Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Terra
Star Contributor

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  12:31:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gosh... and the work involved in loading that much lumber... Why couldn't it be 100 nails or something...

MSPA Silver Certified #ectp6r
Go to Top of Page

TanyaGA
Contributor

Stuart, FL
USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  12:32:43 PM  Visit TanyaGA's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some of these posts are funny as heck...

I am pretty new also. It's going on 3 months. I have only performed 4 shops. I read some of these shops and laugh because they ask a lot from you for so little.

I also won't do shops that requires the purchase of beef. I seem to get these ALL OF THE TIME, too..

And can someone tell me how you are supposed to keep track of 6 different times without looking at your watch and risk getting notice??

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Go to Top of Page

Libby Barland
Contributor

Boca Raton, FL
USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  1:18:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
To notice times without anyone seeing you is easy for me. I turn my watch face to the inside of my wrist. Then I brush back my hair and as I play with my bangs I notice the time. Since it is natural for a woman to play with her hair or twist their bangs, it doesn't stand out. I have no trouble noting the time...it is writing them down that stymies me. I usually go into the rest room after I remember three different times so I can make quick notes. I wonder if people note how often I go into the rest room?

Libby
Shopping S. Florida
Go to Top of Page

TanyaGA
Contributor

Stuart, FL
USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  1:36:48 PM  Visit TanyaGA's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do you remember the seconds too? One shop asks you to write down about 6 different times and the form asks for the seconds as well.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Go to Top of Page

LauraLohfink
Trainee

Platteville, Wisconsin
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  1:42:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not a big fan of reimbursment only shops....except this month since I need an oil change and one just happened to be a few blocks from home, might as well

Shopping the WI/IA/IL Tri-State Area
Go to Top of Page

Sarena11
Valued Contributor

Rancho Cucamonga, California
USA
133 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  1:49:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will not be going to any car dealer and completing the ENTIRE sales process. Yes, that includes buying the car and closing the whole deal. Then you say...just kidding!

The company promises that all items to do with your credit report will be removed...but I have read that doesn't always happen the way we believe!

I also will not be doing anymore reveal/instand reward shops. Although those sound great...who wouldn't want to make someones day But it seems that no matter if it is a bad report or a good one...they wanna talk for an hour about it

No thanks!

Shopping the Inland Empire in SoCal.
Go to Top of Page

Barbara N.CA
Star Contributor

San Francisco, CA
USA
2397 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  2:37:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am interested to hear more from the rest of you about what shops you won't take because it's too out of character (as opposed to low fees, long reports, etc.).

Cosmetics shops. I don't mean skincare. Skincare I can handle. Makeup? Perfumes? Nuh uh.

Healthfood? Vegetarian? No. Give me meat. Bloody. Lots of it. Throw in large quantities of carbs while you're at it.

Amusement parks? No, thank you. I can't stand crowds and I'm directionally challenged, i.e. I get lost very easily.

Childcare? No, thank you. I don't have kids. Most of my friends either don't have kids or their children are grown. I'm the youngest one in my family and I'm too old to remember. I wouldn't know how to fake it.

Maternity shops? Never been pregnant but I've been mistaken (too often!) for being pregnant. I wouldn't be happy if I had no problem passing off as a pregnant woman. I know I'm fat. I don't need third party confirmation, OK?

Motorcycle shops? Sure. I'm not a rider but I like bikes and I'll be genuinely interested if I do a motorcycle shop. Boat shops, on the other hand? Excuse me while I go take a motion-sickness pill.

Cruise shops? Same problem with motion sickness. I'd also feel trapped and I'd be in big trouble with the food. (Too much of it.)

Cigarette shops? No. For most of them, I'm too old. Even for the ones where age is not a problem, I don't smoke and can't stand cigarette smoke. No one in my family smokes. None of my friends smoke, as far as I know.

Carpet cleaning shops. I'd need to clean the house first so the carpet can be seen. No, thanks.

Shops where I'd have to say an employee cussed or did something bad just to see how the manager handles my complaint. No way. Bad, bad, bad.

Exit interviews. Just kill me. Now.

Barbara
MSPA Gold Shopper since June, 2003.
MSPA 2005 "Go To" Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Debbie Haas

Slidell, LA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  2:55:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The one I stay away from like the plague is the fast food shop that serves you in your car. Keep in mind they pay the servers to spot the shoppers. Then you dont get reimbursed for the shop and you are banned from all ths shops that company does. Plus the pay is miserable.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Alysha
Contributor

IN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  5:42:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie Haas

The one I stay away from like the plague is the fast food shop that serves you in your car. Keep in mind they pay the servers to spot the shoppers. Then you dont get reimbursed for the shop and you are banned from all ths shops that company does. Plus the pay is miserable.
You're kidding! They basically set you up for failure? I'm surprised they get people to do these shops.

I just turned down a jewelry shop where you had to go in and look at wedding bands. First, I'm 38 with 2 kids and even though people get remarried all the time, I'd have to make up too much false information to feel comfortable. Plus, they recommend you bring a male with you and my husband wouldn't be able to help me out. I might consider it if it were with him, but not without. Wouldn't they see the indents from our own wedding bands on our fingers anyway????

Okay, this will sound like a stupid question, but do you have to be the one to ride when you shop amusement parks? Do these shops include things like having to go on a roller coaster? If so, I'm out. If the shop allows me to be a tag-along observer, I'd be fine.

I'd do a maternity or even a bride shop - it would bring back memories and at least I could still wear my engagement ring.

Alysha
Go to Top of Page

Douglas05
Contributor

Shelby, NC
USA
77 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  5:55:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't do any of the grocery store get paid $10.00, must spend $5.00, talk with 5 deffernt people and check 20 deffernt items shops. To much time and too less pay. Maybe if they put a bonus on that shop I would look at it seriously again.

Silver certified...Shopping NC. Charlotte Metro and Upstate SC.
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  7:24:50 PM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Barbara N.CA

I agree with you on so many of these, except the vegetarian stuff. I am a big veggie eater, and don't like meat much. Can't do carpet cleaning, only one room with carpet now. But boy would I love an amusement park or cruise shop! I could practically spend my life in theme parks, and my hubby and I are going on our first cruise in November.

Could never, ever do anything having to do with being pregnant or children. I could NEVER pass for pregnant, never have any desire to, have never been, never want to be. I am around my niece's kids once a year, so I have no contact with children at all.

Motorcycle, out of the question. I sure get a lot of emails for them though!

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  7:29:09 PM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You actually saw a job that required you to buy a shotgun? Oh my god, I could NEVER do that. Or the thing that involved stealing.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

AudreyB
Valued Contributor

West Plains, Missouri
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  7:30:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The ones I hate:

FF - where I have to eat a burger I don't like, with toppings I hate, from a franchise I don't care for - all that for a few bucks plus the cost of food.

Department Stores where I have to remember the names of ten employees, even if there are only eight in the entire store and try on a ton of clothes in different departments. I end up buying stuff I don't need and the reports are too long.

Low income department shops - where I have to park my car a block away and hope it's still there when I get back.

Home Improvement stores: remember twenty names in six departments, crawl around among dirty and dusty merchandise and ask totally stupid questions of the employees. Gee, why don't I just stencil the words "Mystery Shopper" on my forehead?

The ones I love:

Bank shops - no problem at all to invest the 100 grand I just inherited or explaining that Grandma is to bonkers in the head to take care of her finances. Pay is great, reports are easy and the schedulers are super.

High end jewelry - nothing like that multi carat piece of bling to make my day. Special diamond room, free and fresh coffee and too bad I can't keep the item as reimburement.

Car dealerships: I get to look at nice cars and sometimes even test drive them. Makes me want to trade in mine everytime.

Cosmetics: Yipee, I'm in hog heaven now. Especially the high end lines when they have bonus time and I get to keep all the goodies they give away and get reimbursed for the stuff I bought.

Audrey

Audrey
happily shopping southern Missouri and northern Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

Paula H.
Valued Contributor

Pasadena, CA
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  7:55:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There aren't too many shops that I'd never try. One would orobably be a restaurant where I'm only paid for the meal -- and I really can't stand the type of food they serve. Recently I received a query about doing a jewelry shop posing as a soon-to-be married person. At age 63, with gray hair, I just didn't think I could pull it off and look the part. The motorcycle shop might be fun. Wonder what the employees would think seeing this little old lady from Pasadena.

Gold Certified shopper
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethJMains

Centennial, CO
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  8:46:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll do just about anything - If the pay is right. No more reveal shops when you have to tell someone they just failed!

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Melissa Green
Valued Contributor

North Charleston, SC
USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  10:40:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't do pizza phone calls for only 50 cents...
I won't (anymore) do shops that I have to buy something and the money back later. I have been burned on that too many times.
I won't do the Harley ones...I would not pass as a customer! lol
I won't do the grocery ones that you have to pick up their flyer and find ALL the items on the front page. OH MAN! I had NO idea how many there were!! My girls thought we would NEVER get out of there.
I won't do any shops that pay under $35.00 now. I have been paying too much in gas lately. Just driving around here and there just for $10.00 here and $15.00 there. Not enough pay..to stuff the kids and grandma in the car while I go in and do shops....bringing them food and whatever else I had to buy....
So, now I do A LOT of phone shops that pay great and other shops that pay around $45.00 and up. I will take the others again if my REALLY good paying phone shops go away.

Melissa Green
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping all of South Carolina
Go to Top of Page

Molly Brown
Star Contributor

HI
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  11:30:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What's an exit interview??? The only exit interview I'm familiar with is the one I get when I quit all my jobs =)

Let's see...shops I won't touch... probably 99% of the shops out there =) I'm soooo picky =)

After reading this thread, I will definately avoid those grocery shops, linen shops, department shops, timeshare, anything where I have to listen to a salesman all day, bank shops-boring!, purchase/returns-yeah I think it is a give-away...seems really odd to me,

I might do a McDonald's, Jack in the Box, or In-n-out thing, as long as it isn't some crazy detailed report....I eat there, so might as well go....ya.. I'm a bachelorette who doesn't know how to cook...sad huh?

Shops I will do... restaurants...mmmm yummy food! I'd like to do a hotel shop-but I might have the urge to have a hotel party in there...I'm still young =)
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:42:44 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think they finally got the message The people who kept offering me bridal shop shops. It took months for them to filter the male species out of the shop invites.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  04:18:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never and probably will never do a shop for the "5 dollar Company". They have a discount store shop that is directly across the street from my apartment and an home improvement store that is also well within walking distance. It doesn't matter. I won't get out of bed for what they are paying.

I am such a girly girl that I could never pass myself off as a motorcycle chick.

I'll never do an amusement park shop. I avoid them at all costs in my personal life too.

I actually do some of the $10 grocery stores where you have to spend $5 regularly. I already shopped at the stores occasionally and you'd be surprised how much you can get at this particular store for $5

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

CMilton
Star Contributor

North Haledon, NJ
USA
379 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  05:31:14 AM  Visit CMilton's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
You'd be surprised how many "girly girls" ride motorcycles (I do) and how little most people who are starting out to ride actually know about motorcycles. I bought my first one before I even had a lesson. Those shops are fun, though I almost bought a 10,000. bike on the last go round!

C.

celia milton
Gold Certified 2004, nzcy0k
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums