Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  11:34:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jnanne

I buy Victor brand insecticides, and they work very well. They are poison-free, so are safe to use around animals and small children. The main ingredient is mint oil.

I also make my own mint insecticide by cutting and steeping the plants, as if to make tea, and spreading it around the basement area.

This is interesting, Jeanne. The other night I was doing an internet search to find out if there was some natural herb that repels mice, and I found abundant testimony that mint is the best thing (peppermint and spearmint were recommended most). I didn't realize it works on insects too. I did see one site that sells mint oil in spray form, and it warned not to spray it on painted surfaces. Do you find it affects your paint any when spraying it on window frames? I have peppermint teabags and I am placing a couple in each of my cupboards and drawers to see if it works. I'm also planning to drop a few down my airducts since they like to hang out there. As a bonus, it should make my house smell nice and fresh!

I wish I knew how they got in. We have an older home, too, but it's been remodeled with new windows and drywall and such. Still, they come in every fall.
Go to Top of Page

WendiJH
Valued Contributor

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  08:23:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok i hate roaches like most people and i thank you all for the post on how to get rid of them with the boric acid... i have a cure that is cheap for fleas if you are all having a problem with them...take a pan with sides, like a bakeing sheet cake pan or something that will hold water with very little sides. fill the pan with warm soapy wather place it on the floor by the area u are having the fleas, take a lamp, like a bendable reading lamp, we use our computer stand lamp, place it so that it is inches away from the water, the fleas are attracted to the light and jump onto the water and can not jump out because of the soap. We have also used a light that we put 2 chairs beside and taped it to the legs above the water..it works very well..and when u are done..down the drain they go..

as far as spiders..we use some stuff called bengal ant roach flea and tick spray..it works well for the spiders too... hope this helped..u can get it at sams, walmart, or some drug stores..not that expensive...
wendi i hate bugs...lol...but RATS...are the worse..lol... our dogs seem to come up with them...not sure where from...and dont want to know lol..as long as they are dead..lol
Go to Top of Page

K.Willingham
Star Contributor

Mobile, Alabama
USA
254 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  09:17:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We get our house professionally sprayed and still have spiders and flea occasionally. The people that sprayed said for spiders they must walking the pesticide or it wont kill them. For fleas I have noticed that when we live around cats that wonder around the fleas seem to be bad. Our vet keeps the dog on flea meds, I am sure it works for cats too.

For pantry moths my Mom had those, she ordered a box to put in the pantry. I think it was from Vermont Country store.

Anyone know if the ant solution works in cars? Since the hurricane we have had ants in the car. And what about keeping them out of pets outside food?

Kathryn
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2004 :  09:39:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a tip on TV for those of you who are vaccuuming a lot to keep the flea population down. Put a flea collar into the vaccuum bag. This will kill any fleas you vacuum up along with their eggs so they don't multiply inside the bag and escape back into the house in greater numbers.
Go to Top of Page

DallasElizabeth

Dallas, Texas
USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  12:52:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last night, I found some little ants on my kitchen counter. Remembering what I read in here, I mixed up some sugar and baking soda and sat a small paper plate out with it as well as leaving several tiny piles on the counter.
Today, there is not an ant in sight! NOT ONE! Thanks for the great tip. No insecticide smell, nothing harmful to my dog - I love it.
Now then, is it really true that fleas can live and multiply in your vacuum cleaner bag? What if it's a disposable bag? I may have a small third-world country of fleas living in my closet inside the vacuum if this is fact....
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  3:42:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Vonnette--I have never noticed a problem with the paint. And I expect the ants come in any way they can: through the crawl space, into the walls, and into the house via the outlets or pipe openings, for instance.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  7:34:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was actually talking about the mice when I said I can't figure out how they get in. We are fortunate not to have an ant problem (though we used to in Omaha). I'm glad to hear the mint spray hasn't affected your paint. I was puzzled as to why it would. I suppose the website that had that warning was just being extra cautious in case there was any chance of damage because they didn't want someone to sue them. I'd like to spray diluted mint oil all around our foundation and doors to repel the mice so they won't come in anymore. Then I'll just have to worry about trapping the ones I have. I was thinking about planting some mint around the foundation next spring, but I hear it's a very invasive plant and will try to take over and choke out anything else you have planted. So maybe I should just grow some in a pot to have on hand.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  5:37:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have several varieties of mint, and have found that chocolate mint does not spread like the others. I have it planted in small clumps near the house, but not in enough quantities to be of much use as a deterent to entering the house. The other types of mint are near the alley, where nothing much else wanted to grow, anyway, and they spread to fill the available space in one season.

If you want to grow peppermint or spearmint, and contain where it spreads, it can be done, but requires a bit of work. You can either plant clay pots of the mint, keeping the top inch or two of the pot above the soil line, or you can dig out the area where you want the mint, line it with heavy black plastic, and refill with the soil and a rigid border, like brick or stone. Either way you need to monitor whether it is reaching over the edge and trim as needed. If you are harvesting it, anyway, this is easy to do. An easier method would be to do container gardening and just keep them above ground. I don't know if the roots would need extra protection during the winter, though.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

SarahH
Star Contributor

MI
USA
313 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  10:15:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ok- I know this is a really old post- but I was wondering if anyone had any surefire ways to keep ants off trees, and how to keep them out of my garden! GRRRR! We have tried that Seven ant killer and they just walk right through it....... so irritating..... and we are afraid they are killing our big old oak tree out front! We currently do not have the excess to hire an exterminator.... so I need some tips please!!!
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  11:43:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the house, Borax (the powdered laundry stuff) forms a barrier ants will not cross. (It has Boric Acid in it.) You can sprinkle the powder around or mix it in water and spray it. But I'm not sure how it would affect plantlife if you use it in the yard. I'm wondering with the tree if the ants are actually a symptom that the tree is already failing. I can't imagine why the ants would be attracted to it unless there is rotting wood and leaking sap -- unless they are carpenter ants. Are they really big or just average sized?
Go to Top of Page

SarahH
Star Contributor

MI
USA
313 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  09:18:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vonette

Are they really big or just average sized?

Well- they are the normal sized black ants.... but this Oak tree is HUGE- and I do mean huge, its about three feet thick.... if it came down it would be on our house!!!!!!! The tree does not appear to be failing in any way.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  11:26:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I have had a lot of experience with carpenter ants in my house. They are the really big, black ants (at least in Centeral IL). They die from the mint oil just like other types of ants. I imagine you can spray the tree with that without any harm to the tree.

Unlike termintes, carpenter ants don't eat wood. The actually prefer to eat honey above anything else. They do, however, make use of damaged wood for their homes. They are happy to move into wood where termites used to be or where there is dry rot.

Lately I have been using Ant Block around the foundation of the house in an effort to kill off the colonies that might want to move in soon, rather than waiting until they do. I sure hope this stuff works as well as the advertisements claim.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

PheePhee
Valued Contributor

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  1:52:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One thing I have found to work with roaches is spraying them with dishwashing liquid and water. the die within a few seconds. So this is good to use if you saw some around the sink or on the wall. Of course you wouldn't want to use it around electrical appliances.

For Mice try mixing peanut butter with powered laundry detergent. The detergent drys them up. I heard that windex works, placing it in little bowls around the house, also beer because they can't expel gas

Phee
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Debra
Star Contributor

Colorado Springs, CO
USA
629 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  2:42:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had a question for anyone that uses dishsoap to get rid of spiders.....how exactly do you use it? Just mix with water and spray around the house? I was confused about how to use it around doors. I've just been using a RAID spray, when I see them. What bothers me is that I know there are more hiding from me, and I can't live with spiders (see "What are you afraid of" thread in "Random Thoughts" ). My dah won't let me get one of the electronic devices, he says they're a scam.

Thanks for any info!!
Debra

Shopping the Rockies
MSPA Gold Certified #cdgxel
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  09:14:54 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
No one has posted for quite awhile, and there was a few great suggestions for roaches, which we don't get up here. Im looking for a way to get rid of FLEAS in the house. My deceased, much missed Smokie never had a flea. All the years I had her, I purchased bags of Ortho flea, tick, and other bug killer, and spread it on the whole yard, and bushes yearly when I fertilized. But now, this new pup we got is going absolutely nuts with them. My son came to visit for a couple of weeks after Labor Day, and since then the pup started to suffer. My son is staying with his younger brother while in WI, and they have a flea bitten dog that is allowed inside, and on all furniture. YUK! We think my son brought the fleas into our home either on his wheelchair, or in his clothing. Does anyone have a suggestion? ShaunaInOregon mentioned her mother using some kind of sticky paper that attracted fleas, does anyone know what that is, or,where its available?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  2:14:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Once fleas have established residence in carpeting or upholstered furniture it is very hard to get rid of them. I used an insect bomb years ago that worked and sent me to ICU because of allergies. Don't recall the brand, but won't be doing that again.

Nature's Garden, Victor, and EcoSmart are all brands that I have found to work well in spray or powder form. Pick a day to take the animals to the groomers for complete make-overs to get them out of the house, wash all bedding, plus all your blankets and pillows, and couch throws, etc. Even if the animals don't jump on the furniture the fleas do. Vacuum thoroughly. Powder everything liberally--carpeting, furniture, bedding. Dump the vacuum in the outside trash. Let it all sit while you enjoy a leisurely lunch out (away from the overpowering smell of concentrated clove, cinnamon, mint, etc.) for an hour or so. Return home and enjoy the power exercise of vacuuming everything all over again. Then hop in the car to go get your pampered creature family members who should be flea-free and coming into a flea-free home.

Or call an exterminator. Either way the animals have to be treated.

Good luck and have fun. Think of it as an adventure, a chance to burn some calories, and a chance to get all those dust bunnies out from under the big pieces of furniture that you hardly ever have a reason to move!

Did I mention we have 3 dogs and 7 cats. Cats never go out, but dogs do. We have a professional treat the yard for fleas in the spring and the dogs take Trifexis for heartworm, fleas, ticks, tapeworms. We haven't had to worry about indoor fleas for a few years.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  07:39:30 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Janane, I will keep the bombs in mind. But, we got good news yesterday. Buttons doesnt have fleas. Thats a relief! Its dry skin thats driving her nuts. I had purchased a jar of Coconut oil for myself, so were now mixing a 1/4 t. in with her food as recommended by vet. I sure hope it works good for her skin, because it sure isnt doing anything for mine.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  09:47:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All the brands I mentioned above are "natural" and don't use pyrethrins or pymethrins--which are also natural, as they are derived from marigolds and mums, to which I am allergic.

Anyway, I killed a wasp in the dining room with one of the sprays the other day. It had landed on the hard wood floor (which I already knew was in sad shape and needed attention). The oils in the spray did an excellent job of killing the wasp and reviving the wood. I guess I need to spray and wipe the whole floor. It will smell minty fresh for a few days and will maybe even cut back on the occasional six-legged critter that wants to come up through the crawl space and between the floor boards!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  10:00:15 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was totally amazed with all the uses for Coconut oil! And then to find out it is excellent for our dogs, and cats too. Its good for almost everything that ails us humans, as well as our animal friends, and is much healthier as its all natural. IF you do a search on its uses, and decide to buy it, go to WalMart, a 12 ounce jar is only $10 compared to Walgreen's $10 for a small jar.
Go to Top of Page

MegRentrak
Valued Contributor

Portland, OR
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  09:45:22 AM  Visit MegRentrak's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a kid-friendly way to get rid of stink bugs? I don't even know how they get in the house.

Meg Rodriguez
Rentrak Corporation
mco@rentrak.com
ms.rentrak.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums