Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

KellyNY
Star Contributor

Long Island, New York
USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  06:23:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm adding the computer tune up shop to my list. The shop itself went fine, but when I got home, my computer would not work. It powers on, but the monitor is blank. I tried the monitor and cable with another computer and it's working fine so something happened to the monitor connection while at the repair center. I'm sitting here waiting for them to open so I can bring it back. At best, it means another trip to the store and they'll take care of it. At worst, I'll have to pay for the repair since I had to sign a waiver regarding damages. I'm not happy

Long Island, NY
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  10:22:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do you know if your video is integrated with the motherboard or if your computer has a separate video card? The video card could just have jiggled loose in transit. That happens more than you'd think! Have you opened up a PC before? Would you be comfortable doing so?

If they want to charge you, this is something easy to check yourself. I can post a good link on how to do this.

quote:
Originally posted by KellyNY

I'm adding the computer tune up shop to my list. The shop itself went fine, but when I got home, my computer would not work. It powers on, but the monitor is blank. I tried the monitor and cable with another computer and it's working fine so something happened to the monitor connection while at the repair center. I'm sitting here waiting for them to open so I can bring it back. At best, it means another trip to the store and they'll take care of it. At worst, I'll have to pay for the repair since I had to sign a waiver regarding damages. I'm not happy

Go to Top of Page

KellyNY
Star Contributor

Long Island, New York
USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  2:19:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Kimberly. You're right, something probably just came loose in transit. They fixed it without charging me, thank goodness!

Long Island, NY
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  2:27:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KellyNY

Thanks so much Kimberly. You're right, something probably just came loose in transit. They fixed it without charging me, thank goodness!

That's great to hear! We had that happen when we moved once.
Go to Top of Page

Zeke

NC
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2011 :  8:42:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My favorites are the same amusement park where you pay for everything and they reimburse you for a meal from some inside vendor. Nope, don't think so. Maybe for a free ticket, sure, but absolutely not, though, in my area, people are doing them. Maybe its the heat

Zeke
MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED SHOPPER
NARMS Certified Merchandiser
Shopping NC
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  1:16:35 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke

My favorites are the same amusement park where you pay for everything and they reimburse you for a meal from some inside vendor. Nope, don't think so. Maybe for a free ticket, sure, but absolutely not, though, in my area, people are doing them. Maybe its the heat

The shops you are referring to are intended for people already going to the amusement park, whether they are paying to get in or have a season pass. All the shops I've seen for this clearly state that it's not for people not already going and that they won't reimburse for the ticket to get in. So if you are already going, then it looks like a good shop as you get some reimbursement to feed yourself/family while there.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

Paula Rodrigues
Valued Contributor

Stamford, CT
USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  09:30:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spencer's Gifts, IKEA and the 50 items price audits at Trader Joe's are all shops not worth doing ever.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferE
Contributor

Texas
USA
83 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  1:41:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't really investigated them, and they may actually be awesome shops, but I keep getting offers for a junk removal service to do an estimate. Wouldn't I have to have a fairly significant amount of "junk" to dispose of in order to call one of these services in the first place? These shop offers just make me think of the TV show "Hoarders" and no, thanks, not for me.
Go to Top of Page

John MrBeth
Valued Contributor

Mount Laurel, NJ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  6:14:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Most price audits are too much time for too little reimbursement.

John
Southern NJ
Professional Couple
Both Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Netti
Valued Contributor

Hudson, FL
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  1:43:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All done, it's the last time that I will do a Mall gift card project.

A long narrative that needs to repeat ALL of the questions asked with a complete narrative of every Yes/No inside of the description of the event. I tried this once before and did not receive a great score because I did not include the redundancy.

>>>>>>>>>> keeping that far away !

Silver Shopper - West Coast Florida
Go to Top of Page

John MrBeth
Valued Contributor

Mount Laurel, NJ
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2011 :  6:43:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree about the redundant nature of many MSC formats.
They ask a question and then expect you to repeat yourself in the narrative.
I'm sure the MSC's have reasons for this in the way they report back to the mall owners.
I have seen malls done by at least two different MSC's.
I grab as many as I can from one MSC, and ignore the one's that don't pay as well.

John
Southern NJ
Professional Couple
Both Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Eric in Tampa
Valued Contributor

Shopperville, FL
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  7:47:33 PM  Visit Eric in Tampa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any apartment shop that specifies a "target agent." Took me a full week to finally get the target agent on the phone as well as schedule an appointment. Had to postpone all other activities for this one shop alone.

Eric
MSPA Gold Certified, 2007; IMSC Certified, 2012 (Chicago), 2013 (Atlanta), 2015 (Las Vegas).
Undercover Essentials Video Certified, 2012 and owns PV-500 ECO. Nevada Work card (expires 2020).
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  8:51:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Eric, I agree. It's the same with new home agents. I had to target one of two ladies, and they don't always use their name to answer the phone. I will not do any more target shops unless I'm desperate.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

MsKim
Star Contributor

Bryan, Texas
USA
419 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  10:46:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
i agree....target shops are the worse and pay the SAME as the other ones. So which ones will i do ...hmmmmm hard decision...NOT!!! LOL

Ms Kim
Go to Top of Page

MsJudi
Star Contributor

New Jersey
USA
582 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  8:53:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
adidas...77 questions with a narrative response needed and numbered for every question...No thanks unless the fee is, let's say, $100! Did it once, forgot and did it again...no more, I'll remember this time for sure.

The shop was fine, but the report stinks.

Judi
Go to Top of Page

KenASch
Star Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
689 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  9:17:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree the report is cumbersome but I have completed them without providing narrative on each and every question. Still received a 10 without any mention of the missing narratives. Of course I always comment on any "no" answers but just some of the "yes" ones.

Ken S
Gold Shopper
Shopping Ventura County California
Go to Top of Page

TammiT
Contributor

Paramus, New Jersey
USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  8:44:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't have any problems doing the IKEA shops until the MSC decided to change their payments from 60 days to 90 days!

I recently did a furniture shop where I sat there for what seems like hours. I doubt I will do that again.

Definitely no to price audits (got burnt really badly on one) & restaurant shops where the purchases are more than the reimbursement.

Tammi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

FergusonKka
Valued Contributor

NY
USA
140 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  5:31:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Open a bank account and intentionally bounce a check. Don't worry, trust us, it won't affect your credit! And we don't care if it does! (:-()

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  5:52:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done that one. The turnaround between the overdraft and the deposit to bring the account up over zero was such that there truly is no hit on credit. I'd do that shop again.

quote:
Originally posted by FergusonKka

Open a bank account and intentionally bounce a check. Don't worry, trust us, it won't affect your credit! And we don't care if it does! (:-()

Kimberley
Route shopper with PV500 & backup rig.
Shopping since 2004 * MSPA Silver * Undercover Essentials * IMSC
Go to Top of Page

Joyce1947
Valued Contributor

Bourne, MA
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  1:41:45 PM  Send Joyce1947 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
What was I thinking when I agreed to do 10, yes, that's right 10 dimensional weight shops.

First you have to buy the boxes and then go to the grocery to buy the food to be packed in the box. Boxes need assembly, and HOW are you going to keep the food from bouncing all around in the box. Did I mention that the food needs to weight between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds, no exceptions???

The cost to do the shop, not including the food which comes out of your fee (OK, they were bonused $2.50 each) is around $30-$45 EACH. This is the company that usually takes 60-90 days to pay, all for a $10 fee (plus the $2.50 bonus). I'd have to think long and hard if they were $50 fee each!

NEVER AGAIN, NEVER AGAIN

Joyce
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums