Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Patty in NY

Rockaway, NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  10:05:21 AM  Visit Patty in NY's Homepage  Send Patty in NY an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay, now you have brought me to tears. At first I thought I was reading a script from that commerical where they call a number and have to give info on a co-worker to see what level of laughing they can do.(can't for the life of me remember the name of it) Ahhhhhh, those semi-senior moments.

I know what you mean though. I had one, wait in line (no line to write about), ask an open ended question (I always get the people that don't like to talk), leave. Narrative - 4 to 6 paragraphs. Duhhhhhhh. Must have complete description or no pay - Height (taller than me, but that's not saying much, everyone is taller than me)Hair color/Length (It's freezing out, he has a wool cap on and it is nighttime. I can't tell if his hair is black or his wool cap is black. He could be bald for all I know. Should I pay some kid to run past and pull his cap off.

Sometimes it is very hard to get the information they are looking for when the shop itself is so short.

Fortunately I have a great time doing these shops, so what's an extra paragraph or three, or four - it's all in a days work.

Patty
Office Manager by day and a Mystery by night (and weekends).
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  1:38:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
sorry you had to learn this the hard way....those "fake bonuses" are just that!

Amusement Advantage is one company who actually pays the bonuses they hold out.

But I completely agree that the other company does not.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Aimee G
Star Contributor

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  2:52:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now see.... I used to love doing this shop and I have gotten the full bonus every time I have shopped for this company.. and paid quickly. I quit doing the college bookstore shop though because they started "recommending" that you buy some type of office supply with the reimbursement. I don't like to buy office supplies on shops because they are tax deductible anyway, thus making the reimbursement pointless. The bookstore I did always has a huge selection of hardback novels on clearance, discounted to fit one or two in the reimbursement. Those really made it worth my while.

Aimee
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  5:41:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

*The server, wearing a jet black, with blood red lettering and a freshly painted white walls white hat, placed on his head, the top of his head, not to the side, but exactly on top of his head, pointed, with long taped fingers, one gloved in a plastic, unlike Michael Jackson type glove, see through plastic, the kind that you see the flesh right through, not the white hospital kind, to the slice of pizza, which clearly was cheese, because of the cheese placed on top, which was yellow cheese colored..........*

Thanks for the laugh, Lisa.
I'm coming down sick and isn't laughter a good medicine?

>^..^< ::¤Connie¤::¤Gold Certified¤:: >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

TammiT
Contributor

Paramus, New Jersey
USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  6:15:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just saw a new one for those donut shops that seem to be on the move. This required that get there BEFORE 6 AM and sit in your car for FOUR HOURS (without a bathroom break) and count the cars. Plus make two purchases to bracket the hours that you are there.

Tammi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Heather Burnette2
Star Contributor

Spring Hope, NC
USA
340 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  6:43:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
and what was they pay for that prety little shop?

Burnette
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  05:26:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
But think about it. If you got PAID anything decent you could do other stuff while waiting. You could do phone shops, paperwork, read a book, do your nails, listen to a book on tape, etc.

I'm not saying I would do it - I have no idea what these shops are all about, I'm just saying that with two little kids at home, three cats, a dog and a husband, it sounds kind of nice and relaxing to me.

AND my car is always warmer then our house!
Go to Top of Page

Madge Shawver
Star Contributor

PA
USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  05:48:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TammiT

Just saw a new one for those donut shops that seem to be on the move. This required that get there BEFORE 6 AM and sit in your car for FOUR HOURS (without a bathroom break) and count the cars. Plus make two purchases to bracket the hours that you are there.
just when you think you've heard it all??? OMG....

Madge
Go to Top of Page

TammiT
Contributor

Paramus, New Jersey
USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  06:00:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Burnette

and what was they pay for that prety little shop?

It paid $50. However the time frame for this is during a major cold snap. I could see burning up a sizeable portion of that pay just trying to keep warm while sitting on the parking lot for FOUR hours.

the basics are:

You MUST:

• Arrive at the coffee shop location and make a purchase before 6:00 AM…the receipt time must be BEFORE 6:00 AM as you must be parked and prepared to start counting at exactly 6:00 AM. If the time is wrong on the receipt, please make a note of it and explain in your report. (You may NOT count from inside the store; you MUST stay in your car.)

• You will also make a purchase at the coffee shop after 10:00 am. The receipt time must be AFTER 10:00 am as you have to count up until 10:00 am.

• You MUST OBTAIN BOTH RECEIPTS or the shop will not be accepted. (It is not uncommon for customers to ask for receipts even for small purchases since many people have expense reimbursements from work.) Check the time on your receipt right away to make sure that it is accurate and matches with the time on your watch or cell phone. If they do not match, make a note of the time discrepancy to include in your report. The receipt number will be at the top of the receipt next to the date. You will either upload or email the receipt in a format provided.

• Park somewhere that you will have a clear view of all patrons arriving at your assigned location. You must be able to see all entrances to get an accurate count.

• You will count all patrons entering the restaurant and all cars entering the drive up lane. (Detailed instructions provided in the Guidelines). YOU MUST STAY IN YOUR CAR THE ENTIRE 4 HOURS! (Not even bathroom breaks!)

• You must have a watch or cell phone with you to verify the exact time that you are there. You must keep track of the hours so you can put your customer counts in the correct time frame.

uh yeah.

Tammi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:07:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now, I would do that. I've never seen it and have no idea what company it is, but I'd do it. I was stuck in that darn ice for a few hours and frankly I didn't mind it too much. Book on tape, coffee, cell phone, etc. Big blanket.

It is funny that some ten foot pole jobs totally depend on the person.

Just think - you could do some phone shops and make double the money -if you could work it out right.

Go to Top of Page

Laura the Canuck
Valued Contributor

Tarkio, MO
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:43:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When the weather is nice, I have been known to stay in the car for hours. I'm an at-home Mom and sometimes commute to work with my hubby for a change of scenery. So... listening to AM talk radio, reading novels, nursing the baby. Fours hours is not that far out of reach. It IS friggin' cold, though. Count me out.

Laura
Proud Canadian, shopping Northwest Missouri and Omaha areas.
Go to Top of Page

SteveSoCal
Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  09:04:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm in CA and wouldn't consider that shop. I don't need the heat on, but I would probably have to be feeding a parking meter the entire time and somewhere around 90 minutes into the shop, I'm sure the LAPD would approach my car and ask what I was up to!

This also goes beyond mystery shopping and into loss-prevention, which are shops I try to avoid. The company is going to check the store receipts against the customer count they get from the shopper and look for theft, so I see problems down the road with that.

They really should hire a PI to do this stuff, but they are trying to save $$ and would rather pay a MSer $50 instead of $200 to a PI. I'll stick to evaluating customer service.

Oh....and I swore off doughnut shops as a new years resolution . I can't be trapped in a car with only doughnuts for four hours!

Steve
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  09:37:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Trapped in a car with only coffee and donuts is sort of a dream come true for me. I'd do it, but it seems that they don't have them in my area - or do they? If anyone sees any for MN, kindy give the scheduler my info please.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  09:51:29 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have seen these counting-cars once. They are usually during the day and I have an office job, so I can't take them. However, I don't think I could read a novel if I was supposed to be counting cars, as I'd become way too engrossed. I don't think I personally could do phone shops or anything else requiring my full attention, either. More power to you if you can.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

TammiT
Contributor

Paramus, New Jersey
USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:06:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

Trapped in a car with only coffee and donuts is sort of a dream come true for me. I'd do it, but it seems that they don't have them in my area - or do they? If anyone sees any for MN, kindy give the scheduler my info please.
Thanks!

Hope you don't have to go to the bathroom after drinking all that coffee.

I would be cuz I get cold easily. So the thoughts of sitting in a cold car, drinking tea and HOLDING it for four hours sound painful.

Tammi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:34:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a warm car and no, I wouldn't have a problem waiting four hours. Not saying that wouldn't be the first thing I did when I got inside, but I could wait four hours.

As far as not being able to do other things, I have no problem doing phone shops or other stuff while sitting in the car and watching - besides I often listen to books on tape while driving.

I'm bummed now, cause I'd be great at these but can't do them cause they aren't here.
Go to Top of Page

Laura the Canuck
Valued Contributor

Tarkio, MO
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  11:51:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What happens when you get your second coffee, and the staff recognize you as the creep who they just called the cops about? You, know, the one who parked outside half their shift and watched?

Laura
Proud Canadian, shopping Northwest Missouri and Omaha areas.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  3:40:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its so cold around here that I don't think anyone cares if a person is sitting in their car for hours - besides, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't look very scary.
Go to Top of Page

Laura NH
Valued Contributor

NH
USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  5:26:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the donut traffic count a couple of years ago. It was easy and was well worth the money. If I recall, there was virtually no report, just the counts and purchase/receipt info from start and end times. I would not have been able to read a book and keep count. I did have the radio on NPR the whole time. This was before I had an MP3 player with my books on tape. I had the car running w/heat for the first half hour or so, but once the sun was up (it wasn’t winter) I was comfortable without it. Well, I bet you all know what happens when you listen to the car radio for four hours without the car running. I had to get a jump start as there was enough juice to run the radio, but not to start up again. ACK!

Laura
MSPA Silver Certified Shopping in New Hampshire
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:35:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh Laura, you poor thing. I've done other counting jobs before and yes, it would be harder to read, but you could talk on the phone or take someone with you and trade off, couldn't you? Bring someone and play war in the car with them. LOL!

Four hours of just nothing to do some like heaven to me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums