Page: of 4

TheresaMBaker
Valued Contributor

Tulsa, OK
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  4:09:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
My mom used to have a problem with fleas and she used these things that have sticky paper on them and you plug them in and the fleas jump on it and get stuck.
Do you know where your mom got them? I have a bad flea problem right now, and any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

KristenH
Star Contributor

Palm Springs, CA
USA
382 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  07:48:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know of one way to not bring more bugs into your home...don't use brown paper bags (or empty the bags before you bring them inside) at the grocery store. I've been told that roaches lay their eggs in them and when you bring them inside, the roaches come too. Now does anyone know how to get rid of wasps? I live on a golf course and my pest control gets rid of the ones on my house, but can't keep them away from my pool or grass in the yard.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

TheresaMBaker
Valued Contributor

Tulsa, OK
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  7:33:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kill the nests when you find them? I don't know much about wasps.

I have heard not to buy potatoes in the bag because they also can have roaches in them. It is a little more expensive to buy them the other way, but I have yet to have a roach problem, and they are a big problem in Tulsa.
Go to Top of Page

.Lisa Frazer
Inactive

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  12:06:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, the baking soda and sugar worked great on the ants. I had them real bad in an outside storage building. We had tried several different things with no luck. I would hesitate before using this mixture in my house though. It appears the sugar melted and left a wet area on the wooden floor of the shed. I have not tried to get it up, so I donít know if it will leave the wood stained there or not. It looks oily, but I have not touched it. Thanks for the great tip.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine777OC
Contributor

Lake Forest, CA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  11:14:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Theresa,

For fleas I've used Hansen's Pet System's "De-Lime" Inator, which I don't know if it is still on the market. It contains, "Ortho boric acid and inorganic salts, d-limonene (citrus peel extract), anti-caking agent, and fragrance." It is sprinkled on the carpets, worked in using a broom or something similar, and then left in the carpet for about a week before vacuuming. It can take 4-6 weeks for the fleas to disappear, but I think it was sooner than that for me. I didn't see any fleas after using this. I think I did this treatment once a year; I don't have cats anymore. If you can't find this product, then I suppose you could look for something that has similar ingredients in it.

Catherine
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JordanT
Valued Contributor

Orlando, Florida
USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  8:13:43 PM  Send JordanT an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I lived in a house in the downtown Orlando area with all the really old oak and palm tree's, my house did not go an hour without those darn palmetto bugs.(really big cockroaches)
Well to get rid of them, you want to know my solution?
I bought a new house in a new area that was first starting to boom.
Just wanted to lighten the atmosphere about all these creepy crawler things. Oh, and it also took care of the flea problem as well.
Not that I am suggesting everyone solve the bug problem my way, but it worked for me.

JordanT
Shopping Orlando, Winter Park, Oviedo and Waterford Lakes.
MSPA Gold Certified
#k9ecag
Go to Top of Page

TheresaMBaker
Valued Contributor

Tulsa, OK
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  9:12:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We are about to purchase our first home!! So, maybe that will solve the flea problem as JordanT suggests. But the problem remains, my kitties have fleas, and I am scared to death that they will move with us. We plan to bomb the apartment before we move out, and then pray for the best. We are working to get the fleas off the cats. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated. I have tried sprinkling borax and salt on the carpet and vacuuming 24 hours later...DID not work. I am just so frustrated!! Nothing seems to work. Well, tomorrow we're trying some stuff we bought. I hope it works. I am sick of flea bites and my cats scratching. It is awful, not to mention they do carry disease.
Go to Top of Page

JordanT
Valued Contributor

Orlando, Florida
USA
155 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  1:26:39 PM  Send JordanT an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
TMBaker:

When we were moving, we brought all three cats to the vet for the day.
We had the vet shampoo them and hold them till the end of the day.
Luckily, the area we moved to did not have any outdoor animals roaming like the old neighborhood.
That is what took care of our flea problem.
The old neighborhood had dogs and cats roaming everywhere.
My cats were all indoor cats and still are. But the fleas still managed to get inside the house.
Hope this helps you some.

JordanT
Shopping Orlando, Winter Park, Oviedo and Waterford Lakes.
MSPA Gold Certified
#k9ecag
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  11:21:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
TMBaker,

Here's what worked for me. Take all 3 cats to the groomer and have them flea dipped no more or less than 10 to 14 days before moving day. The timing on this is critical. Then, seven to ten days before moving day (depending on when the flea dip took place), give them each a treatment of Frontline (it's expensive, but worth every penny!). It's important to wait 2-3 days after they've been flea dipped to put the Frontline on them. You don't want to mix different flea treatments together, and this gives the flea dip time to wear off.

This guarantees that by moving day, those cats won't be bringing any fleas with them to your new home. Having them live in the old flea-infested home for 7-10 days after treatment will not, I repeat NOT, be a problem. In fact, the Frontline on their bodies will be killing all the fleas around them for that entire time (and for quite some time thereafter). Frontline WORKS!

I would still bomb the place, however, before you move out so the next people moving in won't have the fleas to deal with. You could have flea egg infestations in your furniture/drapes/whatever, and end up taking them with you. The best time to bomb the place is the very day the cats are getting flea dipped. Take them to the groomer first thing in the morning and leave them at the groomer for as long as possible (all day), and pick them up the last 15 minutes the groomer is still open. Again, mixing flea treatments is not necessarily a good thing for the cats, so you want to bomb the place in the morning as soon as the cats are out of the house, so that by the time they get back, the 'dust has settled' as much as possible. If you can, an even better option is to leave them overnight with somebody before bringing them back to a freshly bombed home.

I realize all this is a hassle, but once you get everything in your new home, you will be SOOOOOO GLAD you did this! I guarantee if you follow these instructions exactly, it will work.

This plan may seem extreme, but trust me, if you want to be COMPLETELY rid of fleas, it's the only way to ensure that every last one is annihilated. They are relentless little buggers, and if you get lazy or complacent at any step of this plan, you'll rue the day you decided not to do an all-out attack.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

TheresaMBaker
Valued Contributor

Tulsa, OK
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  01:08:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The flea problem isn't our apartment, it's the ENTIRE complex. I have never dealt with anything quite like this, not as an adult anyway. We have lived in several places with these two cats, and they go outside. Here is what concerns me: The fleas are EVERYWHERE here. Oh, and they love me!! I vacuum about every other day (yesterday I vacuumed twice, though.) It cuts down on the fleas, and we are bathing the cats once a week. That helps. The main problem, other than the MAIN proble, is that one of my kitties is HIGHLY allergic to these fleas. He gets a pretty bad rash from them. The other cat is hardly bothered by the itching. It's kind of the same for my husband and I: they itch me like crazy, and barely look twice at him.

What all does a dip entail? We used Frontline when we got the second cat for earmites. We forgot to get the second month, and I think they went away.

Oh, and I do rue the day we moved HERE. I have never been as unpleased with PEST CONTROL! They come in here, wave their wand, and say that should do it. Ok, great, now spray by the couch, bed, and floor board! Please, not JUST the front door. I will have better tahn decent pest control at the new house. I think it is worth much more than I could ever pay. I know fleas are VERY hard to get rid of, but every "home rememdy" most people have suggested (other than vacuuming daily) doesn't seem to work for us.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The Frontline, dip, and bomb combination isn't much more work than I had already figured I would have to do. The hardest part will be to keep them inside while they are whining to go out. I hope they can wait two weeks until we get to the country, then they will have more than 2 acres that is theirs,a theirs alone. Then, ticks should be our "only" problem....

Thanks,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  02:01:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Theresa,

You asked what a dip entails? It's simply a bath with a flea-killing shampoo. The groomers are really good at getting the killing ingredient deep down into the fur to the skin level in every nook and cranny on your cat, so it's a good all-over washing. That's why the best way to do this is give them the dip while you're bombing the place, then keep them away overnight if possible so they won't be exposed to the bomb dust too soon. That's just the first line of attack to get the majority of the fleas, then the Frontline will take care of the rest from there. Frontline even works if they're outdoor cats, keeping additional fleas from setting up house in their fur. It will be more effective, however, if you can keep them indoors through moving day.

Since you're bathing your cats every week already, they must be pretty used to it. You can give them a flea dip yourself if you want, and save some money. Just buy shampoo that's formulated to kill fleas. I would check with a vet to see if weekly bathing with a flea dip shampoo is a safe frequency with the chemicals you're using, though. Too much exposure to toxic chemicals is not a good thing for your cats.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2004 :  12:07:57 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
For anyone who lives in California and goes to the swapmeets, there is a Chinese chalk called (MIraculous Insecticide Chalk.) It costs about 1.00 for a box of one. It lasts quite awhile. It has no odor, low poison, and kills everything. All you do is make a line down their path, it paralyzes them and they die. For ants, they take it back to the nest and kill the queen. My neighbor used it for flees. She put about 3 pieces in a bag, smushed it, made holes in the bag and sprinkled it over her carpet. She left for a few hours, came back and vacuumed up the varmits. There is no residue. For anyone outside California, I would be glad to go to the swapmeet and get you some. You just have to pay shipping.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Brenda
Star Contributor

MO
USA
543 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  12:20:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When we first bought our house, it was infested with fleas. I had it professionally sprayed three times and could not get rid of the fleas. My aunt told me a secret that worked miracles and was very inexpensive as well. Everynight before you go to bed, sprinkle all carpets and upholstered funiture with regular table salt. Let it set overnight then run the vaccum in the morning and again in the night before you sprinkle with salt. What is the price of a box of salt? Something like .38 cents??? I haven't been bothered with them again and I did this 3 nights in a row. I originally thought she was wacko, but since I had tried everything else with no results I thought what did I have to lose. I have since then told others about it and they have had the same experience and success as me.
Go to Top of Page

TheresaMBaker
Valued Contributor

Tulsa, OK
USA
221 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  12:38:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, we found this stuff Sergeant's PreTect Household Flea and Tick Spray. Our flea population has greatly decreased. (I mean, there are virtually NO fleas.) Also, I misread the flea bath stuff (I think also Sergeant's), so the poor kitties are getting bathed this weekend, properly bathed, that is.

Oh, and as new as I am, I have a REALLY good shop coming up: a VET shop! How much better luck could I get? I'm probably doing it too early since the house (if our offer won) won't close until the 25th. (Wish us luck!!!!)

I think the fleas are beat. And I will try the salt to keep them gone.

Theresa

Update (08/04/2004): Well, I completed the Vet shop. It is confirmed, my kitty is HIGHLY allergic to fleas. Our flea problem is still under control. Yesterday I only found three. As opposed to hundreds the last time I posted. The vet told us that once both cats are treated with Advantage (which they were yesterday) that the fleas should die off. My poor kitty. He has an infection from all of this. He may have some other problems, however, the vet just wants to worry about the fleas right now. Until they are gone, she doesn't want to compromise his immune system. He needs it full intact. If I were the suing type, I would be all over this complex.
Go to Top of Page

TXbecky
Valued Contributor

Texas
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  9:47:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to pay an exterminator high dollars to come on a regular basis and spray inside and outside my home to keep bugs away. One of my co-workers told me to go to a local feedstore and ask for "Daemon". One package has four separate inner packs which each dissolve in a gallon of water. I fill my gallon sprayer with water, add a pack of "Daemon", and spray only outside my home. I found out at the feed store that most exterminators in this area use exactly the same product. By doing it myself, I am saving $288 dollars a year. I have lots of trees, so any tree close to my house is also sprayed at least 6 feet up the trunk. For inside the house, bay leaves placed in the corners of your pantry will keep any crawling insects away. If you live in an area where weavils might be a problem, you can actually put one bay leaf into your flour or cornmeal canister without affecting the flavor of them. I had the pleasure of getting fleas in my carpet and was told to use 20 Mule Team Borax. We sprinkled it on the carpet and under the cushions of the furniture. After 24 hours, we vacuumed. Seven days later, we repeated the process to kill any eggs which may have hatched. This solved our problem - never saw another one.

Becky
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Mimi
Star Contributor

USA
1691 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  12:29:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Becky, I thought Dallas was the buggiest place in the world, but I think Houston has it beat by a mile!!! The main problem is it rarely freezes here so the bugs live on and on...at least we could get a good ice storm in Dallas once or twice a year and that would kill lots of bugs. Here, it's like living in the tropics!!!

I bought one of those plug in things that someone was talking about earlier and I haven't seen a bug in ages. They are in the garage, however, and these dudes are TX size animals!!! You could ride some of them!!! They only seem to be in there at night, so I never go in the garage after dark.

Mimi
Go to Top of Page

Rae Wells
Apprentice

Inverness, FL
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  1:11:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Speaking of flea control- here's a tip from my vet (and I use it, and it works) All Advantage Flea Control products are exactly the same formula. To treat three adult cats, you can buy ONE package of Advantage for dogs 55 lbs + and split one tube three ways- put a drop on the back of the neck of all three cats and you treated them for 1/3 of the price. I have a medium sized dog and a large cat so I split one big dog tube between them at half the cost (2/3 to the dog and 1/3 on the cat). You can't beat the spot on stuff for fleas either, you don't even have to treat the house. (Note that Frontline does not work the same way as Advantage, and the Frontline Plus can be toxic to other species than the one it was intended to treat. This only works for the original advantage forumla)

Now, any cheap ways to get rid of HOUSEFLIES? (fruit flies AND houseflies actually)
Go to Top of Page

TabbyTutu

Denver, CO
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  06:43:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
YES! Fruit flies are invading my kitchen, and spreading! I brought home a bunch of bananas from Costco and now those little pests are all over! If there is no fruit out, they go for the dish rags or the trash! UGH. If there are alot in one area, I squirt them with water and then just wipe them up, but it does not seem to get them all! HELP!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  6:13:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I buy Victor brand insecticides, and they work very well. They are poison-free, so are safe to use around animals and small children. The main ingredient is mint oil. I have found it works very well for flying insects (flies, fruit flies, mosquitos) and crawling critters (ants and water beetles). I have never tried it on fleas. If you spray around your doors and windows and on your screens you can greatly reduce the number of critters coming in from outdoors.

I have only seen this brand at Menards Home Improvement store, but I imagine it can be found at other places. The cost is comparable to other, more popular name-brands.

I also make my own mint insecticide by cutting and steeping the plants, as if to make tea, and spreading it around the basement area. I have a creepy, unfinished basement in an older house (built 1851, so I have a real root cellar), so I can just slosh the tea on the floor and toss the debris into the root cellar/crawl space areas.

Now, if I could just get rid of those pesky Asian beetles--the ones that look like orange lady bugs. They bite and they stink.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

GailGibbsYoung
Star Contributor

Salem, OR
USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  09:25:25 AM  Visit GailGibbsYoung's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Fleas will move with you if you do not get rid of them on the cat. For the past few years I have had no problems with fleas, or for that matter ticks which are also prevalent in my area.

From the end of frost in April until the first frost in October, I use Frontline Plus. Since I have 4 cats, this can get pricey, but I find that when I get it through eBay I can get it for about $2/application. My last batch came from Launceston, Tasmania. It took only about a week to get here. It was a buy it now item so I didn't have to wait for an auction to end.

I also use a spray on my carpeting that kills the eggs and larva. I apply it one room at a time, spray heavily, close the room off for half an hour, and then vacuum thoroughly. Pay specialy attention to baseboard areas and under furniture. This prevents the little critters from multiplying and choosing you for a host since your pets are no longer suitable hosts.

And last but not least, Frontline Plus lasts between 6 -8 weeks, so you don't really need to apply it every 30 days. Also, my cats have never had any ill effects from using Frontline Plus.

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED dejlg4
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ģ Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums