Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Sandra G.
Valued Contributor

TX
USA
239 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  8:57:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I understand what happened at the station, EliseSm.

Sandra G.
Go to Top of Page

Marcia1154

MI
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  03:56:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The phone shops where you have to download a recording program, voice change software and several other ones, that may or may not harm your computer. Oh yeah you have to use Skype to make the calls.

Marcia
Silver certified in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Lin

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  2:44:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Telephone shops avoid if possible because talking to people
on the phone isn't easy. They may give you the information or
not. I don't like my phone call to be recorded because if you make a mistake they have it on file.
Also, several years I made a mistake because I got nervous
and I had to redo the shop. Finally the pay isn't worth the hassle.
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  4:32:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree. Phone shops are more stressful than in person. I especially dislike the targeted phone shops where if they call you back, you have to call them back using the recorded line. I played phone tag for five days with a mortgage target and it was not worth it.

>^..^< ::¤Connie¤::¤Gold Certified¤:: >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

MelissaBo

Beatrice, Nebraska
USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  12:48:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a 10 foot pole shop in my small town that usually ends up bonused so high that I have a hard time ignoring it. This month, I finally succumbed to the bonus after months of refusing to touch it and now I remember why.

Same exact awkward scenario month after month after month at a store that only has a handful of employees, so you are standing there, KNOWING that they KNOW you are a shopper. I HATE that, but at least (usually) they do a great job and make the report easy.

However, this time, the employee just didn't get it and cussed in front of me three times. Not just a da*n or a h*ll either. Ugh. I was so stunned I think I promptly forgot most of the OTHER things that were said while I was there!

Also? Don't even get me started on the fact that this particular shop has 60 questions on the survey, yes or no, asks for me explain each no individually and then the last request on the survey is to write everything in detail that happened from the time I walked in until I left.

This is going back on the list, I don't care if they are willing to buy me a shiny new car next time. Never. Again.

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

DarkWingDave

Bremerton, WA
USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  5:55:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
An undercover shop that wants you to verify 625 items in 5 different categories are in the proper size area; estimated time 45-60 min. $16.
No offense, but are there that many savants out there that can do that?

Dave
Silver certified shopping WA and OR.
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  6:06:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarkWingDave

An undercover shop that wants you to verify 625 items in 5 different categories are in the proper size area; estimated time 45-60 min. $16.
No offense, but are there that many savants out there that can do that?

This sounds like the sizing shop. I have never done it, but it is well liked and popular with some shoppers. I do the P/R for this retail shop.

Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  7:58:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm one who likes that shop. See the thread for more discussion about it.
forum.volition.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=83895

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  12:49:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandi G

Yep, I'm one who likes that shop. See the thread for more discussion about it.
forum.volition.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=83895

Sandi, I wish I was smart like you and can figure out the sizing shop. I looked at the charts and guidelines and they make my head spin! P/R is so much easier - I shop, I stand in line and return. :-)

Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  6:25:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You're too funny, Connie. Everyone has something they like that others hate. I bet there are shops you do that I decided to pass on, too. Dim weight postal shops, for instance? Never, thanks!

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  6:52:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandi -

You are right. I like the dimensional weight post office shops. When I am occasionally questioned, I just say that I do whatever my daughter tells me to do and that it is for a class project. Ever the doting Dad! The male employees sympathize with me, the female employees compliment me.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  7:22:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandy, You're right. I don't mind the dim wt shops at all. I probably would like the sizing audit, if I ever figure it out. Y'all make it sound so easy on the forums, and then I go read the guideline and none of it makes sense. There is one available a few miles from me and I am almost tempted to try one.

Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
367 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2015 :  10:03:58 AM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My candidate is any assignment from GFK. From the first shop in 2005 to the last in, I think, 2013, the few I accepted were complete cluster f---s. The overwhelming problem was a total lack of scheduler response for areas of confusion.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2015 :  02:03:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Overall I do well with GFK. I REFUSE to do their large electronics store audits, but I do smartphone shops and other audits several times a year.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
367 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  1:41:45 PM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can handle a lengthy report; literally one requiring thousands of characters, BUT, what I loathe is repetition, repetition and, last but not least, repetition. The report is structured so that there are small clusters of questions and then a required recap, but at the end is a section for a complete overview using different verbiage. IF the pay were commensurate with the work, it would be a different matter, but, of course, that's never the case. To add insult to injury, sometimes the MSC will have a comment at the end of the report stating that "it may seem a bit repetitious, but this information is needed." NEEDED, it's already on the page!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
367 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  12:28:07 PM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received an offer this morning that stunned me. I read it and reread it to assure myself I wasn't in error. Below, are the requirements:

Qualified candidates must have a smart phone with geo locating capabilities and the ability to conduct audits between the hours of 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM, Monday to Thursday. The ability to use Excel spreadsheet is also a must.

Now for the shop:

This audit requires you to visit your assigned locations in order to capture data on business vehicles parked in the lot during the evening. This information is referred to as a "lead". Lead information includes the company name, phone number, web address or any other information included on the side of work vehicles in the parking lots you will visit.

Finally , the pay:

Shopper payment is $2.50 per location for 1-9 locations and $4 per location for 10+ locations. Each location must have at least one lead to qualify. So if you visited 10 locations and each had at least one lead, you would earn $40. Any locations with zero leads do not require any work from you, so they will get $0.

IF, there were a 20' category, I would submit this job for inclusion.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  4:13:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow. Just wow. This is, frankly, insulting:
quote:
"Any locations with zero leads do not require any work from you, so they will get $0."
Is the scheduler a complete idiot? Does she really think that we like to drive to Timbuktu for the scenery? She, along with her shop, belongs on the 10' pole list.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  04:20:26 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am not keen on going out and going into parking lots in the dark and putting myself in danger. Add that to the fact that gas is over $4.00 a gallon in California and there is no way I would consider a job of this nature.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

TimothyCA
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
150 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  2:48:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Engleman

This audit requires you to visit your assigned locations in order to capture data on business vehicles parked in the lot...

This isn't a mystery shop or an "audit", it is called cold lead prospecting and can be also called "trespassing" by many private parking lots. Wonder if the client got issued no trespassing orders and now has to find someone else to do the dirty work.

Timothy
MSPA GOLD Certified
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Star Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
367 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2015 :  06:12:39 AM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
After having lived in excess of 7 decades, I rarely deal in absolutes, BUT, when it comes to non-bonused assignments paying less than an identical prior job at the same location, I NEVER have the slightest interest in the work. In addition, if it's the original pay, but for twice the labor, I pass.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums