Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

.Marina_lbcc
Inactive

CA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  10:28:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hated doing the pet shops that reimburse you $2.
I refude to do service for a company that started asking for several(not 1 or 2) narratives with a MINIMUM of 850 characters, while they pay you a fee of $6.
I love doing the dine-in/drive-thru jobs, but only when there's a bonus added to the normal fee.
I've never done a bank shop but I would like to do one.

Marina
Go to Top of Page

DustinCochran

Westerville, Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  04:45:07 AM  Send DustinCochran an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember last year doing some of the fast food shops that required purchasing of the chicken sandwich and ONLY the chicken sandwich. It was my first time accepting these shops, therefore I didn't know about the strict requirements! Rest assured you get really tired of having 35 chicken sandwiches over a 2 week span! I ran out of people to GIVE them too! I ended up giving a couple to homeless people! And having to store 35 of the large prize boxes in my small college apartment wasn't any treat either!
Go to Top of Page

.Marina
Inactive

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  06:07:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was a survey job, they type I'm really familiar with and close to my house, this why I accepted it for much less what I usually receive from other companies.
The part what I hated the most is after spending 2 full days at the site that I had to enter all 50 surveys on the web. Each survey was about 30 pages and 40+ questions.
No, never again.

Marina
Go to Top of Page

Carol Spruiell
Apprentice

Dallas, TX
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  08:12:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You guys haven't mentioned those wonder pizza photo shops! The ones that, hardly pay and, if you don't get 100% absolutely right, you are stuck not only with no pay but also with a bill for two very cold, very manhandled pizzas.

At least they are raising the pay and lowering the number of pizzas to buy.

Shopping North Central Texas
Go to Top of Page

Patti
Apprentice

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  01:48:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't ever do another:
Fitness shop.
Shop 10-12 people for practically no money. (Dept. Store)
Grocery store (for the same reason-and the stupid questions you have to ask).
Anything for Positive Approach.

Oh, and I LOVE the bank shops! I could do them all day.
They pay well and are a breeze!

-Patti (Shopping Middle Tennessee)
Go to Top of Page

TSA_Sarah
Valued Contributor

Arkansas
USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  09:09:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't think the pizza shops are so bad. It's quick and easy and I don't have to cook dinner or do dishes. However, I usually only do them if they have a bonus attached or we are planning on having pizza anyway.

Sarah
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

A_Green

Oklahoma
USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  10:16:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have only been doing this for about 3 months, and haven't been offered anything other than FF shops (reimbursed, with a small fee) - but my hubby and I love those! We generally can't afford to eat out unless we save change for a couple of weeks, so it's a nice treat for us. I keep hoping for a casual dining shop, since we usually only get to do that for our anniversary or birthdays.

So far, my philosophy is I'll try anything once. After hearing some of your nightmare stories, I'm beginning to rethink that...but for now, I'll just have fun with MSing!

A. Green

Shopping Texoma (Madill, Kingston, Tishomingo, Ardmore, Durant, OK and Sherman/Denison, TX) since May, 2003
Go to Top of Page

ShAndrews
Inactive

Inland Empire, California
USA
480 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  11:06:34 AM  Send ShAndrews an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I must be in the minority here, but I love apartment shops! I happen to live in an area that has thousands of apartment complexes, so I don't have to drive far and I can usually complete them on my lunch hour. And I like making the $20-$40 each shop!

I don't do anymore:

-Reimbursement only
-Purchase and Return (I'm sorry, but that is two shops as far as I'm concerned!)
-Drive-Thru & Dine-In FF (I only choose the ones that only have a drive-thru or dine-in, not both)
-Car dealerships or timeshares (never actually did one of these, but who needs all that pressure? Plus on the timeshares you have to return the goodies!)

See you guys at Long Beach, CA Gold

Shannon R. Andrews
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Inland Empire, Southern California
Go to Top of Page

.LeanneBug
Inactive

Gulf Breeze, FL
USA
84 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  11:19:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I must be another odd duck, because I love the apartment shops, car dealers, and bank shops!!

The scenarios are easy to follow, the reports allow me to write as much as I want (no restrictions to 800 characters.. ARGG) and I can zip around town hitting several in an afternoon.

The FF shops are part of my "I never want to do another unless they pay me outrageous fees" list. I did TOO many early last year, while getting my feet wet. All the teeny tiny details, and limits on narratives are not worth the pennies offered in pay. Great company though, and my scheduler is a doll.

Other than that, I'm game for just about anything once

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Leigh

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  8:10:07 PM  Send Leigh an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't do the FF either, unless it is a one stop shop. I don't like drive-thru and inside; I feel too obvious, plus the observations are ridiculous for the fee, especially when you have a family that eats only plain food!
I won't do the "famous kitchen sink shop" or the "carry around a large item in the store waiting for someone to offer you a basket shop."
I like some apt shops, but not the one that you have to print out the 22 pages, hand write it and fax it back.
Go to Top of Page

Dusti
Contributor

New York
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  10:03:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I enjoy doing apartments and car dealerships. I'm able to write as much as I want too.

MSPA Silver syxqhh
mystery shopping & merchandising in Nassau County & Suffolk County New York
Go to Top of Page

Mark22b

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:05:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't do the timeshare shops. You would be better off going as a interested customer, than a mystery shopper. Plus, you wouldn't have to right a report.

Fitness shops are terrible. I spent over two hours in one location. The tour took 30 minutes. I finally told the saleperson that he had ruined my whole day and walked out. I'm not normally that type of person, but had to get out of there. Never again on these.

Mark
Silver Certified shopper #pvgsrz
Go to Top of Page

NancyRC

Tampa, FL
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  5:11:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I LOVE the pizza shops. I've got them down to a science. I carry a sharpie and breakaway knife in my camera case. Pizza is incredibly durable. (Surely it is used in military field rations...) And, pizza is life in my house. Hot, cold, breakfast, whatever. Maybe it's a throwback from college....

Nancy R. Curtis
MSPA Gold Certification xgdhat
MSSIC: nancyrcurtis
"Another day, another adventure!"
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  1:18:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heather, I agree with you about the shower/shop/eat deal. The fee is fair, the form fairly simple, and the reimbursements allow you to purchase what you want. The shower is actually no big deal. I have developed a personality who travels from Florida (driving all night) to visit son/daugher-in-law and doesn't want to arrive looking messy. Sometimes I even buy a "kid item" at the shower counter for that part of shop as a little happy for the nonexistent grandchildren. In the Mississippi heat, all I have to do is work the shop first thing in the morning and drive in looking grubby. I can put on my makeup, curl hair, write notes while in shower area and come out looking much better. So when they ask about the shower I can truthfully say "Very refreshing."
Go to Top of Page

JasonTX

Pensacola, FL
USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  1:29:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
About the shower shops: I finally had an opportunity to take one of these and I just could not bring myself to do it. Too many "truck stop stereotypes" floating around in my head.

Shopping Pensacola, FL and surrounding areas
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Karen0224

Painesville, OH
USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  7:03:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for all the advice and laughs!! I guess I'll stay away from home improvements BUT I have a FF shop scheduled for this week! I didn't think much of it while I was testing to be able to do it, but when I printed off the audit form I nearly fell over! I'll have to watch for an office supply shop to buy more paper! I'm going an oil change shop so I figured I'd have lunch down the street. The oil change pays a fee and full reimbursement. The report looks easy too!

Thanks for the advice!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

MaryAnne in VA

VA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  04:27:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I no longer do restaurant shops (except a drive through shop because I love the malts). When I first started to MS those were the only shops I would get, happy for the experience I took them, but then I noticed that my waist line also expanded. Seeing the corelation I decided to stop.

MaryAnne
Go to Top of Page

JJinNWIN
Contributor

Wheatfield, IN
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  04:49:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It only took filing the report for one FF shop to make me decide never again. An hour filing a report is ridiculous. And who, other than a shopper, would go through a drive thru then go inside to eat? In the one I did, the store was so small, I was the only customer in the dine in or drive thru the entire time I was there. Think they noticed? Especially since the same lady waited on me inside and out. Geez......

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Karen0224

Painesville, OH
USA
24 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  7:15:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just have to share....I got an email offering me the home improvement store shop. If it wasn't for this thread I might have jumped at it. Instead I asked for more information about what was required. I haven't gotten a response yet.

I did my first and last FF shop today. How are you supposed to remember everything your required to report on? I jotted down a few things while I was in my car waiting for the drive-thru but what are you supposed to do inside? How do you remember 4 times, down to the second, and the name and description of everyone who helped you??? To make matters worse, I was unable to get a receipt in the drive-thru even after asking twice and what I ordered inside wasn't an option on the report! Not worth the stress...lol

Karen
Go to Top of Page

AmberHolly

Tampa, FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  10:20:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The shops on my list of "Not even if you handed me a blank check" are

1) Car dealership shops: The second shop my hubby and I did was a car dealership. It paid $30. We were told it would take about 90 minutes but we were wiling to do it for the $30.00. The sales guy was so pushy that we ended up there for a FULL 3 hours-the place was closed and we were still there! We were allowed to bring our daughter with us so to save on babysitting she came along. The guy finally 'released' us from his death grip when our daughter started to have a tanturm on his floor. We usually do not put up with such behavior but this time we were all smiles. When we finally escaped to our car we gave her a lollipop. We were THAT relieved to get out of there! She will never again get a lollipop for bad behavior and we will never do a car shop again.
2)Timeshares
3)Thanks to this the warnings of this fourm- a certain home improvement store
4)Never done a FF shop-I was actual dying to do one at first. Now that I have read this forum I think not.(Well, maybe once in a while)
5) Never have wanted to do a fitness shop

On the other hand I LOVE apartment shops! I find them to be great paying, easy to do and enjoyable. I love getting decorating ideas from all the furnished models I look at. Reaching the target can be hard sometimes but not bad enough to bother me. Apartment shops are probably one of my favorites!

Having a blast shopping Tampa, Brandon, Temple Terrace, Lutz, Orlando and Wesley Chapel.
Watch out Florida - here I come!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums