Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Vonni
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:26:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My ten foot pole shops are the ones that have "urgent, bonus offered, please help, this shop needs to be completed today" in GIGANTIC letters, followed by a $2 or $3 bonus offer. The other one is the teeny tiny shop fee with a required purchase that is only partially reimbursed or not reimbursed at all. No thanks!!!

Yvonne
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  5:11:42 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Those are in my "Thanks, but No thanks" folder.

Add:
The shop advertising a $15.00 shop fee. When you read the fine print, it is a reimbursement against a required purchase. Sometimes, you have to visit multiple departments.
Yes, I have been in there with my nephew as a customer. A REAL customer.
Yes, somebody ought to thank their lucky stars that was the case.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

Rene-R
Valued Contributor

Phoenix, AZ
USA
171 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  2:35:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I no longer do the QSR hamburger shops that think 3 sentences describing their delicious bun is still 'light on content' and dock you $3.

I made the same mistake of doing the 'popular swedish furniture retailer' for $55. It took soooo long in the store that I had to get a babysitter and go back to finish it, then was up half the night doing the report. I also missed a date night with another couple bc I was still shopping! That one about gave me a nervous breakdown! I really hate it when a MSC underquotes the time a shop will take by half. It's just deceptive. I type super fast so I'm sure I'm not their slowest person, so I won't be shopping with that company again bc I felt misled/lied to.

I have never done the $4 grocery shops and I can't believe anyone does. Unless you have to go to that store and shop those 2 depts already, I just don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  06:32:33 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
In a weak moment, I was offered a shop for optical frames. Since my frames are giving me problems, I had a bad case of being curious. That clouded my judgement. I took the shop from a MSP based outside the USA. That's when I found out they expect you to do homework to learn the product line. The form cannot be seen until you do a commentary on the shop. The length is a 4 digit number and enforced.
The printout of the form was several pages.
Remind me to put an extention on the ten foot pole.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

Hunter is shopping now
Contributor

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  08:52:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A popular bargain retail store audit.

It requires you to audit (5) different depts (Men's shoes, Women's Dresses, Misses Tops, Men's pants and Juniors) with 125 pieces EACH (S/M/L/XL) and if you detect 25 items in the wrong place within these sections, you have to be specific about why they were in the wrong place by listing what depts and what sizes that you found within the "assigned" departments.

You have to help them size the dept also. While trying to be anonymous performing the audit. The instructions state 30-60 minutes but it takes much longer than that.

The fee is $16...

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

JenniferE
Contributor

Texas
USA
83 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  8:28:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love that shop, Hunter. I've done it so many times now it takes me less than 30 minutes in store, and I have only once had a problem with being stealthy, because for some reason that day there was an employee on every aisle! I love it when it is pants and blouses, because the size tags are super-easy to see. I use my phone to photograph a tag so I can enter the numbers from the tag when I get home.
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
917 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  8:48:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also frequently snap photos of the tags for later transcription. I'd love to know how you can get the time down, though. I've done a fair number of them, and it still always takes me right at an hour.

I get irritated when one of the categories involves items with size tags in the middle of the inside of the clothing since there's no way to just flip through the hangers to see it. Invariably, those are the ones mis-sized, so I would feel guilty just skipping over them. I'm also dismayed when shoes are on the list, since those are always in a huge disarray in any of the three stores I audit. Otherwise, I think it's pretty easy.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

ICourland
Contributor

New York, NY
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  5:55:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rene-R

I made the same mistake of doing the 'popular swedish furniture retailer' for $55. It took soooo long in the store that I had to get a babysitter and go back to finish it, then was up half the night doing the report. I also missed a date night with another couple bc I was still shopping! That one about gave me a nervous breakdown!

I did the same shop for $40, and it was my worst experience EVER. I drove 30 miles and worked 10 hours total that day late into the night for the big $40.

It was such a bad experience, I never can look at their ads or visit their stores without thinking of that day. The assignment was like one of Dante's rings of hell.

The next worst shop I ever did - the famous housewares store always sending me $5 off $15 coupons - got me to stop shopping altogether. Shop'n Chek sent me to this one. After I spent a good 5 hours working for the $20 or so, I kept getting emailed from SNC requesting MORE info for the client and sending MORE questions. This went on for a couple of days, until I finally said no more, just remove me from the database because I'm finished.

I am so off the shopping team. Thank god I don't have to do this anymore.

Ilene
I no longer shop. Stop spamming me with your shops!
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  7:48:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If a shop is so bad it makes you quit the shopping profession, it's REALLY, REALLY bad.

And if a shop is so bad that it leaves a bitter taste and makes you hesitate to shop at the store as a regular customer, it's REALLY REALLY REALLY bad.

I would hope that the stores who do these shops look into how they are designed, but at least one of them has been awful for years, despite shopper complaints and concerns. Make you wonder.

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

Judy in VA
Star Contributor

VA
USA
836 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  03:59:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Susan L

I would hope that the stores who do these shops look into how they are designed, but at least one of them has been awful for years, despite shopper complaints and concerns. Make you wonder.

Not only have some of those same exact scenarios been around for years, but because of MS companies vying for contracts, additional observations have gradually been added, and the fees have actually dropped over time.

I say we add an extension to the ladder, too.

MSPA 2007 Shopper of the Year
MSPA Gold Certified
Specializing in recorded and unrecorded phone shops
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1852 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  1:50:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How about "Enjoy your favorite amusement venue; and eat at their restaurant for free"? No fee. Reimbursement covers admission and one meal. Um.... how many of you "enjoy" museums by yourself, while you're busy taking notes and looking for discrepancies? "You only need to spend three hours" there. Yeah... three hours at the venue, 90 minutes doing the report, two hours' driving there and back -- for NO fee, but, hey!, you get in for free! And you get a delicious cafeteria meal!

Thanks, but my time and gas ARE actually worth more than $3/hr, $1.50 with a coupon.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

SusanToonces
Valued Contributor

Queens, NY
USA
167 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  3:25:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
i just found another addition to the Ten Foot Pole list.

A movie job. But you only get ONE ticket! And you have to make a purchase at the concession stand and get a RECEIPT!

Yeah, right.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Tracie
Valued Contributor

Oswego, IL
USA
235 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  3:06:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will no longer do an "easy" phone insurance shop for $10. I had to go through training, was given a scenerio where I was moving to some tiny town in the middle of nowhere and was given a new house address (which I later looked up on realtor.com, and it was a crappy shack). The insurance guy kept saying, "You're moving from the Chicago suburbs to HERE?" and "I know the street that you're moving on! Wow....Can I ask why again?" My DH is an attorney and I'm a professional as well, and I had to share this accurate information with the agent. It just didn't add up. The agent kept asking specific questions and I had to keep coming up with more and more lies. The whole shop ended up taking two hours, left me with no dignity, and the follow up emails and calls were ridiculous.

Last week, I got called to do this shop again, and I just laughed. No. Way.

Tracie
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  9:30:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SusanToonces

i just found another addition to the Ten Foot Pole list.

A movie job. But you only get ONE ticket! And you have to make a purchase at the concession stand and get a RECEIPT!

Yeah, right.

I actually like this shop scenario. I prefer to go to the movies by myself. I prefer to use my credit card, thereby producing a receipt. Works for me!

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

DLampkin
Star Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
283 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  7:06:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I first started as a shopper years ago, all I did was movie theater shops, and I loved it. In fact, I'm hoping I'll come across more of these, but I haven't seen any. Also, just because reimbursement is only for one ticket, it doesn't always mean that you cannot bring someone, unless the job specifically states that you can't. I recall bringing my cousin with me once.

My personal ten-foot pole is any kind of fast food place. I wouldn't eat fast food normally, so I'm not about to seek it out just for reimbursement.
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  8:07:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I go with my girlfriend for girls' night out and since we usually pay for our own tickets and food, it wasn't a problem. That theater chain has a reward program and I happened to get a free small drink, so I gave my friend the coupon and I stood in a different line to ms the required scenario.

My 10' was the $1 reimbursement office supply store purchase. Why can't I buy a candy bar? The cheapest pen cost $1.49, plus 7% tax.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
351 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  10:19:56 PM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Fri., I received a shop available letter that had pared the time slot down to 1/2 hr., from 17:30 to 18:00 on a specific date and only listed the zip code, which is one of if not the largest in my county. It's a pizza job that doesn't pay a fee and requires one to purchase a specific topping.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  06:29:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yikes! picky, picky, picky!!

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

ChrisThomas
Valued Contributor

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  07:36:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As for the office supply store, look at the 3x5 index cards. .99
I have a stack of them now but they can come in handy for grocery lists etc.
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  08:36:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
New 10 foot poler:

"Get your brakes checked for free"....Wait for an hour....be told your car needs over $1000 repairs...Get blown off when you decline their services...write an extensive report....and get a whoooping $12.

What was I thinking???

Judi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums