dining; they are just my biggest headaches.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  5:18:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't do the dining ones as much either. Not because of the money, but because I can't find anyone to go with me. My husband hates eating out and since he's a really good cook he'd rather just make it himself. As someone whose best dish is a hard boiled egg, I'd eat out every day if possible.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  5:48:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did Jenny Craig a few years ago and NO I would not do another. Too much time involved and not enough money.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  5:52:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How much time was it? I'm just curious because mine was about 30 minutes and I had one follow up call. And if I recall it paid $30.00. The narratives weren't bad either. Maybe I did it with another company or they didn't do something right because I've had retail shops that lasted longer.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  5:55:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
PS I always think its funny how some of us have certain types of shops that we love and others would hate or the other way around. RissiLynn, I do a lot of bank shops too, but I don't really enjoy them that much. I think its neat that you do.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  04:53:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Jenny Craig fee was not $30. If I remember correctly, it was less than $20 & involved a lot of interviewing & forms. I just did not feel comfortable with it since I don't believe in their philosophy for weight loss; ie. buying the food etc. Just not my cup of tea. It was informative to go through the process to see how they sell their "stuff", but I can't say I enjoyed it. I never received any follow up, which I believe they were supposed to do!!!

It certainly wasn't the worst shop I've done, but I wouldn't choose another.

My favorites change like the wind. Depends on what I'm currently into & what's available. I'm starting to do some hotels & am excited about that. I'm on vacation in South Carolina, so I'm doing some retail shops at the outlets. The nice thing about this job is you never will get bored with the variety of choices. When I tire of a particular type of shop, I try something I've never done before. Then, later on I pick up the old stand bys to keep the $$ coming in. I haven't done a cell phone shop or ff in a few months. Overdosed on cells for a while. I do a lot of banks too, but pretty much for the $$. I don't particularly enjoy them. I've spent a lot of time at Newark Airport this summer. Now, that I enjoy!! A lot of people watching involved. Boy, do you see some strange sights.

Next week I'm back to school and the MSing will change to the school schedule again & less interesting shops. Off topic and rambling...sorry

Off to play golf this AM.

Happy shopping to all.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  06:03:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I too like airport shops. In fact I realized a long time ago that I like jobs that are inside somewhere really big - so I like malls, airports, hosptials. universities, etc. Anywhere where you can sit and watch people.

I think it comes from growing up in Florida and spending a lot time just sitting and watching the tourists. I use to sit at this pastry shop at Busch Gardens and sketch people. Or my friends and I would go to the beach and laugh at people who were swimming when it was only 65'F outside!!

I've noticed in MN that people that live here don't care about people watching. My husband has told me that he has no interest in others.

But back to Jenny Craig, yes I too don't agree with the buying the foods and all that, but other then after my kids were born I've never paid any attention to losing weight so I suppose I shouldn't have an opinion on it. I was just amazed that they told me at 5'2 and at 128 lbs they told me I needed to lose at least 17 lbs. That didn't seem right to me and I even asked my doctor about it, who said that 125 was about the perfect weight -so who knows where Jenny C gets their info.

In any case it was something different and I'll try almost any shop once.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  07:30:59 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RissiLynn

I wont be doing restaurant shops anymore. They just arent worth it to me.

You have to find the right ones. I did a few awhile back that gave a free meal, a gift card for the next visit and had minimal questions about the gift card, not the service or food. Some are very simple, some are well...Forget about it in my opinion. I don't want to work hard for fast food, that is for sure.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Catherine51

Tucson, AZ
USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  3:21:41 PM  Send Catherine51 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the ten-foot pole club ... timeshare shops! I did one of those 5 years ago; it was a bonus shop and I got $85. It was almost worth it. The shop took 2 1/2 hours to do and an hour to write up. Then a couple months ago I saw that they were down to $50 (!) and supposedly there was a "front desk shop" where you were supposed to put down that your income was UNDER the required amount ... and the idea was that the front desk people were supposed to NOT let you go into the presentation ... well I ended up going in anyway and the presentation and sales pitch (the salespeople were practically in tears begging me ... they almost gave me the timeshare!) took almost 3 hours. Took me an hour to write up, and it took a month before I actually found out I was going to be paid $50 for that shop. Phew! But I would never do another one ... unless they offer $150, I might just think about it!

Cathy
Tucson, AZ
MSPA Gold Certified
6500+ shops in 15 years and counting! Se Habla Espanol
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  3:32:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess the only upside, in your case, is you do get a free vacation.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine51

Tucson, AZ
USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  3:35:25 PM  Send Catherine51 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I gave away the vacation because I could not afford to get there (transportation not included). Also got a Disney weekend which I gave to a fellow shopper who has a young kid and who could not afford to go otherwise. (Wonder why I never thought of taking the vacations myself??)

Cathy
Tucson, AZ
MSPA Gold Certified
6500+ shops in 15 years and counting! Se Habla Espanol
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  10:54:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Catherine51, I just came back from a timeshare shop and loved it. My ten foot pole shops would be cell shops.

>^..^< ::¤Connie¤::¤Gold Certified¤:: >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

HelenBears

Toronto, Ontario
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  01:05:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh yes - I HATE cell phone shops - they pay so low and require a ton of observations! I only will do them if there is a bonus being paid.

I did a maternity shop quite a while ago, and had to pretend I was in the early stages of pregnancy, and I had to make a purchase. I actually stuffed my pants just a bit, to give myself a bit of a tummy. But I felt so awkward pretending to be pregnant (even though I do have a son, lol)... plus I felt that there were probably shoppers that might have needed this shop, that were really pregnant

Helen
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  12:54:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HelenBears

Oh yes - I HATE cell phone shops - they pay so low and require a ton of observations! I only will do them if there is a bonus being paid.

I did a maternity shop quite a while ago, and had to pretend I was in the early stages of pregnancy, and I had to make a purchase. I actually stuffed my pants just a bit, to give myself a bit of a tummy. But I felt so awkward pretending to be pregnant (even though I do have a son, lol)... plus I felt that there were probably shoppers that might have needed this shop, that were really pregnant

You don't have to go to that extreme to do a maternity shop. You can not "show" and still be 3 months (or less) pregnant.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums