Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Joyce A H1
Valued Contributor

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  5:18:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MitchK

I literally spent an hour crawling around his cooler and freezer (dressed professionally, mind you), searching for 27 individual products, tiny lot numbers, and nearly invisible expiration dates.

All for $12.

Silly me.

Oh man, I'm sooooooo glad those were already taken by the time I saw them, so sorry, but THANKS for the warning.
Go to Top of Page

Larry S
Valued Contributor

Simi Valley, CA
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  11:24:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The first shop took about 45 minhutes, the rest 20-30. I did bring a coat. I grabed the items I could easily see and took them out of the cooler/freezer to get the numbers. What I could not find I asked to manager to get. If the manager did not retrieve the item and I could not find it, it just did not exist. These stores are very unorganized, but now I have a system and the next two months should be pretty easy.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  07:23:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else notice that they changed the report questions after submission? Mine was returned for a question and I could not re-submit it until I answered the NEW things. Basically, it was better and allowed for more details to be submitted if needed.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  7:19:12 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shops due a week before the email asking me to participate.

I received an email from a scheduler for a well respected MSC offering a shop today - the 17th of the month. The closing remarks:
quote:
I am needing this shop done between today Wednesday the 3rd through Tuesday the 9th. If you are interested please contact me as soon as possible ...

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  10:12:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can't travel back in time, Jeff?
My 10' shop is the 2 dept. electronic store.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  3:24:28 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well ... I can, but the requirement of doing so in my birthday suit could get me arrested. The shop fee won't cover the cost of a decent lawyer.
Besides .. the shop locations all say "No Shirt / No Shoes / No Service". Imagine reporting that shop after time traveling to get there!

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

Mizzi_AZ
Valued Contributor

AZ
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  08:54:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The shop for Customer Service Experts where you have to call a college, ask questions of its admissions staff, provide your personal information, report on the phone conversation, then wait for and report on the follow-up. The shop took ~1.5 hours, from downloading and reading the guidelines, to completing the call, to checking for follow-up info, to reporting the interactions in *excruciating* detail. For the fee, it's not worth the hassle of the detailed reporting requirements. I take good notes, but I'm not a professional transcriptionist. So this one goes on my 10 ft. pole list.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  1:02:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The shop I will not touch with a 10' pole is a $3 gas shop. I will not do them for $4.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  2:55:49 PM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
If I don't get paid soon, my 10' pole shop will be the Tax prep/refund anticipation loan shop. I did one the first of February and still have not been paid so basically they are holding $400+ of my tax refund hostage while they "verify" my refund amount with the client.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising exclusively!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  08:06:45 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mizzi_AZ
I said that one goes on the "thanks, but no thanks" list when I saw the job description. To be fair to the CSE folks, the posting email was fairly clear about that.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Laura the Canuck
Valued Contributor

Tarkio, MO
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  08:53:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MCBarb

The shop I will not touch with a 10' pole is a $3 gas shop. I will not do them for $4.

I must be getting really prissy. I don't like doing gas shops for under $12 unless there's at least two gallons of gas attached!

Laura
Proud Canadian, shopping Northwest Missouri and Omaha areas.
Go to Top of Page

SusanToonces
Valued Contributor

Queens, NY
USA
167 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:49:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hate those that say, "Fun and easy cell phone shop" and it's something like $5.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

LisaSTL
Star Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
733 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:54:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is it the $5 or that a shop boasting fun and easy is neither

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  10:50:40 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You KNOW you have a contender when it is within 2 miles of home AND you go in the place 3-4 times a week many weeks as a true customer AND you drive by it at 25 miles an hour at least 10 times a week. The shop goes from $6 to $8 to $10 and maybe $12 before somebody else gets it off the list of available shops. The shop's reputation on Volition does not help make it more attractive.

THAT is a contender!

The contender is now in another town. The same MSC and client. That location went to $15.00 before the scheduler sent out a personal appeal willing to look at any offer. They must have gotten somebody as it is now off the table.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Mizzi_AZ
Valued Contributor

AZ
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  4:48:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff68005

Mizzi_AZ
I said that one goes on the "thanks, but no thanks" list when I saw the job description. To be fair to the CSE folks, the posting email was fairly clear about that.

Hi Jeff! Yes, CSE was transparent in disclosing the multiple steps involved in this phone shop. However, when applying I naively thought I'd be summarizing the call and answering some follow up questions. I didn't anticipate the MSC would require a play-by-play narrative, complete with quotations, of a 10+ minute conversation. My bad. (In my opinion, the MSC would be better off recording the phone call.) For the fee, I thought the reporting was far too aggravating and arduous and the time involved far too long. So "thanks, but no thanks" is right.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  6:53:10 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mizzi;

I've had a couple of Prophet companies record the call on a tollfree line which then called the target and still expect a fully commentary report.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

CariTX
Valued Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
201 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  9:44:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mizzi_AZ

The shop for Customer Service Experts where you have to call a college, ask questions of its admissions staff, provide your personal information, report on the phone conversation, then wait for and report on the follow-up. The shop took ~1.5 hours, from downloading and reading the guidelines, to completing the call, to checking for follow-up info, to reporting the interactions in *excruciating* detail. For the fee, it's not worth the hassle of the detailed reporting requirements. I take good notes, but I'm not a professional transcriptionist. So this one goes on my 10 ft. pole list.

I actually made the mistake of taking this shop twice last year, thinking, like others, hey a phone call won't be so bad. Hah. Never again. Fortunately, I had my trusty little DVR to help me (I live in a one-party-consent state). The first one wasn't bad, the person didn't ask for any contact info so I didn't have to wait for any callback. The other one did their job and we had a long conversation. Good for them, not so good for me.

MSPA GOLD Certified gdhls4. Happily shopping and merchandising in North Texas
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  05:32:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think they were a bit easier than this when I did them a couple of years ago. (I worked for a company that had a phone service that would provide a number that you could then forward to someplace else and the caller didn't know it was forwarded. I used all sorts of names and numbers and did a bunch of calls!) I've seen them posted lately and just have been busy during the times they were offered and hadn't gotten around to applying. I'm so glad I read this, as I think I will continue to let others enjoy them.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  10:29:14 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
What killed me about the University phone call was that they kept calling and calling - two or three times a day for several weeks. I had them on my caller ID so I wouldn't answer, but still... annoying.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  7:50:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I phoned ms'ed a trade college and still getting calls six months later, on a weekly basis.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums