Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  1:39:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did some of the Mexican FF ones. The biggest pain was having to call the day before and try to have the manager understand what you are talking about. As far as I can tell, no one ever told the manager the next day that anyone ever called. And one mgr refused to let me do the audit, but it took 10 minutes for the cashier and mgr to make a decision. SO, I just stood there and completed the inside audit (but had to remember the numbers). Then I made the required purchase, which gave me a few more minutes. Then I went outside and, while standing on public property, completed the rest of the audit.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Joyce A H1
Valued Contributor

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  1:45:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harvey S.

I did some of the Mexican FF ones. The biggest pain was having to call the day before and try to have the manager understand what you are talking about. As far as I can tell, no one ever told the manager the next day that anyone ever called. And one mgr refused to let me do the audit, but it took 10 minutes for the cashier and mgr to make a decision. SO, I just stood there are completed the inside audit (but had to remember the numbers). Then I made the required purchase, which gave me a few more minutes. Then I went outside and, while standing on public property, completed the rest of the audit.

I had two do this to me, I left, reported what happen, I get paid for the attempts and now if I return will get paid again.

Joyce
MSPA Gold Certified
Video Shopping OR/WA since 2004
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  1:51:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Joyce -

That was my original intent: just report that I was refused permission and buy the required fast food to prove I was there. But they kept me waiting so long for a decision, that I just started counting out of habit. In the report, I explained exactly what happened.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Joyce A H1
Valued Contributor

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  4:27:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was going to do what you did, but was so frustrated by their lack of management by the end of the ordeal. I left thinking no pay for the trouble and surprised. This is one place that really needs shoppers coming in to assist with improving customer service. All of the others I completed were polite, may not have been organized, but polite.

Joyce
MSPA Gold Certified
Video Shopping OR/WA since 2004
Go to Top of Page

Terren
Valued Contributor

Brandon, FL
USA
120 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  5:45:40 PM  Send Terren an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyH

You mean with info about the menuboards, counting windows and tables etc? I've done 10 and would pick up 10 more in a heartbeat - I'm running ~10 min onsite and ~10 min data entry (the first 2-3 took longer than that though), What part is taking so long?

Ditto to that. I have had no problems.

GOLD *x1z1xl*
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  7:08:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not having problems, per se, it's just that answering 80 questions takes longer than I expected.

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  08:55:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
OMG, the office shop that I complained about earlier...I went to the wrong store. I rarely do that and just have to shake my head at myself. I stared at the address many times and it never clicked that it was not the one I was shopping..(it was on the same road in the same town) But anyway, it just figures that it was a shop that took FOREVER for me to do...I won't be reshopping...I'll be moving on. Maybe they'll use the report for the other store of the same brand that I did, the one with mega numbers of computers...

Judi
Go to Top of Page

Tracie
Valued Contributor

Oswego, IL
USA
235 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  1:43:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just saw two for places that if they were typical mystery shops, I'd be excited to shop (a children's clothing store and a major retailer), but they are not typical. For the children's clothing store, you have to make up a story about how you need $300 worth of children's clothes and then say you can't afford it. You have to be told about credit and then wait as the clerk starts the application. Then, at the last minute, you have to make up an excuse why you have to go, and leave all of the merchandise on the counter. How incredibly obvious. And awkward.

Tracie
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  2:26:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ewww. I have known people with the temperament and personality to pull off something like that - in life, never mind for a shop - but that's definitely one I'd have to pass.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  7:16:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Whoever wrote that scenario should have to complete some of the jobs themselves!
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  7:16:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tracie

I just saw two for places that if they were typical mystery shops, I'd be excited to shop (a children's clothing store and a major retailer), but they are not typical. For the children's clothing store, you have to make up a story about how you need $300 worth of children's clothes and then say you can't afford it. You have to be told about credit and then wait as the clerk starts the application. Then, at the last minute, you have to make up an excuse why you have to go, and leave all of the merchandise on the counter. How incredibly obvious. And awkward.

It's actually really easy, especially if you can pull off "ditz". Just before going into the store put all of your cards in your pocket or a closed area of your purse. Then when you go to pay get a really sheepish look on your face and tell them that you changed purses the other day (used a clutch, took just a wallet to a street fair, summer purse, etc.) and you forgot to put things back in your wallet. Most of the time the clerk will empathize with you because they've done the same thing. If they offer to put the items on hold, agree, then exit the store. The rotation is long enough that they won't remember you the next time you go in. I've done these numerous times in both the children's store and the high end women's clothing stores and people must do it often because they didn't even bat an eyelash. Seriously, it was one of the simplest shops to perform and the report is a piece of cake. It paid well, too. I'd take a whole week's worth of them in a minute.

You also could use the story that you were shopping for a niece / nephew and when you got up to pay realized that you had loaned your card to your teenager and had neglected to get it back from them. So, you'll just have to come back another day.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

LisaSTL
Star Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
733 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  06:31:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done these for the larger ticket items and agree with Karen, they are easy peasy and I had most of the reports completed right away on my phone. Just had to go in later and had a few lines of narrative. Add to this it's an MSC that I love working for

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Tracie
Valued Contributor

Oswego, IL
USA
235 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  7:30:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like the mystery shopping company too--I just find it awkward to say I can't afford something and need to open up a credit card for $300 worth of merchandise, and then leave everything on the counter. Just my hang up, lol!

Glad to know that others find them easy. These types of scenerios are just ten foot pole shops for me! :)

Tracie
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  8:15:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I find the large ticket item - one interaction scenario more plausible for those shops and would do more any day. The two interaction scenario makes me nervous, but I've had no problem completing it with the following script, "OMG,I left my ATM card in another store, I have to run, sorry. I'll be back."

Judi
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  6:15:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsJudi

I find the large ticket item - one interaction scenario more plausible for those shops and would do more any day. The two interaction scenario makes me nervous, but I've had no problem completing it with the following script, "OMG,I left my ATM card in another store, I have to run, sorry. I'll be back."

I didn't like the two interaction ones either. I did the upscale store and the associates are on commission...didn't like bursting their bubbles.

>^..^< ::¤Connie¤::¤Gold Certified¤:: >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Joan_in_DE

Newark, DE
USA
48 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2011 :  8:05:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to sell fine jewelry on commission. One frequent occurrence with a high ticket item was to go through the application process for credit and customers would discover they left their driver's license in their car. Out they would dash, never to return. I always assumed they knew they would not get the credit. Now I know we had lots of mystery shoppers around major holidays.

Joan_in_DE
Gold kt5fir, Video Certified
Go to Top of Page

JHong

Brooklyn, NY
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  08:11:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've fallen victim to the furniture shop that many others mention here. I never do the pizza shop unless I feel the shop fee is worth it. I don't know why anyone would do these for reimbursement only, especially since I'm so sick of the pizza!

I wanted to add another shop I won't touch, and it's any new never-done-before shop, meaning new to everyone. I received a desperate plea from a company who was paying $20 for a new cell phone shop where you had to purchase a cell phone, play with the phone features, and return the phone. Since it was the first time they had these shops, I found some of the questions didn't have adequate multiple choice answers. I commented wherever I could, but the editor replied back saying I didn't answer the questions correctly AND that I had purchased the wrong phone! I replied that the phone had just been changed to a slightly newer model and they no longer carried the older phone. I then explained in depth why I could not answer the multiple choice questions and what my answers really were. It was obvious that this was a new shop for them, but it angered me that I was being accused of doing something wrong.

I then received an email from the scheduler asking me for feedback since this was a new shop and they wanted to improve on it and encourage future shoppers to take it. I was very honest with my feedback. I was also honest with how the $20 shop pay was not adequate for the amount of work required. About a week later, changes had been made to the shop and the pay was raised to $65! Since this was a cell phone purchase shop, I was not able to take another shop. I was felt totally used as a guinea pig. Never, ever again! I'll let someone else test out a new shop. I'll be waiting for all the kinks to be worked out and the pay to be raised when the shop comes around a second time! Lesson learned.

Silver certified
Shopping NYC
Go to Top of Page

Rene-R
Valued Contributor

Phoenix, AZ
USA
171 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  2:11:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JHong

I then received an email from the scheduler asking me for feedback since this was a new shop and they wanted to improve on it and encourage future shoppers to take it. I was very honest with my feedback. I was also honest with how the $20 shop pay was not adequate for the amount of work required. About a week later, changes had been made to the shop and the pay was raised to $65! Since this was a cell phone purchase shop, I was not able to take another shop. I was felt totally used as a guinea pig. Never, ever again! I'll let someone else test out a new shop. I'll be waiting for all the kinks to be worked out and the pay to be raised when the shop comes around a second time! Lesson learned.

NO. WAY.
They definitely should have paid you AT LEAST the $65 total (once they established what the rate would be going forward), if not MORE, for doing the post-shop feedback on top of the shop! I would have felt very used as well.

I haven't seen the shop you described, but I am going to keep an eye out and remember to be wary of that company.

Gold shopping metro Phoenix & airports everywhere, since 2005. ~ Have Video equipment, will travel!
Go to Top of Page

JHong

Brooklyn, NY
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  7:47:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rene! This actually happened over a year ago, but I hadn't vented about it on here until now. I have not seen the shop since last year so they may have gotten rid of it. Good riddance! I believe this is a well respected company, and I had not had any problems with them prior to this incident. But I haven't shopped with them since, just because I felt so burned by the incident. I certainly will never be taking a new shop from them or from any company for that matter.

Silver certified
Shopping NYC
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  9:26:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandra Dee

My list:
(All True, but all in fun and tongue in cheek)
-Any postal shop by the "B" for "Bad to the Bone" Company.
-New Car dealership shops for the "I" for the "Ingrate" Company - No amount of begging will remove the memories of writing for 2 hours, only to be reprimanded for not writing enough.
-Any shop from Goodwin,Franchise Compliance, JM Ridgeway, and anyone else who made me chase payment.
Any shop that makes me send back entrées; (a side dish I can handle, a $40 perfectly fine entrée - oh no you don't)
Shops that makes me return an item "Exactly X days after purchase", Shops that have to be entered within 6 hours of shop -- Yeah right.
And lastly, Shops that put me, my anonymity, and/or my credit in danger of any kind.

- I feel sorry for the Bad to the Bone scheduler -- the shops suck and you don't get paid if you ding them for doing something wrong.
- The "enter in 6 hours" wouldn't be so bad IF they were paying enough to be at the top of the list, and IF there was an extension for route shopping. stinks to get home from a route and have 45 minutes to enter it.
- Ditto on the credit. Anything with a hard pull had better pay a very substantial amount of money!
- Adding any shop where they come to your home.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums