Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

LisaSTL
Star Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
733 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  1:09:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I laughed about the "enter in 6 hours." I always enter those jobs the next morning And back when I still did routes for them they would work with you on those report deadlines. It's been awhile so that may have changed.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  5:53:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I've ever gotten a single one of those particular shops entered in 6 hours. I do try my best to get them in by midnight, and always within 24 hours. I almost never do the ones in town; they are usually done on a route. I've noticed the ones entered the next morning have a greater tendency to be graded a 9 rather than a 10, but I try to ignore that.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Terren
Valued Contributor

Brandon, FL
USA
120 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  04:36:51 AM  Send Terren an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gee I commented that BBB was shopped a couple of pages ago... and it's only worth the pay when it gets higher fee'd.

GOLD *x1z1xl*
Go to Top of Page

LisaSTL
Star Contributor

St. Louis, MO
USA
733 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  06:44:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandi, the only ones I can think of with the 6 hour window only grade up to 5

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  07:15:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
maybe the other one's 8 hours, then. I get the 5's from that other company, too, and again, rarely within 6 hours.

--Sandi
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  12:47:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lots say that, but I always ask first when i accept the job. In this heat, after 10 hours on the road and in hot stores, I am too wasted to do accurate reports same night. Almost always do reports early next morning.
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  09:40:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dar-L

Lots say that, but I always ask first when i accept the job. In this heat, after 10 hours on the road and in hot stores, I am too wasted to do accurate reports same night. Almost always do reports early next morning.

Be aware, though, that Trend Source is starting to deduct pay for late reports. I was dinged on 3 reports a couple of weeks ago. They did warn that that would start to happen but I procrastinated so it was my own fault. Lesson learned!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  09:54:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Be aware, though, that Trend Source is starting to deduct pay for late reports. I was dinged on 3 reports a couple of weeks ago. They did warn that that would start to happen but I procrastinated so it was my own fault. Lesson learned!
[/quote]

They used to be so understanding. I'm sorry to hear you got dinged. How much?

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  6:51:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They did that to me a few times several years ago when i started with them; $2 for being a few minutes late one night.
And I have since advised them each and every time if a report would be late for a good reason (like illness once, not even getting home by deadline several times.)
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  9:55:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SandiA

[/quote]

They used to be so understanding. I'm sorry to hear you got dinged. How much?
[/quote]

Only a buck each report and I was warned, I just got lazy so it's my own fault. It has nothing to do with understanding or not, in the end they have to be able to live up to the commitments that they made to their Clients. If one of those is a set report turnaround time and I don't fulfill my end of the bargain to make it possible for them, then they have to react accordingly. The way I look it is, they could exercise the option to not accept my report at all (and drop me to boot). I promised a certain deliverable and didn't comply, my fault. You can bet that I won't make that mistake, again.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Eric in Tampa
Valued Contributor

Shopperville, FL
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  06:22:19 AM  Visit Eric in Tampa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hate to say this, but I'm starting to really shy away from the restaurant reimbursement shops. Example, spend $15-20 on a meal, shop pay of $5. The only way I would do that is if I were going to buy the food anyway and $5 is just a bonus. Also, depends on the company that reimburses you. Some take 3-4 months to pay, others are fairly prompt. And of course, some schedulers have forgotten to put the reimbursement amount and the the back and forth of "When are you going to send the full payment amount due to reimbursement" questions occur with the scheduler.

It all depends. I usually leave those shops for others. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Eric
MSPA Gold Certified, 2007; IMSC Certified, 2012 (Chicago), 2013 (Atlanta), 2015 (Las Vegas).
Undercover Essentials Video Certified, 2012 and owns PV-500 ECO. Nevada Work card (expires 2020).
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  10:45:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eric in Tampa

Hate to say this, but I'm starting to really shy away from the restaurant reimbursement shops. Example, spend $15-20 on a meal, shop pay of $5. The only way I would do that is if I were going to buy the food anyway and $5 is just a bonus. Also, depends on the company that reimburses you. Some take 3-4 months to pay, others are fairly prompt. And of course, some schedulers have forgotten to put the reimbursement amount and the the back and forth of "When are you going to send the full payment amount due to reimbursement" questions occur with the scheduler.

It's been awhile since we've done restaurants, too. They used to be our date nights. But two nasty meals in a row where we spent over our reimbursement, and had to wait a long time for reimbursement = just not worth it any more. I used to take one I didn't really like because no one else would, but the scheduler seems to have now found someone who will do it (hooray).

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  10:01:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ugh. Did an oil change shop for a company that took over for another. Having done these for eight years or so, I didn't read as closely as I should have -- not only is the fee lower, but I'm eating the high mileage upgrade. Which means I'm out of pocket.

Making it worse is that another company that I usually do the changes with just popped up with a bonused shop (on top of their already-higher fee) -- my car doesn't need it any more.

So, adding to the 10-ft pole list - oil changes with the new company that only cover the bare minimum. Fine for people whose cars have fewer than 75k miles; stupid for the rest of us.

Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  09:16:29 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Julie, now you have me worried, I just signed up for an oil change shop. My car has over 75K miles... I hope it's not the company you shopped for... hmmm.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  11:16:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Corrie, there are three companies doing them that I know of. This one took over from another. My mistake, yes, for not reading the instructions fully. Hopefully you took it for one of the other two. I will, in the future, and only accept this company when it's heavily bonused. -- Probably not even then, as the report is a "Are you kidding me?" length with way too much narrative required for even five times the pay.

Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  10:06:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did one at the place where an item should turn to gold when they touch it. Never again. Almost three hours wasted there as I waited, "stretched my legs" and lost just a little bit of my soul.
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  09:49:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kimberley -

Those oil change shops at least provide me with something I need - my oil changed for free and a small fee. The ones I will not touch again (I did one once) are the brake inspections for low double figure fees. Even at double or triple pay, it is not worth it considering how long they take, and then they almost invariably find something wrong, and when you say no, never mind, just put it back together again, they are definitely not in a hurry to do so. Despite the name of the place, I have never felt that they are capable of transmuting base metals to gold. They'd be better off just trying to get the lead out of their pants and move a little quicker. Of course, since the brake inspections are free to begin with (gee - I wonder why, do you think it might be just a ruse to sell you brake repairs?), what can you really expect?

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  3:49:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
HeHe...Did one of those- twice. Never EVER AGAIN!
As Harvey said, after lots of waiting, they presented me an estimate: over $1200 ! And acted surprised when I didn't give them the go ahead! And then they didn't want to put it back together, said the brakes were unsafe ! (No they weren't THAT bad; I was in the business most of my life, I knew they were due, but not unsafe.)
And then almost an hour's wait for them to put it back together. If I hadn't offered to put it back together myself, I might have spent the night there.

Then, another job, another state, they tried to sell me brakes I didn't need on another car...Brakes had been done properly only 30,000 miles before. They put it together quickly and I moved on, but about 20 miles down the highway the car started to shimmy. Pulled over quickly to look, found they had failed to tighten the lugs on 2 wheels.

No amount of pay is worth risking my or my ride's safety, especially when I make my living in that ride. I shy away from most all auto mystery shops.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  9:19:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A new one today -- go and visit an amusement park ON YOUR OWN DIME and then give us feedback and observations for a small fee.

Are shoppers really this desperate that they're doing these?

Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  9:24:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Apparently so! I saw a listing for one of those, and was excited at first since I haven't been to that park in a little while, then saw I had to pay my own way in. Never mind... but there were several of them, and some already had applications pending. I suppose if you live in the area and have an annual pass, it might not be a big deal.

--Sandi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums