Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Tracie
Valued Contributor

Oswego, IL
USA
235 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  10:56:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Perhaps "animosity" was too strong of a word. I guess I was also thinking about another thread where "newbies" seemed to be looked down upon. I guess I was just too sensitive. I HAVE learned a lot so far, and I will continue to stick around so I can be a better shopper.

Tracie
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ElaineHN
Star Contributor

Georgia
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  12:53:43 PM  Visit ElaineHN's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Connie, there is another possibility or maybe several.

She could have fished for what she wanted, got it and left, as you suppose. (Which I agree is a bad thing) But, alternately, she could have made one post, felt smacked down, and left without information or a desire to continue forward. Or she could have read a little, become more familiar with the boards, re-registered with a different name to escape the stigma of being the 'bad' newbie who posted a question that received a chilly receiption.

I'm not defending anyone here ... but I do feel that there are more possibilities to a 'newbie' with one post than just selfishly gathering information and never contributing. My glass is ... half full ...

Elaine

~*~ Shopping West Georgia (Carrollton, Douglasville, Newnan, etc.) & Metro Atlanta ~*~
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

ElaineHN
Star Contributor

Georgia
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  1:59:11 PM  Visit ElaineHN's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hah! After my Doctor's appointment today, I think I need to lay off on the ... but then again, we know that's never going to happen! *lol* So next time we're in the same state ... you've got a date!

~*~ Shopping West Georgia (Carrollton, Douglasville, Newnan, etc.) & Metro Atlanta ~*~
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Howie
Trainee

Lake Mary, FL
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  2:07:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, there's a lot of conversation going on here. The comments are valid and I know that a lot of people ask the same darn questions (thanks Ray, for your patience). Frankly, I've signed up for about 6 or so companies that appeared to cover the greater Orlando area. None of them have contacted me within the past 6 months. Yet, I got a response saying that someone is being kept pretty busy. Maybe it's cuz I have 3 arms? Nah... Oh well, I did a lot of reading in this column and will keep monitoring it. Hopefully someone will respond and say...hey, here's a really active company with needs. Meanwhile, hang in there my friends. Better days are bound to be coming. Howie, Orlando (Lake Mary), FL.

Howie
Go to Top of Page

DKelley77
Contributor

Poplar Bluff, MO
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  10:49:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am new to the mystery shopper business and and avid reader of this forum. As you can see I do not post very often because, like Tracie, I havent felt like I had much to contribute. However, if I came across information that is important I would post it here. I think most "newbies" are mainly looking for the companies to stay away from. I value the input from the more experienced shoppers that contribute to this forum and am not looking to take any shops away from anyone.

DeAnna

Deanna
Proudly serving South East Missouri!
Go to Top of Page

.MaganHarries
Inactive

Decatur, AL
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  2:04:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
(This is my first time having the opportunity to help someone instead of asking questions all the time! )

Aside from the other advice given (apply apply apply) one thing that's helped me tremendously is doing a basic search for "Feedback Requested" here in the forums. The search will bring up pages & pages of different companies & you'll get to read the first-hand experience from all the "pros" here. You find out which companies are top of the line & which companies pay late, pay poorly, don't pay, have unhelpful schedulers, etc. It's helped me in deciding which companies to apply for & which to pass on & I find those posts very helpful.

Magan
MSPA Silver lij38o
Mystery Shopper in North Alabama (Decatur, Huntsville, Hartselle, Madison, Cullman, Athens & Moulton)
Go to Top of Page

BettyJean
Contributor

Marietta, GA
USA
72 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  10:25:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
From North-east Georgia.
I also am new. I've been shopping for just 2 months but have had enough jobs to know what I like and don't like. I listened in here for the last month. It has helped me know what agencies to watch out for not paying. I spent many days applying to mystery shops. I love Robo forms to fill things in. I hear people talking about companies that have a bad payment record yet they are still on the shop lists here at Volition. It would be nice to have the "bad" companies to be removed so a new shopper doesn't get one of them. Its bad to start off with a late paying company. From here I've learned to keep track of my payments.
Betty

Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end.
Go to Top of Page

Charity2174

Casa Grande, AZ
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  6:23:21 PM  Send Charity2174 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
So is there any way to see what company shops what states before sending in your personal information and signing up for tons of companies that you will NEVER work for? I have done the "apply, apply, apply" approach and would just like a mainlined version without knowing who is actually shopped. I just want to know what companies work in AZ so I can quit passing out info to strangers (as the victim of identity theft, you never know who see's your profile and uses it for their own twisted benefit).

SILVER CERTIFICATE 1eqpz8: Shopping through AZ; observing empoyees and hunting for bargains along the way!
Go to Top of Page

CorrineW
Star Contributor

WA
USA
285 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  7:58:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Even if you knew today what companies shop Arizona, tomorrow there may be a contract change between a retail company (or other) and a MS company. Then the company you previously passed up could very well be shopping your state. (see Ray's post above)

Corrine
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Charity2174

Casa Grande, AZ
USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  11:14:32 PM  Send Charity2174 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is a very good point! Do you ever have issues with not wanting to give out your social security number though? I think it would be better not to give it until I accept work instead of when I register because if I never work for them they it is not needed in my opinion.

SILVER CERTIFICATE 1eqpz8: Shopping through AZ; observing empoyees and hunting for bargains along the way!
Go to Top of Page

Mariellen53
Valued Contributor

Le Sueur, MN
USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  07:49:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of the things that I've found to be helpful is reading all the "Feedback Requested" on companies. I then look to see what areas of the US the posters live in. If they live in MN, or states close to me, and the info on the company is good, then I sign up with that company. I don't think I'm taking jobs from anyone doing it this way, as I work a full time job (with mandatory overtime right now) and can't check for jobs while I'm at work (and when you're gone from 6 a.m. till 6 p.m., a lot of jobs get posted and taken in that time). I am finding a greater variety of jobs, but it's all I can do now to keep up with the 40 or so companies that I have signed up with.

Silver Certified #moxkg0
Go to Top of Page

DianeCT
Apprentice

CT
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  11:10:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am brand new to all of this. I have only been shopping for about a week and a half and I have already done 6 shops and have more scheduled...and my state is a virtual wasteland when it comes to finding shops. I just had good timing I think. Anyway, I did a lot of legwork and signed up with every good company I could. And the "Feedback Requested" posts were a really great help in knowing who to steer clear of. I know many of you put so much time and effort into finding companies to shop for so I would never ask you all to divulge that info. I know how much work I put into it (a lot of 3-4am bedtimes this past week). Being a business owner as well I know you need to pay your dues like anyone else. It makes it all that much more rewarding.
Thanks everyone for the really great posts on this forum. And if I can contribute anything at all, I will sure "speak" up!
Diane

Diane
MSPA Silver Certified (vlnjky)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy on the SpaceCoast
Contributor

Palm Bay, FL
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  07:45:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charity2174

That is a very good point! Do you ever have issues with not wanting to give out your social security number though? I think it would be better not to give it until I accept work instead of when I register because if I never work for them they it is not needed in my opinion.
Charity2174, I share your concerns about the SSN issue. What I do on any of the apps I fill out (if I don't want to divulge my number) is put in 0's instead. Just put in the same amount of zeroes as in the # you don't want to give out. It fills the space, and it always works for me--I have never had a company say anything about it at all, and I do get jobs from those same companies. As an aside: I used to work in retail, where instant credit apps (over the phone) were a part of our job requirement. Some applicants did not want to give out SSN's or even Driver Licence #'s. But we found that we could enter zeroes and the apps would go through just fine, and the customer felt safe. Just my
Nancy

Shopping the Space Coast of Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ShawnS
Trainee

Smyrna, TN
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  08:46:03 AM  Send ShawnS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to second what everyone else has said in that you should apply to as many companies ans is humanly possible. That is what I did. Also the boards have great feedback on several companies. Personally, I would highly recommend several, but Certified Reports Inc./Certified Marketing jumps to mind, as they are great to work for IMHO. Good luck!

Shawn Spitaleri
MSPA Silver Certified #9b3vrs
Servicing Nashville, TN and the surrounding areas.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  1:55:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
ADMIN NOTE:

Before we go off on a tangent, please put any comments about SSN to the thread on that topic.

Revealing Social Security Number on Applications
Go to Top of Page

Rache
Contributor

Houston, Texas
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  2:40:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think this place is great. The Feedback threads are a necessity for any serious new shopper. I would be lost without them. I have learned so much here. I only hope that someday I can contribute half as much as information as I've taken.
Go to Top of Page

VickiA
Star Contributor

Rapid City, SD
USA
845 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  08:12:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I looked on Google.com and typed in mystery shopping in South Dakota. It brought up several sites that offered mystery shopping opportunities in my area.

Silver Shopper ID# 3akxzg Shopping Rapid City South Dakota and surrounding areas!
Go to Top of Page

GeriLynn
Contributor

OR
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2004 :  05:37:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
On the MSPA website it is possible to search for companies based on the locales that they shop. This can cut down on the number of pointless applications.

GeriLynn
Go to Top of Page

TerriKay
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  2:01:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They also have a job board that posts for each state. I used that as a starting place for companies to apply with. If they posted jobs for other places in my state, they may also have jobs in my area, so I would apply there.

Shopping Central WI
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

LaShan
Apprentice

Ringgold, GA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  6:37:08 PM  Visit LaShan's Homepage  Send LaShan an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to jump in as a newbie and say thanks to Ray for this forum and for being very kind and helpful the other day. I was able to find the answer to my question in the archives. I just had to search for the right key words. And a thank you to all of the members as well for sharing your experiences. I feel lucky to have found this forum just a few days ago.

In the last week I have spent 12 or more hours a day searching for companies and jobs and filling out apps. So far I've had 2 assignments and a few more prospects so hopefully I'm off to a good start. I live in an area where there just deosn't seem to be much available, but hopefully it's just because it's the end of the month or just not a busy shopping month here. When my brain has felt fried from constantly filling out the same info over and over I take a break and come here to read up and learn. I loved the 10 foot pole thread by the way! Sooo funny!

Thanks again for the helpful advice and a few laughs. I'm off to fill out some more apps

~A Lil Enchanted~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums