Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat (1) | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 What's on your resume for merchandising?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StaceeS
Apprentice

Louisville, NE
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  09:32:52 AM  Visit StaceeS's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Many of the merchandisng jobs require you submit your resume. How do you list the merchandising jobs you've had? What if you haven't done any? Do you still send you resume? What if you have no retail experience? What are some of your experiences?

Just wondering
Stacee

Stacee
Mystery Shopping, merchandising, surveys, research and more

Christina Hoppel

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  12:51:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote

I would suggest using any and all job related experience you can. If you have worked in retail focus on all the areas of retail you are familiar with. If you have previous merchandising or mystery shopping experience be sure to make those qualifications stand out on your resume. I would still include your other employers on the resume so there are not any gaps in your work history. Most merch comapnies just want to know that you can walk into a store and confidently represent their clients.

Christina
Go to Top of Page

.Sheri Stergeon
Inactive

California
USA
137 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  12:54:08 PM  Visit .Sheri Stergeon's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have done merchandising on a personal level as well as scheduled for about 3 other companies and now own my own merchandising company. I am just speaking from my own personal opinion but would like to try to answer your question. Many times we like to see a person’s work history (even if it doesn’t include “Merchandising” jobs). Basically we are looking to see if you have been responsible, if you have worked at similar jobs and or worked independently. If you do have experience, listing the merchandising jobs you have had should be as detailed as possible with all the aspects of merchandising included that you have experience with.

As far as the "Non-Experience" .... we all have to start somewhere. I think most companies will hire you (experienced or not) if you can write to them personally and tell them that you are new but a fast learner and VERY RELIABLE! "Reliability" is our main priority when scheduling jobs. I have hired MANY reps that write a "personal" email to me, asking me to give them a chance. More times than not, they have turned out to be my BEST reps!

We can always work with a non-experienced rep, but we can’t change the habits of a flake! If you show us that you are strong in communication and reliability, then your non-experience is not that big of an issue!

Good-Luck!

Sheri Stergeon
Go to Top of Page

CathyPlumb
Contributor

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  8:31:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi,

You are welcome to use my tips for preparing a resume:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/cathyscorner2/messages?msg=122.1

Though it is not Merchandising specific, you can use it as an outline.

Also, here are some tips and examples of a coverletter to go with your resume.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/cathyscorner2/messages?msg=323.2
http://forums.delphiforums.com/cathyscorner2/messages?msg=123.1

Good Luck,

Cathy Plumb

Cathy Plumb
Go to Top of Page

Warren

Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  08:48:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What's the most information you can provide on a resume or application before violating any confidentiality agreements?
Obviously you can't say "I've worked for ABC merchandising company, where I've serviced the X product in various XYZ locations in my area."

Should you mention the merchandising/mystery shopping companies by name, then list the various types of work you've done (ie: resets, cut-ins, inventory, audits, etc.)?

or

NOT list the companies, but DO name the retailers you service, or have serviced, and mention the type of work you've done?

Should you ever mention the actual product line you've serviced? If so, which would you have to omit to keep from violating the agreements? The merchandising co. or the retail outlet?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Warren
Go to Top of Page

CarlaDrake07
Apprentice

Janesville, Wisconsin
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:45:19 AM  Send CarlaDrake07 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Stacee, I just got a great permanant Merchandising job. I used all of my retail experience and my mystery shopping experience. Talk to your interviewer like you already have the job. Then make sure you call them back to check to see if you have the job. My point, make sure you show them you want the job and are willing to go to any length to get it. Hope you get what you want,
Carla

Carla Drake
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums