Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  08:59:18 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ms Judi;
LOL ... add to that being remembered from a visit as a true customer with a different car three years earlier.
Fortunately my shop was not as bad as yours, but I doubt I will repeat the shop due to their good memories. They will surely remember all the exterior things they were gigged for following my visit. Most of them were surely assigned to those who could not find something to do.

Yes, I was paid to be picky Cilla.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

DLampkin
Star Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  09:57:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsJudi
"Get your brakes checked for free"....Wait for an hour....be told your car needs over $1000 repairs...Get blown off when you decline their services...write an extensive report....and get a whoooping $12.

What was I thinking???

~~DLampkin~~
Go to Top of Page

Kathee
Apprentice

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  7:33:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some of you have me laughing away with your shop complaints.
Definitely not my worst shop, but still one I will only do when I am really dying for pizza -- one where you get a free pizza but before you eat it you have to turn it upside down, then cut it up and make little perpendicular walls with it, and photo it. By the time I'm done with all that it doesn't look like anything someone would want to eat!
Go to Top of Page

SusanToonces
Valued Contributor

Queens, NY
USA
167 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  07:02:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember a few years ago, there was talk of a gynecology shop.

I'm not going to say another word! 0-:

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Brenda C

Aberdeen, NJ
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  07:06:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Same here with the brake inspection shop! I had an appointment, still waited another hour, took car apart, suggested hundreds of dollars worth of work, showed me the questionable brakes plus other work, I declined it all, they were NOT happy, I was almost late for my REAL JOB, I paced back and forth until they took their sweet time to put the car back together again. Then to boot, I find out an acquaintance of mine works there now, and he kept offering to take me to my other job if I would only let them keep my car and do the work! Come home that evening from my other job to write the very detailed report with narrative explaining all this.. all for $12!? Needless to say, I can NEVER go back there again!

Shopping Jersey!
Go to Top of Page

Heather C.
Valued Contributor

Montreal
Canada
196 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  6:20:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Definitely the $5 movie theater jobs where you have to buy your own ticket. I work for another MS company who also schedules similar jobs in the same local movie theater except they pay me triple the amount, I get into the movies for free, and there's no reports to write up.

Heather
Go to Top of Page

John MrBeth
Valued Contributor

Mount Laurel, NJ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  6:26:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The brake shops.....boo
They offer a free brake inspection...big deal!! Every repair shop will inspect you for free. So you take the time to make the appt., take the time to drive round trip, wait at the repair shop, then take the time to file a report....sounds to me like working below minimum wage for your time.

John
Southern NJ
Professional Couple
Both Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  7:00:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now if they would offer free brakes, that would be a horse of a different color!!! You are right. Any reputable mechanic will inspect your brakes for free. My mechanic had already told me mine were fine, but the light was on, so I wanted to see what "the client" had to say.. more out of curiosity and to see if they would really look for things that could add up. Well, they sure did. I left there shaking.....

Judi
Go to Top of Page

SusanToonces
Valued Contributor

Queens, NY
USA
167 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  7:34:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually did a brake job years ago that I got paid something like $100 for my job. I needed a brake job anyhow and this got me $100 off the bill.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  7:58:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Re: brake shops

If you are having actual brake problems, those are good shops to have. I always get at least three quotes when doing major work, so I use that as one of my quotes.

At least they have wi-fi now. You can go on-line if you don't want to watch the TV.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  3:46:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SusanToonces

I remember a few years ago, there was talk of a gynecology shop.

I'm not going to say another word! 0-:

Not a shop, but another way to make money....I once looked into being a gynecology model for a medical school...the class takes turns practicing on you. I was in college and did a lot of wacky things to get by but I turned this down flat.
I personally would do a mystery shop on this - you have to do it anyways, why not get paid for it, but that's just me.
Go to Top of Page

Minerva

AZ
USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  9:33:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LisaOV

Not a shop, but another way to make money....I once looked into being a gynecology model for a medical school...the class takes turns practicing on you. I was in college and did a lot of wacky things to get by but I turned this down flat.
I personally would do a mystery shop on this - you have to do it anyways, but not get paid for it, but that's just me.

A GYN shop? You couldn't pay me enough to do that. I don't even like going to my regular appt once a year so going to multiple shops for that ... well, not even for a bonus!

Now a GYN model .. I did a lot of crazy things in college too when I was young and broke but that's a little too wacky for me.

Minerva
Southern Arizona
Go to Top of Page

PamBam
Star Contributor

Schaumburg, IL
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  12:51:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not I read the last few posts and thought, "That sounds like Lisa." Ta da! Lisa, I sure hope I get to meet you one day. :-)

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping domestic and international locations since 2003
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  1:20:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL Pam! Actually after I wrote all that I starting looking to see if I could find work as a GYN model...why not?
Let's be thankful that they DO practice on someone!!!
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  12:05:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The current post office shops. They're simple yet simultaneously full of potential for trouble with routine, normal variations. From what I'm reading here, if the staff does something great for customer service but bad for adhering to the guidelines (like recommending a flat-rate shipping box), the shopper does not get paid. It does not appear to be enough to simply report what happened that deviated from the script.

Almost like the sort of shop that will have the Dept of Labor challenge the status of shoppers as independent contractors, too. (That's another topic.)

It's sad, because I really like the company doing the shops!

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  6:34:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I must respectfully disagree with you Susan. If you follow the instructions as written (and bolded, and underlined), the shops should be paid. There is one exception in which some wiggle room is allowed, but the instructions are very specific as to what is and is not allowed. I think the problem is that so many of us did them for the last MSC and they became almost rote. Therefore, you need to think on your feet more (i.e. blaming your possibly out of the ordinary request on a control freak boss (not too far from the truth)), but sticking to your guns on getting what you requested. You thank them for their consideration but in the end you are the customer and what you want to pay for is what you should get. The other issue is that you are no longer shipped all of the materials (again, no longer rote) so you need to work harder at preparing exactly as required. Now, if you have a need to ship on a regular basis, it is a really good deal. I ship for free for my business and I had to split an order this time so I was able to have someone else pay for Part B of my shipping and it didn't come out of my profit. I don't think that people should get scared away from the shops at all, just pay attention and follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be OK. Also, be prepared with a cover story that will allow you enforce your wishes without being obvious and you'll be fine. In the end, it's up to us as shoppers to follow the guidelines as that is what we agreed to do, not up to the employee to do what they wish. However, the MSC is very clear as to the circumstances which will cause nonpayment so it's not like it's a surprise or anything. I guess I view it as similar to having to "loiter" for a specific period of time in a small store. It may seem awkward to me, but that is what I agreed to in order to be paid for the shop. So, I just make sure I have a plausible excuse, bide my time, follow the rules, and get paid.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

LisaSTL
Star Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
733 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  6:48:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Susan, those shops have been discussed soooo much and they are on a lot of people's ten foot pole list My attitude is that many people can't be wrong!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  6:52:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with Karen. My biggest "problem" has been the occasional post office visit which takes a long time because there is a long line of people or because one person comes in with several packages and each one needs customs forms, etc.

The large box, low weight (type C) shipments are the hardest ones to prepare, but after a few tries, I came up with a way to suspend the items in the middle of the box in an inexpensive manner. I do feel sorry for the food banks who get a big box with a little over 2 pounds of food in it. When the MSC came up with the list of what to ship, they apparently forgot that a large box is heavy.

I have a reason in mind for these scenarios, but as Karen said, it is a matter of thinking in advance and then being ready. I hesitate telling you how easy all of these are, because I would rather not be competing with more people for them.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  7:41:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harvey S.

When the MSC came up with the list of what to ship, they apparently forgot that a large box is heavy.
Not necessarily. You can put a very large stuffed animal in a large box. As a child, I had a stuffed animal that large that would not have weighed that much.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  7:49:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Rita -

The point is that the MSC requires that the TOTAL package weigh within x pounds plus or minus a half-of a pound. That includes that you are shipping plus the weight of the box. But their suggestions of what to ship just over x pounds, not including the box. So, if you subtract the weight of the box, there isn't much weight left to use to ship food to the food bank. I don't deny that stuffed animals are light. But I am not allowed to ship just a stuffed animal to a food bank, and buying a large stuffed animal would cost more than the shop pays even if I just wanted to use it as padding.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums