Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Jennifer P
Star Contributor

NY
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  2:24:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't even have to stuff my pants... my youngest is 7 months old and I still look 6 months pregnant.

After my name-refusal debacle this past weekend,those electronics shops are now 10-foot pole shops. I did sooooo many cell phone shops over the winter for SNC that they are now on my no-no list too. Even though turnover rate is high in those places, I still found that months later and on different days/times I would run into salespeople that had helped me before. Good thing I am a master of disguise... muwahahaha

I don't mind dining shops where I go over the reimbursement, I see it as a huge discount off of the bill that I would normally pay anyway since hubby loves to eat out ALL the time.

I also love the kid-friendly restaurant that has about 5 locations "close" to me. The reimbursement just covers dinner for hubby, myself, and the 3 yo, and ice cream if we order from the specials menu. All we pay is the tip, and our daughter would eat at that restaurant every day if we let her. Plus, she is the best bathroom inspector ever, since she NEEDS to visit every bathroom in the country apparently...
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  3:17:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yep, and while she is there you can keep track of all the times she caused you to say, "Don't touch that--it's nasty!" for your report. It is amazing the dirt you see when your child is making a beeline for it, especially when they are at the age where the hands are constantly in the mouth.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

BeverBob
Valued Contributor

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  7:42:51 PM  Visit BeverBob's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not touching anything to do with Maritz...
they are the absolute worst in my book -

1. lack of understanding of circumstances beyond one's control
2. their website is nothing but clip-art and mostly non-functional
3. a very impersonal connection with field agents.
4. low pay, far too much paperwork, and too many contradictions.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer P
Star Contributor

NY
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  9:48:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is SO true Jnanne. She is constantly chewing on her fingernails and just about everything else, so bathrooms are a big problem for me; I think I may be a bit of a germ freak, lol.

She is great for taking on gas station routes though, we've got it down to a science. She helps me take my "super-secret spy pictures" of the bathroom and we don't talk about how gross it was until AFTER we get to the car.

She also likes that at about half of the stations I let her pick out the snack we buy.

10 Foot Pole shops for when I have my kids with me: any store where I have to use the fitting room, although they are getting better at that...
Go to Top of Page

Joan Farley Nyobe

Bowie, Maryland
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  02:13:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will not do shops that I have to purchase exactly 5 things and return them in the same day. fraud alert on my credit card would be all over me.

Joan Nyobe
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  6:50:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joan Farley Nyobe

I will not do shops that I have to purchase exactly 5 things and return them in the same day. fraud alert on my credit card would be all over me.

Joan, I saw those shops too and I can't figure out how those can be done without triggering a fraud alert especially when you have to make a large purchase in each department. Maybe the goal is to cause such an alert and see how the store responds. Not my idea of fun. No amount of pay is worth that stress and I'm relatively thick skinned.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Val AC
Valued Contributor

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:06:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think I know what shops you are talking about requiring the 5 purchases. Aren't you also supposed to visit 5 separate departments (excluding cosmetics) of the same store to make these purchases? I've never shopped in 5 different departments of any store, let alone buy something at each stop and make up a crazy story about why you don't have your credit card with you and then lug those purchases all over, then back to the 5 departments for the return.

It would be a wonder that you didn't alert security.
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  2:13:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The shops I have done requiring a purchase at each register in different departments was four stops in a nice department store.

The one shop I did buying the five items, interacting with an employee in a number of departments, and purchasing all items at one register was five items -- including the item that was too big for the cart. It was a discount department store.

The first scenario I have done twice and would do again. The second I might do if it were nicely bonused, otherwise, it's on my 10-foot list. Both shops are purchase and return and are with different MSCs.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  8:26:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The shop in question is for a large department store and it's not a discount store. The purchases must be done in 5 different departments excluding cosmetics. If I remember correctly, the purchases must be a minimum of $50 each.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:28:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do you mean Macy's?

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

RissiLynn

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  8:38:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am doing shops now for a popular gym and after I am finished doing the ones I signed up for, I will never do them again.

I call ahead of time to make sute that there will be someone there than I need to speak to and they said someone would be there. I go there, which took me forever to get to and no one was there. This will be my last time doing them.
Go to Top of Page

John MrBeth
Valued Contributor

Mount Laurel, NJ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  8:24:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Been shopping for over 3 years....shops that are on my 10' pole list:
1. Gas Stations where you purchase $5 of gas....at today's prices?
2. Gas stations where you have to purchase another item and there's nothing to buy.
3. Donut shops
4. Motorcycle shops-rude sales people
5. Shops that are less than $10....who can move their car out of the garage for less?

The list of shops that I like....endless

John
Southern NJ
Professional Couple
Both Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  4:12:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My motorcycle shopping days are over--just not my cup of tea--but I always had good luck with the sales people. The fact that they were usually gorgeous looking hunks with strong muscles and great physiques added to my enjoyment.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Joyce1947
Valued Contributor

Bourne, MA
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  5:40:25 PM  Send Joyce1947 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Amy, where are you shopping? I usually get the bald guy, with the pot belly and all the tats:~) There is one not far from my house that I do only when it is highly bonused. I don't fit the profile except that I am a HD owner and faxed the registration for mine to prove to the scheduler that I could "walk the walk and talk the talk". I love the clothing shops for this brand and the parts and accessories shop for the brand are nice too. Again, only when highly bonused.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  8:57:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL - Joyce - Amy is in Marin County. Everyone looks nice up there. If you don't, you don't get to stay. You have to move to my town instead.

I will never, ever, ever do a "difficult customer" shop again. It's just not worth it. You have to act like a jerk, make everyone angry, maybe get thrown out of the store - maybe even have the cops called.

Not me, boy! NEVER AGAIN!

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Vita

Los Angeles, CA
USA
47 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  12:16:09 AM  Send Vita an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with the gym shops. I did a gym shop and the guy was so pushy I felt trapped. Then he started to make me feel guilty by saying I would look better toned. Yes, that may be true but I am like a size 2 so honestly I think I am fine. Anyway, no more of gym visits for me.

Vita
Go to Top of Page

Joyce1947
Valued Contributor

Bourne, MA
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  05:20:26 AM  Send Joyce1947 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, I've NEVER seen the difficult customer shop, but I certainly don't want to do that....let's face it people are too weird as it is. I mean, with my luck the sales rep would be "packing" and THAT'S the end og my mystery shopping career

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  05:36:40 AM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't do the gas station shops. Taking all those pictures & then buying $5 worth of gas? Who buys $5 worth of gas now? It's just not worth it in my book.

I also don't like the ones where you HAVE to return the item.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  07:39:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think maybe they stopped them after the clerk came after me with the bat. And I was GOOD at this shop, too... Lately, the shops where you have to return something are as difficult as I've seen.

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

EliseWeav
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
528 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  07:42:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SueMontagne

I will never, ever, ever do a "difficult customer" shop again. It's just not worth it. You have to act like a jerk, make everyone angry, maybe get thrown out of the store - maybe even have the cops called.

Sue,
My bother-in-law was working as a manager in a discount department store when Filene's sent in a 'difficult shopper' to tear him up to see how he dealt with it. He did a good job and Filene's offered him a department manager position in their store--for more money. He's now at Kohl's but was with Filene's, then Macy's for a long time. So, something positive may come out of these shops. I don't think it's a shop I would be very good at, or, want to do! I'm not very good at being difficult.

Elise
Boston area, especially North Shore. Silver certified and shopping since 2004.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums