Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TabbyTutu

Denver, CO
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  07:04:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok everyone, what about a cheap way and maybe healthier way to control various house pests. The house we moved into has lots of spiders, and one had babies in my bathroom!! UGH! Thousands of little baby spiders the 1st week we moved in! What ideas do you all have? When we lived in Florida we used Boric Acid to keep away the cockroaches (which are huge!) but I have never heard of anything for spiders. Let's hear your solutions.

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  07:34:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi,
You could buy "spiderX" traps. They are safe to use. I can't remember how much they cost, but I can check it out for you, if you want to know.

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ShaunaInOregon
Valued Contributor

Canby, Oregon
USA
231 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  09:10:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would go through and vacuum everywhere, which I'm sure you already did. Just make sure that you get underneath and inside all of the cabinets and cupboards and get all of the webs out of the corners of the ceiling. If you see a nest then vacuum it up and get rid of the bag right away, obviously.

My mom used to have a problem with fleas and she used these things that have sticky paper on them and you plug them in and the fleas jump on it and get stuck. When she used those things then there were always spiders on it too, though she didn't even really seem to have a spider problem. I might try using one of those things just because they are not harmful to anyone else and I remember them being relatively inexpensive.

I hope you're able to get this all fixed so that you can enjoy your house to yourself again!

Shopping the Portland and surrounding areas.

MSPA Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

TabbyTutu

Denver, CO
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  08:36:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thoughts. I will try to find out about the spiderx traps, and I will continue the vacuuming..until then my son and hubby get to be the exterminators as spiders give me the "creepy crawlies". At least they are not the poisonous ones that are here in Colorado. I don't know what I would do if they were black widows!
Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

.Carla Thompson
Inactive

Wichita, KS
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  10:36:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay, I have a question for TabbyTutu. When you said you use boric acid for cockroaches, did you actually ever have them? Or did you just use it to keep them out? I am wondering because I have them and they are absolutely disgusting! I have had exterminators over here and the roaches are still here! They are driving me nuts! Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

Thanks

Carla Thompson
Go to Top of Page

TabbyTutu

Denver, CO
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  10:07:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Carla, Yes we had them, but got rid of them in several different homes. I know that in California the exterminators use large doses of boric acid to get rid of them. What you do is buy some boric acid (you can usually get it at Rite Aid, Walgreens etc). Put it in the backs of your cabinets, near the sink, under the sink,behind the stove and fridge and in other moist areas of the house or where there is food (pantry etc). Just put a small pile or a line of the powder. What happens is that the roaches get it on their feet and it dries them out, as well as tracking it back to their nests and they just disappear!!! I worked for us in the past every time. If you have young ones it is ok too because most of the places you put it is out of the way. Hope it helps get rid of them!!!! BTW Boric acid is also a great and cheap way of curing the common yeast infection for women!!!!

Good luck,
Tabby
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  07:46:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Carla, I am feeling your pain now! I just moved to a different location and the previous tenants had those relatives that never left...you know, the little brown ones with the six legs! Anyway, the landlord sprayed and that helped a little but you can use the boric acids like everyone stated. I bought some boric acid at the 99cent store and I also bought those little Combat "hotels". They run in, run out and then die! Hope this helps!

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

.Carla Thompson
Inactive

Wichita, KS
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  3:38:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for the feedback! I bought some boric acid and today we have moved everything, cleaned, and then applied the stuff in all of the cracks and crevices. What a pain! Anyway, I will let you know how it works. I just want to get rid of those disgusting creatures!

Carla Thompson
Go to Top of Page

SoCalColleen
Valued Contributor

Ca
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  5:01:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Baking soda and sugar seems to work well against ants, and possibly others. It is my understanding that since they can't belch, they blow up, and die. I wouldn't heve believed it, but my dad's house had become ant riddled, and he tried it. Within a few days, they were gone!

:-)
Go to Top of Page

Jean_GA
Valued Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  5:09:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have heard that you can use orange peels to rid your house of spiders. I never tried it, so I don't know if it works.

Anyone have any ideas on how to rid your house of scorpions?

MSPA Gold Plus Shopper shopping Northwest Metro Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

JaniceH
Contributor

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  1:29:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can also use dry yeast mixed with honey or syrup to kill ants. Same principal as above; the yeast swells and bye-bye ants. They take it back to their nests too.
Go to Top of Page

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  5:13:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't recall where I heard this and I know it sounds strange, but I tried it and it works!
Ants will not cross over a chalk line, so if you are bothered by ants coming in your door(which mine were),just make a wide chalk line at the entrance.

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

.Carla Thompson
Inactive

Wichita, KS
USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  6:22:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: The boric acid seems to be working! We still see a few here and there but it is definitely better than before!

Also, I wanted to let those of you with spider problems know that putting dish soap around the outside of your doors seems to work well. My mom had a problem once and that's what she did.

Carla Thompson
Go to Top of Page

JenniferMartin
Contributor

San Antonio, TX
USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  7:10:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
my mother in law mixes liquid dish soap with water in a spray bottle & sprays around the perimeter of her house to keep ants & spiders at bay. when the spiders get really bad, she just uses plain liquid dish soap around the house, it seems to work for her

~*~Shopping San Antonio everyday of the week & Pleasanton on the weekends~*~
MSSIC: jennifermartintx
Go to Top of Page

LoraW_VA

Virginia Beach, VA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2004 :  7:10:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a "cure" for pantry moths?
My MIL calls them miller moths.
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2004 :  8:13:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know the answer for the pantry, or miller moths, but I have a new, related question:

Has anyone tried any of those electronic devices that supposedly keep bugs, spiders and rodents away from your entire house with an electromagnetic force field, or something similar to that? I don't remember the exact phraseology of the technology, but that's generally how it works. These sell for $29.99 or so per device, and each device is supposed to be good for about 500 to 700 square feet. You just plug them into an available wall outlet, and voila! No more annoying critters.

Has anyone used these? Are they any good? Worth the money?

I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer. Thanks!

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

CFarides

Melbourne, FL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2004 :  9:11:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
An inexpensive, commercial product for roaches is Harris Tablets. I buy them at Publix and I have used them for years. They are not as messy as boric acid and they work. When I moved into my house, years ago, the house was overrun with these ugly things. I bought Harris Tablets and after cleaning the whole house, I spread these around. It only takes about 3 tablets per room. I threw them into the corners or under furniture and soon they were no more. I hope this helps you with your problem. Just my worth.

Cliff
Go to Top of Page

JenniferMartin
Contributor

San Antonio, TX
USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  07:17:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Linda,
We used the electronic devices after out downstairs neighbors moved out & we got swarmed with roaches & mice. For about 6 months (I believe) they worked really well, but it seems as if they got used to it as we now have a few roaches again, but not as many as before & no mice. So if you're looking to get rid of mice, go for it!

~*~Shopping San Antonio everyday of the week & Pleasanton on the weekends~*~
MSSIC: jennifermartintx
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  8:00:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jennifer.

Actually, I don't have any rodents that I know of; I'm primarily just looking for a good reliable method to get rid of ALL bugs and spiders. These particular devices advertise that they will also get rid of rodents; that's the only reason I included it in my post. In fact, they warn that if you have a hamster or a ferret as a pet, it's not a good idea to use them.

I'm wondering if the 6-month timeframe on your device has something to do with the device 'burning out' per se, and not so much the critters getting used to it? Have you tried replacing it with a new device? Just curious.

I know that roaches are incredibly hardy and resilient, and will get strong in time against something that used to kill them, but that seems to not be very feasible with this device. Then again, what do I know? That's why I'm asking.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

Lori Michele
Apprentice

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  06:16:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for posting about the baking soda and sugar, I just put it out and they are swarming to it and it looks like some of them are even dying right away.

The Best is Yet to Be
Go to Top of Page

Catherine777OC
Contributor

Lake Forest, CA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  7:11:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LoraW,

I had a pantry moth problem a few months ago. I read on the Internet that the best way to get rid of them was to clear out everything in your pantry, inspect bags and containers, and throw out possible contaminated items. I did that and I then made sure that everything, as much as possible, was in a sealed container. Afterwards, I saw an occasional moth and it took a few weeks for any remaining moths to go through their life cycles, but I am now free of them.

I know, it is a lot of work to clear out the pantries, but I am thankful I did because now they are much more clear and organized. I think I picked them up from the bulk section of my local natural grocery store. In fact, recently I opened a sealed container of quinoa (that I obtained from the bulk bin) and saw a moth in there.

Hope this helps.

Catherine
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums