Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Amanda AshvilleNC
Valued Contributor

Ashville, NC
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  2:46:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had a bad day today and when I got home I remembered that it was Friday the 13th. Maybe I should have stayed in bed all day.

I did some research before making this post. Here are some "origins of friday the 13th myths"

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  3:11:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am so supersticious - I had the doctor break my water, so I would not have my youngest son on Friday the 13th. It was Thursday, March 12.1992 (6PM). James was born at 8:31 PM, and I kept my promise to my little Nanny, that I would not have a "bad luck baby" on the 13th.
Go to Top of Page

ChristieG
Star Contributor

Germantown, MD
USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  5:28:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hope you have a better night, Amanda!! Sorry to hear you had a bad day.
as for me, I am cautious, but not too worried about Fri. 13th.
Go to Top of Page

MargeryArnold

Austin, TX
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  8:07:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hope your day gets better!

My birthday is May 13, and it seems that with rare exception, it's usually a horrible day! Of course, a lot of it has to do with being on or near Mother's Day, but I still like to think it's the curse of being born on the 13th. And whenever it falls on Friday, it's usually extra terrible.
Go to Top of Page

JanetW
Star Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  8:57:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I only worry about Friday the 13th if I happen to be getting a year older that day. It's a great day to pick up bargain air fares!

MSPS Gold Shopper since Nov. 2002
Shopping New Orleans and Gulfport--points in between and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  9:49:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My oldest son is so superstitious that he will not leave the house on a Friday the 13th. He stays at home all day and won't go out. Last year there were 3 of them.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

MBailey
Star Contributor

Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  11:10:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My bank had severe problems on Friday. I logged on to my online banking account and found that my husband's paycheck had not been deposited (by direct deposit) and that some checks I had written had been deducted twice! I called customer service and was told by the guy that they had been having a true Friday the 13th at the bank...the computers were showing crazy things and they were in the process of fixing them.

Melanie
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  1:51:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It didn't even occur to me that last Friday was a "Friday the 13th" until the next day. It was just an ordinary day for me. I stopped worrying about Friday the 13th after my second child was born on Friday December 13th a few years back. The delivery went perfectly, and he was a beautiful happy baby. Now he's a smart, cheerful first-grader--certainly none the worse for being born on the 13th!
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:57:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Friday the 13th has more often than not been a LUCKY day for me . . . some more than others, and sometimes just purely neutral, but I've never had a BAD Friday the 13th (knock on wood).

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

CarolynNC
Star Contributor

Landis, NC
USA
1204 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  09:52:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just another day for me. I don't recall the day ever being bad just because it was a Friday 13th. If it was a bad day, it was only because "Stuff Happens", and it just happened on that day instead of another. My nerves are bad enough without the worry of a superstition. LOL

I'm not asleep....I'm checking for light leaks! :)
Go to Top of Page

NipunB
Star Contributor

Phillipsburg, NJ
USA
540 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  10:16:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its my parents and my grandparents anniversary this Friday the 13th. its my grand parents 60th aniverasry and there is gonna be a big celebration back home!!

I hope all goes lucky thatd ay!!

Silver Certified. Shopping Pensylvania and New Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Jules in Boston
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  10:53:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
May 13th is our 5 year wedding anniversary!!! It is a lucky day!

GOLD CERTIFIED
Shopping Boston, MA and metro area.
Go to Top of Page

DeborahH
Star Contributor

BC
Canada
804 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  2:42:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My birthday is also May 13, and yes I was born on a Friday. It just seems like a regular day to me, since I have been with DH but with ex boyfriends my birthdays were always awful. The ex destroyed 2 of my cars and each on a different birthday and alot of other horrible things with the ex around. Now you know why he is an ex
Go to Top of Page

JustineR

IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  8:54:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always have great luck on Friday the 13th. My bad luck day is the Ides of March. Somehow I got it in my head that it is unlucky and it has always stuck. Thankfully it only comes around once a year but often I just stay hidden for the whole day. Sometimes I think all of that stuff is just in your head. I knew a guy who took a vacation day from work every Friday the 13th because he thought it was so unlucky for him.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny T
Valued Contributor

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  10:18:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Haha...I don't need bad luck this Friday 13th...I have already screwed the day up, lol. By that, I mean I scheduled myself for a BUNCH of shops to squeeze in on the extra long lunch hour I am taking. And when I get home? Well! Then I can either stay up really late and complete a shop after midnight or get up SUPER early on Saturday (before 6:00AM) and complete it then. The shop window is (midnight-8AM)...and, yes, apparently I am NUTS!!!
Go to Top of Page

JustineR

IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  8:42:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't forget for all of you needing a pick-me-up on Friday the 13th to stop by Wendy's to get a FREE junior frosty (going on all weekend)! I know anything ice cream like always helps me get through a bad day. DH says I swear that ice cream will cure any ailment both mental and physical. It's a standing joke at our house when I feel bad and say, "You know what would make me feel better?"
Go to Top of Page

StaceyPH888
Valued Contributor

Port Orange, Florida
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  12:23:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This day has always been good luck for me. It has been the day that I have done many exciting things, such as open a business.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  1:21:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nah, just another day. My son was born on Friday the 13th and he was the easiest of all my babies :-).

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

AngelaMc
Star Contributor

Mar Vista, CA
USA
508 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  2:21:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What a fun thread! I once had a pair of twin black cats that I named "Friday" and "Thirteen" until they were old enough for me to realize that I had been calling the male cat "Friday". I renamed them after that.

The only superstition that I follow is that if my right palm itches it means that I have money coming my way within the next few days. Even if it's just my paycheck from my 9-5 job, my itchy right palm rarely lets me down!

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Maureen5360
Star Contributor

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  6:54:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Friday the 13th is usually a GOOD luck day for me. I'm looking forward to it this week because I have quite a few shops lined up that day plus a friend will meet me at lunch time and said it's her treat.
Go to Top of Page

ShowAngie
Valued Contributor

Greer, SC
USA
164 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  09:34:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I went into labor the same day as ColleenNYC (march 12, 1992). However, I had my baby on 3/13/92 - Friday the 13th. He is 13 now, and he is a wonderful kid. So, I guess Friday the 13th is a good luck day for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums