Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  5:05:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Lisa, All bank shops aren't that bad. I have accounts at 5 different banks and mainly take the quick transaction shops. I love getting paid to do a normal task. But....... I opened an account at one bank and my "personal banker" calls me every few months to see in my life has changed to need a loan or something. I hate to be rude but I'm think I'm going to ask her not to call again, don't call me, I'll call you! It just irritates me to no end.
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  7:18:51 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JudyinLA

Alan, that would be great to do a shop in between movie times, but this movie is 1 1/2 hours and I couldn't find a shop close in proximity to the theater so that I could get back in time for the patron check. My town is a little spread out. But anyway, under $3 an hour is a little too cheap of a shop even for me as a beginner. I'll look into chewing rubber bands.

That is true. If you are a little spread out, then getting there and back in time may not be possible. Luckily for me, most of the movie theaters in my area have hundreds and hundreds of stores and restaurants around them. The biggest problem I often have is finding a parking space at the theater when I get back from a shop.

Plus, I only count the actual amount of time I work when figuring out how much I made per hour. So even when I have to stay at the theater all day, I only count the 50 minutes per showtime I actually count as work. I guess I don't really consider the rest of the time I'm there because I'm usually sitting on a chair somewhere reading a good book.

And as far as the rubber bands, I got some during an office supply shop today. Would you like me to send them to you so you can start eating them?

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  9:47:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alan,
a cholesterol level of 309! OMG. I am in shock. MS is not worth a heart attack!!!! Of course, I am saying this the night before I am set to do a breakfast FF shop.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

JudyinLA
Trainee

Baton Rouge, LA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  11:55:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alan, I don't consider reading a book and spending 3 days in a movie theater a good use of time, although I do read every night. My hubby had to fend for himself food wise for 3 days and not happy about it. I guess I really spoil him and my son with home cooked meals. No thanks on the rubber bands.....that is pretty nasty work!

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Ebony

Denver, CO
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  5:05:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This has nothing to do with one specific shop but all shops/companies that require you to mail in your receipt are on my ten-foot pole list. That creates too many issues and in the age of technology, receipts can be verified just by the transaction number.

Ebony
Go to Top of Page

AndKnapp
Contributor

Valparaiso, Indiana
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  7:33:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok, I know you will all think I'm crazy, but the Ixxx Swedish stores, I can't find my email that had them listed in it. Anyone know the company? I love the shop, I know, I'm crazy. I had it in my records, but my hard drive crashed and I don't have my own computer right at the moment. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Angie
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  06:34:47 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Let's see...
  • The vitamin store audit at any price.
  • The gas stations I am now on the hook for.
  • Optical shops (with term paper long naratives) that expect me to purchase an eye exam and glasses for more than $100 over the value of the coupon and "pay"
    I seem to have company.
    http://forum.volition.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15244
  • MSC and merchandising companies that I actually have to invoice by snail mail.
  • The FF shops (more than one client) where the pay is average, but there is no food cost reimbursement.
  • The Pizza and sub shops downtown where I must find and pay for parking as well as compete with the office workers for the staff's attention.
  • Mutilated Pizza. Add to that the ones that want me to order "Delivery" from a location across town when the closest location is right up the street!
  • Grocery shops with no real pay where you in effect are shopping multiple departments. They might as well give you fake gift certificates
  • Grocery price audit shops where you need to memorize 3-5 things about 50-100 different products and do it covertly
  • Bank shops
Give me time, I'll add to this list.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  09:06:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
To each his own. The "long" eyeglass shops that provide a 30% off coupon plus a fee of over $100 saved me a ton of money on my most recent purchase of (my rather expensive) prescription glasses....much more than my sister's insurance saves her, and hers is one of the more generous optical insurance policies.

I will very gladly take these shops as often as I need new glasses. As a bonus, the sales rep at my local optician's helped me select some relatively inexpensive frames that have garnered constant compliments for how well they compliment my face and coloring.

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

Laura the Canuck
Valued Contributor

Tarkio, MO
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  12:38:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the vitamin audit once. The part in the store was easy-peasy. Too bad it took 8 hours to upload the photos. As a consequence, I don't do gas shops for this MSP no matter what they (or "Sam") offers.

Laura
Proud Canadian, shopping Northwest Missouri and Omaha areas.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  12:46:14 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cilla;

Congratulations Yes, the targeted place that I shopped did a good job too. It's just with patience and ad watching, I could have matched or very close to it the net price without filing the shop. Yes, the targeted place does great customer aftercare too.

What is funnier? My target from a few years ago when I did the long narrative optical shop now works for a competitor which I shopped more recently. The key different was the more recent optical shop did not require a purchase. It took a fraction of the time and effort to file it too.

Oh ... by the way if you know somebody who would love to do one, my metro area has a blue light special on optical shops at the present time. You get to choose your favorite location, scheduler and MSC!

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  5:30:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
To each his/her own, I like the vitamin audit shops. My 10-pole is the 2 dept. electronic shops.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Heather C.
Valued Contributor

Montreal
Canada
196 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  04:28:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I once saw a job for an athletic clothing store where in addition to evaluating employees, the shopper had to find the manager, hand them a letter stating that they had just been mystery shopped, and then leave the store.

What's the point of the shopper revealing themselves in this situation??? It made me wonder if the client understood the concept of mystery shopping

Heather
Go to Top of Page

David Richard
Valued Contributor

Providence, Rhode Island
USA
207 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  06:07:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's another recent posting that makes this list.

A 250 item pricing audit in a grocery store. The time to complete this assignment is listed as four hours.

It gets better .

It is a covert assignment!

Happily shopping
Rhode Island and nearby Massachusetts.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  08:11:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL!!! So for 4 hours, you suspiciously roam around the grocery store, taking notes and looking guilty every time an employee looks at you for more than 3 seconds and hope no one calls the cops on you for scouting the palce... Yeah right!
And I bet the pay on this one is great too...

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Terry9297
Apprentice

Enon Valley, PA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  4:42:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just did one of the pet store shops. I looked at all the information I needed and about freaked. I knew I wouldn't remember it. I took my 16 year old daughter with me. She dressed a little goth and carried around her cell phone, rolling her eyes at the stupid questions and texting the whole time. (Writing down the answers to questions--she texts much faster than I do, plus how could I put those answers in the phone myself?) Once we were almost done, she started whining..."Mom, can we please GO!"

I looked like a parent that cared more about my cat than my kid, but we had a laugh about it when we got in the car. I don't think I could have done it alone as well, but with my daughter as my helper it worked out fine...but I haven't gotten paid yet.

Terry
Silver shopper
Go to Top of Page

BKBerger
Valued Contributor

Porterville, CA
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  8:21:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terry9297

I just did one of the pet store shops. I looked at all the information I needed and about freaked. I knew I wouldn't remember it. I took my 16 year old daughter with me.

Too Funny!

One more year and you can both do those compliance stores where you also both get a chance to get arrested! (one shop I would NEVER attemp)

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Heather C.
Valued Contributor

Montreal
Canada
196 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  8:54:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This wasn't a mystery shop but an ms company once posted a job that required the shopper to wait outside a retail store at closing time and stop employees as their leaving and search their bags for any unpaid merchandise from the store.

When I used to work in retail, I had to get my purse checked after every shift and I absolutely hated it. After a long day at a low-paying job, the last thing I needed was to be humiliated and treated like a potential criminal. So I would never make somebody else go through the same experience I went through.

Heather
Go to Top of Page

LisaSTL
Star Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
733 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  06:26:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute, you're saying that out of the blue employees are going to walk out the door and a stranger will be standing there to search their personal effects How was this supposed to work. 30 years ago I worked part-time at Christmas for a major department store. Prior to leaving the building we had the whole search the bags, supply the receipt, but this was by a security guard INSIDE the building. If I had walked out the door and some stranger was standing there asking to search my bags I would have run back inside and called the police!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Meli
Valued Contributor

Houston, Texas
USA
129 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:23:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have actually done the 250 item grocery store pricing (bonused of course) and it's not as bad as you would think. You would be amazed how much grocery store employees don't care what the customers are doing and I was largely ignored. In case I was approached I was prepared to tell them I was planning on catering an event and was trying to get an idea of cost.

Meli
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
917 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  10:53:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heather C.

This wasn't a mystery shop but an ms company once posted a job that required the shopper to wait outside a retail store at closing time and stop employees as they're leaving and search their bags for any unpaid merchandise from the store.
There are very few shops that I won't do if the money is reasonable, but there is absolutely not enough you could pay me to do this one.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums