Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Shops you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

Terra
Star Contributor

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  05:57:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a new one... I saw a digital pizza shop and expressed interest. I received an email and it said it was reimb only. I called to verify this and explained that I will not mutilate my pizza for reimb only. I received two phone calls from the same scheduler after this, and explained the same thing again. I was fine doing the non-digital shops for reimb only (well, not for the other company that now requires a med. size), but it seems all of my local shops have become digital... No way.

MSPA Silver Certified #ectp6r
Go to Top of Page

Alysha
Contributor

IN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  06:22:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Terra

I have a new one... I saw a digital pizza shop and expressed interest. I received an email and it said it was reimb only. I called to verify this and explained that I will not mutilate my pizza for reimb only. I received two phone calls from the same scheduler after this, and explained the same thing again. I was fine doing the non-digital shops for reimb only (well, not for the other company that now requires a med. size), but it seems all of my local shops have become digital... No way.

I have only done the non-photo, medium pizza shop. What do you have to do that "mutilates" your pizza for the photo shop? If it's okay to explain it, that is......

As for the shotgun shop - it's basically a compliance check to see if they are following proper guidelines for firearms - you don't actually have to purchase it. However, I hate hunting and am not at ALL comfortable around firearms, so I would NOT be a good candidate for this one.

As for not doing any shops under $35, around here, I have not seen one for over $15 or $20! As long as they are not too involved and I can line up a few and make it worth the trip, I don't mind doing them the $15 ones. I even took two $10 shops because they were right next to each other and pretty easy to do - no purchases, etc.

As for not taking the purchase and return shops, I'm about to do two of those soon. I worked in retail, and I don't think it's all that odd for someone to change their mind. If you pretend you're shopping for a gift for someone and then simply changed your mind or went over budget, no big deal.

In the past, not as a shopper, I have returned something before even leaving the store! <where is the "embarassed" smiley???> I bought a video game for my son and before I left the store, I realized it was rated "teen", which he's not, so I had to return it. So, it does happen and isn't as suspicious as it maybe seems when you're the shopper.

Alysha
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
626 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  08:34:18 AM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Funny how many of us don't want the motorcycle shop. They must be hard to fill, because I got an email again for it today. I don't like motorcycles, they terrify me, and I know nothing about them.

And as for the 63 yr old "just to be married"-why not? A lot of people your age may be getting re-married after a divorce or widowhood.

Gosh, I wonder what all grocery and home improvement shops you've done. The ones I do are quite easy, with no names on the groceries or anything. I love these, as long as the monthly scenario fits my needs. And the home improvement, shopping in one or two departments and getting a decent fee-love it!

I have not done a return scenario, don't really want to. I'd be afraid I'd be tagged as a "frequent returner" or have some problem with the return and be stuck with the item.

How do I get some of those high end jewelry shops? I don't own a lot of expensive jewelry, but I sure do like looking at it.

And again, not much fast food for me. I don't eat beef at all, can't stand the stuff, and I also don't drink soft drinks. I guess I could choke down a Sprite and not gag, but cola products make me cringe. And that stuff is sooo bad for you. How do you ff shoppers do it, and not weigh 300 lbs with sky high cholesterol levels? I watch what I eat. Now, if I had to order a chicken or fish sandwich I could do it.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

PennyC
Star Contributor

GA
USA
658 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  09:24:50 AM  Visit PennyC's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alysha

...I saw a motorcycle shop listed today. Uh, don't think I could pull THAT one off. Not the motorcycle type.
I actually tried this one within the last month. The initial call is a different scenario than the visit. My husband heard me on the phone & told me I "might not be able to pull this one off." I lost my courage, called the scheduler & she reassured me that with the visit scenario I'd be fine.
Well, I wore pink high heeled sandals to the show room, no one else there was wearing pink....I really felt uncomfortable. I was totally nervous when they asked me to sit on a bike. I kept repeating in my head, don't let go, like my training wheels had just been removed.
Yeah, never again!

PennyC
MSPA Gold Certified 5/04
Shopping Gwinnett, Hall and Jackson Counties in Georgia
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethG
Valued Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  09:30:19 AM  Send ElizabethG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I take my husband with me, and I pass myself off as a plausible passenger. My husband adores motorcycles and would kill for a Harley if we could afford it and didn't live in the city. So the conversation is normal and natural. I just have to make sure my husband doesn't lead the salesman too much and lets the salesman ask what he's supposed to ask.

Gold Certified yysqi1
Shopping Chicago and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

ToniaP
Valued Contributor

Nashua, NH
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:10:14 PM  Send ToniaP an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My BF and I love the pizza shops both digital and non. We just took two that each had a pay of $25.00! We got two pizzas and $50.00 for less than 20 minutes of work. We have never considered our pizza "mutilated" bc I like to cut my pizza slices that way any way. He does the photos and I fill out the report. Done in 10 minutes tops.

No for the ones I won't touch:

Hotel Shops that require 6 hours of work filling out the report for $10.00 pay. Maybe if it was a really nice hotel...but not the kind I had. This place was run down in a bad part of town. Now, I have done hotel shops that had no pay attached...but they were easy forms and nice hotels.

Fish Taco Shops Gross food, low pay, instructions that say you can do one thing but you really can't and then you get your shop rejected. No thanks.

MSPA Silver Certified n8vjl4
Go to Top of Page

Debbie Haas

Slidell, LA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:36:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh I would love a Harley shop. We ride Harleys so I would fit right in, leathers and all

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Terra
Star Contributor

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:38:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My attitude about a $25 bonus would be much different than reimbursement only...

MSPA Silver Certified #ectp6r
Go to Top of Page

AnneZ
Valued Contributor

Warrenton, VA
USA
127 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  1:56:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There was a report on Good Morning America today about all the older gals who are getting into Harleys!! There's even a club, Motor Maids, I think they called it. I'd do it if I could snag the job!!

I am also against the purchase and return gigs. Too many retailers are using the 'list' now. I'm just not willing to rack up that many returns.

I'll do just about any kind of shop for a DECENT fee...

AnneZ MSPA Silver certification
shopping Northern Virginia and military bases
Go to Top of Page

AudreyB
Valued Contributor

West Plains, Missouri
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  4:31:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The only Pizza Shop I have ever seen (and it paid way less than $10.00) was one where I had to take the Pizza and flip it upside down and mutilate it. After looking at all the stuff they want me to do to the Pizza, not even my teenagers would eat it, so I guess I was right in turning that one down.

Audrey

Audrey
happily shopping southern Missouri and northern Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

CherylMASS
Valued Contributor

Massachusetts
USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  5:33:02 PM  Send CherylMASS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote

Ones I won't do have been previously mentioned: the low fee grocery store shop that needs each department visited; the low fee shops that require a pre-test (the paperwork on each test goes through reams of paper).

I would love to do a motorcycle shop! Vroom, Vroom!

Cheryl
Central Mass, Providence,RI and Nashua, NH
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  7:51:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We do the motorcycle shop as often as they let us. We have two Harleys in the family and hubby loves to go with me to see that his favorite shop is doing what they are suppose to be doing.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

MarySmithCA

CA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  9:01:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I avoid apartment shops as I'm leery of the amount of personal information you have to give them. I'm not keen on return shops, either. But most shops I'll try once.

Proudly MSPA Silver Certified and shopping Central California
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  9:58:04 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I avoid purchase and return shops because I don't want to be flagged and they don't pay enough.

The famous bed and bath shop where you must talk to every employee for little reimbursement.

Bank shops where you must open an account or use your real information, because I have too many accounts as it is and I don't want to be flagged.

I have declined hotel shops for a chain that does not have a pool - no benefot to me, my kids would rather be home.

I do take grocery shops for the store I prefer to shop at, reimbursement only shops wher the restaurant or service is something I want, and pizza shops even after the reimbursement dropped to medium only.

I'm getting tired of a lot of shop scenarios, but these

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Molly Brown
Star Contributor

HI
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  04:24:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
mmm pizza.. if it's a delivery order for some tasty pizza...then I'll do the reinbursement only =) as long as I don't have to leave my cozy home =)
Go to Top of Page

Rachel217
Valued Contributor

Montreal, Quebec
Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  05:05:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the engagement ring shop - it was a blast! I know I didn't fit the expected profile of the engagement ring shopper (49-year-old woman with gray hair) but I came up with (and cleared with the scheduler) the scenario that I never got a proper ring when my hubby and I got engaged back in the day.

I'd love to do the Harley shop - it's a perfect fit for me b/c it goes with the "middle-aged crisis" profile!

I won't do FF shops as a rule, or purchase/returns.

Silver certified, shopping the Greater Montreal area!
Go to Top of Page

Andi
Star Contributor

FL
USA
740 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  05:29:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After applying for the Harley shop 4 times, I finally got one a few
weeks ago. It really wasn't bad at all. I spent a fair amount of
time in the store (inquiring about parts, etc) but it was interesting. And, I have no riding experience whatsoever. I did feel prepared, though, since I perused the Harley website to get
familiar with the bike I was inquiring about.

Andi
MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping Central Eastern Florida
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth_B
Valued Contributor

Fort Greely, AK
USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  09:35:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did the motorcycle shop once and enjoyed it even though I would not even ride on a motorcycle on a dare.

I went in and said that I had been riding on the back of my bf's bike but we were thinking of doing a long road trip and thought I should get my own. The salesman was great and I even caught myself thinking, "Hey maybe this wouldn't be a bad idea...".

If you look around, you'll find a lot of motorcycle clubs with members 50 and over so being older and a female is not as unusual as you may think. I wore jeans but and I'm 49YO.

I did the leather jacket accessories shop by saying that I wanted to get a birthday present for my son.

Elizabeth
MSPA Silver tlw34x
Fort Greely, Alaska. With trips to Ohio for work breaks.
Go to Top of Page

LauraLohfink
Trainee

Platteville, Wisconsin
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  11:47:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
found one today that asked for 10 names and titles plus number of people working in the store plus a lot fo other stuff. $5. No Thank You

Shopping the WI/IA/IL Tri-State Area
Go to Top of Page

ToniaP
Valued Contributor

Nashua, NH
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  5:02:00 PM  Send ToniaP an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maybe I am doing a different pizza shop. I honestly don't consider what I have to do "mutilation" and neither does my BF. Once the pizza is flipped back over, it looks totally normal. It just looks like some people wanted larger slices which in my case is true. My BF likes his pieces larger and I like mine smaller.

We would gladly do the digital ones for reimbursement only but have never had to. They have always paid at least $6.00. Luckily, the locations that I do for non-digital don't offer medium so I always get reimbursed for large.

This is one of my top 2 favorite shops.

MSPA Silver Certified n8vjl4
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums