Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  08:52:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellen Christian
Taking all those pictures & then buying $5 worth of gas?
Where are those shops? The ones I see, they only reimburse for $1 worth of gas!

I think I only have one type of gas station on my "never again" list. That would be the one with the green logo that looks like a sun, it originally comes from Britain. Anyways, I had signed up for a few of those way back, and I despised doing them so much...Not only were they super detailed, but they also took forever as I needed to reference to the manual constantly. Maybe with experience they get better, but I swore never to take one again!

Now of course there are many, many shops to which I've said never again only to accept one soon thereafter due to an attractive fee, the fact that after looking back it really wasn't that bad, or simply more experience on my part.
Well even with a hefty bonus I have never taken that gas shop again! (yep, it was that bad!)

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

PennyT
Contributor

CA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  07:39:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have just finished my first ten foot pole shop. I was to go to a department store and replace the credit card applications. I was to go to each register and ask or take the old applications and then give them 15 new ones. I was supposed to dispose of the old one in an external dumpster and leave. When I arrived at the store the manager told me, "Do you know that each of these applications are in an individual envelop and we just stuffed every old application we had yesterday. The registers were very busy and many were unmanned. I put the applications in a shopping cart and moved toward the front registers. I really did not know how I was supposed to get the old applications from registered that were empty. I approached an employee and asked her what I should do. This wonderful person offered to help me. One of the registers we went to had at least 500 applications that needed unstuffed. I ended up with a shopping cart FULL of old applications. When it came time to dispose of the applications they did not have an exterior dumpster, and I had the wait for someone that was dumpster certified to help me. This assignment took over an hour with two people working as fast as they could. I try not to think how long it would have taken with out my awesome store helper. The amount I was paid for this job was humiliating.

Penny in NorCal
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  10:36:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Penny, if you read through that msc's voliton posts, you'll find that a number of shoppers did it last quarter and decided it was definitely a 10' pole. When I did it last time, I had to rip all the forms manually. I was lucky that the cashiers kept the form and envelope separate and the unmanned ones was faster since I was allowed to go into the drawer to swap. I stayed away from it when I saw them posted last week, but it was picked up quickly by another shopper. Good luck to whomever did the store with 36 registers.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  12:24:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"Dumpster certified", now that is amusing. I would never do this job.
Go to Top of Page

Heather Burnette2
Star Contributor

Spring Hope, NC
USA
340 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  1:46:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
for 10 bucks might I add!
I did one today. paperwork said no more than 20 minutes. LOL
can someone please answer a question for me?
for the company this job is with do you still have to mail in your invoice??

Burnette
Go to Top of Page

PennyT
Contributor

CA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  2:09:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I entered my report and went to the new submit an invoice feature. It wanted me to upload a receipt. I do not know what they want uploaded for this job. I contacted them though the message center and I have not heard back yet. I hope I do not have to sent in the signed debrief form. I did not get it signed! In the trauma of this job and the relief when the "certified" dumpster operator finally came, I forgot. I did remember the name of the LOD and entered that on the report. I am suffering from mental anguish as a result of this job. Last night I dreamed over and over of an ecstatic lady wearing a silver metallic blouse and a white skirt. She was kicking up her heels and pushing around a red shopping cart filled with empty gift boxes. I believe she was taunting me. BTW she is the same lady I saw many thousands of times on the credit card application envelopes.

Penny in NorCal
Go to Top of Page

Heather Burnette2
Star Contributor

Spring Hope, NC
USA
340 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  2:29:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Penny who is going to do these next time?? we sure aren't!
when asked to upload a receipt I scanned the top half of page 1 and the bottom half of page 2 on one sheet. I doubt that is what they wanted but I had another company that did want it that way!! and would send it back if it wasn't that way.

Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  3:25:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did mine yesterday. 3rd or 4th time at this store, and every time before I said "never again!"
In and out within an hour. 26 registers. Asked someone to call a manager as I headed toward the dumpster, and got my signature as she unlocked the dumpster door.

Much easier this time than last. In the past we had to distribute agreements AND folders, and before that also the card packs.

I uploaded the signature page for my receipt. Hope that works.
Go to Top of Page

BrendaP
Trainee

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  5:10:57 PM  Send BrendaP an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mine are:
1. Spend 30 min in clothes store, memorize the #under the bar code of an item, enter mid length report, shop 2 associates, get $10 (unless bonused)
2. go to movies, count advertisements, enter report online & fax report, get $10 (dont have a fax, so it cost me $8 to send all pages)
3. tabacco shops (don't smoke, cant get rid of 'em, not worth the money/drive to just throw them away)
4. alcohol shops where you have to try to buy after last call at a gas station or convenience store (2am in CA), not safe at all, need my sleep!
5. loss prevention shop, buy 5 items, go to different departments and count a certain number of items, spend like an hr in the store.
6. purchase/return shops, unless I am going to be in the area.
I would love to do a bra shop!
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  6:27:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Brenda -
You'll be able to buy a fax soon for $19.99. It's be slow, but it's a lot less expensive than a buck (or two) per page.

I only know this because I just got Xmas POP for my office stores that is selling a Brother "Personal" fax. It's roughly half the size of a toaster . Even NOT on sale, they're only about $25.

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  04:01:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can also get an electronic fax that will allow you to scan and then fax from your computer. Don't know the cost. It is a feature built into the newest of our computers.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

CarolynV
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
255 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  3:08:45 PM  Visit CarolynV's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live in a rural area with no landline phone and use an email fax service-1000 pages per month for $12.95 per month. It works great and saves a lot of time and a lot of gas since the nearest town of any size is 20 miles away.

Carolyn
Gold certified MSPA shopper in Oklahoma
Go to Top of Page

Madge Shawver
Star Contributor

PA
USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  3:20:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PennyT

I have just finished my first ten foot pole shop. I was to go to a department store and replace the credit card applications. I was to go to each register and ask or take the old applications and then give them 15 new ones. I was supposed to dispose of the old one in an external dumpster and leave. When I arrived at the store the manager told me, "Do you know that each of these applications are in an individual envelop and we just stuffed every old application we had yesterday. The registers were very busy and many were unmanned. I put the applications in a shopping cart and moved toward the front registers. I really did not know how I was supposed to get the old applications from registered that were empty. I approached an employee and asked her what I should do. This wonderful person offered to help me. One of the registers we went to had at least 500 applications that needed unstuffed. I ended up with a shopping cart FULL of old applications. When it came time to dispose of the applications they did not have an exterior dumpster, and I had the wait for someone that was dumpster certified to help me. This assignment took over an hour with two people working as fast as they could. I try not to think how long it would have taken with out my awesome store helper. The amount I was paid for this job was humiliating.

I am so GLAD I asked about these jobs and didn't sign up for them! WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much work for a measly $10

Madge
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  1:01:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would have to say the audits that highlight that they are FUN in the subject line, and then in the instructions says one to three hours. I hardly define that as FUN.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

Jen in Raleigh

Raleigh, NC
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  2:46:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yeah, when you are completing a "fun" ice cream store audit for 1-3 hours, it doesn't mean you will spend the time taste-testing to see if the Vanilla is fresher than the Chocolate, or if there are enough marshmallows in the Rocky Road.

Audits are generally tough and very detailed--that's why you get paid the BIG BUCKS ($25+/-) . Some I actually enjoy, but I don't think the word "fun" has ever jumped into my head at the time...
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  5:58:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some audits ARE fun! I ALWAYS have fun when I know I get to report that some doofus offered me fifteen free things and tried NOT to make some of his paperwork available.

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  7:44:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I swear, Sue, you get to do the most entertaining shops. Sex, bribes and drugs. My shops are boring in comparison!!! I find audits fun only because they provide a change of pace from mystery shops. I usually get along with the staff and enjoy smoozing with them. Can't say I earn more money since I usually take longer doing the shop.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Joyce in Maine
Valued Contributor

Maine
USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  7:44:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Count me as one of the "studpid" people that did the department store with the credit applications this week. I was in a smaller store and it took me an hour an 10 minutes. The manager was very nice, and I did have a nice cashier that came over and helped. I will never do that one again. I don't understand why they don't send the boxes to the store and have the manager make sure they are changed out. Warning to others -- do not do this shop - as someone said the job is terrible and the pay is unbelieveable.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  8:12:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Amy, no - some OTHER Sue got the sex shops. The last time I went to such a store, I got my daughter out of it. She'll be 30 in February.

I think I get entertaining shops because there really IS entertainment everywhere you look.

Like the oh-so-upper-crust, ever-so-perfect-and-proper Cartier shop with the tea and the cookies and linen napkins, where this big burly guard had his arms crossed and was making a fierce face clearly intended to intimidate, but his zipper was unzipped and his peek-a-boo was - well - um - peeking. Every time the sales associate tried to show me a new watch, I'd glance at the guard and burst into gales of giggles. I'm too old to be silly like this, but the contrast was excruciatingly hilarious.

But whatever else happens in my life, I will NOT end up some old lady who sits around boring friends and family to tears with endless commentary about who died, who had a nice funeral, who needs knee or hip replacement, who has dementia, or how much my back/butt/neck/hands/whatever is hurting today.

We all know them, right? Would you rather be with someone who's focused on the negative, or someone who makes you laugh?

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  09:10:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue,

Don't ever leave this forum! I need your inspiration & love your zest for life.

Thanks for sharing and making us laugh.

I also can find humor in the simplest of situations, so I appreciate your posts tremendously.

New 10 foot pole shop: The upscale, 4 department, purchase & return that used to be simple and painless.. No more returns the same day...No more returns at the same register...NO THANKS

Judi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums