Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  09:27:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsJudi

Sue, Don't ever leave this forum! I need your inspiration & love your zest for life. Thanks for sharing and making us laugh. I also can find humor in the simplest of situations, so I appreciate your posts tremendously.

New 10 foot pole shop: The upscale, 4 department, purchase & return that used to be simple and painless.. No more returns the same day...No more returns at the same register...NO THANKS

Thanks, Judi. My Dad always used to say that the laughter of a loved one was the sweetest music in this world or the next. But I had good role models. My grandmother died while dancing at a party. At 106, and she was robbing the proverbial cradle - flirting with an 85-year-old kid. Indeed! Humph!

I wish I knew why it is that companies think they can continue to pay the same $10 for shops that they paid $10 for five years ago, even while changing the requirements. Then they expect high-quality reports? What's up with this?

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Pat A
Star Contributor

Gulf Breeze, Florida
USA
273 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  12:32:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, I love your posts as well.

Your grandmother sounds like a hoot, she was a "cougar" before her time. She sounds amazing.

Happily shopping the Pensacola, Destin area and all of the beautiful Emerald Coast of Florida.
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

INJohn
Contributor

IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  7:30:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue,

I'm fairly new to this forum, but I thoroughly enjoyed your stories as well. I agree that entertainment is EVERYWHERE. One only has to look for it. Whether it's an open zipper or a simple facial expression, I try to find humor in Every Single Day. There is no other way to live.

Thank you for brighening my day.

John

John
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  12:37:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Aw, shucks, guys... I don't know how it works, but people always seem to pop up and make me feel better when I'm feeling down. I was thinking of my first husband today, and wondering how my life might have been different if he'd survived the Vietnam war. We were third-grade sweethearts, got married right out of high school, and I still miss him every day.

But y'all are part of my extended family. Thanks for being that! And keep watching for the funny stuff. It's there. It's ALWAYS there!

I was sitting outside work one day twinkling my toes and wondering if I would EVER get a promotion, and watched a bird fly smack into the plate glass window. Bad luck for him, I guess - the window was only about a foot wide. Anyway, I picked him up and he was only stunned, so I placed him gently in a handy bush so he could recover without being eating by cats, and out comes my boss (whom we all affectionately called "Humpty-Dumb")with a question about some silly thing. One thing led to another, and he asked me to "prove" I could be trusted with sensitive information.

Considering how ridiculously public this "sensitive" information was, I thought the question was pretty stupid, but typical of this guy, and he did sign my paycheck, so I played along. I put my finger on my lips and made little cooing noises and snd reached back into the push and picked up the bird, who was still stunned, but sat quietly in my hand.

I showed him to my idiot boss and said, "See? HE trusts me!"

This was a total non-sequiter, but HD thought it was great, and to this day is still talking about how I can tame wild birds.

Just goes to prove that even when we see something with our own eyes, what we see or hear may not be real. It's all in how we interpret events. Might as well filter it through "Funny" and be entertained, right?

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  6:37:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:

New 10 foot pole shop: The upscale, 4 department, purchase & return that used to be simple and painless.. No more returns the same day...No more returns at the same register...NO THANKS

I don't mind those at all, as I usually do my return at a different mall; there are 4 within 20 miles of my home.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  10:22:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

quote:

I don't mind those at all, as I usually do my return at a different mall; there are 4 within 20 miles of my home.

True Tina, but how common is that for MOST shoppers?

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  2:52:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Reading all these comments about laughter reminded me of a suggestion I heard many years ago. Each person should make up a "laugh box" and in the box put things that you think are funny, absurd, anything and everything that lifts your spirits. When you are having a day when you need a pick-me-up, get out the box. I have one and in it I have some hysterical cartoons and jokes that I laugh out loud at each time I read them. I have really cute little animal pictures and I have some whimsical things that tickle my funny bone. Try it, it works.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Maureen5360
Star Contributor

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  7:33:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My newest 10-foot pole shop is never again to do a platform bank shop for a company that stiffed me on yet another fee. I don't take a hit like that happily.
Go to Top of Page

BKBerger
Valued Contributor

Porterville, CA
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  11:12:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I read all 31 pages. Many laughs and things to watch for. I agree that the FF shops are to be avoided. Less than $10 and YOU HAVE TO BE ALONE. uhhhh, how many people really eat alone at these places in Drive thru and inside.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Vonni
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  07:41:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My ten foot pole shops vary from week to week. Here's my current list.

-the one particular grocery shop where you have to check several departments, interact with an employee, count how many employees greet you and describe them, keep track of your checkout time, etc... all for too low a fee and a small reimbursement

-the bowling shop which pays a single digit fee and the report is way too long (I get several emails each day for those, apparently they are on several people's ten foot pole list)

-the famous electronic shops, which are dues for the "fun shops" (I need a break from those for awhile)

-pretty much any shop that pays less than $15

-pretty much any shop from the $5 MSC

I've never done a fast food shop, and based on the posts, I doubt I ever will.

Yvonne
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Aimee G
Star Contributor

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  08:35:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I would have to say the audits that highlight that they are FUN in the subject line, and then in the instructions says one to three hours. I hardly define that as FUN.

I am coming up on my one-year anniversary of shopping. One thing I have clearly discovered is that the bigger the font they use to write the word FUN, and the more exclamation points they tack on behind it, the bigger the pill that shop is likely to be and the smaller the paycheck attached.

Aimee
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  08:38:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done that FUN ice-cream audit. Pay works out to less than minimum wage, and you don't even get to taste the ice cream.

My only benefit from that was making friends with the employees, and finding out one of them works in my favorite Japanese restaurant. He takes good care of me now when he sees me.

I'll never tell him I'm not ever doing that job again...
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:01:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT

quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

quote:

True Tina, but how common is that for MOST shoppers?

Well, I self-assigned 3 last week, then had to cancel them when I read the new guidelines!

I'm sure they weren't happy, but NEITHER WAS I.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:07:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maureen5360

My newest 10-foot pole shop is never again to do a platform bank shop for a company that stiffed me on yet another fee. I don't take a hit like that happily.

So we don't make the same mistake, and because I do platform shops, please, what company stiffed you and why?

Thanks in advance!

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  12:11:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vonni

My ten foot pole shops vary from week to week. Here's my current list.

-the bowling shop which pays a single digit fee and the report is way too long (I get several emails each day for those, apparently they are on several people's ten foot pole list)

If you mean Kinesis, I like those shops. They pay little, but reimburse for everything for 2 people. The form is emblazoned into my brain. I skim over the guidelines for changes just in case, but I love the shops. Is that what you mean?

Or the other MSC, whose name I forget, who shops a different bowling client? I have never done them, but it's ONLY reimbursement -- and only if you spend at least a certain amount. I've never shopped them. Don't plan to, either.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

AnitaTNShopper
Star Contributor

Nashville, TN
USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  6:11:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The bowling shops are my favorite, I have completed them twice and the form takes less than 30 minutes to complete. There are only two sets of 5 sentence narratives. Perhaps there is some other bowling shop out there that I am unaware of.

MSPA Gold Certified 2006
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  07:11:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, Yes Inquireing minds want to know which company stiffed a shopper on a platform shop assignment and what reason they gave.

I do a ton of those for at least 6 companies.

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

CarolynV
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
255 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  07:22:51 AM  Visit CarolynV's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
re post above:actally I do eat alone.I am a dovorced MILF with no kids at home now. I live in a rural area so it is hard for me to meet people. I am far from th eonly one who eats alone regularly at restaurants and ff places. On any given day you willsee people by themselves. I am comfortable being by myself. I feel sorry for people who always have to be with someone else in restaurants( or anywhere else n public frankly).I always have somethng to keep me busy for dine ins, although they are far from my favorite shops.

Carolyn
Gold certified MSPA shopper in Oklahoma
Go to Top of Page

Vonni
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  07:32:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did a few of the bowling shops when I was a real newbie. Maybe that's why the report seemed so bad to me. It was a great mom and daughter outing, but the report details worried me the whole time.

With two years of shopping under my belt, maybe the report won't seem so bad now. It still falls under the single digit shop fee category on my ten foot pole list, though. Maybe if the fee goes up some, I'll consider it again.

It just seems that they are not being snapped up in my area based on the number of offers that I get everyday. For now anyway, they are still on my ten foot pole list.

Yvonne
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  1:21:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Vonni - you still didn't say what MSC stiffed you. Please do.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums