Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Aimee G
Star Contributor

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  6:13:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I occasionally have FedEx deliveries that need my signature on days when I know I can't be home all day to wait for it. I have the company deliver the package to the nearest FedEx to me for pickup there at my convenience. Much easier if you have a FedEx close to you.

Aimee
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  1:38:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is a good idea Aimee!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  3:01:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I worked for the Probation Department I would have deliveries made to the Juvenile Detention Center. As a 24-hour facility it is always open and there is always someone to sign for a delivery. Now I have deliveries made to my husband's shop. The business drivers know when the places on their route are open and make their deliveries accordingly.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  3:13:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wanted to post on the FF reveal ones. I had picked one up before all of this on the board and then after reading it all, was thinking oh no what did I get myself into. Here is how mine went.

FedEx delivered to me when I was home anyway (no time wasted)
Time to print paperwork: 2 minutes
Time to read through the materials: 10 minutes.
Time to get to the location 4 minutes.
Total time in location (start to finish) 11 minutes.
Time to get home: 4 minutes
Time to do report: 5 minutes
Free meal and a small fee, not to bad. BTW meal reimbursement is listed at $6.50 (maybe changed recently?)
I have done worse shops for less. Maybe they changed the paperwork, maybe I am wrong and not the same shop you all are speaking of. But I did not find it bad at all to do and will see if any others are around here for me to do. I should also note the paperwork I printed was 3 pages, rest of it was sent to me. I was also sent a return envelope to send via FedEx.

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  3:41:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some people had difficult managers and such. And yes it looked like they up'd the reimbursement for the higher in areas. I would do them again I just wish I could order something different seeing how it does not pertain to the actual shop.

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  4:37:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeanine and Lori: Will you share what the issues were that you refer to? What were the strict guidelines, for example?

Lori: Were both of the shops above with the same MSC?

Thanks.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

EliseSm
Valued Contributor

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  5:28:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randi H

I wanted to post on the FF reveal ones. I had picked one up before all of this on the board and then after reading it all, was thinking oh no what did I get myself into. Here is how mine went.
I didn't feel comfortable when reading these posts, because I had already applied for the fast food shop. I was prepared for the worst! It wasn't so bad, at all. The employees & the manager were so happy! It was challenging with the required signature for the mailing, but I now know where the elusive FedX is located!! I drove and picked it up. There are numerous places to mail FedX in this area.

After meeting with the manager, I bought another sandwich meal and gave the food to my boys.

The grocery store with up to 12 employees still reins as my #1 terror.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  5:57:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Personally I don't mind grocery store shops - especially if you can bring your kids with you. But also because you can pretty much have the notes right there with you and you write stuff down in full view. Almost everyone who is food shopping has a list or coupons or is making notes, so it just does not seem out of place.

Now what I don't care for - and I've done a lot of them - is car shops - shopping for a new car. I just can't get too excited about cars and I hate test driving, but otherwise I am really trying to think of shops that I don't do or just avoid doing and I can't think of any.
Go to Top of Page

Karen C
Contributor

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  7:36:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, I just did my first 10-foot pole shops today!
They are actually pricing audits where you find 30+ items and
record the price of the national name brand and the store brand
for the same item. Yikes....the first one was at a large grocery
store and it took me 2 1/2 hours. I thought maybe the second one
would go faster because the square footage of the store was about
1/2 the first one, plus I was now familiar with what I would be
doing. I am also more familiar with the discount store food sales
area....WRONG....it took 3 hours!

I don't know how anyone could accomplish it in 30 minutes which was
how it was presented to me by the scheduler (new company so I was
excited to be asked...). I wouldn't do them again unless they were
double the bonused amount they paid me, at a minimum. And I haven't
even entered the shops yet...but I am fast at that and do data entry
in my day job, so I hope that won't be a problem. Also worried about
the fact that some of the generic store brand items simply did not
exist....or the size discrepancies....11 oz instead of 12 oz, etc.

We'll see how the reporting and payment goes....but no more of these
for me unless the fees are doubled +....
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  9:05:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know why, call me crazy I guess but I actually like those grocery shops where you have to get the names of 10+ people. I only go to grocery shopping every six weeks or so (I'm single) and I spend 45 minutes anyway going up and down the aisles looking at all the stuff so those shops fit into my shopping style. I've never gotten the maximum # of names. I usually end up with the minimum. So far only one employee has figured out who I was and puffed out his chest so I could be sure to read his name tag. I buy TP as my BOB, so I do miss my Costco brand of TP.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  11:04:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Amy--I did many of those shops and loved them. I varied my BOB--TP. paper towels, potatoes, onions, half-flat of starter garden plants, 12-pack of soda. My only twinge was when a high-school age kid was the parcellor and he deliberately looked at the item, then at me as I paid, but didn't say anything. I was wearing my duty jacket, as my shift had just ended. That was the last time I did that shop and I prayed when the report came in he got to read it and know he hadn't witnessed a cop stealing from his store.

And you know, there were several times when I accidentally left the item on the bottom of the cart in the parking lot and didn't realize it until I was writing the report!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Anna-L
Valued Contributor

TN
USA
223 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  11:31:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Single and only go to grocery store every 6 weeks...wow - When I was single, not that very long ago, I shopped once a week becaue I cooked every night. What do you live on? Now that we are retired we go a few times a week, something I swore I would never do!!! Back on topic - I did a few of the grocery shops and there were neer many employeees working even during the required busy time and I had to walk back and forth several times and the store was huge....it usually turned out one employee covered several areas so the names/descriptions were the same. Not worth the money. But I live in a different area and there aren't any so I wish they would stop sending e-mails!

Anna
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  7:13:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to buy onions or potatoes to use as BOB items. Problem is that I have 8#s of potatoes currently turning into new life forms in my oven (which I haven't turned on in months) and I have a huge bag of onions growing long tendrils growing in my cabinet. Between dog training, working full time (my hours change daily as I do in-home sales) and MSing, and not being a fan of cooking, I tend to only eat two meals a day: Breakfast and a late afternoon meal. My microwave gets the most use. The grocery MS shop is one that is not close to me but carries products I like, so I tend to buy in bulk from them and the rest from Costco.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  8:24:36 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love grocery stores, but the new one for Trendsource is now on my list. Too much for too little.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

KelliL
Valued Contributor

Placentia, CA
USA
149 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  9:01:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am with you PamInCA -- way too much writing for the small fee and reimbursement. I could see if it were check boxes, with one three to five sentence summary, but not in its current form.

Happily shopping in North Orange County.
Go to Top of Page

EliseSm
Valued Contributor

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  11:13:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

Now what I don't care for - and I've done a lot of them - is car shops - shopping for a new car. I just can't get too excited about cars and I hate test driving, but otherwise I am really trying to think of shops that I don't do or just avoid doing and I can't think of any.
I have to agree with you on a car shop. The salesman thought it was a done deal and turned me over to the closer. They are guys trying to make a living, and with times so difficult, they must have been thrilled at the prospect of making a sale. I have to admit the shop made me sad. I like shops with happy endings .
Glad the grocery shops are good for you, though.
Oh yes, the grocery shops weren't happy endings for me. lol I did an awlful job, I felt like a real idiot hoofing around a store trying to get everything. Then I entered the report, and the editor asked questions, and I asked if everything was okay. She said, yes, that she could work with it. Next thing I know, I'm getting a bad rating and a very unhappy ending for me. I suppose they hate me, so I chock it up to experience.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  12:05:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really liked these -- of course, I had 4 within 10 miles of each other, else it would in no way have been worth the small fee. Since you can't choose the meal, I don't count that. I gave mine (sans one cut out piece) to a homeless guy on the street corner. lol.

All of mine won. When they lose, no amount of money is worth it.

Dh loves the sandwiches from the sandwich reveal shop, so I've done a few of those recently. They take about 4x as long for almost the same fee.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Baker
Valued Contributor

Evansville, IN
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  07:38:29 AM  Visit Ms.Baker's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I accepted a posting at a book store, not realizing that it was the second day of the semester!

I downloaded the information, but I put the shop on my last stop of the day for obvious reasons.... I am going to be standing there for an hour in line for a $10 shop. It was dark when I arrived, and it was dark when I left, so I didn't notice that while I was in the store, someone backed into my car.

Will I take another shop from them...

Not on your life. It's too risky to drive on a campus and park your car in a parking lot with unresponsible young people just to stand in line an unreasonable amount of time to be paid an unreasonable price for the shop and to be insulted on what I reported.

Shopping the Tri-State area
Go to Top of Page

Heather C.
Valued Contributor

Montreal
Canada
196 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  11:52:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Being from Montreal, I occasionally get job posts that require shoppers to write their reports either in French or in BOTH French AND English. I avoid these like the plague. My French isn't that great so it takes me twice as long to translate a report. In the past I've seen MSCs offer to pay the equivalent of one report but expect shoppers to translate their reports in both languages. Or if the MSC offers a bonus, it's very low. It's not worth doing all that extra work for such little pay.

Heather
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  12:11:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hmm Heather, you could always have our dear Servanne help you out! I wonder if that is the same company that I contacted a few years ago. I needed to call them about some work so I praticed over and over how to say some stuff in French for half a day and then finally, with book in hand called them. I was transferred to three people - none of who spoke one word of French. I was so sad.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums