Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Ms.Baker
Valued Contributor

Evansville, IN
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  10:40:50 PM  Visit Ms.Baker's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
One shop I am avoiding is the postal shop doing scenario C.

I did one. One was enough. You have to buy a box (reimbursed), put in three cans of food (not reimbursed), fill the box with bubble wrap or peanuts (not reimbursed), label and tape it shut. Then live without the $40 for a month waiting for the reimbursement.

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Baker
Valued Contributor

Evansville, IN
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  10:46:15 PM  Visit Ms.Baker's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tristina

4. That dry cleaning shop where you have to have one item with a missing button (laundered shirt), a second item with a removable stain and some other minor issue on a third item. That cleaner ruined a Ralph Lauren skirt I had just purchased and only wore once. Whatever they did to it, it was returned to me looking as though some type of rough friction was used on it, wearing it thin, almost to the point of holes in a few spots.

Hi there,

I've seen those postings and wondered if they were worth the time/effort to use to finish filling a shopping day in that city. It's good to see what you thought of the shop.

Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  08:18:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The dry cleaning shop here was for an upscale hoity toity cleaner that specialized in expensive garments. What did I know! I figured it was a cheap chain and I didn't want to bring anything "good" for them to clean because I didn't trust them to do a good job. So,I took my son's Costco pants that he played golf in. They were really stained at the cuffs and ratty looking. I was quite embarrassed as the fellow was going over the pants with a fine toothed comb. Those pants never looked so good as when I got them back....all wrapped up nice with tissue paper on the hanger. I've not done it again, but I would do it again. I'll just bring bettter stuff this time...and hope they don't ruin it. LOL

Judi
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  2:16:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I recall a "fun and easy" job where I had to interact with three people in three different departments, then make a small purchase. The shop took 1-1/2 hours and paid $10. After I paid for the small purchase and my gas, I was already in the hole. So, I made nothing for the time printing and studying the instructions, the time it took to drive to and from the location, and enter the report. It is the only truly negative shop moneywise I have ever done. I have had some where I made only $1 or $2 but never be completely underwater.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  2:38:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How about having to purchase a laptop computer and then have to convince the store to give you the unopened box when for free, they will open the box, make sure the laptop is working, and install free software. Then return it the next day. Returning it is actually relatively easy because if you have passed step #1, you have a sealed box. You just need a plausible reason for why you want to return it.

The problem is that no one buys a laptop or desktop and turns down the chance to make sure that it is working before leaving the store.

Has anyone done this and felt like doing it a second time? I did it once, and will not do it a second time. It was just too hard getting them to leave the laptop in pristine shape when I bought it. It required a manager to talk to me and for him to sign off on it.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
917 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  2:58:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harvey S.
It required a manager to talk to me and for him to sign off on it.

oh yeah, that sounds easy to do and still remain anonymous and unremembered.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  4:53:38 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
The problem is that no one buys a laptop or desktop and turns down the chance to make sure that it is working before leaving the store.

I can't speak to the shop as I've never done it, but I can speak to the above sentence.

For every computer I have bought, I have always turned down their offer to test the computer, install programs, and "clean up" the pre-installed junk on it. The reason is that I have a full version of Windows 7, Office 2007, McAfee, and other software that I use. While I will test the computer to make sure it's working when I first get home, then moment I see it works, I reformat the hard drive and manually install everything myself. This way I can go through all the settings as I install the programs and put things the way I want them.

Maybe that will help you in the future for this shop. Just let them know that you have all the programs already and want to install them yourself.

As for returning the computer, what about simply saying that after you got home, you happened to find a better model online that was on sale for $XXX less than what you had just bought. Then if they try to discount the computer to you or offer to upgrade you, just let them know you have already ordered the other one and therefore are no longer interested.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  5:01:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alan -

Good suggestions. I blamed my son the computer geek "who wants to install Linux", but the chain store basically automatically opens the box and verifies that it is working. I could see how someone could easily run into trouble. I might try it again using your suggestion - in another store location.

Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  5:36:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote

quote:

Did this shop once, actually had no problems, but due to stores' returns tracking systems would never attempt it again at the same or a sister store anywhere. Would definitely send up the red flags and sirens!

I just told the associate that I would be beta testing a new OS, and asked if I could bring the unit back in later for them to install their freeware then. Then I acted like I was in a hurry, told them I wanted a sealed box to be sure everything was in it. Paid cash, no probs.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  2:17:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never done a shop where I had to buy a laptop and then return it. But, I think if I did, I would tell the salesman I did not want them to open it because I planned to give it as a gift and wanted it unopened. I did not want it to appear I got it as a gift and then decided to recycle it.

As for returning it, I would just say I decided not to give the gift afterall.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  2:46:15 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
The gift thing is a great idea, Juanita.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

BKBerger
Valued Contributor

Porterville, CA
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  8:41:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Has anyone done this and felt like doing it a second time? I did it once, and will not do it a second time. It was just too hard getting them to leave the laptop in pristine shape when I bought it. It required a manager to talk to me and for him to sign off on it.

The big-box store ran into a LOT of flak on the geek boards for the $50 software install that you could NOT refuse. It was next to impossible to find ANY units for sale without the addon installed.

I would not do any shops at that retailer myself.

Harvey S - I find many issues trying to use 100% Linux while MS... I have had to use another system to complete reports less frequently the last year and that would be another topic...

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  3:36:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
BKBerger -

I mentioned my son wanting to install Linux as a cover story at the store. By the way, it was not the Big Box store, but rather the "Easy" store, which is the largest of its type.

I have no intention of using a Linux machine to complete MS assignments. I already have to deal with two MSCs which will simply not work with Firefox, so I have to use IE. I got a notice from one MSC that I would have to roll back to IE 7, luckily I had not rolled forward to IE 8 yet.

Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Lori CA
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  6:17:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Harvey,

Here's an idea based on my actual experience a few weeks ago. My notebook died after eight+ years of good service. I also work as a medical editor, and was on deadline for a big job. I went into the big blue store, told the salesperson my situation, and said that I needed to get home and back to work with a new computer right away. He mentioned the $50 deal, but after I told him that it was my sixth or seventh computer and I knew how to set it up, he didn't push it. I was out the door with a sealed box in no time, and the computer is working perfectly.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Dee

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  7:58:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My list:
(All True, but all in fun and tongue in cheek)
-Any postal shop by the "B" for "Bad to the Bone" Company.
-New Car dealership shops for the "I" for the "Ingrate" Company - No amount of begging will remove the memories of writing for 2 hours, only to be reprimanded for not writing enough.
-Any shop from Goodwin,Franchise Compliance, JM Ridgeway, and anyone else who made me chase payment.
Any shop that makes me send back entrées; (a side dish I can handle, a $40 perfectly fine entrée - oh no you don't)
Shops that makes me return an item "Exactly X days after purchase", Shops that have to be entered within 6 hours of shop -- Yeah right.
And lastly, Shops that put me, my anonymity, and/or my credit in danger of any kind.

Sandra Dee
Go to Top of Page

Nicole P.
Valued Contributor

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  12:03:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan-Texas

quote:

I can't speak to the shop as I've never done it, but I can speak to the above sentence.

For every computer I have bought, I have always turned down their offer to test the computer, install programs, and "clean up" the pre-installed junk on it. The reason is that I have a full version of Windows 7, Office 2007, McAfee, and other software that I use. While I will test the computer to make sure it's working when I first get home, then moment I see it works, I reformat the hard drive and manually install everything myself. This way I can go through all the settings as I install the programs and put things the way I want them.

Maybe that will help you in the future for this shop. Just let them know that you have all the programs already and want to install them yourself.

As for returning the computer, what about simply saying that after you got home, you happened to find a better model online that was on sale for $XXX less than what you had just bought. Then if they try to discount the computer to you or offer to upgrade you, just let them know you have already ordered the other one and therefore are no longer interested.

For every computer I have purchased from 1992 on, and there have been many of them, I have never left a store with an opened box. Like Alan, I have not done this shop. I have never even seen it offered. I probably would not consider doing it if it was. But I cannot imagine leaving a store with an open box for a computer product. That is me. I can understand that what works for me might not be the case for everyone, and that for some people, it would be far more comforting to know everything was set up correctly. However, you don't need to do it, even if it is true for your real life, if it is a shop.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  07:40:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a new 10ft poler...The "Quick and Easy Office Store"

Print 16 pages of instructions and 16 pages of form. Look for and count the number of all types of computers, desktops, laptops, netbooks, Macs, Windows etc (well over 40 in the store I did) Check connections, screen displays, check for a large amount of POP, interact with a rep for a whopping $11.

And, unlike my past experiences in this store, the reps were all over me to offer assistance while I was trying to count and test screens.

Are they kidding me? Never again.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

Heather C.
Valued Contributor

Montreal
Canada
196 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  08:53:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsJudi

I have a new 10ft poler...The "Quick and Easy Office Store"

Print 16 pages of instructions and 16 pages of form. Look for and count the number of all types of computers, desktops, laptops, netbooks, Macs, Windows etc (well over 40 in the store I did) Check connections, screen displays, check for a large amount of POP, interact with a rep for a whopping $11.

And, unlike my past experiences in this store, the reps were all over me to offer assistance while I was trying to count and test screens.

Are they kidding me? Never again.

I just did that shop recently. It took me so long to count all the computers because the rep kept interrupting me to offer information on the computers. Then afterwards when I went to fill out the report in my car, I forgot some of the figures since we weren't allowed to write them down in the store. So I had to go back and do a recount.

The report itself was short and easy to fill out but when it came to uploading the receipt, I ran into problems so my report wasn't submitted by the deadline and the MSC cancelled my shop. Fortunately the scheduler gave me a second chance to re-submit my report. The trouble I went through to do this shop was so not worth the $11. It's going to take a HUGE bonus for me to consider doing this type of shop again.

Heather
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  12:24:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am currently finishing the Mexican FF merchandising audits that are supposedly only 30-40 minutes including input. Never again, especially for the money! Anyone else frustrated with these? Sure, they're easy, but mine are taking much longer than 40 minutes. Maybe I just don't keyboard fast enough.

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

CourtneyH

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  1:06:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You mean with info about the menuboards, counting windows and tables etc? I've done 10 and would pick up 10 more in a heartbeat - I'm running ~10 min onsite and ~10 min data entry (the first 2-3 took longer than that though), What part is taking so long?

Courtney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums