Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LoriJennings
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  9:50:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been doing resets on and off for 3 years. I have never done a cosmetic reset. I will be doing my first, by myself later this week in a drug store (Eckerds). The one day training the company set up was at the last minute so I could not attend. There are fixtures as well as pegs in the 60 ft. set. My supervisor says it will take about 30 hours. Does anyone have experience in doing cosmetic resets? I would really appreciate any tips that you can give me on how to make this reset go as smoothly as possible. Thanks.

DeeBee

PA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  06:42:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I found these planograms to be a little different from others, they are in columns not 4 or 6 ft sections. Get familiar with the planogram before you start once you know how they flow you should have no problem. If you can take a buddy it goes alot faster with one calling off the numbers and one looking at the wall. The numbers are pretty small. Hope this helps

DeeBee
Go to Top of Page

Tom
Contributor

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  06:55:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have done thousands of resets...I don't do them anymore...but you wanted tips...first and foremost in resets is to handle the product the least amount of time possible...step back, look at what you are going to do and plan...decide what products are discontinued and fire into a buggy...place other products in other buggies and separate as much as possible so you don't have a buggy that looks like a discount montague...if it is a 60' reset and more than 1 person is involved make sure you stagger the start time...this way you won't trip over one another...have one person start an hour earlier and take the product off the shelf... the second person can work the shelf alignment...if it is a 1 person set, God bless you...you will need it
Go to Top of Page

Emily Ann

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  07:55:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have done these resets for Eckerd for years. The best tip I can give is to give yourself one hour per foot. It will probably take you less, but there is always some sections were the fixtures are stuck or the current section is so out of plan that you have to pull everything off and start from scratch. Some stores have manufacturer fixtures that a different for each brand and it will take you a while to figure the easiest way to do each. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

PheePhee
Valued Contributor

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  2:49:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lori I wish you luck. I have only done one huge cosmetic reset and it wasn't easy with two of us. Cosmetics is one of the harder resets in my opinion because of all the small items.

The best tip I have is the same as what some of the other posters have said. Work in small sections at a time so that you won't be confused.

Phee
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2090 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  2:21:13 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
After doing a few cosmetic resets, my advice would be..don't! They are HORRIBLE!! I would rather do a reset on 2x4's than cosmetic.

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

SuzanneConnell

Fort Worth, Texas
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  5:22:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
i would prefer cosmetic resets!
don't like doing the food ones. still have the bump from the shelf of soup that attacked me.

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

MaryL
Valued Contributor

Richmond, VA
USA
185 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  03:49:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Either you love cosmetic resets or hate them. I do not thingk there is any in between. The rule of thumb is it will take an hour per foot. I think they are are too intense because it is a tight fit. The product is to be so close you do not see any pegboard, but the product can not touch! Start at the bottom, and set a plot first with one piece, then when set, you can fill in. Keep your product on the pegs when you take them down so they stay together. I would never do a 60 foot cosmetic reset alone. I would feel like I live at the store. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

CindyJ_MerchRep
Trainee

CO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:24:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished my first cosmetic reset a few days ago. The four foot and six foot sections went well, but the 14 foot section was a nightmare! There was a very lengthy delete list. We tried to pull all of the deletes first before we did anything else. But after we were done I wondered if it would have been better to leave all the product on the wall and pull the deletes as we came to them in each section. We ended up having to rescue some products from the delete boxes as they were pulled by mistake. Any new advice on resets would be appreciated as I have another one (4 foot) coming up the end of the month. Thanks!

CindyJ_MerchRep
Go to Top of Page

MSuggitt

Sault Ste Marie, MI
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  9:25:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have good eyesight, but really, couldn't they make the cosmetic POG's a little bigger and easier to read. And counting the peg holes can drive you batty if you let it. And after 30 hours alone on a cosmetic reset, I wonder how long before you go back down a cosmetic aisle?

Maureen Suggitt, Northern MI
Shopper*Merchandiser* Photographer*Data Collector*Web Research
Go to Top of Page

CindyJ_MerchRep
Trainee

CO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  11:52:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
While doing a cosmetic reset we found product on the wall that was not on the planogram, nor was it on the delete list. Do you ask the cosmetic dept manager what she wants to do with it, or put it in the delete box or do you put it in a seperate box all of its own? There were also products that matched by "name" like "Evening Eyewear Shawdow #4" but the UPC or stock code did not match. Then we had products that were a mix of new packaging and old packaging. Really would like to hear how some of you deal with these issues. Even hearing that you have encountered them would help a lot. Thanks!

CindyJ_MerchRep
Go to Top of Page

JennyK22

Marietta, GA
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  03:35:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So true - you either love them or hate them - no inbetween!

Regarding product on the wall that is not on the delete list nor the POG, I pull the off, put them in a separate basket, box or bag and label "Not on POG" (not on planogram). I notify the cosmetic person in charge of what they are - explain not on POG or delete list. They can handle it from there.

And, I would always pull my deletes first, before beginning the reset. If you accidentally pull something that you shouldn't have, you'll get a feel for it as time goes on. It happens.

Go to Top of Page

Rose M

Tucson, AZ
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  11:59:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done CVS stuff before (Eckhard is CVS in my area.) I enjoy their resets. The planos are different than I've seen at other stores but I found them a lot easier to read than a typical plano. I think it's because they do break then down into smaller sections, which makes the little bitty pieces easier to find/read. The last CVS we did, the problem wasn't the planos or anything, it was assembling the Cover Girl/Max Factor fixtures as the directions appeared to be translated from some obscure dialect of Martian! I'm actually starting to like cosmetic resets because I've done a lot of them lately. Like any job, there's a learning curve. In general, cosmetic lines do change seasonally, but once you're familiar with them, the changes make sense.

Are you working with Spar or with another company? This was my first Spar job, and aside from the long days (10 hour days, but there was no quibbling on breaks or anything and the leads were cool to work with.) I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Actually, with the Albertson's/Osco buyout, there's a bunch of Osco's in my area that are going to be remodeled/rebranded as CVS. I've already let them know I'm available.

You've already got great advice from most of the posters. I believe Eckhard has carpeting, but you still want to bring kneepads or something to kneel on. After a day or so, your knees aren't going to care! They've always supplied the cleaning stuff for us, but I still carry some in the car anyway, just in case the store manager prefers something scented that I'm allergic too. I'm not sure if CVS has the same policy as Eckhard on shelf height, but one of the things I really like, is that most of their gondolas are short! 6 feet or less, and I can reach almost anything. If you can't check out the area where you'll be working ahead of time, bring a step stool. The store we were working in had 3 stools, a crew of 11 and most of us were in the 5 feet or below range. The step-stools became a hot commodity. Some of their wall sets are really tall, and you may have several sections of those depending on which area you're resetting. If it's a full reset, you're sure to have several wall sections.

I do have a pegboard hint that I didn't see. You may want to get two measuring tapes, like you use for sewing. Most pegboards have holes an inch apart, so you tape one tape across the top and another going down and you can use the numbers on the tape for your peg count. You can also run two strips of masking tape the same way, and use a marker to number them. It takes a few minutes, but I found it saves time in the long run. The masking tape trick is really handy if you have set with smaller spaces than usual between the peg holes. You can find the measure tapes at the dollar store pretty often for less than at a fabric or craft store.

Good luck and have fun.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Ocala, FL
USA
876 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  12:47:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Rose!! What company does cosmetic resets in CVS stores? I think that SPAR does resets in Rite Aid (but not sure).
I did a cosmetic reset in Wal-Mart and enjoyed it.

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Rose M

Tucson, AZ
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  1:13:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Spar does. They also open and remodel CVS/Eckhard stores. The hours are long but the pay is good, and I liked the crew we were on. Their website is http://www.sparinc.com/index_10.htmif you'd like to inquire with them.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

Brenda C

Aberdeen, NJ
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  9:20:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As far as pulling deletes FIRST, it IS a good idea only if you don't spend a lot of time looking for them. If they are all together, like all one type of lipstick being deleted, fine, but otherwise, don't take a lot of time to find those deletes. If you are doing a reset, you will find that everything that is left at the END, is a delete!! Much easier to check out what's LEFT at the end than to FIND it at the beginning of the reset, especially if you are NOT familiar with the merchandise and where it is. I like working for Spar, they give you a set amount of time for each cosmetic manufacturer, and if you work fast, you make time and money. The first one may take the time, but if you work on 5 or more of the same manufacturer, you will definitely make time as you go on!

Shopping Jersey!
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  6:51:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have advice for doing cosmetic resets in Dollar General
Stores? I am doing an 8 foot section.The paperwork says that it should take no more than 4 hours to complete.I have 7 Dollar General
Stores with cosmetic resets. I plan to arrive at the stores right when they open.Hopefully I can get one reset done per day.I really
do not want to have to return to any store for a second day of working on the reset.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Karen A.
Star Contributor

Hudson, NC
USA
297 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  09:57:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did Dollar Generals last summer and loved it!If you are alone I would suggest 1 4ft section at a time.I had a partner she did 1 section and I did the other.We sorted the product as it was taken down and grouped it together.The pegboard is not bad as long as it was installed correctly.After fixture is set to POG the deletes are sorted from non-POG product.I found this procedure is alot simpler and faster than pulling all product down, looking for deltes, and then resetting.
Good luck!

Karen A.
Go to Top of Page

TBlake

Persia, Iowa
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  10:09:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also have 7 dollar general resets to do, I dont know if it is for the same company, but I was told that they are not total resets, we are taking down deletes and adding new product. I actually love cosmetic resets, and have 30 family dollar resets coming up in the next month or so, not to mention covergirl and neutragena that I do on a normal basis. One tip I can give on Covergirl is to make sure the (I cannot think of what to call these)things that go into the pegboard to attach the trays to they are labeled with L(left) and R (right), are going the right direction. when working on the edges and the 4 foot dividers they go the opposite direction. if you do not have then right, you will use up to much space on the wall.
I hope that was not to confusing

have fun
theresa
merchandising in Ne. and Ia.
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  10:39:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am glad that overtime pay is being approved for the Dollar General cosmetic resets.Guess that this is one project that is taking longer to complete than the company had originally anticipated.I was thinking that it was probably only me who was taking longer than 4 hours to complete the reset.Apparently this is not the case at all.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JennyT.OH
Valued Contributor

OH
USA
119 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  4:28:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was able to do the cosmetic reset within the 4 hour time, but it took another hour to locate and price the Crest product, find, locate, stock and price the Luvs, and hang the Prilosec sign...

I would much rather do a total reset than a partial...not as many "peg bites" on my hands happen during a total reset. That said, if anybody is worried about these sets, they are easy. My set did not include any trays like another poster mentioned dealing with. Everything is on pegs, including Cover Girl.

Always looking for great companies to work for in the SW OH, SE IN and Northern KY areas!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums