Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Sally

South Carolina
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  1:16:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh gosh-I didn't intend to scare you!
I have not performed the audit, but word in this thread is that it's quite tedious.
Check back several pages.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

TammiT
Contributor

Paramus, New Jersey
USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  05:21:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sally

Oh gosh-I didn't intend to scare you!
I have not performed the audit, but word in this thread is that it's quite tedious.
Check back several pages.
Well I performed one last night. The actual audit took around two hours (yeah I was have TONS of fun )...but I had really no problems with the audit. The problem was with the REPORT. It took hours to label the pictures, match them to the correct sections AND upload all the pictures to match all non-compliant issues. With every minute spent on the report...the pay worked out to below minimum wage per hour .

So thanks I had a ton fun working for slave labor wages . Oh and I would like to add, the owner offered free ice cream before I left - the ice cream was all melted on the top because the freezer was warmer than specificied. Blech! no thanks.

Yeah, now I will also consider this a no-touch with a 10-foot pole.

Tammi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Vita

Los Angeles, CA
USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  06:42:55 AM  Send Vita an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Tammi I did the same audit and never again will I do another one of those. It took me forever to upload all the pictures and organize everything.
My number one no no shop is one I did yesterday. It is a Mexican "department store." I did not realize how extensive it would be. You are supposed to evaluate 4 departments plus a return. Ignorantly since it was near my route I picked it up. I thought it would not take more then a half hour. I was very wrong. It took me about twenty minutes to track down every employee. It is impossible to do that shop in less then two hours. It was so hot inside the store and it had the loudest mariachi music. Never again. Never again. And two hours of running around the store for 15 dollars plus a half hour report. No thanks.

Vita
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  11:31:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just did the "fun" ice cream audit. After I got there, I struggled to identify the fun especially when the owner refused initially to let me do the audit and was screaming at me at the top of his lungs. It turns out he thought I was from City Hall. He was very apologetic when he realized the purpose of my visit. Turns out the poor guy couldn't afford any employees. The location was awful and they were losing $$ and looking for a buyer from the business. The place was small and wasn't fully equipped so the audit took only 90 minutes without an abundance of photos. The store was also located in a downtown location with expensive parking everywhere. I found a side street with free one hour parking. I took the risk and didn't get a ticket; otherwise my fee would have been obliterated by the fine. Unfortunately, I had to race out of there to put out a work-related fire and didn't get my "free" ice cream!

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Yorinde

Coldspring, Texas
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  01:52:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have seen a shop for a mall food court that reimburses $5.00 (I forgot how much the fee was). In the description it says "... bring the whole family, everybody can get what they want!" In what universe?

Yorinde
Go to Top of Page

TammiT
Contributor

Paramus, New Jersey
USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  04:54:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yorinde

I have seen a shop for a mall food court that reimburses $5.00 (I forgot how much the fee was). In the description it says "... bring the whole family, everybody can get what they want!" In what universe?
LOL...bring the whole family so that they can stare at the food while you eat.

That was my chuckle for the day.

Tammi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

KelliL
Valued Contributor

Placentia, CA
USA
149 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  5:36:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
"... bring the whole family, everybody can get what they want!"

I have not done this shop, but I think you have to go to many of the food court locations, like five or six of the restaurants, and order 5.00 worth of food.

Happily shopping in North Orange County.
Go to Top of Page

JenFelix
Contributor

Randleman, NC
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  08:56:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I mentioned doughnuts shops I would never do, well I have not been paid for three months worth. The worst part is that I was contracted to be paid a fee of $17.50 plus reimbursement and just found that on the invoice page 2 of the months fees were changed to $15.00!! I have the hard copy of the shop instructions that specifically state that I would be paid $17.50. The company claims they are having trouble collecting their fee from the client and the poor scheduler is new and inherited all of these problems. I do really feel sorry for her, but I will NEVER work for this company again.

Jennifer "Cookielady" Felix, Silver Certified. Still shopping and loving it.
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  09:18:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As has been said many times before, Try telling your electric or phone company you are having trouble getting payment. Quite honestly I am like the rest in what I have read in the past, a reliable, stable company will 1)have the money to pay you and 2)WILL pay you whether the client pays them or not.

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

TammiT
Contributor

Paramus, New Jersey
USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  10:24:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KelliL

"... bring the whole family, everybody can get what they want!"

I have not done this shop, but I think you have to go to many of the food court locations, like five or six of the restaurants, and order 5.00 worth of food.

If this is the case then its not as bad as it seems. I did shops were you have to visit 5-6 restaurants like this and after the second or third shop you will wish you had someone with you. The company I did the work for required that you SAMPLE the food purchased at each location. WAAAAAAYYY too much sometimes - and in one case, just plain nasty.

Tammi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Val AC
Valued Contributor

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  09:50:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just added to my list: bookstore shops done at a college campus. The company hooks you by giving you a low base pay and then mentions a $3 bonus.

This shop requires a phone call, then visiting a college campus bookstore shop and making a purchase, uploading the receipt, etc. Their report is too detailed, there were several sections that required illustrating the customer service, product knowledge, the attitude, the purchase, the phone call, etc. You have to engage an associate, then a cashier and give examples, names and descriptions. The instructions were even too involved and took up too much of my time.

At the very least I assumed I had gotten $2 of the bonus money. I gave several sentences of narrative for each section. I was just informed I'm getting the base pay of $10 for this shop. I can't believe it. Never again. I couldn't imagine what you would have to do to get bonus money.

BTW, I don't like how this company displays bonus pay with each assignment.
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  10:00:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Val, did they tell you why they were not paying you the bonus?

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

Val AC
Valued Contributor

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  10:32:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I gave the associate a 9 out of 10 on product knowledge. I felt they were above average, but not outstanding. I've been told by other MSC's that they don't expect to see a "10" unless the service was outstanding or out of the ordinary. They said I didn't supply comments to support this.

The editor stated they had to move a few of my comments around. I indicated that my shop day was the first day of the semester and at times there were some confused people in the bookstore, all the cashiers were handling customers, etc. I thought my comment was related to the atmosphere in the store, the traffic.

One word was mispelled.

The shop wasn't difficult, but it's more work than $10 - IMHO.

Oh, forgot to add, the shop report has to be done the same day.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  5:47:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed that shop requirements for many shops have been added to and, of course, no pay increase? I'm thinking I'd have to be insane to do some of these shops any longer ie, Furniture shop where you have to have a detailed discussion about purchasing furniture, start to purchase it, then back down, find out the manager's name and make an objection with him/her, visit the bedding dept. and interact with an associate regarding mattresses (read - shop within shop). I used to enjoy shopping this store, but geesh, come on, if that scenario doesn't make us obvious...

I don't know, these companies are just adding and adding on to what used to be uncomplicated shops and making them unbearable. Today I did what used to be a fast and easy bank teller shop. Well, it went very well, but it turned into meeting with the personal banker etc. Then the report is retooled and was loaded with required comments. I can't even imagine the report if the shop had not gone well. Pay is still at the same level of when it was quick and painless. Who does these things? and why?

So, it looks like I'll be crossing some of the old reliables off my list this year. I'm all about looking for the cut and dry shops, even the cheapies, as long as they are worth my time. I'll do an extensive shop here and there, as long as it is worth it. But these crazy scenarios with the low fees that take so much time are just unbelievable.

Anyone else noticing this, or is it just me?

Judi
Go to Top of Page

KelliL
Valued Contributor

Placentia, CA
USA
149 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  5:51:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am with you, Judi. I think because it is the start of the new year, and maybe new contracts, many of the shops will be different. I had a quick and easy bank shop, only to find the report to have several new paragraphs added to it. So not worth the 10 dollars anymore! I will be carefully evaluating shops to see which ones still make sense for me.

Happily shopping in North Orange County.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  6:48:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the same bank shop, Kelli.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  07:43:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Goodness. I have one fast food shop (which I normally don't do, but this was at the airport) and they want details over details over details! I mean you can only say so much! I have given them a two page narrative about the 16 minutes I was there and I honestly don't know how much detail I can provide to them without it starting to sound like a bad novel.

*The server, wearing a jet black, with blood red lettering and a freshly painted white walls white hat, placed on his head, the top of his head, not to the side, but exactly on top of his head, pointed, with long taped fingers, one gloved in a plastic, unlike Michael Jackson type glove, see through plastic, the kind that you see the flesh right through, not the white hospital kind, to the slice of pizza, which clearly was cheese, because of the cheese placed on top, which was yellow cheese colored..........*

Go to Top of Page

Patty in NY

Rockaway, NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  08:04:55 AM  Visit Patty in NY's Homepage  Send Patty in NY an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay Lisa, if your statement doesn't have me sitting at work trying to muffle my laughter. Finally I just let it out and someone asked if I could forward the joke to them since they too needed a good laugh. I looked up and told them, oh I can't forward it, you wouldn't understand it, it's a family joke. I am so going to be fired.

Patty
Office Manager by day and a Mystery by night (and weekends).
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Madge Shawver
Star Contributor

PA
USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:17:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Val AC

Just added to my list: bookstore shops done at a college campus. The company hooks you by giving you a low base pay and then mentions a $3 bonus.

This shop requires a phone call, then visiting a college campus bookstore shop and making a purchase, uploading the receipt, etc. Their report is too detailed, there were several sections that required illustrating the customer service, product knowledge, the attitude, the purchase, the phone call, etc. You have to engage an associate, then a cashier and give examples, names and descriptions. The instructions were even too involved and took up too much of my time.

At the very least I assumed I had gotten $2 of the bonus money. I gave several sentences of narrative for each section. I was just informed I'm getting the base pay of $10 for this shop. I can't believe it. Never again. I couldn't imagine what you would have to do to get bonus money.

BTW, I don't like how this company displays bonus pay with each assignment.

Oh i agree with you...I did ONE of these but I got it when they were really hard up and they paid me $25 to do it. I'd not do it for the lousy $10 and possibility of a bonus. sorry you had to learn this the hard way....those "fake bonuses" are just that!

Madge
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  09:17:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patty in NY

Okay Lisa, if your statement doesn't have me sitting at work trying to muffle my laughter. Finally I just let it out and someone asked if I could forward the joke to them since they too needed a good laugh. I looked up and told them, oh I can't forward it, you wouldn't understand it, it's a family joke. I am so going to be fired.

Sorry Patty, but we need more details; was this a belly laugh, or would you call it more of a chuckle? We need to know the exact time, in minutes and seconds and sub-seconds that you laughed. We need to know what you were sitting on , was it a chair, a desk chair, a hard chair, soft chair, a bear chair, a bear rug or a bean bag chair and if so the exact size and sound of the beans. The someone needs to be described - male, female, unknown. Name would be nice, but please also included a full description including their clothing, clothing size, blood type and when and if their ancestors moved to the United States.

Please limit your answer to 150 words or less, put two blanks after each period, hop on one foot and turn around three times.

Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your shop. In 6 to 8 months, when you have completely forgoten about it, a check will be mailed to you for $1.00.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums