Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

BrendaBlount

Houston, TX
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  8:59:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also work for Foster Grant and yes they are wonderful to work for the work is easy, And the DM I work under is great.

Brenda The Vendor
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  1:57:14 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kelly, dont worry about your inexperience. This is a very easy job to do. Good training for other work that comes available down the road with other companies. Today, it seems that having experience or not, doesnt make too much difference if you look at the qualifications most companies enter when they place ads. We are becoming a dying breed it seems and some towns just dont have a high number of reps, so work is there if you are in a minority in your town or area. What most seem to appreciate is any experience working in a retail environment.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly M
Valued Contributor

Clarksville, Arkansas
USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  8:01:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a new contact into, website that works for this company? The link here does not work.Thanks

Kelly M
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  06:03:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kelly, go to NARMS and do a search for the company under the alphabetical letter "F". AAI foster grant is one in the same. A telephone number is also available although, not toll free. You can try the number I have which is toll free: 800-283-3090. In most cases if you touch "0" you should be connected to the operator. Also, anyone in the forum that is presently an employee could give you contact info for their DM from a state closer to you. Im sure any DM would be very happy to contact the DM for your state. You could also go to their website: fgxi.com Hope any of this information helps you. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

BarbaraLS

CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  3:03:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The newest happenings with Foster Grant: Right now I'm not a very happy rep due to cuts in hours, frequencies and, most of all, the cut of the mileage allowance that was $.55/mile after 20 miles. It's my opinion that the $9M ad campaign with Raquel Welch as the model has a lot to do with this. Anyone else have any comments to make?

BarbaraL
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  08:38:34 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll take a stab at this Barbara. With the economic times we are in, it might be that FGXI is putting the word out, via the TV, to let potential customers know that the companies glasses are affordable for those not able to purchase optical grade glasses. Its true the reps possibly will lose hours temporarily, but if in the long run these ads draw more business into the stores, we stand to win with more hours and possibly new accounts to service. As far as commercials go, we see it being done by many companies that ordinarily didnt promote on TV, then the reps pay for it by losing hours. I dont know which is worse, the commercials, or, when one of the companies we work for brings in another new store account to our team, then reduces our hours to pay the wages of the new team hires.
It sounds as though you do real good with FG. Here in Northern WI., we dont get paid mileage. We are strictly held to servicing only the community in which we live. If we want to do out of city work for the added income, we can, but we receive no extra pay. Without the mileage reimbursement, it doesnt pay to travel 30-50 miles for instore service pay only.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1709 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  5:42:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Barbara, sorry to hear you were cut. I hope other things will pan out for you now.
Go to Top of Page

Tina M

Texas
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  08:30:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked for FGX for over five years. I have received mileage on and off over the five years. I have had three different DM's. My mileage is always cut with the reason that FGX will not pay mileage anymore. So are you guys getting mileage? I travel 30 to 50 miles for some jobs. I try to pair this up with other work. I always do what they need to get things done. At times, this had meant driving up to 70 miles + to work. I get frustrated with the milage issue. Then they hire someone to take the outlying stores, but they won't travel to them. So they end up getting my steady local work. Frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  2:14:18 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
It amazes me that you talk of receiving mileage pay from FGXI. In the 5 plus years Ive worked for them they have never paid mileage here. There have been times that Ive been asked to do a reset in a smalltown 30 miles away, and all theyd pay was an extra half hour to service the store. Also, trying to build on my territory, there are many small towns within 50 miles that need service, but no available reps in the area. After inquiring about taking those4 on, I was told that I could, but no extra pay, or mileage allowance, would be available. I think a good many of us envy you that get reimbursement, and also feel cheated because we dont.
Go to Top of Page

SuzNic

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  8:19:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am not understanding why no one has mentioned being paid "Premium pay" since FG doesnt pay "mileage".
No one else gets the $2.50 "Premium" pay per store??
It isn't considered mileage or gas pay, but it suppose to help towards that. It is added to every store visit when you enter it in the computer.
Surely I am not the only one?? I thought this was company-wide.
I have worked for the company for 4 years and have received it since i started.
When I have a drug store on one corner, the other drug store across the street, and a grocery store on the other corner the $7.50 extra sure beats the 1 mile I would have claimed working for a company that pays between stores only.
Go to Top of Page

Kat66
Apprentice

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  10:30:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been with FGXI for about a year and a half.
I have always received the $2.50 and in most cases,
this does cover my gas/mileage expenses, even though
it was tight when gas prices were high.
I have also recently been in that situation where I've been
asked by my DM to help out a new rep that is having trouble.
Her store is a good 20-30 miles away. She wants me to help with
a few more that are even further away and I told her that I cannot justify the travel unless I can add a little time (as was previously done with my old DM...this one is new). She didn't say anything and I am waiting to hear. I think the DM's hands are tied. I think this is a corporate decision. We're not trying to make money on going to far out stores, just don't want to lose money.

Kathleen

Kat
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  2:50:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was reading thru the old posts from almost a year ago. Is the pay still $10.00 per hour or has it gone up? And is there still no drive time or mileage? Thanks for any info

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1709 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  4:02:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It depends on how long and where you work for them. I have been with them for 3 years now. Sometimes if they need a rep they pay drivetime and miles but they are cutting back now. They are stopping mailings too. The starting pay with FGXI is higher than most other companies and every year (if you do your job) you get a raise. Works for me.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  8:59:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks MCBarb. They had an opening in my area so i applied today. It was for the FGXI. We'll see if i'm accepted or not. I got the email that said if my qualifications meet what they need after they review my resume and the answers i gave them then they'll give me a call for an interview.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

DLampkin
Star Contributor

New York City, NY
USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  02:35:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just remembered that a friend of mine does merchandising for Foster Grant, and so I came here to check the board and see what people think about the company. I found this post amusing:
quote:
The newest happenings with Foster Grant . . . cuts in hours, frequencies and . . . the mileage allowance that was $.55/mile after 20 miles. It's my opinion that the $9M ad campaign with Raquel Welch as the model has a lot to do with this.
This gave me a chuckle because I remember seeing Foster Grant commercials with Raquel Welch on TV when I was a kid -- and that was back in the sixties!

So, anyway, any current opinions on this company?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1709 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  06:53:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I still work for them. I do love my job!! They have cut back on service visits. Now they are not sending printed instructions for projects..we have to print them. They gave a $.05 more for visits to cover the printing. They have cut back on everything since they went public. They used to give us a Christmas bonus and those are gone too. I strongly recommend working for FGXI.
Go to Top of Page

MarilynG.CA

Salinas, CA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  5:19:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
An additional 5 cents doesn't begin to cover the cost of time, paper and ink; they need to give us at least 50 cents. That's the going rate with Premium Retail and, if they want to compare with other companies (they said something like other companies require reps to print out paperwork), then they should investigate before they come up with 5 whole cents.
Go to Top of Page

BarbaraLS

CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  5:31:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I seriously doubt that Raquel has increased sales, most younger people don't have a clue who she is and, if someone needs glasses, I don't think she will influence their decision one bit.

BarbaraL
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  8:19:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Crossmark on pays 6 cents, and we have alot of colored things that we have to print.........doesn't even get close to covering the cost.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1709 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  8:49:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do not print everything. I write notes and take them with me. If I have to print .... I do, but I haven't had to print anything yet. I totally agree the nickel doesn't cover the cost of printing ..that is why I do not print.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums