Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

JonathanP

Allentown, PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:35:50 PM  Send JonathanP an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
One shop I've vowed NEVER to do again involves a modern furniture store (one laid out like a maze instead of a store). The shop fee of $55 seemed high enough; however, by the time it took both me and my wife working together (she entering the report as I relayed data to her via cell) over four hours and I was still in the store... and then another several hours writing and writing for all the various and sundry comment boxes, I finally actually handed the shop back. For that fee, 12 man-hours already spent, infinite more to go... you do it.

I've been shopping for 6 years and don't hand shops back very often.
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  08:44:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I stopped doing those, too, even though they built one of those stores right by my house. The first time was easy, but they changed the requirements and it got much harder.

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

SheenaC

CT
USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  10:29:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The furniture shops fees got up to 95 over here and I still not do them anymore. Whoever graded me was rude. I'm like I dont need to be abused after completing silly long report. NEVER AGAIN!!!! Its just ot worth it

Sheena
Shopping CT
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  10:36:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is this the store with the Swedish product names?
Go to Top of Page

Rene-R
Valued Contributor

Phoenix, AZ
USA
171 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  4:46:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonathanP

One shop I've vowed NEVER to do again involves a modern furniture store (one laid out like a maze instead of a store). The shop fee of $55 seemed high enough; however, by the time it took both me and my wife working together (she entering the report as I relayed data to her via cell) over four hours and I was still in the store... and then another several hours writing and writing for all the various and sundry comment boxes, I finally actually handed the shop back. For that fee, 12 man-hours already spent, infinite more to go... you do it.

I don't know anyone who does this shop a SECOND time. It's on the 10-foot-pole list of every shopper I know.

Actually I stopped shopping for the whole MSC bc I felt they intentionally misled me and other shoppers by quoting a time estimation that is 1/3 or 1/4 the amount of time it will actually take.

Gold shopping metro Phoenix & airports everywhere, since 2005. ~ Have Video equipment, will travel!
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  1:58:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kimberley

Is this the store with the Swedish product names?

That's the one I was talking about. I swear it wasn't that bad the first time I did it, but the second time was ridiculous! Never again!

SandiA
Go to Top of Page

John MrBeth
Valued Contributor

Mount Laurel, NJ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  10:15:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are several scenarios and MSC that ask you to be an upscale client: shop for an upscale car ($50,000 or more), jewelry for more than $10,000; etc. you get the idea. They expect you to be in business casual...... well, no one entering these stores/dealerships is biz casual any more; except the employees and M shopper. Then the pay is $20-25-PU.

John
Southern NJ
Professional Couple
Both Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  2:49:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rene-R
I don't know anyone who does this shop a SECOND time. It's on the 10-foot-pole list of every shopper I know.

I've done it several times. I've never found it to be outrageously difficult. Long and tedious, but right about 1.5-2 hours in store max and 1 hour reporting. That's still $18 per hour. I'm OK with that.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  4:32:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last week I spent five hours in that store to furnish my daughter's first apartment. I think I will shop them to make back some of my money. Hmmm...I need to shop them 23 times to break even.

>^..^< ::¤Connie¤::¤Gold Certified¤:: >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  4:33:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did this shop regularly when Customer Perspectives had it as a client. It was a long day, but was almost enjoyable..with the meatballs and all..LOL

However, with the change to a different company, I have not been able to complete the report in 1 hour..more like 5-6 hours +. I will not do it again..ever... well maybe if it paid an absolute fortune.

Sometimes in the store, the waits were over 20 minutes for assistance. YUK and I am very familiar with the store layout. If I kept moving and got help right away in most areas, I could be out of there in 2 1/2- 3 hours. Total of at least 8 hours = $12 per hour. They pay about $85-$90 here, but no thanks. You can have em all. I know I mentioned this before, but one time the return place was in another building across the street and I had bought a rather large thing. I had to put the roof down on my car to fit it in the car and get across the road to the return place (they were moving or refurbishing or something) At that point I wanted to throw up 'cause it was the end and I used to go out one door and right back in the other. Surprise surprise...where'd the return place go to??? I think that was the straw that broke my back with that shop. Shutter...shutter...shake...shake...

Servanne, you must be a speedy typist. I don't know how you can do the report in 1 hour with all the narratives required and departments to report on. Perhaps your store is smaller than those in the East or perhaps I labor over it too much. (most likely) Or perhaps, they've truly streamlined the report from the days when I last did it over a year ago. However, I'll stick to fast shops and easier reports. My attention span is dwindling these days. Unless I'm seeing numbers in the hundreds, I don't want to write a short novel.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  09:02:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The store near me has a layout that was apparently designed by someone who was heavily medicated. Never again!

SandiA
Go to Top of Page

Crystal Bleu
Apprentice

Chatsworth, CA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  10:47:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did some targeted auto insurance phone call shops that had to be recorded. I did three with no problem, but I could not get the target on the phone for the fourth one for the life of me. Every time I called, she was on the phone or with a client. I was always asked to leave a message or speak to someone else, but I couldn't do that since the call had to be recorded. I told the scheduler about the difficulty after five calls, and I was advised to just keep trying. After NINE calls, I gave up and told the scheduler that I could not keep calling this office all day, day after day.

Oh, and did I mention that the shop paid a whopping $10? $10 for 1 phone call, fine. For 9? No thank you.

Crystal Bleu
Silver Shopping the San Fernando Valley
Go to Top of Page

Netti
Valued Contributor

Hudson, FL
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  01:29:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hollister ! It would have been a lot less complicated, if this had been a reveal shop. This was more or less, an audit. I ended up emailing the MSC, telling them that I didn't complete it correctly. A ten-foot pole?? naw......They don't make poles long enough for this shop.

Silver Shopper - West Coast Florida
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  07:36:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystal Bleu

I did some targeted auto insurance phone call shops that had to be recorded. I did three with no problem, but I could not get the target on the phone for the fourth one for the life of me. Every time I called, she was on the phone or with a client. I was always asked to leave a message or speak to someone else, but I couldn't do that since the call had to be recorded. I told the scheduler about the difficulty after five calls, and I was advised to just keep trying. After NINE calls, I gave up and told the scheduler that I could not keep calling this office all day, day after day.

Oh, and did I mention that the shop paid a whopping $10? $10 for 1 phone call, fine. For 9? No thank you.

I'm done with those, too. A really nice company, but the calls can really disrupt your life, trying again and again and waiting for the return call.

SandiA
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  02:21:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystal Bleu

This makes me think this person had a time table when her company gets shopped and was ducking the call. It reminds me of targets in apartment shops where the target is an office manager or someone not doing the tours. They are next to impossible to get on the phone.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Raymond E
Valued Contributor

Gilbert, AZ
USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  7:38:06 PM  Visit Raymond E's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy spending time in the furniture store and always come up with new ideas. Honestly, the worst part for me was the report. I can get a bit ADD sometimes and it gets hard to fill out such a long detailed report without coming up with a million online distractions.

Raymond
MPSA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

KathleenInCA

Los Angeles, CA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  06:37:02 AM  Send KathleenInCA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The fancy coffee shop is turning into one of these for me. Not only do you have to ask a silly question, but the form has gotten completely messed up, where I'm not sure the MS company has any idea what it says anymore, based on the questions I'm getting.
Go to Top of Page

Vincent442
Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  09:14:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow I figure you must be typing about 500 words a minute and getting 16 reports done in about a minute to get these reports out in that time allotment.

Vincent
MSPA Gold
Shopping since 2001
Shopping from Kern County to the Mexican border."from the desert to the sea and all of Southern California".
Go to Top of Page

Vincent442
Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  11:24:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was specifically referring to the Import furniture shop. This by far is the longest single visit evaluation I've seen and longer than some Multi-day lodging shops I've completed. Compensation for this shop should be $150 MINIMUM plus food expenses reimbursed commensurate to the work required to complete it.

Vincent
MSPA Gold
Shopping since 2001
Shopping from Kern County to the Mexican border."from the desert to the sea and all of Southern California".
Go to Top of Page

Tristina

Derby City, KY
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2011 :  5:08:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are a few shops I would not touch with a ten-foot pole.

1. The pizza photo shop (even though you don't have to cut it up and flip it over and stand the slices up and silliness like that anymore). Why would I not touch it? First of all, they set you up to be identified as a shopper when they say you have to ask about specials, but then decline any offer of a special/discount, instead opting to pay full price for the medium pizza. Second, they refused to pay me for a shop for which they said the photos could not be used because they were not clear enough. The photos looked perfectly clear to me, and I used an $800 Canon automatic focus camera to take the photos. Finally, they also rejected a shop because they claimed they could not open the photo files I sent, even though the files were all in jpeg format, and when I opened the files from my sent mail folder, they opened and displayed perfectly fine on two different computers. And I had never had that problem before, though I've always used the same camera, same computer, same e-mail system.

2. Any shop paying $10 or under, unless I am going to be at that establishment anyway and it has a quick and simple report.

3. Any shops from Franchise Compliance, Inc. No response to e-mails after you wait months to be reimbursed upwards of $100 for their in-home shop.

4. That dry cleaning shop where you have to have one item with a missing button (laundered shirt), a second item with a removable stain and some other minor issue on a third item. That cleaner ruined a Ralph Lauren skirt I had just purchased and only wore once. Whatever they did to it, it was returned to me looking as though some type of rough friction was used on it, wearing it thin, almost to the point of holes in a few spots.

5. Any shop requiring long, extensive training that takes up en exorbitant amount of time, only to be paid an insignificant amount for the shop. Some bank shops and small purchase boutique shops are included there.

Tristina
Gold Certified 2004
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums