Page: of 7

EliseWeav
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
528 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  11:45:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
We're signed up with most of the companies listed here at Volition(except ones which are not in CA)
Do you mean that you did not sign up with any of the MS companies that are not located in CA? If so, you should sign up with ALL the companies listed here as they may have shops in your area--no matter where the MS company is located. There are many companies that do FF shops here in MA and I really don't recall where they are located, but, as far as I know, they are not located in this state.

Elise
Boston area, especially North Shore. Silver certified and shopping since 2004.
Go to Top of Page

Bri-in-CA
Valued Contributor

Ukiah, CA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  4:19:03 PM  Visit Bri-in-CA's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, what I meant is, companies that don't shop CA. Most of them are nationwide(even though, they may not have anything where we live)& we are signed up with all of those. We'd like to be able to find the ones which have clients in this area.

Silver certified & shopping Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino & Lake counties
Go to Top of Page

Dee in AZ
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
663 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  09:43:56 AM  Send Dee in AZ an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you are already signed up with most of the Volition companies then start signing up with the ones you haven't yet tried. Also sign up with some of the Yahoo MS groups that schedulers post on. (Do a search at Yahoo) and watch the self assign boards. Also watch the job postings here at Volition. Another idea is to browse the threads where shoppers list their favorite companies.

Deanna Kessler
Deannna.kessler@seelevelhx.com
Go to Top of Page

Bri-in-CA
Valued Contributor

Ukiah, CA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  1:21:43 PM  Visit Bri-in-CA's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, Dee. I have found a few more by going through the discussions. I do appreciate your suggestions. This site & it's members are a good resource.

Go to Top of Page

Bri-in-CA
Valued Contributor

Ukiah, CA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  2:11:22 PM  Visit Bri-in-CA's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last night, I was thinking, that some of the companies we're signed up with may actually have clients in our county. However, we haven't been informed of any assignments because there are either not enough shoppers to go around(so these places are only occasionally evaluated)or they have more shoppers than they need & only offer jobs if someone cancels or stops working for them. Maybe if we email them, from time to time, to let them know we're still interested, they'll keep us in mind when something opens up.

Go to Top of Page

Terri C.
Valued Contributor

ME
USA
121 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  3:40:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This site of course is excellent-

You can use a variety of shopping lists found on yahoo by other people who have listed companys, and some list areas the company has contracts in.

MSPA has a search available with where a company is located, most at least do business in the state they are located.

Shadow Shopper is FEE BASED- but you can also use the trial to find out which company hits on your area.

Fill in your area- some people have a smaller area they cover then others. Networking is also KEY- People can provide MS names, and let you sign up and search.

Bonuses-Some companies will pay shoppers who help get other shoppers.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferNC
Apprentice

Charlotte Metro Area, NC
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  4:06:02 PM  Send JenniferNC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
As a newbie to the forum who has been lurking, I have to say that I've learned a ton from the Volition forums, and give my thanks to all of you who have posted. I learned much from trial and error before I found Volition, and I've been reading some each day, as there a lot of great resources to digest in addition to new posts. I was pleased so see that I'd been doing things properly and got off to the correct start. I did sign up for the MS companies listed on this forum, I check certain sites regularly, even daily - I was surprised how many postings popped up during the weekend, so I know to check beyond just Monday through Friday... I've only been shopping a short time, and I was fortunate enough to be chosen for 9 good local shops in my first week and just went from there. I'm enjoying the work and am planning on getting Silver Cert. soon. I'm looking forward to learning more each day and getting to know everyone. Thanks to everyone who makes Volition successful.
Go to Top of Page

Judy in VA
Star Contributor

VA
USA
836 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  4:58:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of my perpetual lists is a spreadsheet I created which has the companies I have applied to, their contact info, and clients I know they shop. I created the client list from notices the MS company sends, from job listings and from my own shopping experiences. Even if a company has a national chain that is not in my area, I still record the client name...lo and behold, the client moves into my area and I know already who shops them (provided the contract does not change in the interim).

I update the list at least two to three times a day...that's why I call it my perpetual list!

MSPA 2007 Shopper of the Year
MSPA Gold Certified
Specializing in recorded and unrecorded phone shops
Go to Top of Page

Linda Pearlstein

Osprey, FL
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  9:14:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I so appreciate all the helpful suggestions I've been reading in this forum. I have been mystery shopping for two years, but just recently got my MSPA silver certification and am spending much more time checking job opportunities, especially those in the Sarasota, FL area.

I too am excited that Jobslinger.com will be offering SASSIE opportunities in a single place.

I have not, however, been able to find the "right" place on Yahoo to which a number of you refer. If you can, please provide an actual web address (more detailed than just yahoo groups). If you're from Florida, and know of a specific group focusing there, that would be terrific!

Thanks so much for all the valuable suggestions I've picked up as a - till now - silent reader.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Erik K
Valued Contributor

NY
USA
209 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  6:18:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a lot of movement among companies using MSCs. I have recently had six MSC contact me about assignments in my area that hasn't had assignments in the NY area before. I have also in the last three months picked up over a dozen jobs that I used to do for another MSC. So it doesn't hurt to sign up with MSC and wait .
Go to Top of Page

.Raydean White
Inactive

Mishawaka, IN
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  6:21:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This site is of coarse a great source but if your are reading this - you are already here right ? I found it helpful to google sassie and applied to the sites that came up on the search. Even if they don't have work in you area I know alot of us have done shops while out of down or on vacation Just my and I hope it helps someone :)

Raydean
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50247 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  3:27:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Conversely, if you were registered with the companies listed here on Volition you probably would not miss out any shops either (and not have to pay).
Go to Top of Page

Margee

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  4:54:09 PM  Send Margee an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
(This might be old news, but I only discovered it tonight.)

I am not sure how current the information is, but the MSPA website lets you search on companies by locations and regions served. I plugged in my state and found 115 companies that provided general mystery shopping here. I've already applied to three new companies!

http://www.mysteryshop.org/searchmspa/search.php
Go to Top of Page

Peter T. Sanderson
Valued Contributor

Pawley's Island, SC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  7:19:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Margee

the MSPA website lets you search on companies by locations and regions served.
If you search on 10 different states, you will find almost all the same companies come up for each. Even Alaska, Nevada and Hawaii has that many and we know all the companies do not serve those places. The same is true for Canada - almost same number of companies no matter where you look.

To quote a different topic here:
quote:
Basically all companies think they service all areas. Maybe they don't have a client there yet, but that does not mean they don't service that area.
SEE:
Why Don't Mystery Shopping Companies list the Locations they Actually service?
Go to Top of Page

Margee

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  7:47:40 PM  Send Margee an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Peter, I absolutely agree. However, the MSPA list for my state is shorter than the overall Volition list. This makes the idea of applying to every company shown less daunting. I was happy to find any kind of filter at all, even if woefully inadequate. YMMV, of course, because my state is pretty sparsely populated.
Go to Top of Page

PamBam
Star Contributor

Schaumburg, IL
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  07:30:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is what I do - I search a company's "Feedback Wanted" thread on this site and then I look at where all the posters are from. If no one from Illinois posts then I don't apply. This is of course after applying to all the ones that are nationwide or who specifically mention Illinois or the Midwest in their listing under MS companies.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping domestic and international locations since 2003
Go to Top of Page

Beth in TheWineCountry
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
161 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  3:00:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In general I agree with PamBam's response. I will say that there's been a couple of times I have not contributed to a thread with work in my area. So where the posters are from doesn't always indicate where the work is. JMHO

Beth

Gold Certified shopper happily evaluating
the North SF bay area
Go to Top of Page

CathyStucker
Contributor

Sugar Land, TX
USA
75 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  09:30:17 AM  Visit CathyStucker's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
One way to find assignments in your area is to search at http://jobs.volition.com/. You can search by location and find job postings for your area. It certainly will not be all of the companies with jobs around you, but it is a start.

Cathy Stucker
Go to Top of Page

JulieBee

Cincinnati, OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  8:08:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This topic was right on time . A big thank you to the moderator who emailed the link to me this morning after my first "accepted" post....whom ever you may be.

I had started out widdling away at the volition.com list but after ten applications to "A" companies, I had only found 2 shops in my area. But smooches to Linda Pearlstein for her post about jobslinger.com offering SASSIE opportunities in one place (although I did have find out what exactly a SASSIE was). Thanks to her, Ive been online all day signing up to MS companies that "actually" have shops near me. I went to jobslinger, did a zip code search and found 100+ results. I then proceeded to apply with about 15-20 companies, regardless of if I was interested in the "offered" shop or not. After visiting each company's site individually, I found shops that hadnt been listed on jobslinger or volition and that I was actually interested in. Im happy to report that I have 5 shops set up for next week.

Next, I plan to visit the sites suggested by AKBob (www.mystershop.org/searchmspa) and by Jeff68005 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XX-MysteryShops, XX=state abbreviation) so that I can do the same thing on those sites and hopefully get just as many "leads". Thanks to you all for the advice. Im positively ecstatic

Julie
Ohio Newbie Shopping the Greater Cincinnati Area
Go to Top of Page

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  7:54:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Great post. Although there is no real list of what MS company shops which states I wish there was. I am signed up with I am guessing 200+ companies MS and Merch. I have found that the only way to cover your bases is to blanket the whole field. Even then I find a new company every month to sign up with. Throughout my applications I have had schedulers email me from the companies saying that they do not have any jobs in my state. Well why dont you have that posted on your application? They say they file my application away. Good luck, ask questions. Many friendly people here.

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums