Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Jason N.
Apprentice

Chicago, Illinois
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:44:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Right now - test drives for luxury automobiles (or any other luxury/high-end shops). I don't have a car worth at least $7,500, and even if I did, I couldn't do a convincing acting job as a wealthy person.

- Shopping Chicago, its suburbs, Rockford, and parts of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Kenosha/Racine, Madison, Janesville, Elkhorn/Delavan)!
- Mystery shopping since February 2010
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  03:51:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm broke, too. But I agree with Cathy and use the card for something I need like gas. They're almost as good as cash and I take whatever jobs I can get. It's slow here in Cleveland.
Go to Top of Page

Nicole P.
Valued Contributor

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  10:26:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Although this particular shop only shows up in my area once a year, I too, have never seen the particular "value" to it. If I wanted to use a GC instead of my debit card, I could go do the shop where you spend 5 minutes in a store that does only that kind of work, and they pay a fee and reimburse the GC fee on top of it.

Just because the card mentioned in this thread is worth $20 does not mean the card is worth $20 to me. To me, this is a ten-foot pole.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

CathyInCA
Contributor

CA
USA
96 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:49:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of my 10 foot pole shops is a beauty supply store where you need to ask 3 very specific scenario questions and the MSC doesnít tell you what they are until you accept the shop. I donít like to have to ask specific scenario questions in general, but 3 in one shop is too much. In addition, they can be questions that make no sense for the particular shopper to ask or they are embarrassing to ask. Once I made the mistake of accepting one of these shops but I cancelled as soon as I saw the scenario questions. I have not accepted a shop for this company since then. One of the scenarios was to ask for a product for thinning hair for myself, but I have thick hair. Another question was for a product to treat lice for myself; that was just too embarrassing to ask. And, these were supposed to be asked in the same shop with a 3rd question that I donít remember.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:52:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree, shops that don't disclose certain critical requirements up front are worrisome. At least the one for a certain company's hair club shops tell you that you must have at least some thinning in your hair so you can convincingly act concerned about it with them. I have thick hair, so knew right then that wasn't a shop for me, even at decent pay.
Go to Top of Page

Nicole P.
Valued Contributor

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  12:13:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CathyInCA

One of my 10 foot pole shops is a beauty supply store where you need to ask 3 very specific scenario questions and the MSC doesnít tell you what they are until you accept the shop. I donít like to have to ask specific scenario questions in general, but 3 in one shop is too much. In addition, they can be questions that make no sense for the particular shopper to ask or they are embarrassing to ask. Once I made the mistake of accepting one of these shops but I cancelled as soon as I saw the scenario questions. I have not accepted a shop for this company since then. One of the scenarios was to ask for a product for thinning hair for myself, but I have thick hair. Another question was for a product to treat lice for myself; that was just too embarrassing to ask. And, these were supposed to be asked in the same shop with a 3rd question that I donít remember.

I have never seen that shop, but I totally agree. This just screams shopper. "I am a thinning hair adult who also happens to have lice" and I have to ask this as separate questions? Someone in the corporate ivory tower at this client needs to leave their tower once in a while!

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  12:46:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does it really matter how thick your hair is? It could still be thinning for YOU even if it is thicker than someone else's hair. They wouldn't know your hair didn't used to be 20% thicker, no matter how thick your hair is now.

But yes, adding lice and some other problem on top is absurd.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

CathyInCA
Contributor

CA
USA
96 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  1:38:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nicole, I think this client is only in California.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  1:49:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
And the funny thing is, most companies tell you not to ask too many questions because it makes it obvious you're a shopper. Asking questions no normal customer would ask pegs you as one, too.

"Hi, excuse me, but do you have a product that can help my thinning hair? Oh, and I have lice. Not bad -- No, really, just a few! Why are you backing away? But anyway...What? That? No, no, that's dandruff, not lice on my shoulder. I also have dandruff. Speaking of which, do you have a product that would help me?"
Go to Top of Page

CathyInCA
Contributor

CA
USA
96 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  2:46:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't remember what the 3rd question was, but I think it was a fingernail question.

I think normal customers ask these questions, but not all at once.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Nicole P.
Valued Contributor

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  3:47:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CathyInCA

I don't remember what the 3rd question was, but I think it was a fingernail question.

I think normal customers ask these questions, but not all at once.

Yes, I agree with you. This way it just screams shopper. I guess I am lucky that this shop only exists in CA.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

Heather C.
Valued Contributor

Montreal
Canada
196 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  5:56:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does this beauty supply store require you to shop alone? Because I would bring a child with me and tell the salesperson the kid has lice, which would make the scenario more believable.

Heather
Go to Top of Page

Rene-R
Valued Contributor

Phoenix, AZ
USA
171 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  11:05:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Krieger

Yeah, I have to say the mailing shops are a ten foot pole shop... I worked it out to 1 lb 3 oz which is rounded to 2 lbs. The requirement is to have 1 lb and its tough to get right on that 1 lb rate so there needs to be a bit of a cushion. So $2.85 comes out of my pocket.

I totally agree. The item MUST be at least 16 oz, but if it's 17 oz then you are charged several dollars more, and they don't reimburse OVER 16 oz? How are you supposed to get it between 16 - 16.9 oz? Even the MSC suggests that you ship a 16 oz box of pasta, which with the packaging, would put you at 17 oz. They should require 16 oz and reimburse up to 1 lb 15 oz, IMO.

Gold shopping metro Phoenix & airports everywhere, since 2005. ~ Have Video equipment, will travel!
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:20:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
huh? every one of mine has been 1.x pounds and the entire shipping rate has been covered as long as it is within zones 1-4. The one time I shipped further away, I had to pay the overage, but I was expecting that. The overage cost was still cheaper than what it would have been if I had simply packaged it and sent it as inexpensively as possible on my own, so it was worth it to me.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:37:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The MSP reimburses the set amount for shipping as long as it is within the listed zones. Going over 17 oz does not increase the price by several dollars. I prefer for the package to be considerably over 1 lb so I'm sure it will be over the 1 pound requirement.

I'm confused with the figuring on the previous posts and believe it is incorrect. If I ship anything to a more distant zone, I expect to pay the difference, but it still saves me on shipping I would have spent anyway. I've never had a problem with reimbursement from them and they will also reimburse for the cost of the box if you need to purchase one. I don't think anyone would do these shops if it cost them out of pocket money to mail the package! What would be the sense of that??

Judi
Go to Top of Page

KathleenInCA

Los Angeles, CA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  07:50:52 AM  Send KathleenInCA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't mind that shop, even though it is indeed challenging to hit the right weight. Usually, though, I use it to mail things I wanted to anyway, and I don't worry about going over. I can understand why people would avoid the shop, though, if they didn't have family far away. I always have something to mail.
Go to Top of Page

PaigeMiller

Columbia, South Carolina
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  10:48:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm to the point now that when I see any shop that says "Fun" or "Easy" I'm already suspicious. "Fun" means I'm not offering enough money to get anyone with sense to do this job. "Easy" means you will spend 1 hour replying to redundant questions and explaining all no answers in the evaluation form.

Paige
Part-time shopper; shopping Columbia, SC and surrounding areas (happily un-certified).
Go to Top of Page

JenniferML
Valued Contributor

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  1:27:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shipping shops the were before the tax deadline. 15 minute wait today.
Go to Top of Page

VicW

Grosse Pointe, MI
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  08:35:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Purchase and return shops are really two shops. In most cases, that is not taken into account with the compensation. I will no longer work for a company that keeps lowering the payment for the same shop with same requirements, they didn't lower their rates to the client. They are just taking advantage of us.
Go to Top of Page

YClayborne
Contributor

Gloucester, VA
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  8:26:01 PM  Visit YClayborne's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
@ PaigeMiller EXACTLY!!
I am the same way those two words are always cause for suspicion.

Yolanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ģ Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums