Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1852 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  01:24:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The worst part about at least one of the timeshare shops is that you have to give back all the prizes and incentives they give you! They are usually worth more than the shop fee, so if you just went to the presentation on your own, you'd come out ahead -- and no getting all the little, particular details.

The only fitness shop I'd want to do is Curves, but I don't know if anyone shops them.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Terra
Star Contributor

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  04:36:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh, I did the linen store.... and I did the reimbursement only pet store... and worst of all... I did the evaluate everyone at the department store for $1.50 (not $2 as someone else said) a person. I've also done the apartment shops where you cannot input online. Instead, you have to type your narratives and paste them in the right space because they don't leave enough room for their requirement. Then, you have to fax like 25 pages! Sad thing is, people seem to like working for them. I've done the hip-hop store where I certaintly didn't fit in... I'll keep the fat food ones (no typo), since I learned how to throw the top bun away and eat grilled chicken without mayo. You live and learn... I'll try anything once. If the high pressure sales ones pay a lot, sign me up. I had someone recently come to my house to sell windows (I got $100 for listening) and clean my carpet ($6/room for basic steam cleaning). I was able to get rid of both of them without buying... surely I can do the others!

MSPA Silver Certified #ectp6r
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  09:09:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KellyIL

As an aside, I have often wondered WHY this particular FF shop pays Canadian shoppers more. I initially chalked it up to a difference in the cost of living, but I do not know whether that is correct. Does anyone have any insight?
I visit Canada very often since we are only two hours from the border, and yes it has to do with the fact that US money goes further in Canada and the cost of items are more expensive, for instance hamburger US .69 cents, hamburger Canada $1.39. Get the picture?

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

MarNVA
Valued Contributor

VA
USA
106 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  09:55:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My least favorite is a home furnishings department store shop that requires you to visit multiple departments, get names and times and make the return on the same day. I was so happy when I got this assignment because of the high fee, but for the amount of work required, it just was not worth it. I went on a Saturday so it was impossible to get any help. A friend who also shops told me that it's easier when you go during the week. I'm just not interested in doing any more period.

The high-end home electronics shop sounds like a pain too.

MSPA Silver Certified and shopping the Washington, DC metro area.
Go to Top of Page

Christy_LC
Star Contributor

Lake, Illinois
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  11:39:24 AM  Visit Christy_LC's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
This topic has been informative, as well as entertaining. I started shopping last August and shopped for something like 3 weeks before finding the Volition postings. It seemed much longer, and I thought this business really _____s. That is when this thread came up and I was so proud to learn that I had found, and done, almost every 10 foot pole shop mentioned! Of course, since then I have figured out that is because it is the newbies that get these -because they can. So thanks to all who have listed in this post: this has been a great encouragement to me because it told me there WERE better shops available.

Christy
The shopper formerly known as ChrisLC
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

Ava Collett
Valued Contributor

Russellville, Arkansas
USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  6:08:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the timeshare and it wasn't bad. I got to stay three nights free,and they paid mileage there and back plus a fee so my check was over a hundred dollars.I did have to listen to a high pressure sales pitch that lasted 3 hours but I don't think thats bad for 3 free days and nights at a nice resort and $100 something check.The free gift I got to keep but it was nothing to write home about-but I would love to do more of these.What I won't do is the grocery store where you have to interact with 10 employees and spend 8 dollars of the 12 they are gonna pay you. Yes I have to buy groceries anyway, but I don't have to talk to 10 employee's to do it........

Ava-Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Claudessa

Gardena, California
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  9:58:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This has been great reading, I now have a few more things not to do. I like the apartment shops they pay well and don't take long. I don't like the two part apartment shops. I have done one Hotel Shop and it was great get away from the family One of the things that I won't do reveal shops in store that I shop for my self. One people know you what you do they act real funny whenever you walk in.

Merchandising and MSing in Southern California
Go to Top of Page

CMilton
Star Contributor

North Haledon, NJ
USA
379 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  07:14:01 AM  Visit CMilton's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll do almost anything, but I will not be crawling around in the snow under a gas pump to see what brand it is......

c.

celia milton
Gold Certified 2004, nzcy0k
Go to Top of Page

AdAora
Star Contributor

Deep in the heart of, TX
USA
3770 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  07:29:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CMilton

I'll do almost anything, but I will not be crawling around in the snow under a gas pump to see what brand it is......
Celia,
That's what kids are for. I did a bunch of these (not in the snow though) and my 11 year old was the perfect companion for holding the tape and reading those lowdown model numbers.

Gold certified in TX
Go to Top of Page

Angie-123
Inactive

Gainesville, Florida
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  1:31:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No more shops for one particular cellular company. Turns out they keep detailed logs of all their interactions and match you up when the shop reports come in. So, you will almost always get ID'd or challenged.

No more FF unless the fee is double...which I do get a couple times a month.

No more bookstore shops on campus. Parking is horrific.

Angie
Gold Certified
Shopping FL since 2001
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  08:20:53 AM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Let's see... I actually ENJOYED doing the fitness shops! I did 2 in one day. One person did call me for about a week, then stopped (I didn't answer the phone). The other one called me once to follow up and never again. Either they got the reports and figured me out, or they were just nice. I do know that, when I have the $$ to join the fitness club, I will join that one and give the guy who called me once the commission!

Shops I won't do... grocery store (I go there 3 times a week, but you want how many names??)... cell phone shops (that's just one shop that does not appeal to me)... high-end bank shops (I need a loan/mortgage, etc.). I do like the "give me info on opening a checking account" shops, but I've only landed one of those so far.
Go to Top of Page

MarNVA
Valued Contributor

VA
USA
106 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  09:01:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a home appliances shop that requires you to purchase a washing machine and have it delivered to your house, and then you have to try to have someone come pick it up. I am bit fuzzy on the details because I got the annoucement a few months ago, but no way am I going to make a major purchase on a shop for a few bucks. Not to mention the hassle of scheduling the delivery and pick-up.

MSPA Silver Certified and shopping the Washington, DC metro area.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherC

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  3:22:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the home improvement store with the all the interactions with the associates. It did suck. I won't be doing that one again for that pitiful $5 fee.

Heather
Go to Top of Page

CMilton
Star Contributor

North Haledon, NJ
USA
379 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  6:08:32 PM  Visit CMilton's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just actually read about one that had about 10 associates, a dressing room inspection, size-checking 100 garments to see if they matched the e labeled hangers, and several other things for FIVE BIG DOLLARS.

geez.....give me a health club or an assisted living apartment any time (except when the assisted living sales person is about 12 and thinks it's for ME!)

c.

celia milton
Gold Certified 2004, nzcy0k
Go to Top of Page

GailGibbsYoung
Star Contributor

Salem, OR
USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  06:48:01 AM  Visit GailGibbsYoung's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Grocery shops with 125 questions, 11 names required, and at least 12 long narratives!

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED dejlg4
Go to Top of Page

TXbecky
Valued Contributor

Texas
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  08:36:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't be doing the department store shop, either, where you have to get the name, description, time of transaction, items in the transaction, type of transaction, greeting?, thank you?, and rate the employee. All of this for $1.50 each with a 10 person minimum. Then you have to type up a narrative on each. After all of this you must meet preassigned percentages or your shop won't be accepted. If you have to meet preassigned percentages, why are they even paying for shoppers? Save your money and write your own report!

Then there's the home improvement shop. You have 6 greeting interactions where you write down the name, description, specific item on the aisle where they did/did not greet you, number of customers on the aisle, number of employees on the aisle, exactly what was said, and the aisle number. Then you have 3 directional interactions with all the above information included in addition to finding an item instock within 1-3 aisles of the employee, go to the employee and ask for that item. You then record if they took you to the item or pointed. All specific details must be included, and for goodness sakes, don't ask for anything beyond 3 aisles. You find the item, find the person, then the person leaves their aisle. Yikes! Oh yeah, if they don't acknowledge you, then you have to stand for two minutes waiting for them to speak or acknowledge you. You have to evaluate a cashier and a service desk person, but no return can be evaluated. You have to walk the front end counting registers open, number of customers in each line, listen for codes, and record reaction of floor employees to code if called. All of this for $5.00!!!! You must be accurate because the store manager's bonus relies on this report, so they will challenge anything you say that they don't like, truth or not! I would really hate to know that my bonus (usually in $G's) relied on the information in a report purchased with a $5.00 bill.

Becky
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  09:24:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh, I think they know it L0L! How many people do you suppose will sign up for these and simply be unable to do them? This is not an easy shop. While it seemed underpriced with the prior company, there was some incentive as there were other great shops available from them.

This one is a dead loser for $5 - and I'm a shopgrabbing mama who usually doesn't write off much of anything without trying it once. What is fascinating to me is that the shop form appears identical to the old company. You gotta wonder how that happened.

MSPA Gold Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Merrl
Star Contributor

CA
USA
535 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  6:11:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Umm, Becky, do you think you could be any more specific about the shop details? Seriously, you are not helping out your fellow shoppers who are desparate enough to take this shop at the reduced fee. (And who would prefer not to be ID'd).
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
626 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  10:04:12 AM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't do any shop that requires me to eat beef. Therefore, most FF is out of the question.

I got an email for a job where you had to pretend, or be impaired, in some way. I don't even remember what kind of shop it was. You had to be pregnant, over 70, or act as if you had a broken arm or leg. Ooh, waay too much acting for me.

And there is a certain large discount store that I won't step foot in, on principle. I wouldn't do any job for that store.

I have done several home improvement and grocery, and found them to be fun and easy. Guess it depends on whom you are shopping. I would do one of those jobs any time, if the pay is decent.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

Alysha
Contributor

IN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  11:38:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi. I am new to mystery shopping, coming up on one month now.

Although I am still nervous about shops, it's getting easier. However, there are some shops I know I will never do because I'd have to go too far out of character to pull it off.

For instance, I saw a motorcycle shop listed today. Uh, don't think I could pull THAT one off. Not the motorcycle type.

Another shop involved going into a store and asking about buying a
shotgun as a gift for someone. Again, way too out of character for me.

I am interested to hear more from the rest of you about what shops you won't take because it's too out of character (as opposed to low fees, long reports, etc.).

Alysha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums