Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

MicheleinFLA
Star Contributor

FL
USA
334 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  04:55:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff68005

I'm about to add merchandising Wal-Mart to the list.

Anything in, near, or around Wal-Mart is on my list. I hate Wal-Mart and the chaos that goes with it!

Michele
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  07:14:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LizKa

Maybe I need a smart phone!

I don't have a "smart phone" but I use the text part of my phone to make notes. save it as a draft and it won't cost you anything even if you don't have a texting plan since you didn't send it to anyone.

I do agree, however, that some of these would be tons easier with a recorder. I've been really thinking of getting one, but FL is a two-party state, so I think it would be illegal.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Mike Krieger
Star Contributor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  3:05:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

To each his/her own, I like the vitamin audit shops. My 10-pole is the 2 dept. electronic shops.

Yeah, it used to be one that I didn't mind doing as the 2 dept electronic shops used to get bonused to about $25-$30 plus a $2 reimbursement back when I started MSing in 2005, which I just bought a soda and a candy bar. Since then, they switched companies. But $10 now for the shop with no reimbursement makes it a 10 foot pole as each shop in total has to take at least 1.5 hours if you know what you're doing between doing it and entering it; more if it is Christmas time.
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  6:34:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the store portion of the 2-dept. store, but the report itself is a major headache.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

CherryT

Myrtle Beach, SC
USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  2:15:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just had my first request for a fast food chicken chain that was only reimbursing cost of the meal. Good news - when you decline a shop with that particular company they ask the reason - shop fee. Almost as bad as the sandwich place that wants to pay us with a store gift card. My response to that one - when Santee Cooper starts accepting XYZ gift cards for payment i will consider it.

Cherry
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
367 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  09:32:04 AM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm completely understanding of the "to each his/her own" thought with respect to this industry, but one just arrived that "takes the cake."

This is a FF that requires one to have a color printer, reveal themselves, only shop between 14:01 and 18:45, and must be completed 01/13 or 01/14. The pay WAS $6 + a reimbursement of $4.75, but due to a significant number of locations not having been selected*, a bonus of $1.50 has been added.

*Perhaps more have decided they're unwilling to toil for such a miniscule piece of the profit pie?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  10:24:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As you said, to each their own. I did several of these, and found them ridiculously easy. They took 10 minutes max, and that was only if there happened to be other customers there. Not a whole lot of money, true, but compared to some of the merchandising jobs paying $8/hour and I would still have to reveal, print my own paperwork, etc, I found these a much better deal. (although someone still keeps taking those, but that's their problem) Even with the travel time, I could do 3 in an hour. That's not a bad rate for this industry, at least not in my area.

The ones still open that are 2 hours away, however... that extra $1.50 doesn't cover THAT.

--Sandi
Go to Top of Page

SueNVa
Contributor

Chantilly, VA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  12:35:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree on the $8.00 / hour merchandising assignments. I have to add that I did a group of seven easy easy merchandising assignments for MF that had started at $8 but no one would take them so I watched them inch up to $12/ each ...They were all within a five mile radius of me and it was before Christmas so I thought ok, that's an easy $84...I bet I had gotten five emails from MF prior to going to the board and accepting the jobs advertising that they were bonused at $12.00. When I went to the board to accept the jobs, the description listed them still at $8.00. When I called MF to verify the fee, I was told I would be paid $12.00 if that's what they were listed at. I was on the road and did not clarify if that meant, as they were listed in the email, or as they were listed on the job board, my bad. Alas, I received a check for the shops at $8.00 each. My inquiry to MF has gone unanswered. Bah hum bug. I noted again recently that a job that was bonused in an email to me was still listed at the regular starting price on the board... MF if you're reading this, please take note!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  06:09:00 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, any chance you still have the email where they were offered at $12? If so, maybe you can show it to them as proof. I often save emails offering bonuses, at least until I see the bonus amount confirmed on the shop form.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  07:19:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue, often times with MF the bonuses are offered via the link they provide in the email. If you sign up for the shop via that link, the adjusted price will be reflected. If you go straight to the website instead, you will get the "regular" rate.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

SueNVa
Contributor

Chantilly, VA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  07:55:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ayup, I do still have the email and will be using that when I speak to them about it...

Servanne, this was actually their Certified Field Associates portal and the links in the mail were only to the log-in page for that site, and then you have to search for the actual job by plugging in the ID number...No link to the actual job itself.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

LisaSTL
Star Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
733 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  4:07:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue,

I also got a lot of e-mails for assignments I would not normally do, but some of them were going to be so close to home or to another assignment I thought, "Why not." Then I had the same issue when going to the website. I was not about to self-assign them without seeing the bonus and, in my case, there weren't enough to justify the time it would've taken to have the fee verified.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  7:27:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry Sue. I am not familiar at all with their Certified site. I do not do merchandising. I thought you may have been talking about the old Shop-n-Chek portal. I hope you can get the extra money that you are due.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

Terry9297
Apprentice

Enon Valley, PA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  06:24:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The group of shops I would no longer do, is pretty small:
No FF eat in drive through. Too much work, doesn't cover the cost and the dog ate the bun from the drive through before the meat. Makes you wonder...I might do them if you could have salads.

No more bank shops where you have to put up the $30 loan fee unless with a company I trust. Some take a might longer time to pay than they say and ask for more questions than were in the original directions. Too many of them max the CC, but I've also done some great bank shops.

I'd do the pet food again. It had a ridiculous amount of questions to get away with as a shopper, but was multiple choice. I posed as a crazy cat lady and took my goth daughter who texted all the answers to the stupid questions to me while I was shopping. It was a riot. Poor pay but a cool bonding time with my daughter. Sometimes you have to get creative.

No more food shops that pay $35 for a $55 meal and no bar shops that won't let me go alone. As a divocee that can get tacky asking someone to go to a bar with you just so you can get the shop, especially if he eats or drinks your profit.

I won't do any shops under $5.00. Period.
Silver shopper in PA
Go to Top of Page

FergusonKka
Valued Contributor

NY
USA
140 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  4:21:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I never did one but the 'compliance' one where you take a teen girl who tries to get the 'morning after' contraceptive to see if they proof her has got to be the worst idea I could see a parent doing.
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  6:30:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FergusonKka

I never did one but the 'compliance' one where you take a teen girl who tries to get the 'morning after' contraceptive to see if they proof her has got to be the worst idea I could see a parent doing.

--Sandi
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  09:31:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandi G

I second that.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

Cary in Cincy
Star Contributor

Cincinnati, OH
USA
259 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  07:54:45 AM  Send Cary in Cincy an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree about the smart phone. Blackberry's have a notepad that you can save the files and when your typing in the notes, they all think your surfing the web or texting. Using both hands shows the texting approach. I even type in the names and description as I am talking to them sometimes... Since laws on recording others is not always clear or known, just recording while acting like your on a call is the easiest and you can take very good notes for later if you like hearing your own voice.

Cary
Mystery shopping and Merchandising in Ohio, KY, IN, WV, and More....
Video Certified with Own Camera
Go to Top of Page

ChrisThomas
Valued Contributor

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  08:28:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I concur on the "take my daughter to get birth control". Just what I want my daughter having experience in doing on her own.

The other types of shops I have no interest in doing again:
The BBQ joint (that isn't very good at BBQ anyway), where you are paid nothing more than the meal price if you can keep it below that, then waiting 3+ months to get paid. Oh, and having to fill out that darn report for hours on end. How many times can someone describe corn on the cob. Waste of time..

And on that note, anyone that pays 90+ days is just greedy or arrogant anyway. I understand the "don't take a shop if you can't wait". The problem is you run the risk of them forgetting or losing the report. I almost always have to track those down. All for meal and no fee.

Go to Top of Page

MitchK

Illinois
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  3:36:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Add another shop to my ten-foot-pole list. This one was described as a "Quick Check" of a fast food location (revealed) to make sure they were using only company provided ingredients that were not past expiration date.

The manager/owner was a complete jerk. He accused me of coming to harass him and threatened to call his lawyer. I should have walked out. He eventually allowed me to inspect his goods, but would not give me any assistance in finding specific items.

I literally spent an hour crawling around his cooler and freezer (dressed professionally, mind you), searching for 27 individual products, tiny lot numbers, and nearly invisible expiration dates.

All for $12.

Silly me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums