Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  7:23:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Krieger

Yeah, I have to say the mailing shops are a ten foot pole shop. The fact that I have to go to the store and buy my own box and $1.50 covers a box a bit smaller than what I like. I then go mail what I want mailed and I worked it out to 1 lb 3 oz which is rounded to 2 lbs. The requirement is to have 1 lb and its tough to get right on that 1 lb rate so there needs to be a bit of a cushion. So $2.85 comes out of my pocket as that's what I went over for a location that was reasonable. Good thing I took it with a $5 bonus to begin with.

Mike - if I understand you correctly about the weight you used, I'd question the reimbursement if I were you. The one I did stated at least 1 lb. so I was at 1 lb, 4 oz. When the shop was graded my reimbursed amount was adjusted to exactly what I paid for shipping that weight box. If your log doesn't show that, dispute it. It also could be that your shop is not yet graded so the amount is not showing the adjusted amount yet. HTH!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  10:17:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mike -

The requirement is that the package weigh at least a pound. The rate is the same for a package which weighs 1 lb 1 ounce and one which weighs 1 lb 15 ounces, assuming both are going to the same place. The instructions clearly show how much they will reimburse for a package traveling to Zones 1, 2, 3, and 4, and a package weighing up to 1 lb 15 ounces will be fully covered by the $5.95 post office fee (no secret as to the cost, you can look it up at http://postcalc.usps.gov/

So you don't have to hit the weight exactly. Of course, if you ship to zones 5, 6, 7, or 8 the cost is going to be higher. A package weighing 1 lb 15 ounces shipped to Zone 8 will cost $10.20 which is more than they will reimburse, but receiving $5.95 means that if you have a reason to ship to Zone 8, you get a discount. The cost for insurance (up to $50) and delivery confirmation is constant regardless of distance sent.

I have not had a single problem. I read and follow the directions. I have been buying a few boxes at a time at Staples (each on a separate receipt) so that I minimize the time and effort to acquire boxes (for which they reimburse up to $1.50 each). I think this is a great assignment, and wish there were more assignable post offices close enough for me to get to them during their weekday open hours, or on Saturday mornings (alas, some have limited weekday hours and are closed on Saturday).

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Mike Krieger
Star Contributor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  06:37:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, I shipped to zone 5 for $7.90 after checking my records. It seems like the reimbursement did not get adjusted to reflect new 2011 rates for priority mail, etc. I agree that it is not a bad deal if I must ship something, but wouldn't do it to just do the shop.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Dee

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  06:32:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My 10 Foot Pole Shop has morphed into a 10 Foot Pole MSC.

After successfully completing thousands of shops, I stupidly accepted the mailing shop. Yes, after dozens of posts warning, "Beware of the B---" ( you can fill in the rest), I needed to mail something that would have cost me a max of $2.95 if I did it on my own. Ended up costing me $7.95, plus time and effort driving to an out of area Post Office, and completing the report.
Like many others, my shop was "excluded".
The subsequent responses from the company is similar to what you have see here, and what others experience.
Definitely a one and done with this MSC.

Sandra Dee
Go to Top of Page

Raymond E
Valued Contributor

Gilbert, AZ
USA
159 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  06:05:01 AM  Visit Raymond E's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandra Dee

My 10 Foot Pole Shop has morphed into a 10 Foot Pole MSC.

After successfully completing thousands of shops, I stupidly accepted the mailing shop. Yes, after dozens of posts warning, "Beware of the B---" ( you can fill in the rest), I needed to mail something that would have cost me a max of $2.95 if I did it on my own. Ended up costing me $7.95, plus time and effort driving to an out of area Post Office, and completing the report.
Like many others, my shop was "excluded".
The subsequent responses from the company is similar to what you have see here, and what others experience.
Definitely a one and done with this MSC.

I have to be honest $5 was enough to ruin your relationship with this MSC?

Raymond
MPSA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JeffInIL
Star Contributor

IL
USA
310 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  09:54:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond E

The OP noted that the MSC excluded her shop, which means she was out more than $5. I would argue it was the MSC that ruined a relationship with the shopper.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

SheenaC

CT
USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  10:25:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A certain do it yourself furniture shop. The bonus got bigger and was told the shop report was not as long anymore. Never again. No matter how bored I get. It just doesn't make sense for me to do these anymore. I rather take for 4 small ones to make up for the money.

Sheena
Shopping CT
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  05:49:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In general, my pole-list gets longer as the fees drop. Assignments that I used to do, and liked, just are not worth the effort for the pay anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
362 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  07:36:37 AM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
This morning, I received a shop available notice listing the following conditions:

1-This Weds. only
2-02:00 PM to 04:00 PM only
3-Requires a $20 NON-reimbursed purchase
4-Fee is $15.95, BUT, there's a $2.95 expense; NET=$13.

If ever I weren't interested in a shop, this would certainly be the occasion.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

CathyInCA
Contributor

CA
USA
96 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  10:03:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bob, I think the shop you are referring to is a gift card purchase. It is a bank card, so it can be used almost anywhere. That means you are really making $13 since you get to keep and use the gift card.

In addition, this MSC pays very quickly and you don't need to spend much time at the location. Only downside to these shops is that the report takes a bit longer than most.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1877 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  9:16:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffInIL

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond E

The OP noted that the MSC excluded her shop, which means she was out more than $5. I would argue it was the MSC that ruined a relationship with the shopper.

Plus, it's about more than the money. It's a trust thing. There are schedulers for whom I would drive an extra hundred miles because I know they'll remember me. There are others whose character shows in the first shop.

Fool me once, shame on you...

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  9:24:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My ten foot pole shop is a price audit at a subsidiary store of a big chain, a huge home decor and renovation center. I took it because it paid $25 and that seemed like good money. I drove an hour there, scheduling a route ending with that location.

The audit took me about 2 1/2 hours to do, walking around with the store manager and scanning 100 items for entry on a form. We got it done five minutes before the 5pm deadline stated in the guidelines.

That was the most grueling $25 I've ever earned on a shop. I did this thing in a walking boot with a sprained ankle; I didn't use an electric cart because I felt bad for the manager having to walk around and thought I might seem unprofessional for using a cart. Man, my feet still hurt just to think about it!

At least the only data entry was the items that scanned incorrectly, so 2/100, and quick.

Live and learn! And if I had it to do over again (heavily, mightily bonused), I would USE THE CART.
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  9:39:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did one once, took two hours and it is definitely a 10' pole for me. I won't do it even again, even bonused.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Joyce A H1
Valued Contributor

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  10:05:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually liked these and had done up to three in a day. We had it down to 45 minutes and when I came in they gave me the same associates to work with. We had a great working relationship going, and buzzed through the store. Then they dropped the fee on the shop and I have not done one in a couple of years.

Joyce
MSPA Gold Certified
Video Shopping OR/WA since 2004
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  11:16:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If I hadn't tried to be brave and just admitted I needed reasonable accommodation by way of the electric cart, it might have been another story. The manager was great and we joked around a lot while doing the audit. She said she's never had the same auditor come back; people usually do it once and that must be enough. Almost makes me want to do another one, just so I can make her laugh when she sees I came back for more.
Go to Top of Page

YClayborne
Contributor

Gloucester, VA
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  06:58:06 AM  Visit YClayborne's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My 10 foot pole shops would be the fast food pricing audit shops. Sitting in a parking lot like looking dumb with a pair of binoculars on your eyes while stupids drive around asking if they can help me. On top of that not getting paid with stupid excuse after even more stupider excuse Never again. Never again!!

Yolanda
Go to Top of Page

TerryCorsello
Contributor

Rochester Hills, Mi
USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  10:21:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
With those I had the most luck taking pictures and doing them later, but it can be a pain. One fuzzy picture and you have to go back.

Silver Certified in Rochester Hills, Mi... I Love audits!! Send me more!
Go to Top of Page

DLampkin
Star Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  6:48:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CathyInCA

Bob, I think the shop you are referring to is a gift card purchase. It is a bank card, so it can be used almost anywhere. That means you are really making $13 since you get to keep and use the gift card.
That doesn't make sense. If you have to outlay $20 to buy the giftcard, you are not making $13 profit. You are getting paid $13 against the $20 you've already bought, which means it cost you $7. So what if you can use the gift card? Sure, you can buy $20 worth of stuff, but you can always get things marked down for less and you still have to pay something you didn't get back. I prefer to be paid beyond what I put into something. Besides, that gift card would probably sit on my shelf forgotten until it expired. I don't need purchases like that. I'm broke and leaning toward never doing shops that require a purchase again. Or very rarely.
Go to Top of Page

CathyInCA
Contributor

CA
USA
96 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  8:30:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
DLampkin, It's a Visa gift card that can be used anyplace that accepts Visa. I usually use them within a few days at the grocery store for groceries I would have normally paid $20 cash for.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

DLampkin
Star Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
289 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:01:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CathyInCA

DLampkin, It's a Visa gift card that can be used anyplace that accepts Visa. I usually use them within a few days at the grocery store for groceries I would have normally paid $20 cash for.

I know what it is. But that $20 of groceries or whatever I would use the card for, still costs $7. I want shops that reimburse me completely and pay a fee on top of that. Partial reimbursements are just not worth my time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums